Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

14 hours ago, Gravitate said:

Chemtrails Over the Country Club is such a beautiful album title :gurl:

I agree. It has to be her best album title. 

The problem was the visuals which Lana fucked up by choosing awful album covers and terrible music videos. The video for Chemtrails was beautiful. That was the only good thing (visually) from that era. 

I know people saying guns and roses is a good song is very common in this thread so i hope the details of what I'm saying hasn't been said 100 times already. I'm here to express my love for the vocal layering in the pre-chorus + chorus and the psychedelic distortion towards the end of the song. You can't call UV her masterpiece album with psychedelic rock influence without appreciating this song. 

Her singing in the verses isnt the most vibey and sultry, but if she released something like that nowadays yall would be saying "ugh finally her deep UV vocals are back :cumming:!!!!" 

Let me also just say it's a headphones song and the feeling im left with after the song ends is very similar to what I get with honeymoon (album) and cotcc (song). The experience is also heightened on acid so maybe that's half the reason I defend jt

20 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

Whenever I encounter something online — usually a Tik Tok video, or an Instagram post — that kind of makes fun of Lana, or oftentimes, a post where a fan will say something about a track/album and attach it to some cringeworthy archetype or an experience they’ve had, I can’t help but feel some sense of shame — almost like the way they go about talking about Lana’s catalogue bastardizes the music. I feel there’s a new wave of fans that don’t really get the music, (which out of context, may sound kind of pretentious), but the reality is that people are severely adding to the negative discourse surrounding Lana’s music, often latently creating hierarchies or suggestions about what kind of person you are based on your favourite album — and not in a fun personality quiz way, but in a weird way that cheapens what each record’s themes are. And that feeds journalists’ uninformed “critiques” and interpretive-portrayals of Lana’s records. They’re getting these opinions from the culture (the fans who participate in the platforms that enable said culture).

I don't see any wrong with meme-ing her music from time to time or joking among fans. I do the same with my friends. No one is ruining her music, it creates a community on platforms or even attracts people to listening her albums. As for the 'new wave' of fans that don't understand her music you all sure forgot the OG fans that are responsible for the tumblr sad girl aesthetic with soft grunge, tears, grained pictures and a lot of roses. That was the peak of teens glamorizing anything bad and Lana being their mascot. I remember thinking that something was wrong with me for not relating to abuse and extreme heartbreak. 

I mean, your music taste says somethiiing about you as a person. I usually see rock fans or girls who like darker themes loving UV and a little bit of BTD and pop listeners who don't like edgy music preferring NFR and LFL. Idk, that paragraph sounded like gatekeeping I see in rock and metal music when white men gatekeep the entire genre, albums or a band. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

28 minutes ago, shady said:

I don't see any wrong with meme-ing her music from time to time or joking among fans. I do the same with my friends. No one is ruining her music, it creates a community on platforms or even attracts people to listening her albums. As for the 'new wave' of fans that don't understand her music you all sure forgot the OG fans that are responsible for the tumblr sad girl aesthetic with soft grunge, tears, grained pictures and a lot of roses. That was the peak of teens glamorizing anything bad and Lana being their mascot. I remember thinking that something was wrong with me for not relating to abuse and extreme heartbreak. 

I mean, your music taste says somethiiing about you as a person. I usually see rock fans or girls who like darker themes loving UV and a little bit of BTD and pop listeners who don't like edgy music preferring NFR and LFL. Idk, that paragraph sounded like gatekeeping I see in rock and metal music when white men gatekeep the entire genre, albums or a band. 

What I said applies to a very specific group of people and refers to a larger cultural problem, rather than a couple witty jokes here and there like you seem to think I am taking an issue with. I myself as an OG fan know exactly the overblowing on Tumblr you're talking about and I had a disdain for it then, too, so it's not exclusive to just new fans –– it is a type of fan that is just more visible now. I, too, didn't relate to the extremities on their part in terms of trivializing or blaming Lana for their deep-seated issues, but I never thought something was wrong with me for not relating to that. I knew then and I know now how a large portion of listeners (of any artist) instinctively project their issues onto the artist with whom they resonate. 

I agree that music taste indicates parts of your personality, but let me be clear that I was referring to the generalizations people make based on said music taste, the rampage of which only continues to stigmatize topics at the risk of marginalizing mostly women. People poking fun at women for having 'daddy issues' because they listen to Lana points to a bigger cultural problem where we blame women for psychological distress caused by their emotionally or physically absent fathers. Lana is not to blame for someone's psychological issues. The reality is that those issues were already there and, perhaps, Lana is being used as a scapegoat. And that's not to fully vilify the fans, either – I can recognize where those behaviours come from and feel sympathetic that they have to manipulate the music like that. But I don't have to excuse it.

Perhaps that sounds like 'gatekeeping' – but to that, I would encourage you to see the nuance in which I initially made that post.

12 minutes ago, shady said:

i think ur really reducing what @IanadeIrey said + memes surrounding her music are REAL boring; i think lana's music deserves to be treated w a lot more dignity and like... a critical thought + it's not gatekeeping to say ppl should perhaps not perpetuate tired uncritical stereotypes re her music lol :trisha: 

mUENGN9.png

16 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Lol u actually came back to double down on this after getting warned. 

This isn’t the place for this bs but I cannot come to terms with the level of immaturity and self absorption you managed to stoop down to today. Why? Cause if ur gonna quote to reply something I said, please make sure to quote it in it’s entirety instead of editing out 98% of it and using one specific sentence to your advantage to make me look worse than I already did. Especially when part of that 98% was a sincere apology after realizing my misdoings. I may have said something out of turn for which I clearly admitted and apologized for, but then editing that post to remove my apology and use one line at ur advantage by making it seem Like I had talked shit instead is on a whole other level. Get over yourself

tenor.gif

I prefer her aesthetic from NFR! to now (and the albums) than what it used to be (???)

Maybe as I’ve grown up my tastes have changed too

lol 

i love chemtrails but i hate when people say its lana "at her most joni mitchell". despite it featuring a joni mitchell cover, it is by far her least joni-esque album both musically & in spirit. yosemite comes close to joni energy but the fairly simple structures & melodies & lyrics throughout most of the album are more like carole king or joan baez but definitely not joni mitchell. i truly believe people only think thats her most joni mitchell sounding album bc she covers her on it & most people associate joni mitchell with basic folk music but even her "folk" music was experimental & jazzy & completely offbeat. imo lana at her most joni mitchell is still aka or hm (but bb does have more of that chaotic joni energy again)

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

16 minutes ago, scarlettohara said:

i love chemtrails but i hate when people say its lana "at her most joni mitchell". despite it featuring a joni mitchell cover, it is by far her least joni-esque album both musically & in spirit. yosemite comes close to joni energy but the fairly simple structures & melodies & lyrics throughout most of the album are more like carole king or joan baez but definitely not joni mitchell. i truly believe people only think thats her most joni mitchell sounding album bc she covers her on it & most people associate joni mitchell with basic folk music but even her "folk" music was experimental & jazzy & completely offbeat. imo lana at her most joni mitchell is still aka or hm (but bb does have more of that chaotic joni energy again)

White Dress proves Lana IS her own genre for a reason. It's not Joni Mitchell, it's Lana Del Rey.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

I actually don't mind the "iPhone 11 / Fuck you Kevin" line in Sweet Carolina. It's obviously just a cute little joke between her and Chuck and I find the delivery of it to be really sweet (you can tell that she's smiling as she sings it)

imageproxy.jpg

I know everyone prefers the Architecture demo but I've come to love The Next Best American Record album version more. The production just makes it hit more.

The part with the glass shattering... is perfection :bodyisready:

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

9 hours ago, Super Movie said:

I actually don't mind the "iPhone 11 / Fuck you Kevin" line in Sweet Carolina. It's obviously just a cute little joke between her and Chuck and I find the delivery of it to be really sweet (you can tell that she's smiling as she sings it)

I really like the iPhone reference, too, in Sweet Carolina (as well as the swearing, but that's maybe for a different reason). The song's vocals, production, and style (e.g., melody) could have been a hit in the 1920s-50s, so the lyrics date stamp the actual date of the release pretty specifically to the 21st century. Hence, future historians of ancient earth (who will hopefully be human) will not be confused about the song's release era, if they only have the song's style to work with. Also, date stamping the song by referencing a device that understands timestamps seems auto-recursively clever to me.

9 hours ago, Doll Harlow said:

I know everyone prefers the Architecture demo but I've come to love The Next Best American Record album version more. The production just makes it hit more.

The part with the glass shattering... is perfection :bodyisready:

It’s the same exact production isn’t it? Just in better quality?

whatarecoloris.jpg