Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

On 11/25/2021 at 12:44 AM, Surf Noir said:

"honeymoon" is one of her best tracks & it's so underrated

It's one of the best songs she ever made and a lot of people aren't ready for that conversation.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

I think Chemtrails is my personal favourite record of hers in a different way, in a way that’s not necessarily synonymous with what I think her best record is (because she does have a considerable number of records that you could argue are her magnum opus)—I think Chemtrails is the record that best represents who I am, so I think I resonate with it so closely. The lyrics to songs like White Dress and Chemtrails Over the Country Club eerily echo parts of my experiences that I consider to be formative and beautiful, so it’s really a record I feel in my bones lol.

And experiencing its release with everyone here and during the height of the pandemic (where I am, at least) was really fun! It offered a reprieve from everything that was going on at the time. 

Almost all albums (in general) have the wrong song order. The less popular songs should be played first and the most popular at the end. That way you have a progression and know, even if you don't like a song, that there could be better ones. Otherwise, you listen to the most popular songs first, and the motivation to finish listening to the album decreases with each successive song.

On 11/28/2021 at 3:47 AM, Super Movie said:

Songs that are not nearly as bad as most people make them out to be:

Blue Velvet

Guns & Roses

Coachella and GBA

Lucky Ones

The Next Best American Record 

Agree with everything (especially my beloved Guns and Roses), except Coachella. The dramatic lyrics and that instrumental are just not that good to me.

Do people dislike TNBAR though?? I thought that was a favorite in the fandom? 

Edited by BlueINK

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

32 minutes ago, BlueINK said:

Agree with everything (especially my beloved Guns and Roses), except Coachella. The dramatic lyrics and that instrumental are just not that good to me.

People like the demo, but most people dislike the version that's on NFR because of the lyric changes and slight changes in production

imageproxy.jpg

I wish Lana would do another NFR-esque cover in the future…or at least something a little avant-garde. 

I know some people hate it, but I found that it was creative and really solidified the record as this apocalyptic invitation in the day-to-day life of LDR. 

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

4 hours ago, BlueINK said:

Lmao and here I am loving Coachella and knowing that the lyrics and the melody are terrible. I was literally rolling my eyes at the chorus. It's probably because it reminds me of my filedtrip in the nature and good time. Meanwhile I hate every single song I had listened during quarantine in spring 2020 no matter how good they were because it reminded me of that time. Am I the only one doing that? 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

On 11/23/2021 at 9:31 AM, TrashMagiq said:

"what if somebody asked Picasso not to be sad" is one of her worst lyrics like what the fuck is that ew 

Right :facepalm: idk how to express this well and I feel like I need to be careful - it’s confusing bc there are some incredible lyrics on bb but then there are a few lyrics that seem like half-thoughts or like they were written very quickly? I do love the kind of improv one-take style in songs like pretty when you cry and white dress but I prefer when it’s obvious and I def don’t really like it when it’s the writing rather than the song itself that seems one-take? I just really like when she “tries” and her lyrics are so precise and intentional and well-expressed, like text book’s (and the vast majority of her work, including that on bb!) 

mUENGN9.png

In her last songs she wanted to tell her own story. I like that because I'm very interested in it, but for others it could be misunderstood as selfish because it seems like she finds her life more important than others'. It's also harder to identify with the songs because you have to put yourself specifically into her life story.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:10 PM, Super Movie said:

People like the demo, but most people dislike the version that's on NFR because of the lyric changes and slight changes in production

Oh I completely agree with that! The demo is top tier and was ruined for NFR 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

4 minutes ago, Doll Harlow said:

Carmen is a beautiful and interesting song and I don't get why it's so many people's least favorite from BTD.

adding to this, i don't know why there's hate for dark paradise, i don't consider it filler, it's about somebody who she loved who died, it's a strong subject matter which definitely adds depth to the album itself & the other tracks

WGe8ynS.gif

5 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

adding to this, i don't know why there's hate for dark paradise, i don't consider it filler, it's about somebody who she loved who died, it's a strong subject matter which definitely adds depth to the album itself & the other tracks

I used to dislike Dark Paradise but lately it has been hitting right for me... no idea why. I'm glad that it has grown on me because I always felt left out when people said it was a great song. 

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

I’ve said it a million times, but I love Chemtrails so much, it’s perhaps my favourite record of hers for so many different reasons, and I just can’t believe how undervalued it is among fans. It’s a gem in her discography, it truly is so classic and timeless. It’s the Midwestern leg of the NFR tour suspended in time, which really was a beautiful mini-era to witness as a fan in real time. :wub:

1 hour ago, Surf Noir said:

No because I actually feel so bad about not liking DP because I want to so bad. Lyrically, it's right up my alley. But something about the production just makes it not click for me and I don't even know why (although that intro?? amazing). I have actually been warming up to the first demo lately though. 

imageproxy.jpg