Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Neil is one of the most talented photographers i know (ive literally written multiple essays on his work throughout uni) and his photos w lana are .. good .. but in comparison  to his other work they’re almost always some of his worst work :awkney:it must be Lana directing him to not go all out like he usually does bc a lot of his other works are breathtaking whereas w Lana it’s just ‘oh that’s a nice pic’

RVhKIwP.gif

Chemtrails Over The Country Club is one of my favourite albums :oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

14 hours ago, Future Jazz said:

I can't believe people often quote NFR as part of their holy trinity. I view it as the worst album she ever put out, after Lust For Life.

The production on this album has such a strong watered-down feel to it that it feels like there is a veil between sound and listener that hinders communication between both on literally every song, making her voice sound distant. The electric guitars that are used sound nothing like those on Ultraviolence or even on songs like Heroin, they sound like weird keyboards, which makes it hard for me to give any credit to the rock feel she was going for on songs like Venice Bitch and The Greatest. Same for the violins. It's crazy how good the violons on Violets for Roses or Thunder sound compared to the cheap violins Jack used on Love Song or Venice Bitch. I don't buy the more upbeat side of it either, because it's like she threw in a few 'urban' elements or lyrics without ever making an actual bop. The piano ballads are forgettable. The album has some good songs, but as a whole, I see it as bland and watered down. It's still good, because it's Lana's voice and melodies, but it's really bland. Apart from Hope and How To Disappear, I find the lyrics to be extremely poor and uninspired, which is why I have a hard time seeing this album as a commentary on the state of America. I just can't consider "I miss X and I miss Y and I miss Z" to be relevant and serious enough to be even a bit of a social or political commentary. I mean, I know she said in interviews that the title was supposed to evoke what Norman Rockwell, or America from the fifties in general, would say about today's society. But I just can't derive from

the album any idea or conception regarding that commentary. It's like she said she made a commentary on America on this album without actually making any of it. The critics - and, in my opinion, the fans - made it way deeper than it is.

Not to mention how painful the era was. Waiting for a year between the single and the album was the worst she put us through. I loathed the whole baddie aesthetic she had going on. I hated the way her managers interacted with us. I hated Don't Call Me Angel. And by the time the album came out, there were only two songs we had heard nothing of, because she posted countless snippets. The music videos were dreadful.

Chemtrails, although suffering from the same flaws linked with Jack's production, was at least much more humble a project, and created more of a pleasant atmosphere. It also had better lyrics and a better rollout.

the fans - made it way deeper than it is.

Honestly this is the problem with Lana stans, they think WAY too deeply about albums in general and anyone who doesn't like an album are the scum of the earth to them

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I couldn't care less about Lana's tracklists being cohesive. If I like the songs, that's all that really matters to me. I think that's part of why I love Lust for Life despite so many people hating it :smile2:

imageproxy.jpg

6 hours ago, Super Movie said:

I couldn't care less about Lana's tracklists being cohesive. If I like the songs, that's all that really matters to me. I think that's part of why I love Lust for Life despite so many people hating it :smile2:

Interestinggggg. It actually wasn’t until joining here that I realized people really listen to entire albums in order of the tracklist, and therefore really care for cohesiveness etc. I mean it’s great if it’s nice and cohesive, but I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a whole album in order. For me, I like what I like and I skip what I skip 🥺 I go back and forth, side to side, up and down :oic2: I also don’t pay attention to the general album story by listening to tracks in order, I just focus on tracks as individual works. 

i feel like her freedom since NFR has been somewhat an issue for the way she releases art now. 

she confessed on her honeymoon live as being “Add/adhd” & it is very apparent since NFR on the Visual side of things … the snippets / book tease / the lack of visual cohesion for chemtrails, the old photos included in the BB cd/vinyl (one w her blonde hair in the convertible) idk obviously it’s sweet & beautiful regardless but i loved the cohesion from BTD - NFR. 

11 hours ago, May said:

Neil is one of the most talented photographers i know (ive literally written multiple essays on his work throughout uni) and his photos w lana are .. good .. but in comparison  to his other work they’re almost always some of his worst work :awkney:it must be Lana directing him to not go all out like he usually does bc a lot of his other works are breathtaking whereas w Lana it’s just ‘oh that’s a nice pic’

Lately yes, they used to be amazing, but since the lust for life era (after that witchy photo with the red background) they've gotten less and less inspired.

Just a few seconds looking on his instagram always shows me that Lana's shoots are the least interesting that he's been doing. 

9 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Lately yes, they used to be amazing, but since the lust for life era (after that witchy photo with the red background) they've gotten less and less inspired.

Just a few seconds looking on his instagram always shows me that Lana's shoots are the least interesting that he's been doing. 

for me the only time his work with Lana has been top-tier Neil are some shots from the UV era, particularly the flower shots like the one below

9+-+Lana+Del+Rey+-+Neil+Krug.jpg

as u said tho, just scrolling through his insta you can see all his shoots w Lana are his worst ones . it MUST be her giving him this direction, as a photographer myself i know if I were shooting a celebrity id go all out and put 10000% into the shoot. i just don’t get what the point is in using a photographer as capable and talented as Neil, to take photos like THIS :rip: 

tqudjnnb4xa61.jpg?width=1080&format=pjpg

RVhKIwP.gif