Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I'm sorry, but I just cannot get into Dark Paradise, it's one of my least favorite Lana songs ever. I never have and most likely never will be able to. Something about it puts me off and I don't even know why. I can't get into the demos either. 

Also, Swan Song is incredible. It's personally my favorite song on Honeymoon. I'll never understand why that one is always so low in people's rankings 

imageproxy.jpg

I can't believe people often quote NFR as part of their holy trinity. I view it as the worst album she ever put out, after Lust For Life.

The production on this album has such a strong watered-down feel to it that it feels like there is a veil between sound and listener that hinders communication between both on literally every song, making her voice sound distant. The electric guitars that are used sound nothing like those on Ultraviolence or even on songs like Heroin, they sound like weird keyboards, which makes it hard for me to give any credit to the rock feel she was going for on songs like Venice Bitch and The Greatest. Same for the violins. It's crazy how good the violons on Violets for Roses or Thunder sound compared to the cheap violins Jack used on Love Song or Venice Bitch. I don't buy the more upbeat side of it either, because it's like she threw in a few 'urban' elements or lyrics without ever making an actual bop. The piano ballads are forgettable. The album has some good songs, but as a whole, I see it as bland and watered down. It's still good, because it's Lana's voice and melodies, but it's really bland. Apart from Hope and How To Disappear, I find the lyrics to be extremely poor and uninspired, which is why I have a hard time seeing this album as a commentary on the state of America. I just can't consider "I miss X and I miss Y and I miss Z" to be relevant and serious enough to be even a bit of a social or political commentary. I mean, I know she said in interviews that the title was supposed to evoke what Norman Rockwell, or America from the fifties in general, would say about today's society. But I just can't derive from

the album any idea or conception regarding that commentary. It's like she said she made a commentary on America on this album without actually making any of it. The critics - and, in my opinion, the fans - made it way deeper than it is.

Not to mention how painful the era was. Waiting for a year between the single and the album was the worst she put us through. I loathed the whole baddie aesthetic she had going on. I hated the way her managers interacted with us. I hated Don't Call Me Angel. And by the time the album came out, there were only two songs we had heard nothing of, because she posted countless snippets. The music videos were dreadful.

Chemtrails, although suffering from the same flaws linked with Jack's production, was at least much more humble a project, and created more of a pleasant atmosphere. It also had better lyrics and a better rollout.

13 minutes ago, May said:

Swan Song is SO filler:awkney: has anybody here actually deliberately listened to it in the past few years ?  Ive not played it since like 2016

At first I didn't even notice it, but now it's my top three song on HM.

Just now, Super Movie said:

I'm sorry, but I just cannot get into Dark Paradise, it's one of my least favorite Lana songs ever. I never have and most likely never will be able to. Something about it puts me off and I don't even know why. I can't get into the demos either. 

Also, Swan Song is incredible. It's personally my favorite song on Honeymoon. I'll never understand why that one is always so low in people's rankings 

For me Dark Paradise hits different because I can relate to the lyrics a lot.  But I can see why some ppl can't get into it.

Agree with what you said about Swan Song. You spilled !! It's incredible, it has such an atmosphere!! :true:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

18 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

agree with both

title track is my fav song but swan song is fucking amazing

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

15 minutes ago, ShadesOfViolence said:

arcadia is my least favorite song of the album 

and I live for Arcadia slander🔪🔪

I think I can appreciate it for Lana’s vocals and music but it’s just kinda there. Lyrics aren’t that interesting.

7 hours ago, americangothic said:

Truly unpopular opinion: I really LOVE Arcadia :rip:. The melody of the chorus made me cry the first time I listened to it, but then again, I'm a sensitive-as-hell cancer dude.

Me too :icant: for me, there’s always something to love about every Lana song (if not everything!):heart:

9 hours ago, Super Movie said:

oh my god same 

Californ-I-A homeland of the Gods

Once I found my way

But now I am lost

I just can't get into CoCC :( The only song I adore from it is White Dress. Every other album, there are always a bunch of songs I love, sometimes every single one, so it was a really strange exp. I think the country vibes were off putting for me to begin with and kinda ruined things some more (like I already didn't like the CoCC aesthetic, official album cover, album title, even her main CoCC hairstyle and idek), sigh. It's my least fave era and album by her, like at the very bottom, which is sorta shocking. My dark lil heart was pleased to see her skip over that era with barely any acknowledgement as I just wanted it to all end :oic2: (omg I'm rly going off lmfao) anyway I can't see it growing on me in the future either, buuuut who knows - I wasn't into NFR when it came out but then fell deep in love after and now I'm mad at myself that I didn't enjoy the era as much as I could have, so...!

What makes me feel better is that I like and use the CoCC theme on LB, so like, I can't be that cold :oic2: