Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Whenever I encounter something online — usually a Tik Tok video, or an Instagram post — that kind of makes fun of Lana, or oftentimes, a post where a fan will say something about a track/album and attach it to some cringeworthy archetype or an experience they’ve had, I can’t help but feel some sense of shame — almost like the way they go about talking about Lana’s catalogue bastardizes the music. I feel there’s a new wave of fans that don’t really get the music, (which out of context, may sound kind of pretentious), but the reality is that people are severely adding to the negative discourse surrounding Lana’s music, often latently creating hierarchies or suggestions about what kind of person you are based on your favourite album — and not in a fun personality quiz way, but in a weird way that cheapens what each record’s themes are. And that feeds journalists’ uninformed “critiques” and interpretive-portrayals of Lana’s records. They’re getting these opinions from the culture (the fans who participate in the platforms that enable said culture).

I take particular notice to fans who say that AKA is a record about “grooming” or “glamorizes trauma”, deeming it unlistenable. Or those who attach Ultraviolence to a wave of Tumblr content that is superficial and vapid, compared to the record, which is anything but. 

I get that it’s not done in bad faith, but it’s just so…careless. But it’s also these same fans that make blatant statements about Lana’s appearance over 10+ years because she’s — according to them —  overcome habits related to her health (when in reality, Lana has never commented on any such thing). 

It’s this kind of rhetoric that contributes to misinformation, too. We’re in an age where the boundaries between celebrities and followers are so undefined, that it’s easy to say something so absentminded about someone and have it spread like a wildfire. 

Luckily, I don’t see this on LanaBoards at all — and the rare times it has happened, everyone is quick to shut it down lol. 

Just some thoughts this evening 💭 I can’t help but feel the need to defend the integrity of the music when I see content like this online. I’m not saying I absolutely know the complete backstory to Lana’s music or have complete insight into her thoughts - but I also know that it’s never as vulgar or flippant as some make it out to be. 

8 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Whenever I encounter something online — usually a Tik Tok video, or an Instagram post — that kind of makes fun of Lana, or oftentimes, a post where a fan will say something about a track/album and attach it to some cringeworthy archetype or an experience they’ve had, I can’t help but feel some sense of shame — almost like the way they go about talking about Lana’s catalogue bastardizes the music. I feel there’s a new wave of fans that don’t really get the music, (which out of context, may sound kind of pretentious), but the reality is that people are severely adding to the negative discourse surrounding Lana’s music, often latently creating hierarchies or suggestions about what kind of person you are based on your favourite album — and not in a fun personality quiz way, but in a weird way that cheapens what each record’s themes are. And that feeds journalists’ uninformed “critiques” and interpretive-portrayals of Lana’s records. They’re getting these opinions from the culture (the fans who participate in the platforms that enable said culture).

I take particular notice to fans who say that AKA is a record about “grooming” or “glamorizes trauma”, deeming it unlistenable. Or those who attach Ultraviolence to a wave of Tumblr content that is superficial and vapid, compared to the record, which is anything but. 

I get that it’s not done in bad faith, but it’s just so…careless. But it’s also these same fans that make blatant statements about Lana’s appearance over 10+ years because she’s — according to them —  overcome habits related to her health (when in reality, Lana has never commented on any such thing). 

It’s this kind of rhetoric that contributes to misinformation, too. We’re in an age where the boundaries between celebrities and followers are so undefined, that it’s easy to say something so absentminded about someone and have it spread like a wildfire. 

Luckily, I don’t see this on LanaBoards at all — and the rare times it has happened, everyone is quick to shut it down lol. 

Just some thoughts this evening 💭 I can’t help but feel the need to defend the integrity of the music when I see content like this online. I’m not saying I absolutely know the complete backstory to Lana’s music or have complete insight into her thoughts - but I also know that it’s never as vulgar or flippant as some make it out to be. 

please publish an article on this topic in some magazine please i am begging u i KNOW u have the power to single-handedly transform public opinion

mUENGN9.png

3 minutes ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

please publish an article on this topic in some magazine please i am begging u i KNOW u have the power to single-handedly transform public opinion

:spin: AW LOL! You are so funny (and sweet!!!) — it’s a topic I think about so much, I feel like enough of us can put our heads together and shift the discourse :kris:

I’m totally going for the throat with this one but… I genuinely don’t mind if Lana works with Antonoff again. NFR and Chemtrails brought out the perfect marriage between poetry and musicality for Lana and those projects are responsible for Lana finally being heralded as one of the best singer-songwriters working today/alive - that counts to something. Sure, those albums aren’t as ballsy as Ultraviolence or as sonically adventurous as Honeymoon but the sonic landscape in NFR and COCC are very very VERY intricate and cohesive. It may not sound as bombastic as the aforementioned albums or BTD/Paradise/LFL but imo the universe that is built from those albums expands a lot more than all of their predecessors (specially in NFR’s case). I’m a NFR/HM hoe (clearly) but even COCC is a very succinct and coherent piece of work that makes tons of sense after NFR (while being different as well!).

I know Lana and Antonoff can make something new and exciting because if there’s one thing we can’t deny is that Antonoff will get on board with anything Lana decides to do and help her achieve her vision amd build a whole universe from it. I’m not sure the BB producers (with the exception of Zach Dawes) have that capability.

IMG-7960.jpg

33 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

everybody thinks lana's music is just about being depressed, doing coke, & having sugar daddies & i find it so irritating that her music is perceived that way because it's so much more in-depth & meaningful, lana's music is perceived as a cheap tumblr aesthetic, i see jokes people make about how lana ruined their lives, or how lana makes music for girls with daddy issues or whatever it may be, & i think that's so generalizing & harmful, i listen to lana's music & i probably will still be listening to her when i'm old, & i honestly don't want people to look at me a certain way because i do, i think people say those things about certain records & songs (aka & ultraviolence) because they are misinformed, or they don't understand the music, i think aka features some of her most uplifting music, & yes, she does explore dark topics on that record, such as drugs & dependency, but i think it's great that she talks about these things because people will be able to relate to it & find comfort from her work, maybe some people don't realize that singing about certain topics is not the same as promoting or glamorizing them, even if it's talked about in a glamorous way, maybe it's because lana's just a glamorous person :wink: i also think it comes from a place of stigma, especially pertaining to depression & "daddy issues", especially when it's regarding a woman, there's a lot of stigma around her work & i think it's unfortunate the way a lot of people see it, i know not everybody has malicious intentions when describing what her work is like or her audience, but i feel like a lot of people nowadays just say shit & don't even think about what they're saying, & i think the rise of social media has made this a lot worse :tsk: 

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

On 12/18/2021 at 7:55 PM, Surf Noir said:

everybody thinks lana's music is just about being depressed, doing coke, & having sugar daddies & i find it so irritating that her music is perceived that way because it's so much more in-depth & meaningful, lana's music is perceived as a cheap tumblr aesthetic, i see jokes people make about how lana ruined their lives, or how lana makes music for girls with daddy issues or whatever it may be, & i think that's so generalizing & harmful,

Speaking of this, i wanna say those  “tWelVe yEaR oLd mE liStEnIng tO lAna siNg AbOut sUgaR dAdDies dRugS anD oLd mEn 😜🤪” memes are so cringe. A majority of the lana memes are pretty cringe imo bc they’re targeted to locals lmao

6 minutes ago, rhubysyrup said:

Speaking of this, i wanna say those  “tWelVe yEaR oLd mE liStEnIng tO lAna siNg AbOut sUgaR dAdDies dRugS anD oLd mEn 😜🤪” memes are so cringe and unfunny. A majority of the lana memes are pretty cringe imo bc they’re targeted to locals lmao

well, when i was listening to lana del rey at 13 i didn't think of it as daddies, drugs, & old men... i just liked the music & i thought she was a very interesting artist... & it didn't have any effect on the person i am today, but i will say discovering lana gave me the opportunity to appreciate a real, skilled artist, & led me to expanding my tastes in music! which i would say is a good thing! :true: 

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

well, when i was listening to lana del rey at 13 i didn't think of it as daddies, drugs, & old men... i just liked the music & i thought she was a very interesting artist... & it didn't have any effect on the person i am today, but i will say discovering lana gave me the opportunity to appreciate a real, skilled artist, & led me to expanding my tastes in music! which i would say is a good thing! :true: 

Yeah, that’s why i think those memes are so dumb, bc they think that’s all she sings about when her lyrics and themes are about so much more…

12 minutes ago, rhubysyrup said:

Speaking of this, i wanna say those  “tWelVe yEaR oLd mE liStEnIng tO lAna siNg AbOut sUgaR dAdDies dRugS anD oLd mEn 😜🤪” memes are so cringe and unfunny. A majority of the lana memes are pretty cringe imo bc they’re targeted to locals lmao

i actually know someone in real life that thinks this and uh yeah it's exactly as how you'd expect

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

1 hour ago, Surf Noir said:

fuck yes :heart:

couldnt agree more. Tbh i discovered Lana since I was 11 - 12 or something and I don't know why I never cared or judge about anything she sings at all (just like any other artist i listened to) - even if its drugs, being a methhead, suicidal, old daddies and such... even at some point, some were quite shocking for my tiny little mind back then (i really thought "had someone hit her/s*xual ab*sed her in the past" while listening to Ultra), but after all - I just simply listened to her story, respectfully - to simply get to know her. I mean, for me, she was such a mystery, an enigma back then, and it was really exciting to just get online, read stuff about her. I love doing research about her lyrics, the meaning of her image. Until i realized how much I cared about her art to be a die hard stan i am today.

And I also do agree with you that she did not only paved the way for so many other musicians  of this decade, she also contributed in helping me expanding my music taste which is so out of this world and i cant be grateful enough. Knowing Lana is like entering to a different state of mind and honestly, her music didnt bring me depression, it's growth. 

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

A lot of people are talking about the drug lyrics and how everybody makes memes about coke and sugar daddies and stuff, but I think that the people making these memes forget that music has different meanings to different people. I don't do drugs, but lana's music about drugs affects me very personally bc I have/still am struggling with a behavioral (rather than substance) addiction, and her songs make me feel heard and understood.

The issue here is that people do not know how to form connections/their own ideas about lyrics. That’s it. Social media has rotted the brains of most people under the age of 30 to the point of no return. Everything must be agreeable and everyone MUST have the same opinion on a niche unreleased Lana del rey song bc some tik toker who has 50k followers said so. It’s honestly jarring seeing people take lyrics so literally and not even attempt to use an ounce of brain power to think beyond what’s written. 

I say this as a 24 year old, not some bitter boomer lol. Everything centered around Lana when it comes to SM is bc of stereotypes put in place by locals / Stans with too much time on their hands. 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

3 minutes ago, Party Favor said:

The issue here is that people do not know how to form connections/their own ideas about lyrics. That’s it. Social media has rotted the brains of most people under the age of 30 to the point of no return. Everything must be agreeable and everyone MUST have the same opinion on a niche unreleased Lana del rey song bc some tik toker who has 50k followers said so. It’s honestly jarring seeing people take lyrics so literally and not even attempt to use an ounce of brain power to think beyond what’s written. 

I say this as a 24 year old, not some bitter boomer lol. Everything centered around Lana when it comes to SM is bc of stereotypes put in place by locals / Stans with too much time on their hands. 

can you give examples on what people on social media say about lana's unreleased songs? i don't have social media & i'm curious :bebe: (unless it's just the general opinion that her music glamourizes certain topics, etc.) 

47 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

can you give examples on what people on social media say about lana's unreleased songs? i don't have social media & i'm curious :bebe: (unless it's just the general opinion that her music glamourizes certain topics, etc.) 

using songs such as meet me in the pale moonlight and every man gets their wish to post their tired pink 'lolita' aesthetic, using little girls to trauma dump on the internet instead of going to therapy. just to name the most recent trends that involve her music. the Little Girls one is particularly annoying because you also get the wannabe pop music commentators discussing how nobody should be using the song at all because it glamorizes pedophilia even though nobody knows wtf that song is actually about because lana has never talked about it. that, and it's very possible that she, you know, just wanted to write a song with darker undertones  :true:

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

4 hours ago, Party Favor said:

I agree with everything you say, but need to add:

LDR shouldn't take responsibility (or feel guilt) for the new normal. I mean people mis-portraying stuff on social media (aka the "misinformation" age) is just a fact (e.g., politics, elections, vaccines), and appropriating art to inappropriately promote ones fucked up ideas is probably very common (though I don't know such well enough to give examples, because I tend to just ignore them, and LDR should too).  

In terms of an "unpopular opinion" (maybe?), I think it's more critical than ever that LDR release large compilations of her unreleased work, as well as unsuppress AKA. What that would do is show a fuller range of artistry and make it harder to pigeonhole her. I don't think her earlier materials are even problematic relative to pop music (both currently and historically), and no amount of screeching on the part of critics (both musical and societal) is going to make me believe otherwise.

8 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

I'm so glad you said this and I loved reading it :heart: Obviously everyone will relate to or connect to a song in whatever way they feel is applicable, which is fine, but it gets to a point with Lana where people start to blame her for their problems because of her music. And this blaming tends to come from a complete misunderstanding of the material. It's not Lana's fault that you have daddy issues because she wrote Cola lol. I think the song I have the biggest issue with the misinterpretation of is Ultraviolence. I hate the way that people have turned that song into romanticizing/being pro-abuse when it's quite literally the opposite. The way that people talk about AKA is super weird to me too. I see people on TikTok all the time saying that you shouldn't listen to it because of reasons I'm pretty sure they just made up 

imageproxy.jpg

12 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

Uhm you need to become a journalist or something!! This is so true. The wave of new Lana fans on TikTok has been a both positive and negative thing. There’s of course new fans coming in that found her music and support Lana and then you have those (the majority imo) that are obsessed with her older songs and are only “fans” because they have this lolita sugar daddy fantasy and they believe that Lana’s music is all about that. I can’t stand it. They’re making a bad image for someone they claim to be a fan of. It’s awful. 

I’ll say this: I’ve been listening to Lana since I was 9 years old. Almost half my life. Never have I thought that her music was encouraging or glamorizing any topic she sung about. Even me, as a child, could understand that obviously her music was not supporting the behavior. It’s really harmful that people are spreading the idea that old Lana was purposefully making songs about serious issues as a way to glamorize them or make them seem romantic. It’s making Lana seem like a bad person. If anything, Lana’s music helped me as a child. I seriously don’t know what I would be without her. She has been a huge influence in my life and it really hurts me to see people saying that her music is spreading a bad message just because they won’t take a minute to look at her lyrics and will instead follow a 15 second TikTok clip. 

giphy.gif 

3 hours ago, Super Movie said:

I'm so glad you said this and I loved reading it :heart: Obviously everyone will relate to or connect to a song in whatever way they feel is applicable, which is fine, but it gets to a point with Lana where people start to blame her for their problems because of her music. And this blaming tends to come from a complete misunderstanding of the material. It's not Lana's fault that you have daddy issues because she wrote Cola lol. I think the song I have the biggest issue with the misinterpretation of is Ultraviolence. I hate the way that people have turned that song into romanticizing/being pro-abuse when it's quite literally the opposite. The way that people talk about AKA is super weird to me too. I see people on TikTok all the time saying that you shouldn't listen to it because of reasons I'm pretty sure they just made up 

i don't even understand this... how could you possibly have daddy issues from listening to a lana song? you can't get daddy issues from a song, it happens when the relationship with the father is strained/absent and it affects you emotionally/mentally as well as the way you see relationships, anybody who's saying they got daddy issues from a lana song already had daddy issues in the first place or don't know what daddy issues actually are, which of course, is sad because it stigmatizes daddy issues and it's very misinforming, i really dislike when people act like lana's music "ruined their life", like, NO, that was your choice, leave lana's music out of it because i gurantee you that you don't even understand it