Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Just now, Surf Noir said:

i don't think repetition is automatically a bad thing, majority of songs have some sort of repetition because that gives them a groove/melody and our brains like repetition, it just makes sense for songs to have repetition of any kind, i don't think the repetitive choruses of the ultraviolence album takes away from the beauty and artfulness of the tracks

Exactly! To me a song like 'Sad Girl' is an example for why the repitive lyrics don't affect me in anyway whatsoever—the whole vibe is just impeccable and intense. :smile4:

5 minutes ago, West Coast said:

People that act as if lyrical repetition is weak/subpar songwriting, but consider the wordy-mouthful-spoken-unmelodic lyrics better/superior songwriting just because it's more developed or "cultivated" are pretentious as fuck.

English isn't my native language, and while I definitely have an appreciation for the beauty/meaning in Lana's lyricism, for me it's all about the delivery and how well it mesh with the melody.

I couldn't care less that Ultraviolence (the album) has so-called repetitive lyrics—it's still meaningful and the delivery is impeccable and impactful. It gives so much oomph so the songs, and complements the melodies so well. On some other album, the delivery just isn't as nice and while the lyrics are somewhat thoughtful, it just has no vibe, the delivery/singing style is off and as a listener it just bores me.

i think that people forget that lana is NOT an alternative / indie artist - she is a pop artist first and foremost and she simply has very alternative / indie sensibilities, tastes & inspirations

taylor swift is very much in the same ball park where her music is inspired by country, rock & indie music and yet she's literally the biggest pop star in the world right now

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

4 minutes ago, West Coast said:

Exactly! To me a song like 'Sad Girl' is an example for why the repitive lyrics don't affect me in anyway whatsoever—the whole vibe is just impeccable and intense. :smile4:

i don't think sad girl is that impressive lyrically honestly, but it's such a great song regardless, the bluesy vibes, the luscious, atmospheric production, the vocals... :legend: 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

10 minutes ago, the ocean said:

i think that people forget that lana is NOT an alternative / indie artist - she is a pop artist first and foremost and she simply has very alternative / indie sensibilities, tastes & inspirations

taylor swift is very much in the same ball park where her music is inspired by country, rock & indie music and yet she's literally the biggest pop star in the world right now

i personally don't really consider lana a pop artist, she's way more alternative to me, however, i would agree that if any of her work is pop, it's definitely born to die, but you can't tell me that ultraviolence, most of her recent albums which are pretty much acoustic, and even some tracks off of paradise and honeymoon, aren't alternative, or rock, or folk, and this isn't directed towards your stance, but i believe the reason why people consider her a pop artist, is because she's a woman, i don't think people refer to alternative bands that are comprised of men, such as arctic monkeys, as "pop", if ultraviolence was recorded by a man, NOBODY would think of it as pop, people would see it as straight-up rock

not counting her pre-fame work btw because some of that was most definitely pop lol

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

Just now, Surf Noir said:

i personally don't really consider lana a pop artist, she's way more alternative to me, however, i would agree that if any of her work was pop, it's definitely born to die, but you can't tell me that ultraviolence, most of her recent albums which are pretty much acoustic, even some tracks off of paradise and honeymoon, are alternative, or rock, or folk, and this isn't directed towards your stance, but i believe the reason why people consider her a pop artist, is because she's a woman, i don't think people refer to alternative bands that are comprised of men, such as arctic monkeys, as "pop", if ultraviolence was recorded by a man, NOBODY would think of it as pop, it would be straight-up hard-rock

part of my point is that people have a very narrow perception of what pop actually IS because in essence pop music is quite literally popular music - and alternative is the opposite of that (music that is NOT popular)

and which music we consider what genre generally changes depending on when it was released (the beatles' earlier music is NOW considered classic rock but at the time they were considered a literal boy band)

and let's go back to taylor swift - folklore is not that dissimilar to chemtrails & blue banisters and yet folklore is considered pop (which is understandable due to it's massive success) but chemtrails & blue banisters are not despite achieving a very commendable amount of success as well (not to mention lana being the #10th highest streamed woman on spotify this past year)

and i DO agree that people would consider ultraviolence not pop if it was recorded by a man but i would argue that's less because the work isn't rooted in popular music and more because there seems to be a general negative attitude towards the label of "pop" especially if it's made by men - and there's more respect garnered towards the work because it's made by a man and therefore "less pop"

so yes i do agree that people consider to be a pop artist because she's a woman but i think that's less because she's not pop but more because people are more reluctant to call men who make the same music "pop"

and yes i would call some of the arctic monkeys' work pop

i could have a very broad definition of what pop is and there isn't really a right answer to this question since music is subjective and because it's subjective it can be interpreted in many different ways so i'm not trying to disprove your point

tl;dr - i consider any substantially commercially successful music with a large focus on repetition, song structure & melody to be pop music, and while i do think that women are considered pop music more often than men i think that's less due to their music not being pop but more a reluctance by society to call music made by men pop because pop is seen as an inherently negative thing in terms of artistic creativity and respectability

i hope this makes sense and again i'm not trying to disprove your point or anything this is a subjective topic after all

7 minutes ago, the ocean said:

part of my point is that people have a very narrow perception of what pop actually IS because in essence pop music is quite literally popular music - and alternative is the opposite of that (music that is NOT popular)

and which music we consider what genre generally changes depending on when it was released (the beatles' earlier music is NOW considered classic rock but at the time they were considered a literal boy band)

and let's go back to taylor swift - folklore is not that dissimilar to chemtrails & blue banisters and yet folklore is considered pop (which is understandable due to it's massive success) but chemtrails & blue banisters are not despite achieving a very commendable amount of success as well (not to mention lana being the #10th highest streamed woman on spotify this past year)

and i DO agree that people would consider ultraviolence not pop if it was recorded by a man but i would argue that's less because the work isn't rooted in popular music and more because there seems to be a general negative attitude towards the label of "pop" especially if it's made by men - and there's more respect garnered towards the work because it's made by a man and therefore "less pop"

so yes i do agree that people consider to be a pop artist because she's a woman but i think that's less because she's not pop but more because people are more reluctant to call men who make the same music "pop"

i could have a very broad definition of what pop is and there isn't really a right answer to this question since music is subjective and because it's subjective it can be interpreted in many different ways so i'm not trying to disprove your point

tl;dr - i consider any substantially commercially successful music with a large focus on repetition, song structure & melody to be pop music, and while i do think that women are considered pop music more often than men i think that's less due to their music not being pop but more a reluctance by society to call music made by men pop because pop is seen as an inherently negative thing in terms of artistic creativity and respectability

i hope this makes sense and again i'm not trying to disprove your point or anything this is a subjective topic after all

personally i think cola is her best song

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

15 minutes ago, the ocean said:

i know it is very subjective, because to me, pop music is just simply a genre, i'm aware of the fact that it can technically just be a term referring to any music that is popular, but i feel like when somebody says "pop music" they think of a certain style of music, songs such as smells like teen spirit, sweet child 'o mine, comfortably numb, etc. are massively popular, but to me, it's just inaccurate to refer to them as "pop songs"

also, i will admit, i do have a bias towards "pop music", so that's probably why i'm so adamant that lana's not pop because she's my all-time favorite artist, i wouldn't want to think of my all-time favorite as just a pop artist because i don't think it would accurately represent my tastes, despite the fact that i do like some pop, britney spears is one my favorites, but i do carry the attitude that pop music is not as artistic as other forms, which i know is seen as outdated, but at least i can acknowledge it :bebe: sometimes it's difficult when i enjoy something by alice in chains, but i also enjoy something by ariana grande , it makes me feel confused about my identity as a music-enthusiast :bebe: but at the same time, the reasons why i enjoy songs from rock, folk, etc. musicians and why i enjoy songs from pop musicians are not the same, sometimes i want to listen to something that feels very artistic, sometimes i just want to listen to a bop :beyonce:

7 hours ago, lilac heaven said:

ik this is the unpopular opinion thread so i’m not coming for your unpopular opinion but 😭 i wouldn’t say that lana’s poetry is a side project; if anything it’s her true passion project because she’s always said that she considers herself to be a poet before a musician, before a songwriter, before a performer, etc etc. she’s a poet first in her own eyes and within the context of her own art

I understand why you think. Obviously since I’m not Lana, I don’t actually know what she’s been most passionate about her whole life but IMO she’s put the most time and effort into being a songwriter and mastering that craft so that’s her main thing from my perspective. Plus it is her actual job. Her whole life revolves around being a musician so yeah that’s why I personally see poetry as a side passion in comparison

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

34 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

once again for all those who don't get it:

Violet (the audiobook) is a spoken word album 

https://lanadelrey.fandom.com/wiki/Violet_Bent_Backwards_Over_the_Grass_(audiobook)

:judgingu3:

discography

a descriptive catalogue of musical recordings, particularly those of a particular performer or composer.

:awk:

Anyways let's just move on. I didn't think it'd be so divisive

Edited by Tropico Angel

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

violet discourse :defeated: if lana considers it an album, it’s an album. just because it’s different for her doesn’t mean it’s not an album. there’s really not much of a difference in this situation than, for example, Brian Eno releasing Music for Airports and his other ambient projects off the heels of records like Here Come the Warm Jets and No Pussyfooting. it’s still music, still an album, just meant to be experienced in a different way. and i don’t really think Violet not being on streaming changes anything either, it was pressed to vinyl, CD, and cassette and sold at music outlets (and LA Who Am I to Love You was on streaming at one point). tbh i did consider it separate from her discography before she said anything about it, so it is kind of hard to try to see it as its whole own thing now and i think a lot of people are struggling with that. but can you imagine being Lana, pouring your heart and soul and time into something that you want to stand beside your other work (she’s literally said it’s her favorite album of hers 😭), and then your fans are like, “nope, this isn’t an album or part of your discography no matter what you say” :rip:

streaming especially has blurred the lines and changed the rules of what an album is. the only factor nowadays that determines if a collection of songs is an album, EP, mixtape, project, playlist, compilation, etc etc is what the artist’s intention was to make. and lana intended to make an album

and even being technical, it’s also worth noting that even though Violet is on iTunes under “audiobook”, so is every current Grammy nomination for Best Spoken Word Album as well

49 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

violet discourse :defeated: if lana considers it an album, it’s an album. just because it’s different for her doesn’t mean it’s not an album. there’s really not much of a difference in this situation than, for example, Brian Eno releasing Music for Airports and his other ambient projects off the heels of records like Here Come the Warm Jets and No Pussyfooting. it’s still music, still an album, just meant to be experienced in a different way. and i don’t really think Violet not being on streaming changes anything either, it was pressed to vinyl, CD, and cassette and sold at music outlets (and LA Who Am I to Love You was on streaming at one point). tbh i did consider it separate from her discography before she said anything about it, so it is kind of hard to try to see it as its whole own thing now and i think a lot of people are struggling with that. but can you imagine being Lana, pouring your heart and soul and time into something that you want to stand beside your other work (she’s literally said it’s her favorite album of hers 😭), and then your fans are like, “nope, this isn’t an album or part of your discography no matter what you say” :rip:

streaming especially has blurred the lines and changed the rules of what an album is. the only factor nowadays that determines if a collection of songs is an album, EP, mixtape, project, playlist, compilation, etc etc is what the artist’s intention was to make. and lana intended to make an album

i agree!!! u settled the argument imo :dmd: an album is... an album of recorded sound. lana's spoken word album is an interpretation/performance of the poetry book itself w focus on aesthetics of sound (her intonation, inflection) + original instrumental. it's clearly not a straightforward audiobook. i do think if it was available on spotify etc as a spoken word album (distinct from yet complimentary to the book) it would be quite clarifying/change how it's perceived since rn it might be too closely associated with the book itself, esp if u haven't got/listened to the cd

mUENGN9.png

7 hours ago, Tropico Angel said:

discography

a descriptive catalogue of musical recordings, particularly those of a particular performer or composer.

:awk:

Anyways let's just move on. I didn't think it'd be so divisive

but what about this? :judgingu3:

Discography is the study and cataloging of published sound recordings

Sound recording and reproduction is the electrical, mechanical, electronic, or digital inscription and re-creation of sound waves, such as spoken voice, singing, instrumental music, or sound

But let's be fair, I know we want mostly talk about the musical recordings and not the audiobook ;)

1 minute ago, lilac heaven said:

okay, you two are both right. i think Lana is definitely a pop star in terms of her career trajectory, the way she puts out music, her audience, her place in the public eye, etc, but i don’t think she always makes “pop music”, as in top 40 manufactured for radio and mass consumption. it’s easy to just say that she does make pop music because in reality pop music isn’t one thing, it can’t be defined genre-wise, and lana is a versatile artist whose albums all explore different genres. because of this, plus her popularity and way her career has taken shape, you can say she’s a pop artist because that term doesn’t lock her into being one thing, and she does indeed have the career of a pop artist. you can’t say that Ultraviolence era lana was a folk singer, and you can’t say that Blue Banisters era lana is a rock star, but when you are putting an artist into a category you also can’t really say “oh she’s a folk/rock/acoustic/pop/trap artist”. I think the best way to describe Lana is a pop star who makes alternative music. and a lot of her peers that she shares fans with fall under that same catergory

exactly :true:

20 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

i don't think sad girl is that impressive lyrically honestly, but it's such a great song regardless, the bluesy vibes, the luscious, atmospheric production, the vocals... :legend: 

but... you haven't seen my man...

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.