Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

the fact that euphoria practically stole water color eyes causing rock candy sweet to be retitled to blue banisters makes me cry a bit. like it would’ve been SO MUCH BETTER AS RCS 

i love cotcc 

florida kilos is my favorite song 

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif

59 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

After honeymoon, Lana’s music drastically changed

and honestly not for the best :oop2:

28 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

i think NFR is lanas best work but my favorite album is UV. NFR is cozy, warm, familiar, emotionally mature, and feminine. 

period i agree

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif

On 7/2/2022 at 11:56 AM, Deadly Nightshade said:

I felt the exact same way when it first came out. After some years I started to appreciate it more and found some songs that i really like as well but i don’t believe that NFR  is her biggest defining moment as an artist as some might believe . 

Especially not defining. What defined her as an artist were all albums before LFL.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

On 7/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, Brow Bone said:

when u really think about it, post-honeymoon, it seems like her music's been more engaging outwardly. 

her immersing and having more of a conversation w current times actually shows much growth in her artistry that a lot of people seem to overlook. 

I agree about the artistic growth but I seem to prefer listening to other people's stories instead of society's.The same is true for Marina. In a 2020 live stream she said that TFJ and EH (and also Froot) were more egotistical because she was young and now she writes about the "collective psyche" and whatnot. But what are her best albums to date...? Exactly those three. And just the same, Lana's best work (to me!) was released up to 2015. Then she went societal... LFL does it especially and it's subjectively her worst album to date.

I just feel like when artists try to speak for others they are never as good (and also water themselves down) as when they just write about their own thoughts and experiences. If I wanna know what's going on in the world, I turn on the news.

I personally want artists to be weird - unique lyrics, unique sound, unique thoughts. 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

10 hours ago, pinkfuneral said:

I've been tearing up nearly every day this month listening to the demo version of TNBAR. I really hate how her demos often sound so much denser and more emotional than the album versions. To me they sound more "Lana" than the final versions. Maybe not as polished but more compelling sonically

Totally! Especially with TNBAR, Beautiful People and Lust for Life. 

There's probably more of them out there that we don't know about. I don't like thinking about that :excited:

1 hour ago, BlueINK said:

I agree about the artistic growth but I seem to prefer listening to other people's stories instead of society's.The same is true for Marina. In a 2020 live stream she said that TFJ and EH (and also Froot) were more egotistical because she was young and now she writes about the "collective psyche" and whatnot. But what are her best albums to date...? Exactly those three. And just the same, Lana's best work (to me!) was released up to 2015. Then she went societal... LFL does it especially and it's subjectively her worst album to date.

I just feel like when artists try to speak for others they are never as good (and also water themselves down) as when they just write about their own thoughts and experiences. If I wanna know what's going on in the world, I turn on the news.

I personally want artists to be weird - unique lyrics, unique sound, unique thoughts. 

I think this is what I've been trying to say for years but instead when I try to say it, it only sounds like LFL, NFR and COTCC criticism .

5 hours ago, BlueINK said:

I tend to agree that her earlier albums are more impactful (i.e., to me personally), but I don't think they're necessarily better or more personal. I mean Blue Banisters is a very personal album, just not exactly in the genre she got famous for. Also, her struggles are really different now (as in she is an accomplished artist), and just watching the news is a trumatic experience, so she sings about that too. She is of the news and in the news, as when she sang "Kanye is blonde and gone" (having sang at his wedding at Kim's request and having had social media "wars" with him), and the stuff about wildfires, I'm guessing she had to take a bunch of detours in Malibu because of them. Her weirdness may be a little blunted these days, but that could be due to the world stepping up its game in weirdness, so she doesn't want to come off as rubbing salt in the wounds, even while she's deeply affected by it. I guess the "unpopular" opinion would be: when she does sing about the news, she does so personally. 

I like the original Buddy’s Rendezvous better. Even though I first listened to Lana’s version, I couldn’t get into the song until I listened to the original and now I can’t stop replaying it. Absolutely heartbreaking, it might easily be one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard.

It's not mean, and I respect other singers, but I think Lana is the only one to be the queen of her genre, to have developed it with incredible musical and artistic perfection. She's just perfect everywhere. She's kind of like the top of the class, she's got it all figured out. I think too many artists try to copy her, although they try to change a few things here and there, there is often an obsession in the background to copy what she does and her videos. It may not be their intention, but it's hardly laughable, and no one comes close to it. There is inspiration and inspiration and for many there is not.

Since she became known, I have lost count of the number of "sad and aesthetic" artists who have appeared, it's nice but there are too many now. Lana deserves more credit. I'm not targeting her in particular, but Ethel Cain is a distant copy of Lana Del Rey for example, she sings well but people have to find their own universe like Lana built hers.

31 minutes ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

Since she became known, I have lost count of the number of "sad and aesthetic" artists who have appeared, it's nice but there are too many now. Lana deserves more credit. I'm not targeting her in particular, but Ethel Cain is a distant copy of Lana Del Rey for example, she sings well but people have to find their own universe like Lana built hers.

No, that's definitely not her. Ethel mixes horror with erotic, her style is ethereal Southern Gothic, not Hollywood sadcore. That's something very different from what Lana does.

17 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

No, that's definitely not her. Ethel mixes horror with erotic, her style is ethereal Southern Gothic, not Hollywood sadcore. That's something very different from what Lana does.

I would listen to it more carefully.

1 hour ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

It's not mean, and I respect other singers, but I think Lana is the only one to be the queen of her genre, to have developed it with incredible musical and artistic perfection. She's just perfect everywhere. She's kind of like the top of the class, she's got it all figured out. I think too many artists try to copy her, although they try to change a few things here and there, there is often an obsession in the background to copy what she does and her videos. It may not be their intention, but it's hardly laughable, and no one comes close to it. There is inspiration and inspiration and for many there is not.

I totally agree that Lana is the queen of her genre and the top of the class, but Ethel Cain is definitely not a distant copy of Lana. I hear Lana's influence in her music, but Ethel Cain has absolutely built her own universe as well and is the first artist I've heard since Born To Die to knock it out of the park for me right off the bat like Lana did. She's incredible.

2 hours ago, lili said:

I like the original Buddy’s Rendezvous better. Even though I first listened to Lana’s version, I couldn’t get into the song until I listened to the original and now I can’t stop replaying it. Absolutely heartbreaking, it might easily be one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard.

Ok actually I’m in the same boat, I bought the boxset for Lana’s version, Hell I love her rendition of it.

But I actually listen to FJM’s more…

:shh2:

IMG-3521.jpg