Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Just now, your dealer said:

let's smoke a fat joint and discuss how honeymoon belongs in the bottom half of her discography :hooker:

good idea!

giphy.gif

I love Lana's nose job. Apparently it's botched because the tip wasn't supposed to be that dramatic and upturned but it looks so stereotypically old Hollywood and goes perfectly with her image. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

On 10/9/2021 at 5:46 AM, bluechemtrails said:

The outstretched tongue and middle finger in the Arcadia video is immature and destroys the credibility of the preceding four minutes.

It was corny in the official video but I think it works better in the alternate video.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

After much reflection, I can't say I like BB all that much. Honestly it just sounds like a repeat of everything we've heard from Lana. It's time to change things up. We've had these slow tempo sombre songs for God knows how many albums now. We need a new sound already. Hell, we even need a new style of lyricism. 

I do like some of the songs on BB, but even the re-worked demos sound out of place on this body of work.

We need a genre like a swing-noir-western-delta blues sound. Just SOMETHING different. ANYTHING but sparse produced piano drivel! :crying5:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

After much reflection, I can't say I like BB all that much. Honestly it just sounds like a repeat of everything we've heard from Lana. It's time to change things up. We've had these slow tempo sombre songs for God knows how many albums now. We need a new sound already. Hell, we even need a new style of lyricism. 

I do like some of the songs on BB, but even the re-worked demos sound out of place on this body of work.

We need a genre like a swing-noir-western-delta blues sound. Just SOMETHING different. ANYTHING but sparse produced piano drivel! :crying5:

I'm not saying I agree with everything you've said here, but definitely echoes some thoughts I've had. For one, I think that I would've enjoyed the album a whole lot more had it not been for 'NFR!' and 'Chemtrails' (even though I'm apparently the only one that enjoyed it more than its predecessor :creep:). Also, I like the album but it's mostly an album consisting of scraps (and scraps we've heard before). Not saying there is anything wrong with that, because there is definitely validity in saying that we weren't supposed to hear those songs to begin with—but the album doesn't have that feeling of being "brand new" besides a few key tracks.

All that being said, I like this album and it's definitely growing on me.

i hate to say this but blue banisters is her worst album lyrically... i'm really mesmerized by the production on this album, probably one of my favorite in that aspect, but some of the lyrics are either incredibly predictable or painfully cringe and i don't even want to finish the song because i can't stop thinking about why'd she write something like that. 

i love you, but you don't understand me.

15 minutes ago, Vanilla Icy said:

i hate to say this but blue banisters is her worst album lyrically... i'm really mesmerized by the production on this album, probably one of my favorite in that aspect, but some of the lyrics are either incredibly predictable or painfully cringe and i don't even want to finish the song because i can't stop thinking about why'd she write something like that. 

I feel this way about Arcadia but is there another song like this? 

39 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I feel this way about Arcadia but is there another song like this? 

in my personal opinion; beautiful, violets for roses, and sweet carolina have the most questionable lyrics

Spoiler

Blue Banisters is not a magnum opus or a masterpiece, it has the same problems as UV: irregular tracklist and bad song choices (scrapping Fine China twice was the worst mistake ever). Besides that, the lyrics are sometimes too much, the transitions are not that good and there are too many sounds that don't really fit together on the same record. I love the production tho, even the weird instrumental choices like BBS/TB post choruses. I can't even totally compare it to LFL, cause, at least in BB's case, all/most of the songs range from great tracks to masterpieces (the lack of a Coachella moment is so relieving). My rate is 7/10.

i guess this is the designated blue banisters critics thread?

i just don't feel like i click with the album at the moment, maybe i'll feel differently once the album's officially released & hq, maybe listening to it as a whole i'll differently, however, at the same time i feel like listening to it as a whole will solidify my stance that the album just isn't... working for me... :azealia: i feel like quite a few of the tracks are pretty unforgettable, in my opinion (arcadia, i haven't listened to that song since it was released, if you lie down with me, beautiful, violets for roses, dealer, sweet carolina) and i really dislike the fact that she didn't rework nectar, cherry, & living legend, i wouldn't consider them finished, fully-produced tracks, especially living legend, i feel like the first 3 songs she released were the best from the album, besides black bathing suit, that's my current favorite alongside wfwf, also, yeah, i feel like lyrically she's been pretty stagnant, some of the lyrics in sweet carolina are honestly bad (the crypto/kevin lyric wasn't iconic it was just stupid) :eek:

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

I honestly feel like I'm the only one that finds 'Arcadia' to be insufferable. From the first time she teased it I was enthralled with the opening line, but the song as a whole now... :noparty:

I can't even remember the last time I listened to Living Legend before it was announced that it was on Blue Banisters. That song has just never clicked for me. Even if it was reworked, I just don't think it's the song for me and that's okay. A reworked version of Fine China or I Talk To Jesus should've gotten its spot on the album. 

imageproxy.jpg

1 hour ago, Surf Noir said:

i guess this is the designated blue banisters critics thread?

i just don't feel like i click with the album at the moment, maybe i'll feel differently once the album's officially released & hq, maybe listening to it as a whole i'll differently, however, at the same time i feel like listening to it as a whole will solidify my stance that the album just isn't... working for me... :azealia: i feel like quite a few of the tracks are pretty unforgettable, in my opinion (arcadia, i haven't listened to that song since it was released, if you lie down with me, beautiful, violets for roses, dealer, sweet carolina) and i really dislike the fact that she didn't rework nectar, cherry, & living legend, i wouldn't consider them finished, fully-produced tracks, especially living legend, i feel like the first 3 songs she released were the best from the album, besides black bathing suit, that's my current favorite alongside wfwf, also, yeah, i feel like lyrically she's been pretty stagnant, some of the lyrics in sweet carolina are honestly bad (the crypto/kevin lyric wasn't iconic it was just stupid) :eek:

i agree that she released the best songs as singles, which is devastating cause that's usually not the case with lana albums.

what i'm having trouble with the most is connecting with this album as a body of work, everything just feels very disjointed. the 3 pre-release singles, new album tracks, thunder & dealer, and the 3 unreleased songs from 2013 all feel like their own separate thing, and i understand that she didn't have to rework the old tracks because we weren't supposed to hear them in the first place but they literally sound unfinished so it does feel lazy to throw them on there like that. there's a good bunch of songs here but i feel like i'm listening to a playlist rather than an album.

42 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i feel like quite a few of the tracks are pretty unforgettable, in my opinion (arcadia, i haven't listened to that song since it was released, if you lie down with me, beautiful, violets for roses, dealer, sweet carolina) and i really dislike the fact that she didn't rework nectar, cherry, & living legend

Spoiler

While Sweet Carolina is growing on me a bit (minus the iPhone mention lol), I was honestly really disappointed with the “unheard” tracks. VFR and Dealer have nice moments, but I don’t see myself going back to the ones you’ve mentioned for very long. 

I feel bad saying I can tell this will probably be my least favorite Lana record to date. 

I know a lot of this is purely subjective or a matter of personal preference, but I personally felt there wasn’t a clear “high point” of the record…or for many of the songs at times. With the exceptions of BB and WFWF, there weren’t really many songs that stuck with me the way her last record did (White Dress, TJF, Chemtrails, etc.). 

On a related note..I know I will get dragged through the gutter for this, but I loved what Antonoff brought to Lana’s music in terms of the songwriting. I found the triple singles to be great, but the rest of the record has been pretty..neutral, I guess. 

I’m doubtful I’ll have a huge change of opinion (I can generally tell when an album will grow on me), but..we’ll see!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

1 hour ago, YourGirl666 said:
  Hide contents

Blue Banisters is not a magnum opus or a masterpiece, it has the same problems as UV: irregular tracklist and bad song choices (scrapping Fine China twice was the worst mistake ever). Besides that, the lyrics are sometimes too much, the transitions are not that good and there are too many sounds that don't really fit together on the same record. I love the production tho, even the weird instrumental choices like BBS/TB post choruses. I can't even totally compare it to LFL, cause, at least in BB's case, all/most of the songs range from great tracks to masterpieces (the lack of a Coachella moment is so relieving). My rate is 7/10.

wait wait wait what do you mean a coachella moment????

No stairway to heaven slander