Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

8 minutes ago, jaesana said:

this song is great. objectively one of my favorites from LFL. i remember when it came out as a single i had it playing in the car right after my high school graduation ceremony and watching the highway lights go by

SAMEEE. I feel it's a very nostalgic song.

I love both the Chemtrails version of LMLYLAW and the UV Pink Champagne tbh.

But I think the song would've been awesome if they were merged by keeping the first verse of the released version, starting out as a ballad but then after the chorus' second time around the bridge have it build up into the rock sound and include some of the unreleased lyrics. So many people prefer the unrleased to released and then say rock would be out of place in COTCC, but nah I think a folk rock ballad sound could've worked with this song and still blend in with the rest of the COTCC theme. 

:sluttybunny:🌧️

11 hours ago, genghis khan said:

i think the way she kind of treats living a reckless life as a sort of martyrdom is getting annoying :rip: 

I think you've hit on a general tendency of hers (and maybe it's a prominent component of depression -- in general -- -- i.e., not saying it's specific to her). However, "martyrdom" isn't how I would describe it. I think it more like "survivor's guilt". Let's take the song Fingertips, where I think that sense is pretty clear:

"Give me a mausoleum in Rhode Island with dad, grandma, grandpa, and Dave
Who hung himself real high
In the national park sky
It’s a shame, and I’m crying right now
I didn’t get to you, save you"
"I wanted to go out like you
Swim with the fishes that he caught on Rhode Island beaches
But, sometimes, it's just not your time, Caroline"
"All I wanted to do was kiss Aaron Greene and sit by
The lake, twisting lime into the drinks that they made 
Have a babe at sixteen, the town I was wed in and die

Aaron ended up dead and not me" 

Now if you're interested in songs like "Hollywood's Dead" (which I still am), I think you can still interpret songs like that the same way as I'm suggesting for Fingertips, although you might have to work harder to do so (i.e., that song is less related to her life personally). 

3 minutes ago, slang said:

I think you've hit on a general tendency of hers (and maybe it's a prominent component of depression -- in general -- -- i.e., not saying it's specific to her). However, "martyrdom" isn't how I would describe it. I think it more like "survivor's guilt". Let's take the song Fingertips, where I think that sense is pretty clear:

"Give me a mausoleum in Rhode Island with dad, grandma, grandpa, and Dave
Who hung himself real high
In the national park sky
It’s a shame, and I’m crying right now
I didn’t get to you, save you"
"I wanted to go out like you
Swim with the fishes that he caught on Rhode Island beaches
But, sometimes, it's just not your time, Caroline"
"All I wanted to do was kiss Aaron Greene and sit by
The lake, twisting lime into the drinks that they made 
Have a babe at sixteen, the town I was wed in and die

Aaron ended up dead and not me" 

Now if you're interested in songs like "Hollywood's Dead" (which I still am), I think you can still interpret songs like that the same way as I'm suggesting for Fingertips, although you might have to work harder to do so (i.e., that song is less related to her life personally). 

I'm thinking less of any of her music, and more of what she's said. Consider her recent comment on Elizabeth Short, which was basically something like "I could have ended up like her."  Or her 2021 Mojo magazine interview which is a very strong example of her fixating on having a rough past and treating it like a badge of honour.

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

12 hours ago, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

Most people believe it replaced BAR.

i hear it the very first time tbh... and i highly doubt it as it was planned first to be a single on a 2016 version of lfl album, then she had a tracklist that consisted of 18 tracks back in May 27 2017, this is what she said in interview, this is the time when coachella already was in a tracklist with BAR, yosemite and 1 other unknown song, then she wrote change, scrapped these 3 songs and added change

at least this is what im getting by timeline

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

1 hour ago, genghis khan said:

I'm thinking less of any of her music, and more of what she's said. Consider her recent comment on Elizabeth Short, which was basically something like "I could have ended up like her."  Or her 2021 Mojo magazine interview which is a very strong example of her fixating on having a rough past and treating it like a badge of honour.

The Elizabeth Short thing, we have to see how that develops. I think survivor's guilt works there too (and could shore up the interpretation that the Lust for Life video was a reference to Peg Entwistle, which of course LDR famously denies). The mojo article strikes me more about whining about the critics, and not martyrdom, per se. I mean, there's a lot of defiance there certainly, but I didn't see too much "recklessness" with her life. I also read it fast so I got some quotes to make sure it's from the article you reference.

“I mean, I guess I’ll never forget my first four years of interviews. They just fucking burned me.”

“I was discredited for seven years,” she says, her voice rising so fiercely it’s briefly unclear whether she’s laughing or crying. “There’s no other way of looking it.”

The type of survivor's guilt I'm thinking about, involves why she would choose to cover Chelsea Hotel no. 2, or reference Amy and Whitney in a song, and I'm sure other things too. Don't get me wrong, she definitely wants to live, but she's also pissed that people that would have been dear to her were cut off (and we should be too).

i still have absolutely no desire for lana to release any of her old unreleased songs... i can listen to them just fine regardless if they're released or not

i'm fine with her releasing a new version of yes to heaven though

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

10 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i still have absolutely no desire for lana to release any of her old unreleased songs... i can listen to them just fine regardless if they're released or not

i'm fine with her releasing a new version of yes to heaven though

This. And when she did release them (like on BB) they felt lazy and the album could have been better without them 

Your Girl (especially that most recent stripped-down, drumless, demo version) is a metaphorical metasong that is autologically about an unreleased song that wants to be released.

And speaking of autological songs, Earthquakes recently made me fall on my butt.

Did You Know There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd:

1.       The Grants

2.       Ocean Blvd

3.       Sweet

4.       A&W

5.       Jimmy Interlude

6.       Candy Necklace 

7.       Peppers

8.       Fingertips

9.       Kintsugi 

10.     Let The Light In 

11.     Grandfather

12.     Paris, Texas

13.     Margaret 

14.     Fishtail

15.     Taco Truck

the interludes feel really unnecessary and some of the titles could be shortened… Also the Jimmy part in A&W as an interlude sounds just right. Taco Truck doesn’t need VB attached… I don’t know what’s up with that :fabcat:

Otherwise another great album by miss Lana :trisha: