Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

18 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

i guess we have different kind of recommendations or smth? on lanaboards its where things the most divided, its nfr and uv both, and the only cool place u can say ur opinions, but still the way u would be called out for calling nfr not her best album, the literally whole tiktok i seen or being sent to praised nfr and bb and would call ultraviolence and honeymoon bad albums, twitter i dont reside there so i cant tell, but here in russia fans made the album to be her best literally shittest fans out there, i seen not much people who would say nfr is not good and hardly ever seen any nfr hater

Probably because Norman is her most popular album after Born to Die, and arguably her best/one of her best? :rip: Lana is a word of mouth artist. Born to Die got popular because the people loved it. Norman got super popular because the people loved it. I have no idea what's so complex? about that. It's a classic and as a fan you should actually be happy about that :rip:

2 hours ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

I hope people on LB know that “old Lana >>>>” opinions aren’t unpopular, and they are very pretentious, the way “new Lana>>>>” are, not unpopular and sound pretentious. Let’s stop
 yeah we (or I?) get it. 

It’s taking every brain cell I have to try and decode this 

2 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I wouldnt say NFR has her most haters- that would definitely be Lust for Life 

Despite me disliking NFR a lot more 

By "hater" I mean those who go on and on with their "arguments" on why NFR! is so so bad. LFL people just call it her weakest. I haven't seen a fight about LFL in years.

Just now, Veinsineon said:

It’s taking every brain cell I have to try and decode this 

It took me a min too :lmao:

13 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

Anyway I'm bored at work so I'll just drop a few unpopular opinions for each record

Born to Die is one of my favorite albums, but Million Dollar Man (ALBUM VERSION), Carmen and Dark Paradise are career lows. Blue Jeans is one of her best songs, I rarely see any love for it on this forum.

Bel Air is super overrated. I probably heard it like 20 times in my life.

The Other Woman is so good and I'm glad it went super viral some time ago. Deserved.

I never understood why people hate on "There's only 24 hours in a day." People always share that singular line as if there weren't a few other lines right after that that develop the idea she was going for.

White Mustang is top 3 on Lust for Life.

The Next Best American Record > Best American Record. I used to think the demo was better, until I revisited it and decided the album version was superior. Also Architecture I don't know if it's a fake title or not but it's terrible.

Chemtrails is her least replayable album ever, and I hope it never happens again lol. I do like the record, and I think it has some of her finest vocals and lyrics, but yeah.

Black Bathing Suit is super good. Nectar of the Gods is one of her worst songs. I cringe at the title alone.

Fishtail only bad song on Oceab Blvd.

Some spills! Can I reply? Cause this is fun lol.

Dark Paradise is pop perfection to me. It's that post-chorus leading into the bridge for me, she put crack in it. I think it meshes perfectly with the earlier songs on the album as well. Million Dollar Man and Carmen are a little forgettable for some reason, I don't know why that is, because I like both tracks, they're just not favorites. I did see a negative opinion about Million Dollar Man in this thread last night and went to listen to it and I still enjoyed it. I think the production is "classic Lana" and I still live for the vocals lol. Carmen has really pretty melodies too. I think the other tracks on BTD are just stronger.

24 is criminally underrated. That bridge? I can't. It and Swan Song both deserve more recognition, they are stellar tracks. The build ups are insane.

White Mustang has always been a favorite of mine. When I think of LFL it's one of the first tracks that come to mind still.

I honestly never had strong feelings towards NBAR when it leaked. I do like both versions though. I've used NFR version more just cause it's there, I like the lyric changes in the chorus, and I like that dancefloor type of sound in the chorus, or whatever you call that lol. Can't remember if it's in the demo or not.

Love BBS. Someone called it cringe, and I can see why, but I live for the rage. The verses are heavenly and then she loses it in the last couple minutes, it's great. I love Nectar of The Gods so much, it just sounds so soul aching to me. I do kind of hate the title, I wish she named it Wild on You or something.

Finally, Fishtail is a BOP sis! Please play it on an endless loop until you are convinced. There's crack in there.

Spoiler

Dancin' there in the hot, hot sun
I know that we've got problems
I plan to address them another day
Palm trees in black and white
I see in technicolor
Maybe I'll take my glasses off so I stop painting red flags green
Lately, I've been sunnin' in the L.A. riverbed
Wearin' nothin' but the summer bruises on my knees
I like how you talk, how you speak, how you look at me
But, lately, I can see

This is ORGASMIC as fuck. Listening to it literally sends chills down my spine and transcends me. It's a major bop.

Tbh, I think the divisiveness on NFR is wild to me. It's a really good album, one of her strongest to me. I'll admit, since 2021 I haven't used it like that, but I'm starting to get back into it lately. I think the change in her songwriting, and the big change from sound after LFL had some people shooketh. Still, I think an album like this was always a no brainer from Lana....I always expected her to go that route, same with COCC. That's why some criticisms for her last few albums genuinely shock me, because this was always where she was headed to me. I like that her music has matured and her approach is more subtle. The last few albums have given us a lot of beautiful moments from her that are very pleasing to me as a longtime fan. And DYK is probably up there with her best but it may be too soon to tell.

In no order, I believe her best albums are: BTD (cmon, it's a classic), UV, HM, NFR, DYK. I do consider Paradise essential listening as well. The sound of Cola, American, Ride, Gods & Monsters was such a moment. 

13 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

Probably because Norman is her most popular album after Born to Die, and arguably her best/one of her best? :rip: Lana is a word of mouth artist. Born to Die got popular because the people loved it. Norman got super popular because the people loved it. I have no idea what's so complex? about that. It's a classic and as a fan you should actually be happy about that :rip:

erm popular =/= best, especially in examples u wrote, and im happy but not happiest about it, as ive already told the complex is annoying loud fans and this unexplainable phenomenon of the wrong and very mediocre LANA album becoming popular and 'classic' between non lana stans, and overatedness of the album comparable to other lana albums, so dont quote me on that anymore please as, as I said, NFR stans are the ones who always make this theme a hot topic *in unpopular thread:lmao:* for making it repetetive, this is why no other album has this kind of discussion

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

I love her current voice. I don't get fans obsession with her lower chest voice. Yes it's great but you can see her voice is phenomenal now-  especially in Hollywood Bowl. 

Girl had worked her ass off on those vocal lessons and her tone is gorgeous , full and rounded. 

Her BTD era voice was shaky, pitchy and bad in some songs. (Looking at OTTR chorus).

That being said I wish she stopped the mumble vocals and really sing her heart out as on HB/Oeaan.

Like we have Ariana for the mumbling already

Random opinions for each album:

Sirens: This album features some of her best writing. Criminally underrated storytelling

AKA: Brite Lites is one of the most unlistenable songs that Lana has every created, close to Betty Boop Boop. Put Me in a Movie is second worst on the album

BTD: Blue Jeans and National Anthem are easy skips

PD: The only one of her albums without a skip

UV: West Coast Radio Mix is better than the final version. Is This Happiness top 3 on the album for sure

HM: All 3 demos for TBD, Freak, and GKIT are better than the final versions. MTWBT bottom 5 on album

LFL: Title track worst song ever put on one of her albums. White Mustang also bottom 5 all time. IMF deserves less hate.

NFR: TNBAR should not have been on this album. Not unpopular but apparently to some it is, this is her best album. Period

COCC: Undeserving of most hate it receives. Dark but Just a Game top 5 of her career easily

BB: IYLDWM should not have been redone; we deserved the original 2013/2014 version. VFR does not deserve any hate period. Interlude is awesome

OB: Judah Smith Interlude and its boring instrumental should never have existed! Margaret Top 5 on album

ezgif-2-61df3cf70b84.gif

Peace by vengeance brings the end.

8 hours ago, Americanboy said:

Some spills! Can I reply? Cause this is fun lol.

Dark Paradise is pop perfection to me. It's that post-chorus leading into the bridge for me, she put crack in it. I think it meshes perfectly with the earlier songs on the album as well. Million Dollar Man and Carmen are a little forgettable for some reason, I don't know why that is, because I like both tracks, they're just not favorites. I did see a negative opinion about Million Dollar Man in this thread last night and went to listen to it and I still enjoyed it. I think the production is "classic Lana" and I still live for the vocals lol. Carmen has really pretty melodies too. I think the other tracks on BTD are just stronger.

24 is criminally underrated. That bridge? I can't. It and Swan Song both deserve more recognition, they are stellar tracks. The build ups are insane.

White Mustang has always been a favorite of mine. When I think of LFL it's one of the first tracks that come to mind still.

I honestly never had strong feelings towards NBAR when it leaked. I do like both versions though. I've used NFR version more just cause it's there, I like the lyric changes in the chorus, and I like that dancefloor type of sound in the chorus, or whatever you call that lol. Can't remember if it's in the demo or not.

Love BBS. Someone called it cringe, and I can see why, but I live for the rage. The verses are heavenly and then she loses it in the last couple minutes, it's great. I love Nectar of The Gods so much, it just sounds so soul aching to me. I do kind of hate the title, I wish she named it Wild on You or something.

Finally, Fishtail is a BOP sis! Please play it on an endless loop until you are convinced. There's crack in there.

Reveal hidden contents

Dancin' there in the hot, hot sun
I know that we've got problems
I plan to address them another day
Palm trees in black and white
I see in technicolor
Maybe I'll take my glasses off so I stop painting red flags green
Lately, I've been sunnin' in the L.A. riverbed
Wearin' nothin' but the summer bruises on my knees
I like how you talk, how you speak, how you look at me
But, lately, I can see

This is ORGASMIC as fuck. Listening to it literally sends chills down my spine and transcends me. It's a major bop.

I definitely the see appeal in melody for songs like Dark Paradise! But I just the production (I hate the bridge) and vocal production is so bad and adds nothing to the album. Love that you love Born to Die though, definitely not "underrated" but it's one of her least-discussed projects on the forum for some reason. A classic that will never be matched!

And yes at the White Mustang stanning :defeated: The lyrics and the vibe are awesome. And I'll try to give Fishtail a try :eek:

8 hours ago, lanaismamom said:

erm popular =/= best, especially in examples u wrote, and im happy but not happiest about it, as ive already told the complex is annoying loud fans and this unexplainable phenomenon of the wrong and very mediocre LANA album becoming popular and 'classic' between non lana stans, and overatedness of the album comparable to other lana albums, so dont quote me on that anymore please as, as I said, NFR stans are the ones who always make this theme a hot topic *in unpopular thread:lmao:* for making it repetetive, this is why no other album has this kind of discussion

Of course I don't think popular = best, you think I'm 14? :rip: By popular I mean people loved it and that's why they got popular, because they're unique as hell and people found a place for them in those records. Lana is not a radio artist, promo artist, social media celebrity or whatever. If something she does gets popular is mostly because it's really good/caused a hell of discussion online, good or bad. Also don't make me look like the annoying aggressive one when you're telling me to stop quoting you :rip: 

I will share you the Spanish definition of "popular", which I think it's different from the English one:

Que pertenece al pueblo (comunidad o grupo mayoritario) o tiene su origen en Ă©l.
"el folclore popular"

Which belongs to or has origin in the people (community or group).

"Popular folklore"

Born to Die and Norman Fucking Rockwell! are part of the popular folklore or the 2010s and 2020s. It's undeniable. Both are masterpieces so at the end of the day this discussion makes no sense.

2 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

Never. IMF is one of her worst songs

:lmao: I'm with you

I might win Worst Taste next year for that, but I enjoy LFL, COCC and BB a LOT more than NFR :bebe:  I revisit it so rarely I sometimes forget it even exists. 

It may be the fact I was super depressed when NFR dropped and I ended up mixing the music and my mental state at the time, but I rarely listen to it except for VB, Hope or FIILY. I'm usually deep in my feelings and thoughts when listening to music and NFR was the only Lana album that made me feel absolutely NOTHING. I love the songs though. I can feel the emotions put in them; they just don't resonate with my own and to me, that's way more important than lyrics or song structure. I just don't enjoy listening to them so I don't :uh:

5 hours ago, That Venice Bitch said:

COCC: Undeserving of most hate it receives

:true: i love the atmosphere this album has, it's one of the most cohesive Lana has made

꧁჊⊱♄ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♄⊱჊꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

here's some opinions for each album, like @That Venice Bitch did!

sirens: sirens is genuinely one of her best albums, her songwriting during the may jailer era was on another level, it deserves more appreciation

AKA: i don't know what i could really say about AKA because i love everything about it, every track serves a purpose, it is perfectly crafted, i don't think AKA has a single flaw, IT IS HER BEST ALBUM, there, i said it!

born to die: born to die doesn't deserve hate just simply for being her most popular album or her most pop-oriented album, i still think born to die is a great album and it has record-breaking longevity and success a decade after it was released, born to die is timeless, it hasn't age and it won't age because nothing else sounds like it, and, for the most part, i don't think it's over-produced, although i do think lolita and million dollar man would've been a lot better if they resembled their demos more

paradise: paradise has a lot of discography highlights, ride, cola, body electric, and gods and monsters... but some of the tracks fall a little flat, blue velvet is cute, but it isn't her most exciting song and i don't think a random cover of a 60s song really suits the rest of the album, especially the religious themes, but i still like it, burning desire is a bonus track so i know it doesn't really count, but i personally never thought that song was anything special, and the paradise version of yayo should never have happened

ultraviolence: i think shades of cool is an amazing song but i hardly ever listen to it :bebe: also i can't get into the other woman, guns and roses is still my favorite song from ultraviolence and i just know one day people will learn to appreciate it

honeymoon: similar to how i feel about shades of cool, i can appreciate the blackest day and recognize that it is a fan-favorite and objectively one of her best songs, but i really don't listen to it that much :bebe: also swan song should've been the closer

lust for life: coachella - woodstock on my mood is not that bad... lust for life is not that bad either but it does pale in comparison to the first two demos, i feel like it isn't as bad of an album as we thought it was, but it still has flaws and weak-points, it probably would've been one of her best albums if it was atmospheric and witchy, more of a natural continuation of honeymoon, instead of a mix of folk, trap, pop, and alternative that it ended up being, certainly not her worst, but certainly not her best either

norman fucking rockwell: norman is NOT her best album, love song is incredibly boring, and bartender is one of the best songs on the album

chemtrails over the country club: i have a soft-spot for chemtrails, i definitely don't think it's her best or her most strongest, but i can appreciate it for what it is, also, yosemite deserves so much better, it went from being one of the most coveted songs in the fandom to being pretty much forgotten about once it was actually released, it is such a gorgeous, haunting song and i just know if it was a leaked track it would be regarded as one of her best

blue banisters: in my personal opinion, her worst album, because of some of the artistic choices made, old outtakes from 2013 had no business being on an album with 2021 songs, and i find it honestly ridiculous that she didn't even re-work/re-record them, text book is a discography highlight, and there's nothing wrong with the production with wildflower wildfire

ocean boulevard: it has some really amazing songs, but some of them just didn't interest me on the first listen and i haven't revisited them since my first listen of the album, such as kintsugi and margaret...  but i may just have to re-visit them, i did not like the last three tracks at all, and candy necklace is one of her best songs

WGe8ynS.gif

People on here still fighting on whether or not NFR is a good album more than 3 years later when there’s kids on TikTok dressed up as maids using the same 3 sped up unreleased songs that are gonna crowd up our concerts...know who the true enemy is..

sgopYhV.gif

Wait I wanna do one for every album now because I'm very unoriginal

Sirens: This album is proof to me that the way that Lana writes and creates music now is nothing new and, if anything, has been more of a return to form than a BTD or UV 2.0 would be. It also just generally has some of my favorite Lana writing ever. 

AKA: I don't want an AKA re-release. I won't complain or anything if we get one, however, I don't think it's something Lana really needs to do. I also will die on the hill that For K Pt. 2 is top three on the album (I'm not sure how unpopular that is though). 

Born To Die: This album is one where I don't like when people say it's her best or say it's her worst because it's her most objectively popular. And I do think that the album itself is kind of dated, but not in a bad way. It feels more like a time capsule. That's also why I don't see the point in wanting "BTD Lana" back. My favorite will always be Video Games. I've also definitely mentioned this before as well, but I will never understand why Dark Paradise was a fan favorite for so long. 

Paradise: Part of me thinks the Paradise EP never needed to exist, but another part of me is so grateful that it does. It's funny because I love so many of the tracks individually (Ride, American, Cola, Body Electric, Gods & Monsters, Bel Air), yet I've never felt like this project was super strong in her discography. I think it would've been a lot more satisfying in terms of Lana's discography to get whatever the original Paradise album was supposed to be just based on the alleged outtakes from that project. 

Ultraviolence: Ultraviolence is not Lana's best album. It's not her strongest album. It's not this magical holy grail in her discography that she needs to be striving to recreate forever. I'm also a Guns and Roses truther for life. It's always been kind of funny to me that that song is the one people don't like because it is so essentially Ultraviolence and pre-Honeymoon Lana. 

Honeymoon: 24 is the reason why I want Lana to lean more into jazz at some point in the future. I also would argue that it's one of her most cinematic songs and I don't get why it's become the unanimous Honeymoon least favorite when Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is right there. Swan Song is the most closing track to ever closing track and it should've wrapped up the album. 

Lust for Life: I won't argue that this album has its flaws. However, it doesn't deserve a lot of the hate that it's gotten over the years and I consider it to be very important to Lana's discography. I actually don't find any song on this album to be objectively bad. Also this album gave us my favorite Lana song of all time so what am I gonna do? Not love it? Adding onto that, the Heroin, Change, Get Free closing of the album is the best last-three tracks out of any Lana album. 

NFR: I know that it's become super popular within Lana's fanbase to hate this album, but it's become such a staple in music for a reason. It's a fantastic fucking album. It's that simple. 

Chemtrails: Chemtrails is such a special album to me and I quite literally don't care that everyone hates it because they think it's "boring". The title track is my favorite Lana title track ever. Honestly, the only songs on it that I really don't care for are LMLYLAW and For Free, and I still really like them. This album may be an acquired taste, but I have it and I love it. 

Blue Banisters: This album isn't the pile of hot garbage people treat it as, but it's not her strongest by any means. I get why it was released though. It feels very personal, almost like an album released just to get these songs out there and feel a sense of relief, which I can respect and enjoy. That being said, Black Bathing Suit and IYLDWM are two of my favorite Lana songs ever. Also, I very much enjoy the piano in Beautiful I don't care. 

Ocean Boulevard: This is another album that I feel like really needs to exist in her discography. It feels like every "version" and piece of Lana combined into one super album. I definitely have a bias towards this album since it's become my favorite of Lana's. I honestly don't even know why it's my favorite. I just know that from my first listen, I felt so attached to it. The only thing I would change is the Judah Smith interlude because, at the very least, it needs to be shorter. I do love the instrumental though. 

imageproxy.jpg

it's so nice seeing appreciation for Guns and Roses... I've always liked this track and i really do not think it's as boring as other people make it out to be. The bridge is amazing :whatever2:

꧁჊⊱♄ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♄⊱჊꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

apparently its unpopular to love Black beauty released version over demo version I- the demo is so empty its almost liveless while the released version is just perfect, the mood is on point wow, this is immaculate version that definitely was released in its best form that this song could ever exist

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y