Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

20 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I can’t see any of work post NFR being considered iconic in the grand scheme of her legacy- NFR will be celebrated I think because it was her biggest “commercial singer songwriter” moment-despite the fact it feels off to me in authenticity.

Same, and it's becoming a reality. I don't think she wanted to be iconic, I think it was her passion project and her attitude towards fame and performing in a sweatshirt proves that. Before that, she was marketing herself like any other pop star. I wonder what happened in her life that made her not want to be a mainstream star anymore. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

19 minutes ago, shady said:

Same, and it's becoming a reality. I don't think she wanted to be iconic, I think it was her passion project and her attitude towards fame and performing in a sweatshirt proves that. Before that, she was marketing herself like any other pop star. I wonder what happened in her life that made her not want to be a mainstream star anymore. 

I'm not sure what it was, but it happened sometime in 2012 (at the latest).

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

6 hours ago, West Coast said:

I don't like NFR, but it didn't feel like it lacked authenticity to me. I just think that besides Venice Bitch, which is a career defining song by all means, the rest of the album felt wishy-washy sonically. Also, I'm kinda over people acting like longer/wordier lines are automatically better than short or repetitive ones in terms of songwriting. I'd rather hear Lana say she's a sad girl on a continuous loop, than hearing her say that she's got fucked so good she almost said "I love you", or sing about her babies on the tourlyfe.

I don't think any of her records lack authenticity, they just all belong in a very specific time and place in her life and her career as a singer songwriter--to the exception of Chemtrails and Blue Banisters who, by all means are good records, but they read more like half-albums or mixtapes. 

It is my belief that her first three records are her most iconique. Born to Die put her on the map, she cemented herself as a multifaceted and growing artist on Ultraviolence, and Honeymoon was her consecration.

I can see what you mean but if I’m recollecting correctly it was around the NFR that she felt a need to “censor herself”-whatever that means in terms of her work.

15 hours ago, violentvioletsky said:

I quite like Don't Call Me Angel :bebe: despite its faults ofc 

honestly me too lmao lana's part completely sold me

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

17 hours ago, shady said:

I’m pretty sure the reception to Born To Die/SNL fiasco is what caused this. It made her go darker. It’s why Born To Die is a lot different from everything else she has done, imo. 

15 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I can see what you mean but if I’m recollecting correctly it was around the NFR that she felt a need to “censor herself”-whatever that means in terms of her work.

Are you talking about UV? Because I’m pretty sure she said she felt like she had to “censor” or “edit” herself (can’t remember the exact phrasing) after the reaction to the “hit me and it felt like a kiss” lyric.

6 hours ago, This Feeling said:

I’m pretty sure the reception to Born To Die/SNL fiasco is what caused this. It made her go darker. It’s why Born To Die is a lot different from everything else she has done, imo. 

I was talking about her post NFR eras - COCC, BB and Ocean Blvd. Nobody outside of America cares about that SNL performance. Also I had no idea about that BTD hate until I watched docus about it years later. The public here loved her. She cares way too much what critics say. She proved that she could sing on music festivals. I don't think it influenced her to go darker. I feel like her UV persona was always a part of her considering her music and image always had a darker undertone and she idolized rock legends from the very start. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

1) tracks that ruin their respective records:

• body electric
  • money power glory
  • fmwttp
  • god knows i tried
  • tulsa jesus freak

tulsa jesus freak is fucking horrible and should've stayed as an unleaked, scrapped song for cotcc.

2) lfl is one of her best works

3) her best work are her most recent records. we all love nfr (...right?) and the cool ppl love cotcc but i adore blue banisters for how calm it is. granted my least favorite tracks on it are her most stripped back (sorry beautiful and vfr fans :pray2:) but my favorites on the record are still way more quiet and bare than her previous work (is it clear that blue banisters is my top record? lmao). i don't HATE btd, uv etc at all, i love 95% of the tracks on them. it's just that nfr-bb (and hopefully ocean blvd) are consistently great and i love them the most :smirk:

1 minute ago, averageUVenjoyer said:

• body electric
  • money power glory
  • fmwttp
  • god knows i tried
  • tulsa jesus freak

tulsa jesus freak is fucking horrible and should've stayed as an unleaked, scrapped song for cotcc.

3) her best work are her most recent records. we all love nfr (...right?) and the cool ppl love cotcc but i adore blue banisters for how calm it is. granted my least favorite tracks on it are her most stripped back (sorry beautiful and vfr fans :pray2:) but my favorites on the record are still way more quiet and bare than her previous work (is it clear that blue banisters is my top record? lmao). i don't HATE btd, uv etc at all, i love 95% of the tracks on them. it's just that nfr-bb (and hopefully ocean blvd) are consistently great and i love them the most :smirk:

you don't seem like an "averageUVenjoyer"

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, baddisease said:

you don't seem like an "averageUVenjoyer"

stop. i chose the name when i was 18 and going thru it (i had a bad haircut)

edit: i am changing my name on lanaboards as of the 7th of february 2023

Edited by averageUVenjoyer

12 hours ago, average BB enjoyer said:

• body electric
  • money power glory
  • fmwttp
  • god knows i tried
  • tulsa jesus freak

oh..  my lord...

0ee59aa49842db2f69a1f29fe8d0f75d.gif

・゚。★。゚・ 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐢'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐞-𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 ・゚。★。゚・

15 hours ago, shady said:

I was talking about her post NFR eras - COCC, BB and Ocean Blvd. Nobody outside of America cares about that SNL performance. Also I had no idea about that BTD hate until I watched docus about it years later. The public here loved her. She cares way too much what critics say. She proved that she could sing on music festivals. I don't think it influenced her to go darker. I feel like her UV persona was always a part of her considering her music and image always had a darker undertone and she idolized rock legends from the very start. 

Fair. But we know she cares what the critics say about her, even as recently as 2021. She got a lot of flack for Born To Die, and she felt like it was personal. Songs like BB, Sad Girl, FMWUTTT, MPG...they all read like satire and winks to her critics, she was leaning into assumptions about her, imo. 

The actual sound of the record may or may not be a reflection of that...but I think the subject matter felt like a "FU" to her naysayers. She even described her life as a "fucked up movie" in that I wish I was dead interview, and basically said she didn't feel any of the positive reception to her as an artist....granted that was in 2014 and she may feel differently now but I think it's safe to say she still felt misunderstood to the point where she released Blue Banisters album.

3 hours ago, Doll Harlow said:

All of Lana's title tracks go hard as hell and it's hard to even rank them.

while i agree with your general sentiment, i think ranking isn't much of an issue. in my subjective opinion, honeymoon and nfr rank below cotcc and ocean blvd.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, average BB enjoyer said:

we all love nfr (...right?) 

No.

Spoiler

But fair enough if you do. 

NFR is mostly seen as her best record by people outside of the fandom. I'd say longtime fans usually agree on UV or Honeymoon.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

i wish she expanded more on the pop/hip-hop sound of LFL (NOT the BTD sound, songs like summer bummer and groupie love are what i want to hear) onto another album.

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・