Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I actually love the standard Honeymoon album cover. i think if I had to rank Lana's album covers, it would be:

1. NFR

2. Blue Banisters (all of them lol)

3. Born To Die 

4. Lust for Life

5. Honeymoon (standard)

6. Honeymoon (alternate)

7. Chemtrails (alternate)

8. Ultraviolence

9. Paradise

10. Ultraviolence (alternate)

11. NFR (alternate)

12. Chemtrails (standard) 

imageproxy.jpg

I’m sick and tired of rushed yet also lackadaisical albums and eras. LFL was her last good era: brand new songs that were written for the album and an actual GOOD album rollout with high budget videos, photoshoots, and promotion.

I’m happy Lana is content with her music and rollouts and whatever, but I’m just saying I miss the pop star moment for Lana.

Disregard my opinion on previous pages violets for roses is one of my favorites off the album now :true: 

I now exclusively skip textbook and Arcadia

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

16 minutes ago, Party Favor said:

Disregard my opinion on previous pages violets for roses is one of my favorites off the album now :true: 

I now exclusively skip textbook and Arcadia

The way I liked that post only to unlike it at the mention of 'Text Book' :ma:

Agreed though, 'Arcadia' is dreadful.

I don't know if it belongs to this thread or the random one, but I've finally understood why I'm not vibing with Lana's music lately. 

It's the autobiographic thingy for me. I just don't care. :whatever:

I've always loved how she would tell stories in a way they felt universal. Even if you've never ever fell in love with an old gangster, or never got into a toxic relationship, you could get into the mood and feel every tiny bit of her raw emotions through the metaphors and vivid imagery. It might be a little specific in my case, but I've always written with Lana in the background because some of her earlier works have the same vibe as my characters's stories. Not necessarily the same story, but they're feeling the same as the personas in her songs, if that makes sense? 

Anyway, old Lana songs felt like novels to me. When I was listening to them, it was like I was drown into a whole different world.

Right now, I just get the impression she's singing her diary to me (I remember @Rorman Nockwell saying something similar?) and it's so bland and so boring I can't help but skip the songs. The irony is that she's singing about more common experiences (in my humble opinion, but maybe that's because I had mommy issues too) but there's a way she's writing them that gives off a really strange self-centered vibe...? :wtf2: I don't know how to explain that feeling. It's like I'm completely excluded from the story, because she's not singing about her life to tell it to us: she's singing about her for her, probably to her as well.

Or maybe it's just hat I'm not currently in the mood to listen to BB :xgiggle:

Sorry if I'm wordy and can't get things right, I'm a mess today and I can't think straight even in French. :crossed:

Edit: I feel like I've already written something like that before but I'm too burnt out to know if I'm dreaming or not. I might be rambling. 

2 hours ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

Get it off your chest baby :trisha: Personally I think violets for roses and beautiful are really weak, I almost can’t believe she made them lol :trisha:

i agree with beautiful - but i do love violets for roses (except the ‘something big happening’ line is so poorly written. it makes me cringe)

Im still trying to work out whether I like this album or not. Lana’s singer songwriter sound of NFR! was perfect, but now it’s like she’s purposely making the quality of her work bad for that low budget effect and it’s kind of annoying. And by quality I mean the horrible vocal mixing on basically every new song on the record, not her songwriting / vocals. Like the mixing on Beautiful’s vocals are horrendous lol. Idk. I hope she works out how to make this singer songwriter style she’s going for work, because it’s coming off to me as disingenuous  and kind of cringey right now 

Californ-I-A homeland of the Gods

Once I found my way

But now I am lost

2 hours ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

Get it off your chest baby :trisha: Personally I think violets for roses and beautiful are really weak, I almost can’t believe she made them lol :trisha:

i love VFR but beautiful is the corniest song she's ever written (i suspected this might be the case based on the title lol), the picasso lyrics are goofy, how did the woman who made BBS also write this absolute drivel :defeated:

aOaIzH2.gif

1 hour ago, Mash Tragic said:

I don't know if it belongs to this thread or the random one, but I've finally understood why I'm not vibing with Lana's music lately. 

I've always loved how she would tell stories in a way they felt universal. Even if you've never ever fell in love with an old gangster, or never got into a toxic relationship, you could get into the mood and feel every tiny bit of her raw emotions through the metaphors and vivid imagery. It might be a little specific in my case, but I've always written with Lana in the background because some of her earlier works have the same vibe as my characters's stories. Not necessarily the same story, but they're feeling the same as the personas in her songs, if that makes sense? 

Anyway, old Lana songs felt like novels to me. When I was listening to them, it was like I was drown into a whole different world.

Right now, I just get the impression she's singing her diary to me (I remember @Rorman Nockwell saying something similar?) and it's so bland and so boring I can't help but skip the songs. The irony is that she's singing about more common experiences (in my humble opinion, but maybe that's because I had mommy issues too) but there's a way she's writing them that gives off a really strange self-centered vibe...? :wtf2: I don't know how to explain that feeling. It's like I'm completely excluded from the story, because she's not singing about her life to tell it to us: she's singing about her for her, probably to her as well.

Sorry if I'm wordy and can't get things right, I'm a mess today and I can't think straight even in French. :crossed:

Edit: I feel like I've already written something like that before but I'm too burnt out to know if I'm dreaming or not. I might be rambling. 

I definitely agree. It does seem like the lyrics of Lana's recent work (after LFL) sound like journal entries than lyrics. Even when you read the lyrics in front of you, they're structured like excerpts from a poetry book. 

I do think the issue is that the lyrics are becoming more personal than ever before which explains why it's getting harder to relate to. Lana is singing about her life, but it's too personal to the point where we the listeners can't insert ourselves into that 'world' without feeling like we're being invasive. Her old lyrics were vague enough when the stories she told could literally apply to anyone, which is why the listeners could fully immerse themselves in that world, much like an escapism.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I like the journal entry type lyrics, but for me, I think that that's because I relate to them a lot more than I do her previous works at this current point in my life. From BTD-LFL, I can't say I ever felt like Lana's lyrics were relatable to me despite the fact that I think those albums have some of her best lyrics. But, of course, relatability isn't what makes lyrics good. It's just that in my experience, I feel a lot more of an inner connection to Lana's recent lyrics than I have in the past. I can see why someone wouldn't be a fan, though. A lot of the time it's very straightforward and can be kind of heavy to listen to at times with how vulnerable some of her lyrics have been lately. 

imageproxy.jpg

I personally still find her lyrics to be relatable despite them becoming more personal. I don't think relatable has to mean "omg it's me she's singing about!" but instead being able to relate to the emotion behind it. 

I also don't want/need to be able to insert myself into all art. One of the best things about good storytelling is exploring that world and discovering the little details and connections to uncover a deeper meaning, that you can then apply to your own life and learn from if you choose to. As Lana's writing becomes increasingly personal, she's inviting us to dive even deeper into her life and discover things about her, that also reflect her observations of the world at large, and for me at least it makes her consistently thrilling to listen to.

4 hours ago, DCooper said:

I personally still find her lyrics to be relatable despite them becoming more personal. I don't think relatable has to mean "omg it's me she's singing about!" but instead being able to relate to the emotion behind it. 

I also don't want/need to be able to insert myself into all art. One of the best things about good storytelling is exploring that world and discovering the little details and connections to uncover a deeper meaning, that you can then apply to your own life and learn from if you choose to. As Lana's writing becomes increasingly personal, she's inviting us to dive even deeper into her life and discover things about her, that also reflect her observations of the world at large, and for me at least it makes her consistently thrilling to listen to.

That's funny because her current lyricism does the exact opposite for me! I never felt her lyrics to be relatable in any way in my life (I'm the shy hermit type and I never fell in love, never did drugs or parties :blush3:) but I think the BB songs (the new ones) don't really have a deeper meaning than what's she's singing about. Her writing's getting more personal, but it's also getting less metaphoric, much more simple/straightforward and actually more relatable (at least to me). Or the stories are relatable but the way she's writing them (the journal entries) are less emotional to me, probably because I prefer her old writing style since it resonates more with mine.

Also I can't stand the whole LA socialites vibes but it's another story. Let's say it adds to my deception.

I guess I preferred the older days because she comes across as... hm, really basic(?) to me lately. :wtf3: I think she's trying to connect her work with older prestigious artists (that's what I get from NFR at least) and it's watering down her own artistry. She's definitely experimenting (with tracks like Dealer) but there's also songs that sound like caricatures of her previous ones. It didn't bother me before but again, it adds to my deception.

I do love the album otherwise and I really enjoyed it. It's just less inspiring to me, as a writer and I realized why.

I also want to say it's purely subjective and in no way am I saying her work is garbage like some so-called critics. :creepna3: But her lyricism doesn't have as much an impact on me anymore.

6 hours ago, Mash Tragic said:

yurrrr this is exactly how i feel

6 hours ago, lilithlana said:

Swan Song is my last favourite song from Honeymoon even though it had a lot of potential I just think It ended up being a bit too lackuster and it seems unfinished to me.

Swan Song is SO filler:awkney: has anybody here actually deliberately listened to it in the past few years ?  Ive not played it since like 2016

RVhKIwP.gif

9 minutes ago, May said:

Swan Song is SO filler:awkney: has anybody here actually deliberately listened to it in the past few years ?  Ive not played it since like 2016

I played Swan Song today & it's not a filler at all. It's underrated:oprah3:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

9 minutes ago, May said:

Yeah Honeymoon would have been so much better ending with the epicness of The Blackest Day. The last three songs... drag the album and are not that good even tho I love 24

07772f16031f371bb19c2650cab67790a3966c6d