Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Neil's work with Lana hasn't been good since Honeymoon and I think people don't want to admit it because we've built him up to be THE best Lana photographer in her career but it's just not good anymore I'm afraid

I sorta agree.  the photos since then don’t exactly do much other than capture a pretty photo of her.

His stuff before would evoke such strong feelings and moods just from looking at the photo, now it’s really nothing more than a well shot portrait, which is fine too. 

however, his photos for COCC were horrible, at least for BB everything looks nice 

I honestly don't give a shit whether or not Lana makes piano ballads or not. It's never been a bother to me like it bothers a lot of people.

Lyricism is one of the most important aspects of music in my perspective, so whether Lana is turning her poetry into a track that has more production to it or something more stripped down, if there is thought put into the lyrics, I know that I'll enjoy it. (Why songs that just sound lazy lyrically such as Happiness is a Butterfly, Guns and Roses, In My Feelings, Coachella, White Mustang have nothing on well written tracks like all of the Blue Banisters singles or most of Chemtrails for example). 

Also, all of her piano ballads have been drastically different from each other. I never understood the big gripes people have with piano based tracks. She's fine tuning her craft.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 hour ago, Jaeden xx said:

lolita is one of Lanas best songs (pretty sure this is an unpopular opinion) 

the demo version most definitely is! gets me high everytime, just might go listen to it now

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

Chuck and Charlie are bad at their craft. Amateurish. Year after year, mediocrity.

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

On 9/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, Angelic Tropico said:

When she was talking about her revenge and the end clips of Arcadia video, I thought the whole “I don’t give a fuck” thing was her protesting a bit too much. I don’t think she has that attitude deep down. I think she gives too much of a fuck hence why a lot of her lyrics now revolve around the public’s perception of her.

Hopefully, she can learn to be unbothered by the masses now that she’s out of the public eye. It must absolutely destroy someone’s mental health

RIGHT BOO i love her but its pretty obvious that she absolutely gives a fuck! and that's okay - i would be FUCKED UP if i was in her shoes :toofunny:

my unpopular opinion, on a connected note: sometimes my problem with lana is that she seems unable to distinguish valid criticism from unnecessary hate. sometimes she receives really warranted backlash or criticism for stuff, but because she had so much cruelty and hate throughout the first few years of her career i think she can't tell the difference and she just lumps it all in together. i wish she'd see the nuance in things a little more :ohno:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

11 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

my unpopular opinion, on a connected note: sometimes my problem with lana is that she seems unable to distinguish valid criticism from unnecessary hate. sometimes she receives really warranted backlash or criticism for stuff, but because she had so much cruelty and hate throughout the first few years of her career i think she can't tell the difference and she just lumps it all in together. i wish she'd see the nuance in things a little more :ohno:

I totally agree. I don’t blame her either though. I can’t even imagine what it’s like to have hundreds of thousands of people send you unnecessary hate on the most insignificant things. It’s like being bullied in high school except your bullies aren’t a few popular kids, it’s a million strangers. It’s not your teenage bullies spreading gossip in class or through dms, instead the gossip is plastered across magazines and news articles. It’s bullying on an immense scale. No wonder so many celebs have ended their lives or had their lives ended by drugs, etc…

The highs of the job are extremely high - being praised for what you love to do, being rich, and having people adore you. However, the lows are catastrophically low. I don’t think I could live my life like that. Hopefully, her distancing herself will provide her with some mental stability and the ability to differentiate between hate and genuine criticism

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

3 hours ago, Thunder said:

I honestly don't give a shit whether or not Lana makes piano ballads or not. It's never been a bother to me like it bothers a lot of people.

Lyricism is one of the most important aspects of music in my perspective, so whether Lana is turning her poetry into a track that has more production to it or something more stripped down, if there is thought put into the lyrics, I know that I'll enjoy it. (Why songs that just sound lazy lyrically such as Happiness is a Butterfly, Guns and Roses, In My Feelings, Coachella, White Mustang have nothing on well written tracks like all of the Blue Banisters singles or most of Chemtrails for example). 

Also, all of her piano ballads have been drastically different from each other. I never understood the big gripes people have with piano based tracks. She's fine tuning her craft.

This is almost verbatim my thought process, and it’s relieving to hear someone share that opinion!

A lot of the music Lana currently produces is—compared to piano-driven records throughout the last 50+ years—is far from “stripped.” Thinking of Lana’s inspirations, it would almost be silly to imagine someone criticizing Joni Mitchell or Stevie Nicks for tracks like Blue or Planets of the Universe on the basis of them being dominated by piano. 

Are Lana’s newer tracks relatively more organic from her earlier music? Sure, but that doesn’t make them sparse or objectively worse in any sense. I’m sympathetic to people missing her more grandiose soundscapes, but assuming that she’s gone downhill for limiting a song to 1-5 instruments is beyond me lol

I think criticisms of how the piano is implemented are completely valid & worth considering, but assuming an album is boring because it’s largely centered around piano and her vocals is just hard to wrap my head around. 

That being said, I think the production on the triple singles suit the narrative perfectly. I think she’s achieving a really classic, organic sound, and I think approaching the record without the shadows of her more accessible/pop-y discography would really generate more praise among listeners  

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

4 hours ago, GetFree said:

Chuck and Charlie are bad at their craft. Amateurish. Year after year, mediocrity.

Agreed, and this opinion has nothing to do with them as people - they are probably very nice - but I'm not gonna sit here and say their work is outstanding just because they are her siblings. I think some of Chunk's work is good, idk enough about Charlie's to say - but they are limiting themselves by predominantly working for their sister, and they are definitely limiting Lana because she cannot say no to them.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

9 minutes ago, Yayo6408 said:

Maybe some takes look so, but only because Lana wanted it in this way, she was directing the video.

she literally said the video was directed by nobody :rip:

I actually like the video and the filming, the effects not that much

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

5 hours ago, Yayo6408 said:

I don't see this. Charlies camera work for Arcadia for example was a very good job.

Lmao where? Tiktok kids make better 'aesthetic' videos. My local photographers who do it part time and don't pay models because they're also amateurs can do a 10000x better job. With good equipment and filters a solid job is the bare minimum. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

3 hours ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

she literally said the video was directed by nobody :rip:

I actually like the video and the filming, the effects not that much

I think her videos need no special effects either, but in this case it was a good stylistic device projecting L.A. pictures (in warm colors) onto her body. This is a special song, she had never made such an emotional ballad and the effects aided to intensify emotions.

UV’s highs are incredible and it used to be my favourite Lana album, but now it’s among my least: CW is far too long; the title track is a beautiful melody overwhelmed by an overcrowded production and inconsistent lyrics; BB is lyrically embarrassing, as with FMWUTTT and PWIC - overall the lyrics on this album are her weakest, which is a pity because I want to love this album, it’s sonically among her best.

7 minutes ago, ByDayAnother said:

UV’s highs are incredible and it used to be my favourite Lana album, but: CW is far too long; the title track is a beautiful melody overwhelmed by an overcrowded production and inconsistent lyrics; BB is lyrically embarrassing, as with FMWUTTT and PWIC - overall the lyrics on this album are her weakest, which is a pity because I want to love this album, it’s sonically among her best.

I like UV, but it's nowhere near her best albums. It's not that good lyrically, the sound is amazing tho, but the tracklist wasn't well-structured and she made some real CHOICES while chosing which songs would make the cut and which not. I wish she had sticked with that 2013 acoustic/pure grunge rock sound with songs like UFB, Flipside, Cherry Blossom, Nectar of the Gods, Heart Shaped Box, Living Legend, Your Girl, Cruel World, Pretty When I Cry and Angels Forever