Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Guest Chloe

Her lips are too big, and her nose job makes her nose look just too perfect to be true.

I don't like This Is What Makes Us Girls, it's just cheesy to me

I think her style and songs now are Waaayyyyyy better than her "Lizzy" days

I actually don't believe she's THAT vocally talented, but she is talented in the sense of style, persona, and overall music. She is awesome at being sexy and sultry tho.

I'm not a huge fan of her old video clips, or even like Video Games tbh

H0bDaqU.gif

Guest Chloe

I think Marilyn Monroe is one of her best songs. It's so cute, not cheesy like everyone says.

Guest Maru the Cat

I'm not at all a fan of (most of) the lyrics in Born to Die. Lyrically, the best song on the album is Video Games. I think most fans choose something like Off to the Races or National Anthem, because of the quick succession of references/"pretty lyrics". That's probably what I dislike most about the lyrical content of the album -- most of lines seem "tumblr-ready" to be made into edits with muted colors and the lyrics in Helvetica transcribed on top.

I'm not sure what Lana's writing-process is like -- she's spoken about it a few times, but has never gone into great detail -- but her lyrics make me think that she thinks of "pretty" lines/phrases/couplets first and foremost, and then strings them together. Something along the lines of, "Oh, I like the lines "soul as sweet as blood-red jam" and "every inch of my tar-black soul", how can I incorporate these into a song?" I think many songwriters use a similar technique, but it just seems like the entirety of most of her songs were written like this. (Again, I admit that I don't know her writing-process and this very well may not be the case). When I listen to a song like Video Games, I don't have the same thought. It strikes me as a very organic song to write, very natural and just... sincere.

Sure, the lyrics are simple, but I like the simplicity. You don't need to be trying to cram in every pretty phrase/60s reference/hip-hop slang into every damn line you write! I'd like to state that I don't inherently hate 60s references/Americana... but I do think that Lana has approached this theme before with much more positive/beautiful results. LDRakaLG is a great example of how the Americana themes and "pretty lyrics" can marry a much simpler songwriting style and have the outcome be something incredibly beautiful, more beautiful than Born to Die. This is the Lana I fell in love with, and will probably always be in love with. <3 LDRakaLG is just so beautiful and sincere and ...not contrived. How someone can listen to Oh Say Can You See and Raise Me Up and believe the lyrics aren't as good as those on Born to Die is beyond me! O _ O

So, you can imagine that after having heard Body Electric the first time, I was so, so disappointed. I still am. I think the music is beautiful, but the lyrics really aren't. I was going to type something like, "Lana's becoming a caricature of herself", but I realize now that she already is. :\ I know that this song is on a re-release, so the new songs will be in the same vein of those on Born to Die. I've accepted that whatever new songs will be similar, as disappointing as it is. So instead of bitching and moaning about how the lyrical content on the re-release is horrible, I'll be looking forward to her next effort and hoping that unlike the time between LDRakaLG and Born to Die, she grows as a songwriter. And instead of complaining and writing long-winded rants on forums, I'll appreciate Born to Die for what it is -- just one "phase" in what will hopefully be long-lasting career -- and a phase that is necessary and on route to Lana's future definitive masterpiece.

I'm not at all a fan of (most of) the lyrics in Born to Die. Lyrically, the best song on the album is Video Games. I think most fans choose something like Off to the Races or National Anthem, because of the quick succession of references/"pretty lyrics". That's probably what I dislike most about the lyrical content of the album -- most of lines seem "tumblr-ready" to be made into edits with muted colors and the lyrics in Helvetica transcribed on top.

I'm not sure what Lana's writing-process is like -- she's spoken about it a few times, but has never gone into great detail -- but her lyrics make me think that she thinks of "pretty" lines/phrases/couplets first and foremost, and then strings them together. Something along the lines of, "Oh, I like the lines "soul as sweet as blood-red jam" and "every inch of my tar-black soul", how can I incorporate these into a song?" I think many songwriters use a similar technique, but it just seems like the entirety of most of her songs were written like this. (Again, I admit that I don't know her writing-process and this very well may not be the case). When I listen to a song like Video Games, I don't have the same thought. It strikes me as a very organic song to write, very natural and just... sincere.

Sure, the lyrics are simple, but I like the simplicity. You don't need to be trying to cram in every pretty phrase/60s reference/hip-hop slang into every damn line you write! I'd like to state that I don't inherently hate 60s references/Americana... but I do think that Lana has approached this theme before with much more positive/beautiful results. LDRakaLG is a great example of how the Americana themes and "pretty lyrics" can marry a much simpler songwriting style and have the outcome be something incredibly beautiful, more beautiful than Born to Die. This is the Lana I fell in love with, and will probably always be in love with. <3 LDRakaLG is just so beautiful and sincere and ...not contrived. How someone can listen to Oh Say Can You See and Raise Me Up and believe the lyrics aren't as good as those on Born to Die is beyond me! O _ O

So, you can imagine that after having heard Body Electric the first time, I was so, so disappointed. I still am. I think the music is beautiful, but the lyrics really aren't. I was going to type something like, "Lana's becoming a caricature of herself", but I realize now that she already is. :\ I know that this song is on a re-release, so the new songs will be in the same vein of those on Born to Die. I've accepted that whatever new songs will be similar, as disappointing as it is. So instead of bitching and moaning about how the lyrical content on the re-release is horrible, I'll be looking forward to her next effort and hoping that unlike the time between LDRakaLG and Born to Die, she grows as a songwriter. And instead of complaining and writing long-winded rants on forums, I'll appreciate Born to Die for what it is -- just one "phase" in what will hopefully be long-lasting career -- and a phase that is necessary and on route to Lana's future definitive masterpiece.

AMEN.

Lana.pngAngel-Headed Hipster

I tend to listen to remixes/mashups more than BTD (album) itself.

I don't like it that Lana is changing, I'd wish she'd go back to Lizzy Grant style, she has the fame and people will take her seriously, and it will NOT flop

I don't like the fact that she tries so hard to be elusive about her past discography, she's missing out on a big money making trick by doing that.

I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but has Lana got some sort of mental er condition? I'm not saying she's 'special' or anything at all, but it's just I have a few and she seems to have a lot of the same kind of things I do...and I'm not being mean at all - I just don't know how to phrase it. Because it sounds like she has really bad anxiety which I have, and I know what she means with the whole just falling down from it and everything.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest Chloe

I don't like the fact that she tries so hard to be elusive about her past discography, she's missing out on a big money making trick by doing that.

I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but has Lana got some sort of mental er condition? I'm not saying she's 'special' or anything at all, but it's just I have a few and she seems to have a lot of the same kind of things I do...and I'm not being mean at all - I just don't know how to phrase it. Because it sounds like she has really bad anxiety which I have, and I know what she means with the whole just falling down from it and everything.

She acts a bit aspergersy sometimes..

Oops, opened a can of worms. Y'all are prudes. Why can't you be sexual and pro-female?

She will never write another song as good as "Get Drunk" or "Disco" as long as she's focused on being this deep-voiced, overproduced retro queen with purty lyrical phrasing :oprah:

Guest MissDaytona

Oops, opened a can of worms. Y'all are prudes. Why can't you be sexual and pro-female?

She will never write another song as good as "Get Drunk" or "Disco" as long as she's focused on being this deep-voiced, overproduced retro queen with purty lyrical phrasing :oprah:

That's not the issue [2] Nudity is cool [2]

Guest Chloe

That's not the problem

i don't like the work she's had done...i don't know if it's the nose or the lips, but there is something off about her face, i can't exactly pin-point what. especially when you compare her to her luminous, fresh-faced lizzy days. lizzy was such a natural beauty. :unsure:

Guest Chloe

To be honest, I think Lana looks old, much older than her age. When I met her she was beautiful, but had quite a mumsy look about her.. I can't describe it

also, and this was discussed on lanadelrey.fm (it never ocurred to me that the forum would be down forever and obviously never saved my posts ), i have to join in being displeased with her sometimes shallow and un-feminist lyrics. i know she's stated that it's because she has to take charge of her life and is always in control, therefore wants a man that can assume that power so she can be the archetypal femme again. i get that and lord knows i've felt that way before! but at the same time, you guys made a good point...where do you draw the line between ironic or sardonic and just face-value superficial? i agree with maru that i long for the sincere, heartfelt, authentically quirky days of lizzy grant. sitarhero is right, i don't think lana would ever record something so austere yet powerful as "disco" nowadays :(

To be honest, I think Lana looks old, much older than her age. When I met her she was beautiful, but had quite a mumsy look about her.. I can't describe it

i agree. she looks older, apart from the fact that in so many interviews she's said, for example, that she did community outreach for ten years, that she recorded "a star for nick" when she was 17 (which would have been in 2002, 10 years ago if she was born in 1985), also that she stopped drinking 7 years ago. not to mention that ASAP rocky said she looks good for someone in her late thirties! :lol: but beyond ASAP's possibly marihuana-clouded vision, really, sometimes the math just doesn't add up! that's where all the being vague about her past (which i say she should be proud of, at least from a creative output point of view) and denying or hiding things that have later come out and proven to be true makes things murky. but still, her beyond her years appearance could be that she has lived through so much and is world weary. but anyway, whatever her age, she is wonderful and a beautiful soul (i don't want any of these comments to be misinterpreted as not loving lizzy/lana - if i didn't i wouldn't be here! :wub: )

Guest Chloe

I guess after being a drug / alcohol addict for a while it does affect your face.. yeah i don't know about the whole timeline of lana.. some stuff doesn't add up

I completely agree with you guys.

She changed so much from 2007-08 to 2010! She used to craft such beautiful songs just with the help of sincere lyrics and her guitar, sometimes drums and bass. Then she went all pop and apparently more focused on whether the song was catchy enough for it to be a part of BTD. Why Lana?

:derpna2:

When you and Lana are together in your photo

Yeah in the pic of you and lana she does look older, but her hair is amazing and her face omg