Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

6 hours ago, BlueINK said:

Okay so Guns & Roses is a really good song. Usually, when our opinions about songs differ, I can see where the other person's coming from but I simply disagree, like I get your point. But for G&R I genuinely don't see the point...? 

The lyrics are beautiful, the humming in the beginning, the bridge is nice. @Surf Noir (sorry didn't know if you wanted to be tagged or not if I'm talking about you) called it mellow in their status which I think is really fitting. It's relaxing and warm and hazy, like a summer evening by the glistening ocean. I love lying in the sun and listening to it. 

ea80ed24a29ec340e1db88a2f2ab646e.jpg

I didn't like the chorus at all cause it was too repetitive and sounded kinda bad to me... but one day it suddenly clicked for some reasons and I've really loved that songs ever since. 

I've always liked the verses and bridge tho

giphy.gif

Update

I like Blue Banisters but the tracklisting makes it seem way worse than it is. She needed to spread out the slow piano songs and scatter the faster songs like BBS, IYLDWM, Dealer among them to break up the monotone sound… ideally cut out some of the old leaks too and keep the original Thunder 

nodaysgoby-monique.gif

I really cannot stand the tempo changes in Text Book.

It changes going into the chorus, then it changes again when she sings "There we were! Screaming BLACK LIVES MATTERRR"

It's not seamless at all, you can pinpoint exactly where it's been slowed down by Mike (?) who, whilst we're on the subject of unpopular opinions, did nothing for that album or for Lana.

And when he was like, "oh, but that's what she wanted!" I really doubt she said, "I want you to deliberately fuck with the tempo of this song so that it sounds like some 12 year old playing around in Garage Band"

:wtf3:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

3 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

It changes going into the chorus, then it changes again when she sings "There we were! Screaming BLACK LIVES MATTERRR"

It's not seamless at all, you can pinpoint exactly where it's been slowed down by Mike (?) who, whilst we're on the subject of unpopular opinions, did nothing for that album or for Lana.

And when he was like, "oh, but that's what she wanted!" I really doubt she said, "I want you to deliberately fuck with the tempo of this song so that it sounds like some 12 year old playing around in Garage Band"

agreed. no matter how many times i listen to it, its still jarring. i love the song but the transitions just arent seamless at all. super abrupt. 

10 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I like the tempo changes, I think they make the song so special. Text Book and Blue Banisters are inseparable siblings for me, both have slow tempo and only little instrumentation, but 100% Lana. Both prepare for the beautiful ballad Arcadia and form a powerful trio with her. :wowcry:

10 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I have to entirely ignore the chorus of Textbook to like it. And its not only the lyrics, its the vibe too. I find it very weak for Lana. But I really do love the verses, especially the second one. 

Its weird because thats the opposite of how i feel for several NFR songs like the title track, Love Song and California where i love the chorus but dont like the verses. 

10 hours ago, mlittle11 said:

agreed. no matter how many times i listen to it, its still jarring. i love the song but the transitions just arent seamless at all. super abrupt. 

And when some of yall here try to compare it to West Coasts tempo change :thumb2: WC is the cultural reset TB will never be. 

11 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

A hundred times YES

Omg Textbook don't get me started. I do NOT understand the hype at all. The BLM lyric oh noooo and the tempo changes... I personally also don't like the melody of the chorus tbh.

The verses are so much better though. I love how it starts and sounds so dark and gloomy. The verse lyrics are also good.

But the chorus oh the chorus... :kum:

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

12 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Are you thinking of Mike Dean? He only worked on Wildflower Wildfire. I remember he talked about adding the crunchy drums to that song. I don’t think any of the producers of Text Book(Zachary Dawes, Gabe Simon, Dean Reid) have ever talked about the creation of the song, but maybe I just missed it. 

text book is a funny one :um2: on paper i feel like i should really like it - it's got tempo changes, a gloomy western vibe, vulnerable lyrics... all things i really love in lana tracks - but something about it just doesn't click for me. i think it might be more interesting and enjoyable if perhaps the second verse carried on the same tempo as the chorus after the (admittedly not very seamless) transition and change of pace. i also think it needs more drums - the second verse (if it did carry on the same tempo as the chorus like i suggested) could benefit from some cool FIILY-esque kinda drums, but less surfy obviously. i also think it just needs more OOMPH overall, like it feels very flat and empty. the chorus really needs to feel like a breath of fresh air if its going to utilise a tempo change, but it doesn't really :( idk it sounds like a demo almost. needs more oooooomph!!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I can't find the post, but I once said in this thread that I didn't like Blue Jeans and I would like to retract that statement because I was wrong :true:

imageproxy.jpg

12 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

text book is a funny one :um2: on paper i feel like i should really like it - it's got tempo changes, a gloomy western vibe, vulnerable lyrics... all things i really love in lana tracks - but something about it just doesn't click for me. i think it might be more interesting and enjoyable if perhaps the second verse carried on the same tempo as the chorus after the (admittedly not very seamless) transition and change of pace. i also think it needs more drums - the second verse (if it did carry on the same tempo as the chorus like i suggested) could benefit from some cool FIILY-esque kinda drums, but less surfy obviously. i also think it just needs more OOMPH overall, like it feels very flat and empty. the chorus really needs to feel like a breath of fresh air if its going to utilise a tempo change, but it doesn't really :( idk it sounds like a demo almost. needs more oooooomph!!

Maybe I enjoy Text Book more because I have superb speakers and can hear all the background instruments and chorus clearly, the overall sound atmosphere is really good in this song, I don't feel it's flat or empty.

16 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

I can't find the post, but I once said in this thread that I didn't like Blue Jeans and I would like to retract that statement because I was wrong :true:

it used to be my least favorite song from btd but now I can finally say that I like it :gasp:

24 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

7 minutes ago, Bird World said:

it used to be my least favorite song from btd but now I can finally say that I like it :gasp:

i relate! blue jeans used to be one of my least favorites but now i quite like it! :smile:

WGe8ynS.gif

12 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

Maybe I enjoy Text Book more because I have superb speakers and can hear all the background instruments and chorus clearly, the overall sound atmosphere is really good in this song, I don't feel it's flat or empty.

you might be right! something about it just sounds so... almost quiet? whenever i listen to it! but maybe ill give it a proper listen and some good speakers and change my mind!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

i love text book mostly bc there is so much going on conceptually but i am still trying to understand what she means when she fits too many words into a lyric to an ummmm unmelodious effect somewhat. i feel like it's a conscious decision maybe to marry poetry spoken word and song? it doesnt make for the easiest listening and i guess she might not want some of her recent v personal songs to be but im here 4 her gatekeeping <3

mUENGN9.png

On 9/21/2022 at 10:53 PM, Venice Peach said:

I didn't like the chorus at all cause it was too repetitive and sounded kinda bad to me... but one day it suddenly clicked for some reasons and I've really loved that songs ever since. 

I've always liked the verses and bridge tho

A lot of Lana's songs are repetitive tho. Cruel World is very repetitive but it's universally loved by the fandom....but literally the last few minutes are her repeating the same verse with 1-2 lyrical changes dddd. 

I kinda understand the Guns & Roses hate but at the same time it's far from her worst and is actually a nice song. I particularly enjoy the bridge, it's heavenly. I think it's just somewhat of a filler song on an incredibly album so it gets a bad wrap. Definitely more "subdued" than other tracks on UV. But still good...I mean she can't make bad music that's for sure!

15 hours ago, Venice Peach said:

I love this thread just for the fact that's so interesting to me how different taste can be between people :oic3:

I'm sure there are users here that hate OTTR for example and that's wild but fascinating  :thirst:

I love this thread because I have the most unpopular LDR opinions of anyone, I believe, and it’s nice to know there’s a place for them should I want to share them. But of course having a place to share them doesn’t equate to ‘no blowback.’

I am glad posters are much less hateful here than they used to be. The ‘block this user’ feature is everyone’s best friend. I probably have the longest block list of anyone too. But I haven’t had to block anyone in since the pre-pre-release thread for ‘NFR!’

This isn't really an unpopular opinion, but doesn't anyone else literally not touch Video Games anymore? I listen to Born To Die pretty often and use a lot of the songs but I literally can't remember the last time I went to listen to Video Games....I dunno why, I still love it and think it's an amazing song. Maybe the nostalgia is holds for me is too strong and I don't want to get overly emotional listening to it because it really just takes me back for some reason...but yeah I never touch it.