Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

38 minutes ago, ByDayAnother said:

UV’s highs are incredible and it used to be my favourite Lana album, but: CW is far too long; the title track is a beautiful melody overwhelmed by an overcrowded production and inconsistent lyrics; BB is lyrically embarrassing, as with FMWUTTT and PWIC - overall the lyrics on this album are her weakest, which is a pity because I want to love this album, it’s sonically among her best.

i think cruel world is a solid opening track, but i will admit, it really drags on sometimes, it doesn't really go anywhere, it doesn't have a bridge, it's repetitive, i do love it's vibe, sound, & vocal style, it's very visceral

WGe8ynS.gif

I feel like being even more unpopular than usual, so:

I have been contemplating Costco why she left socials and I actually think it has less to do with the media/hate than it does with burnout in relation to her art. 

In actuality, it's likely that the former exacerbated the latter. I know she's doing two albums but one is covers and the other is basically half old concepts. 

Idk if it's writer's block exactly. I think she might be finding herself not enjoying the process anymore, which in turn would lead to a downturn in creativity. I hope no one interprets this as a personal insult towards her because it's not. Many brilliant people can suffer burnout. 

And so by removing herself from socials and by extension, her fans and all of the pressures associated with releases and keeping up appearances, she's probably hoping to simplify and find her way again. 

And maybe when she said she's leaving to seek transparency she means getting in touch with her own feelings and being honest with herself instead of trying to be and do what other people want, which she has seemed more prone to do the past couple of years. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

6 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Idk if it's writer's block exactly. I think she might be finding herself not enjoying the process anymore, which in turn would lead to a downturn in creativity.

This. Personally, I’d add that I feel like she’s not all there anymore. It’s very interesting to me because her lyrics seem to be more soul-baring than ever albeit in a diary-entry level, and not the unique self-expression she’s known for. I guess she’s all tired of it and just puts it out there now, trying to explain herself in the most « authentic » (according to herself, I think) manner, and if it works for her, it’s all good but it falls a bit flat for me. Overall, it’s interesting to see her change over the years.

4 minutes ago, lili said:

This. Personally, I’d add that I feel like she’s not all there anymore. It’s very interesting to me because her lyrics seem to be more soul-baring than ever albeit in a diary-entry level, and not the unique self-expression she’s known for. I guess she’s all tired of it and just puts it out there now, trying to explain herself in the most « authentic » (according to herself, I think) manner, and if it works for her, it’s all good but it falls a bit flat for me. Overall, it’s interesting to see her change over the years.

Yes exactly. I wouldn't go so far as to say she's lacking creativity, but at the same time, her saying it's an album based on herself and her story is telltale in some ways. I mean isn't that what her music has always been, but in a much more abstract way? The 3 singles + Arcadia are much more direct and there's nothing wrong with it, but it occurred to me (and I'm sure, to her) - where to from here? 

3 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Yes exactly. I wouldn't go so far as to say she's lacking creativity, but at the same time, her saying it's an album based on herself and her story is telltale in some ways. I mean isn't that what her music has always been, but in a much more abstract way? The 3 singles + Arcadia are much more direct and there's nothing wrong with it, but it occurred to me (and I'm sure, to her) - where to from here? 

« Much more abstract way », that’s the key to me as a listener. She emphasizes being a poet, and to me, poetry is essentially about word economy because it’s pretty much a condensed form which plays with images beautifully and telling the ugly or beautiful in an evocative manner (at least, the great ones). I say poetry, because I’m sure she considers her lyrics to be poems first now. And the music seems redundant to me when the lines seem to be trying to fit into it rather than bringing melody and lyrics together brilliantly which she’s very much capable of. Arcadia sounded better than others to me, but still comparatively, because it also sounds as if someone tried to write what their conception of a Lana song is.

I can’t see what her trajectory will be like either.

5 minutes ago, lili said:

« Much more abstract way », that’s the key to me as a listener. She emphasizes being a poet, and to me, poetry is essentially about word economy because it’s pretty much a condensed form which plays with images beautifully and telling the ugly or beautiful in an evocative manner (at least, the great ones). I say poetry, because I’m sure she considers her lyrics to be poems first now. And the music seems redundant to me when the lines seem to be trying to fit into it rather than bringing melody and lyrics together brilliantly which she’s very much capable of. Arcadia sounded better than others to me, but still comparatively, because it also sounds as if someone tried to write what their conception of a Lana song is.

I can’t see what her trajectory will be like either.

I agree that Arcadia is better than the previous three but yes - to me, that song feels like she is trying way too hard to capture that quality that seemed to be effortlessly present in her past music. I can't even pinpoint what that quality is, but your description of it sounding like someone trying to sound like Lana is spot on.

9 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I agree that Arcadia is better than the previous three but yes - to me, that song feels like she is trying way too hard to capture that quality that seemed to be effortlessly present in her past music. I can't even pinpoint what that quality is, but your description of it sounding like someone trying to sound like Lana is spot on.

The fact that we never could pinpoint the quality present in her music was what made her so great, influential and haunting. That quality which made you feel like you’re witnessing something never been done before, revealing nooks in your brain which you didn’t know to exist… That is the magic of truly purely great music to me. I still respect and am happy for people who are able to find the same magic through her music, and as much as I’m going to be following what she’s up to, I can’t say I’m that interested anymore.

3 minutes ago, lili said:

The fact that we never could pinpoint the quality present in her music was what made her so great, influential and haunting. That quality which made you feel like you’re witnessing something never been done before, revealing nooks in your brain which you didn’t know to exist… That is the magic of truly purely great music to me. I still respect and am happy for people who are able to find the same magic through her music, and as much as I’m going to be following what she’s up to, I can’t say I’m that interested anymore.

Sadly I feel the same way but of course I will give the album a chance

At the very least the UV outtakes should be interesting

54 minutes ago, lili said:

Arcadia sounded better than others to me, but still comparatively, because it also sounds as if someone tried to write what their conception of a Lana song is.

hadn't figured out what exactly it was with Arcadia that made it feel a little off for me but this description sounds like my exact feelings :oprah3: I still like the song and think it's beautiful, but honestly...

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, Thunder said:

I honestly don't give a shit whether or not Lana makes piano ballads or not. It's never been a bother to me like it bothers a lot of people.

Lyricism is one of the most important aspects of music in my perspective, so whether Lana is turning her poetry into a track that has more production to it or something more stripped down, if there is thought put into the lyrics, I know that I'll enjoy it. (Why songs that just sound lazy lyrically such as Happiness is a Butterfly, Guns and Roses, In My Feelings, Coachella, White Mustang have nothing on well written tracks like all of the Blue Banisters singles or most of Chemtrails for example). 

Also, all of her piano ballads have been drastically different from each other. I never understood the big gripes people have with piano based tracks. She's fine tuning her craft.

I agree with this so much. Her "boring piano flops" are literally...all different? Not only that but they usually take up such a small percentage of her albums. I'll also never understand people blaming Jack for them either, two of the piano songs on NFR were from Nowels and Jack just added guitar to HIAB. Chemtrails has like one piano song and it's extremely unique in her discography (WD of course). Hardly boring and I wouldn't call it a flop either. 

Also does Arcadia give anyone like Josh Groban vibes or is that just me. It's very adult contemporary to me. I think it's the vocals and production

I'll never forget Lana comparing herself to FKA Twigs, basically saying "why can Twigs dancing on a pole be called art and me being called x or x". I never see the stans that defend her for QFTC address that and it seems off to me. Twigs' pole dancing has been so interwoven in her career, the only time I can recall Lana pole dancing is literally in Tropico, which was mainly known only by fans. Twigs is also a lot less well known than Lana, who was almost a household name at some point, so...

sgopYhV.gif