Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

20 minutes ago, Vanilla Icy said:

i agree that she released the best songs as singles, which is devastating cause that's usually not the case with lana albums.

what i'm having trouble with the most is connecting with this album as a body of work, everything just feels very disjointed. the 3 pre-release singles, new album tracks, thunder & dealer, and the 3 unreleased songs from 2013 all feel like their own separate thing, and i understand that she didn't have to rework the old tracks because we weren't supposed to hear them in the first place but they literally sound unfinished so it does feel lazy to throw them on there like that. there's a good bunch of songs here but i feel like i'm listening to a playlist rather than an album.

honestly i even felt this way WITH the first three songs, they're all pretty different, of course, at the time i didn't think too much of it, and figured that it would all work within the entire body of work, but i feel like the album is quite disjointed and off-putting, this album has slightly psychedelic experimental moments with tempo changes, plain 'ol alternative ballads & piano ballads, dealer is some sort of alternative/soft rock song, there's a purely acoustic guitar track, living legend doesn't even sound finished, honestly, i think a big problem with it is the fact that this album has so many different producers, mike dean, zach dawes, drew erikson, barrie, rick nowels, & clayton & his brothers :rip: of course, born to die, paradise etc. did also have a lot of producers, yet it still managed to be very cohesive & it worked well, it's really off-putting going from a breezy, psychedelic soft-rock banger, to a spaghetti-western trap beat which was honestly pointless, to piano ballads, to a song with electronic distorted beats, to songs she recorded in 2013 and didn't bother to really finish, because let's keep it real, living legend wasn't finished, back to a piano ballad, idk, i just feel like she should've taken it more seriously, dare i say, i think i prefer chemtrails :eek: honestly violets for roses, beautiful, & sweet carolina aren't really anything different from anything that she made during the nfr/chemtrails era

WGe8ynS.gif

2 hours ago, West Coast said:

I honestly feel like I'm the only one that finds 'Arcadia' to be insufferable. From the first time she teased it I was enthralled with the opening line, but the song as a whole now... :noparty:

I was so excited for it with the snippet and I still think the verses are great, but the chorus is too adult contemporary for me :eek: I literally sound like Josh Groban whenever I sing along to it 

sgopYhV.gif

Spoiler

Based on many comments in this thread, which are completely valid because your preferences are your preferences, I guess my unpopular lana opinion is that BB is one of her best (easily top 3 for me). I can go into so much detail about what I love about it, but I think that we've been asking for something that sounds like HM and UV for so long, and finally got something that sounds like a combo, but with its own flair. We have some more grungy songs, many of which are straight up UV outtakes. We also got Cherry Blossom (I know it was written around 2013, but since she teased it around the HM era I've always considered it part of that), and many of the songs sound very cohesive with what we've gotten around that time. In a way, we're getting the album that should have come before Lust for Life, with styles and sounds that so many of us have wanted Lana to return to. 

Another unpopular opinion to add, based on SO many comments I've seen on this site :(, but Living Legend is my favorite song of her's of all time. Ever since I heard it I was hoping it would be included on a future project, and I couldn't be happier with the fact that it's almost exactly the same. 

46 minutes ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I was so excited for it with the snippet and I still think the verses are great, but the chorus is too adult contemporary for me :eek: I literally sound like Josh Groban whenever I sing along to it 

lmao this is my problem w Arcadia and beautiful as well- corny and generic

aOaIzH2.gif

3 hours ago, West Coast said:

I honestly feel like I'm the only one that finds 'Arcadia' to be insufferable. From the first time she teased it I was enthralled with the opening line, but the song as a whole now... :noparty:

same tbh , I have refrained from listening to the leak, im gonna wait till the 22nd, but Arcadia has just not been it for me ... 

the whole "a cross on the hill, lost little girl" it just doesn't flow it feels like she couldn't form the right words, like the adhd hit and she got bored of trying at making it lyrically genius... it isn't bad but it just kinda annoys me 

7 hours ago, YourGirl666 said:
  Hide contents

Blue Banisters is not a magnum opus or a masterpiece, it has the same problems as UV: irregular tracklist and bad song choices (scrapping Fine China twice was the worst mistake ever). Besides that, the lyrics are sometimes too much, the transitions are not that good and there are too many sounds that don't really fit together on the same record. I love the production tho, even the weird instrumental choices like BBS/TB post choruses. I can't even totally compare it to LFL, cause, at least in BB's case, all/most of the songs range from great tracks to masterpieces (the lack of a Coachella moment is so relieving). My rate is 7/10.

ugh girl i wanted to stan you so bad but i can’t take this uv slander 

giphy.gif

We've talked about it in here before but she really does need to stop with these diary-like lyrics. Enough.

Ever since VBBOTG, it's as if she thinks that every single word in her diary is so fantastic that needs to be bestowed upon the world in the form of a song or poem. As I've said before, there's no filtering, and there's also no development of thoughts. 

I also don't understand the people who say such lyrics are relatable. I go swimming in my friends' pools too but I don't listen to Blue Banisters and tear up because Jenny swam in Lana's pool. 

Her lyrics of the past invoked feelings because the ideas and statements were more developed and therefore much more meaningful. There was an element of wisdom and now that's missing. 

Possible album spoiler statement

Spoiler

You only need to compare the lyrics of the older songs on BB to those of the newer to see what I mean. 

I hope she takes a long break before she threatens to release her next album (covers excluded) because I think, without one, it's gonna be more of the same

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

The Thunder rework should not have happened. It sucked all of the momentum and energy out of the track. Even when the percussion finally kicks in it sounds kinda lame and the underusage of the backing singers is a crime

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

On 10/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, baddisease said:

Honeymoon is Lana's weakest record.

This deserves a warning point:true:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

4 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

We've talked about it in here before but she really does need to stop with these diary-like lyrics. Enough.

Ever since VBBOTG, it's as if she thinks that every single word in her diary is so fantastic that needs to be bestowed upon the world in the form of a song or poem. As I've said before, there's no filtering, and there's also no development of thoughts. 

I also don't understand the people who say such lyrics are relatable. I go swimming in my friends' pools too but I don't listen to Blue Banisters and tear up because Jenny swam in Lana's pool. 

Her lyrics of the past invoked feelings because the ideas and statements were more developed and therefore much more meaningful. There was an element of wisdom and now that's missing. 

Possible album spoiler statement

Hide contents

You only need to compare the lyrics of the older songs on BB to those of the newer to see what I mean. 

I hope she takes a long break before she threatens to release her next album (covers excluded) because I think, without one, it's gonna be more of the same

In response to your spoilered text, that is what I feared the album would feel like. 

I haven't heard it yet but the older songs being the best part is what I expected.

Kinda can't wait to see fans who hadn't heard the previous songs be saying "she still has it, [all the older songs] are her best work!" When it's like, yes because they weren't written alongside the creation of this album :defeated:

1 minute ago, Thunder Revenant said:

I love that Living Legend, Cherry Blossom and NOTG were unchanged on BB

Agree!! The run from NOTG to SC is really beautiful too 

Spoiler

NOTG makes me emotional & then LL fully makes me cry :trisha:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Based on what I heard from people who don't worship everything she releases, Lana definitely values quantity over quality. She really feels the need to release an album every year full of mediocre songs and a couple of decent ones instead of wanting to wait a couple of years until she has a spark of inspiration. She started from having no skips in BTD, UV and HM, to having a couple of in LFL and since then she has more and more skips and the songs being background noise. I don't have the leaked songs but I feel like half of the album will be skips. I look forward because it's Lana but I don't have high expectations. I wish she experimented with higher tempos or more upbeat songs. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

10 hours ago, bigspender said:

ugh girl i wanted to stan you so bad but i can’t take this uv slander 

Sorry, but even though her best songs run is CW-PWIC, the rest feels incomplete and somehow incoherent. I love the songs from the second act of UV tho, I just dislike them together

11 hours ago, shady said:

Based on what I heard from people who don't worship everything she releases, Lana definitely values quantity over quality. She really feels the need to release an album every year full of mediocre songs and a couple of decent ones instead of wanting to wait a couple of years until she has a spark of inspiration. She started from having no skips in BTD, UV and HM, to having a couple of in LFL and since then she has more and more skips and the songs being background noise. I don't have the leaked songs but I feel like half of the album will be skips. I look forward because it's Lana but I don't have high expectations. I wish she experimented with higher tempos or more upbeat songs. 

I agree and appreciate this comment.

However, I think Lana has been totally capable of releasing records year after year in the past with BTD and Paradise 2012, then UV 2014 and Honeymoon 2015. She was actually inspired back then but because she's been in the same place with much of the same people from NFR, through CotCC and BB it's more of the same and repetitive very lacking production and as @Rorman Nockwell says perfectly, uninspired diary entry lyrics. She's simply not going to get another spark of inspiration if she stays in the same place that she's imagining leaving since 2019 (actually since 2015 if we count Prisoner with the Weeknd).

I think her last three albums are very reflective of Lana "settling" in the wrong place. I don't wish her life to be crazy and unpredictable again, but I think she needs something other than LA to feel happier. 

What's relatable about being drunk, traveling around the country club with sugar daddies who love cocaine or men who hit you and it feeling like a kiss? You can pick and choose almost any line from any LDR song ever to relate or not relate to it. No, I don't relate to swimming in a pool with Nikki Lane and Jenny either, but I have related to a man promising me happiness and a future, to then never show and that close intimacy with friends and family to help heal from the pain. There are valid points being brought up here, especially about the stream of consciousness nature of her recent lyricism which isn't for everyone.  If you're mad about the mythology of Lana Del Rey being shattered into pieces or just plain don't like her lyricism lately, just say that though. Don't pick and choose one single line from a four minute song and not expect people to turn that around on almost any of her past work. Y'all are acting like songs such as National Anthem, Carmen, Sad Girl, Fucked My Way Up to the Top, Lolita are straight out of the Shakespeare quartos :whoopi:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.