Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

1 hour ago, Thunder said:

What's relatable about being drunk, traveling around the country club with sugar daddies who love cocaine or men who hit you and it feeling like a kiss? You can pick and choose almost any line from any LDR song ever to relate or not relate to it. No, I don't relate to swimming in a pool with Nikki Lane and Jenny either, but I have related to a man promising me happiness and a future, to then never show and that close intimacy with friends and family to help heal from the pain. There are valid points being brought up here, especially about the stream of consciousness nature of her recent lyricism which isn't for everyone.  If you're mad about the mythology of Lana Del Rey being shattered into pieces or just plain don't like her lyricism lately, just say that though. Don't pick and choose one single line from a four minute song and not expect people to turn that around on almost any of her past work. Y'all are acting like songs such as National Anthem, Carmen, Sad Girl, Fucked My Way Up to the Top, Lolita are straight out of the Shakespeare quartos :whoopi:

I cannot speak for others but this is not what my post meaned. I was saying that people praise her current lyrics as being somehow more relatable than the ones of the past, and I don't agree with that. I think that that's rather insulting to her and her past work, because I think she 100% made songs about Hollywood, etc, relatable and that was because of the expression of her thoughts and feelings - not about the scenarios themselves. I mean I don't have an LA boyfriend waiting for me under the palms but songs like 13 Beaches still resonate.

So whether or not you relate to a particular event is not the point; the point is that, in the past, her lyricism was more abstract and now it is very matter-of-fact. The fact that it was more abstract allowed me to relate no matter what the scenario was that she was singing about. These newer songs are less about the thoughts and feelings she derives from the events in her life, and more about what is actually happening in her life expressed in a diary-like manner. So imo they're more difficult to relate to, unless one is talking about the actual events and so I brought up the swimming pool to express that nobody wants, or cares, about relating to such mundane events. The thoughts and feelings are still there, but less so, and it's like a shift in lyrical priorities.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Unpopular Lana opinion:

I want to see Lana jiu jitsu-ing that brat.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

16 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I cannot speak for others but this is not what my post meaned. I was saying that people praise her current lyrics as being somehow more relatable than the ones of the past, and I don't agree with that. I think that that's rather insulting to her and her past work, because I think she 100% made songs about Hollywood, etc, relatable and that was because of the expression of her thoughts and feelings - not about the scenarios themselves. I mean I don't have an LA boyfriend waiting for me under the palms but songs like 13 Beaches still resonate.

So whether or not you relate to a particular event is not the point; the point is that, in the past, her lyricism was more abstract and now it is very matter-of-fact. The fact that it was more abstract allowed me to relate no matter what the scenario was that she was singing about. These newer songs are less about the thoughts and feelings she derives from the events in her life, and more about what is actually happening in her life expressed in a diary-like manner. So imo they're more difficult to relate to, unless one is talking about the actual events and so I brought up the swimming pool to express that nobody wants, or cares, about relating to such mundane events. The thoughts and feelings are still there, but less so, and it's like a shift in lyrical priorities.

That's fair. I guess for me, personally, I just don't really see this huge downward turn in her lyricism as the albums progress. There have been cringeworthy or eye-roll worthy lyrics on all of her records. I just see a different shift in style. Of course you don't have to enjoy the shift, but I would argue that lyricism that is more matter-of-fact can still be abstract, and I find that in many ways that the tracks from post-NFR are just as rich and complex as classics like Off to the Races and Shades of Cool

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

22 minutes ago, Thunder said:

That's fair. I guess for me, personally, I just don't really see this huge downward turn in her lyricism as the albums progress. There have been cringeworthy or eye-roll worthy lyrics on all of her records. I just see a different shift in style. Of course you don't have to enjoy the shift, but I would argue that lyricism that is more matter-of-fact can still be abstract, and I find that in many ways that the tracks from post-NFR are just as rich and complex as classics like Off to the Races and Shades of Cool

Yeah it's just a different style of writing, and I personally prefer the style of the past. 

That's not to say that I need her to be writing about glamourous subject matter for it to be appealing. For example, I think that MAC is one of her strongest songs lyrically and it's not about Hollywood or Lamborghinis or anything

Spoiler

Arcadia, Beautiful and Violets are so syrupy to me. I think Lana has always made music that adults would enjoy, like Video Games, Young and Beautiful, Old Money, HM, Love Song ,etc but these straight up sound like adult contemporary songs that would play at my local CVS or something. Strange to see an album full of this and then Dealer lol though it concerns me that these songs are likely her most recently written ones??

sgopYhV.gif

I LOVE it when she sings "Nikki Lane" on BB. The musicality of the name, the rhythm of the syllables, the 2 different ways she draws out the "Laaaane," the rhymes with vane and pain and rain and baby on the way and green & grey, the specificity of the storytelling, the set-up for BUS, and a light splash of trolling given the fan sentiment about Nikki. It's super iconic.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:14 AM, Rorman Nockwell said:

I think that people feel like praising her more because everyone thinks an artist's work is supposed is to be better as the artist matures. In many cases that's not true, they may be a more mature person but ot doesn't mean they're more creative. It's always the "authentic" argument if you don't like her new era. Of course, there are people who genuinely enjoy her new eras.

There's nothing wrong with her diary entry lyrics either. It brings some cozy sunny feeling when listening her newer music. I think the real problem is that there's a very small difference between 2019 and 2021. Those are only two years but it's three albums. 

Also her still mentioning LA and LA themed stuff is soo getting old. It's kinda paradoxical when her era is supposed to be country themed but she constantly mentiones a gigantic metropolis. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

Spoiler

her not reworking the tracks leaked from UV sessions almost ruins the album :rip: on the other tracks, the production sounds fresh and almost experimental, there is a great mixture of different instruments and styles and then there are the acoustic demos of Nectar and Living Legend. even though it surely adds to the diversive nature of the album, I don't care for it and I wish she had reworked them a bit

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

On 10/18/2021 at 3:39 PM, shady said:

Based on what I heard from people who don't worship everything she releases, Lana definitely values quantity over quality. She really feels the need to release an album every year full of mediocre songs and a couple of decent ones instead of wanting to wait a couple of years until she has a spark of inspiration. She started from having no skips in BTD, UV and HM, to having a couple of in LFL and since then she has more and more skips and the songs being background noise. I don't have the leaked songs but I feel like half of the album will be skips. I look forward because it's Lana but I don't have high expectations. I wish she experimented with higher tempos or more upbeat songs. 

I agree with this so hard, you perfectly summed up my feelings since LFL. I just listened to BB and even though I didn't expect much, I was still disappointed. The Interlude and maybe Dealer are the only exiting things for me on this album. I'm not saying her other songs are bad and her voice is just as beautiful as ever but the homogeneous mixture of slow ballads just so boring. What I liked most about her was, how she was able to mix different genres and samples, that usually don't go together, into a song and album that surprisingly harmonizes well. For me, every song on BTD, UV, HM and maybe LFL had a different feel to it, they sounded diffent on their own while still being somewhat similar but still worked and fit well together in an album. I don't have that feel anymore. I don't know if her artistry changed or she became lazy or whatever, but her songs now are nowhere near as experimental and exciting as they used to be. Thunder's Demo was way more interesting that the album version on BB imo. I will never forget the strings on HM, the sick ass guitars and bass on UV and the beats on BTD and her voice with a piano in between all of them. Now, her albums since LFL are just a snooze fest for me. She can do happy songs and lyrics all she wants, I just wish she would express it in a more exciting way again.

I don't know if this is unpopular but BB is miles better than NFR! & NFR! doesn't belong in her top 4 albums.  I don't hate NFR! but I don't see it as the magnum opus some people say it is:true:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

every album since Lust For Life is more of a mixtape/collection of songs than an actual album and they all seem somewhat unfinished 

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

1 hour ago, Jade said:

I agree with this so hard, you perfectly summed up my feelings since LFL. I just listened to BB and even though I didn't expect much, I was still disappointed. The Interlude and maybe Dealer are the only exiting things for me on this album. I'm not saying her other songs are bad and her voice is just as beautiful as ever but the homogeneous mixture of slow ballads just so boring. What I liked most about her was, how she was able to mix different genres and samples, that usually don't go together, into a song and album that surprisingly harmonizes well. For me, every song on BTD, UV, HM and maybe LFL had a different feel to it, they sounded diffent on their own while still being somewhat similar but still worked and fit well together in an album. I don't have that feel anymore. I don't know if her artistry changed or she became lazy or whatever, but her songs now are nowhere near as experimental and exciting as they used to be. Thunder's Demo was way more interesting that the album version on BB imo. I will never forget the strings on HM, the sick ass guitars and bass on UV and the beats on BTD and her voice with a piano in between all of them. Now, her albums since LFL are just a snooze fest for me. She can do happy songs and lyrics all she wants, I just wish she would express it in a more exciting way again.

I feel exactly the same. I sometimes question my feelings but I'm sure that it's based 0% on nostalgia because I recently (a couple of years ago) started listening her entire albums while before I was finding her songs on YT shuffle and feeling songs individually, not the albums as a whole. You're not alone, almost every fan I know in real life feels the same. The only songs that have her old energy are WW (if it had a better production), Dealer, Thunder, Text book and Living Legend but they still fail to reach the level of 2010-2017 in every aspect. 

Someone already gave their theory if she has gotten lazy and we don't really know because we don't know her personally. Their theory is that she is surrounded by the same people and dreams of a simpler life, which is pretty normal for a woman in her mid 30s. I think that the music video for Blue Banisters is wholesome and cozy but I wish she had a less lazy vibe to her music. Honeymoon and Terrance Loves You are divine ballads with a simple melody but they have much more substance and emotion. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

Idk if it's just my current mood but Blue Banisters is doing absolutely nothing for me. 

I wanna like it so much but it somehow feels like leftovers

I'll come back to it in a few weeks and try again

yeah blue banisters doesn’t even feel like an album for me. it feels more like we just got a random leakfest of songs that are great as unreleased songs, but not great as album songs. It’s definitely because I overplayed all the unreleased songs (if ANYONE SAYS ITS MY FAULT FOR LISTENING TO UNRELEASED SONGS SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! GOD!) but i can’t just trick my brain into forgetting ive ever heard them before :awkney:

black bathing suit is almost the only song on the album i enjoy 24/7, everything else goes up and down in my ratings but it never goes up to ‘excellent!!’ .

RVhKIwP.gif