Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Guest Chloe

When you and Lana are together in your photo

Yeah in the pic of you and lana she does look older, but her hair is amazing and her face omg

She looked like a mum. She was beautiful but old looking. If I saw her in the street with an 8 year old child it wouldn't seem weird, she looked like she was about 10 years older than she is..

I took these pics: (she looks quite old..)

tumblr_m3bb4a2FZm1rod5s9.jpg

tumblr_m3bb628SLg1rod5s9.jpg

Guest MissDaytona

Gurl needs to whiten her teeth. I noticed in the NA vid her front teeth were discolored. Coffee and cigs smh

I’m happy that the topics that came up with the GQ shoot are still being discussed and have now spilled into another thread; it's important and it's nice to see it being discussed. I agree with whoever said that everyone should be a feminist. Why in the world not? What single good reason is there not to be?

Anyway...about the topic of this thread:

As some of you may remember, i really hate the National Anthem video.

I like the Blue Jeans video much more than the Born to Die video.

TIWMUG is my least favorite song on the record.

I have no interest in Damn You, it’s a weak song with bad production and i think it’s been singled out as such a coveted song because that’s what previews do--they whet the appetite and make anything more appealing. I think there's a need to fill in the gaps and a desire to grab hold of the dangling carrot. That song stinks.

I think Lana can be incredibly cheesy and i love it. I also enjoy all of her paradoxes. I actually love that she has terrible songs sitting right alongside amazing ones.

I often wonder if she’s mentally unstable. She seems a bit off.

I don't know if this is an unpopular view or not, but she's weird, genuinely weird. Not Lady Gaga/Marilyn Manson weird, which isn't weird in the slightest. That said, what the hell does it even mean to be weird anyway? But yeah, she's a weirdo.

There are a few interviews in which i cringe because she comes across pretty dumb. I think she plays that up though and uses that as a sort of tool to be evasive.

I wonder why people--if they’re interested in this sort of thing--almost never bring up her nose job and instead focus on her lips. Anyway, discussion about her lips and nose is boring.

That's it for now.

P.S. ednafrau, it’s nice to see you again!

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I’m happy that the topics that came up with the GQ shoot are still being discussed and have now spilled into another thread; it's important and it's nice to see it being discussed. I agree with whoever said that everyone should be a feminist. Why in the world not? What single good reason is there not to be?

Anyway...about the topic of this thread:

I also enjoy all of her paradoxes. I actually love that she has terrible songs sitting right alongside amazing ones.

I often wonder if she’s mentally unstable. She seems a bit off.

I don't know if this is an unpopular view or not, but she's weird, genuinely weird. Not Lady Gaga/Marilyn Manson weird, which isn't weird in the slightest. That said, what the hell does it even mean to be weird anyway? But yeah, she's a weirdo.

There are a few interviews in which i cringe because she comes across pretty dumb. I think she plays that up though and uses that as a sort of tool to be evasive.

I wonder why people--if they’re interested in this sort of thing--almost never bring up her nose job and instead focus on her lips. Anyway, discussion about her lips and nose is boring.

That's it for now.

P.S. ednafrau, it’s nice to see you again!

likewise, Monicker! :D i missed your eloquent, thought-provoking views on everything! so glad this board was created ♥

i totally agree that she's a true weirdo and i love it! i just hope she is able to continue expressing and sharing her strange eccentricity as freely as possible, although i kind of doubt that it'll ever be the same as when she didn't have a big audience hanging on her every word and watching her every move. i'm still curious to see her evolution...after the born to die paradise edition, a phase in her life will be over. what'll follow is a mystery i'm looking forward to :)

Oh, i thought of another one: I like the chorus effect (it's not Auto-Tune and frankly sounds nothing like it) on the vocals of Birds of a Feather.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I don't care what she looks like, I don't think she has had a nose job. But of course, a lot of pictures you see are edited. Like she has a bum chin (nothing wrong with that, I have one too.) but then in some pictures they blur it out and stuff. I've never noticed her teeth either? It's natural to not have dazzling white teeth anyway, so she doesn't 'need to whiten her teeth' because it's up to her. Regardless of that, I love most things she has done as Lana and I don't like a lot of the things she did as Lizzy. I think she looks phenomenal whether she's Lana, Lizzy, May Jailer, Sparkle Jump Rope Queen or whoever else. Oh and I also think she looks her age. I know a lot of 26/27 year olds that look older when they haven't even had substance abuse.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest Chloe

Also, I'm not going to say anything about Lana's looks because I don't know about anyone else here, I'm certainly not a supermodel lol.

Hahaha, me neither

She acts a bit aspergersy sometimes..

A lot of people do. For women, it often manifests as something called Intense World Syndrome. Usually IWS makes people want to avoid intense situations (because they are overwhelmed sooner/more easily), but sometimes it expresses itself in thrill-seeking behavior. Or so I've read. I don't think this discussion is mean at all; I think it's exciting that our society is becoming more open about these things, and learning more about what diverse issues different people cope with every day.

also, and this was discussed on lanadelrey.fm (it never ocurred to me that the forum would be down forever and obviously never saved my posts ), i have to join in being displeased with her sometimes shallow and un-feminist lyrics. i know she's stated that it's because she has to take charge of her life and is always in control, therefore wants a man that can assume that power so she can be the archetypal femme again. i get that and lord knows i've felt that way before! but at the same time, you guys made a good point...where do you draw the line between ironic or sardonic and just face-value superficial? i agree with maru that i long for the sincere, heartfelt, authentically quirky days of lizzy grant. sitarhero is right, i don't think lana would ever record something so austere yet powerful as "disco" nowadays :(

Her "un-feminist" lyrics don't strike me as superficial, but rather complex. Sometimes our culture oversells Power Feminism (IMO, like women aren't allowed to have human needs/weaknesses/failings because at this point in history we have to "represent"), and I see Lana's strong perspective of apparent submissiveness as partly in reaction to that -- a stand for individuality. Yet, I also see her sometimes-submissive demeanor as apparent, an act. Not only because it's fun to role-play, but also to some degree because one effective way to subvert a patriarchal mindset is to infiltrate it and bring about change from within. (I may be projecting this, though, based on my own life story. It resonates so much with me.) For example, I see the video for PMIAM, more than the song, as participating in sexual "exploitation" to regain a sense of personal agency, while at the same time protesting it by interspersing clips of a man being taken away in handcuffs. And again, I may be projecting, but I imagine that she could be doing a similar thing in OTTR, to an extent, though perhaps with more participation and less apparent protest.

So anyway, that's what I mean when I say I think Lana subverts both the patriarchy and Power Feminism :)

She looked like a mum. She was beautiful but old looking. If I saw her in the street with an 8 year old child it wouldn't seem weird, she looked like she was about 10 years older than she is..

I took these pics: (she looks quite old..)

tumblr_m3bb628SLg1rod5s9.jpg

Hard living (drugs, thrill-seeking, possible cosmetic surgery) can definitely take a toll. But things like heavy makeup and lack of sleep will temporarily age a person as well. Check out recent airport candids; I think she looks more fresh-faced in them. Also, look at these photos from the Tartan Clef Awards last year -- she's the same Lizzy she always was!

http://lanadelreyonline.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=29&pid=103#top_display_media

http://lanadelreyonline.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=29&pid=106#top_display_media

THIS. I am both an egalitarian and a feminist. (I even occasionally call myself a "masculinist," to what I hope is a healthy and beneficial extent, though I don't tend to focus on it as much.) My life has taken me from a casual feminism through patriarchalism into a fierce egalitarianism that seeks to promote and protect women and girls, men and boys, and those who don't quite feel they fit into those categories. But I am uncomfortable with both Power Feminism and Victim Feminism, and I'm seeking a happy medium, though I don't quite know what to call it yet. (I'm toying with "Shalom Feminism." Might be too obscure.) I believe it is the responsibility of each one of us to see, support, and promote the dignity in every human being, whether or not they make it easy for us.

The GQ cover and the boob-groping pic are SO NOT egalitarian, it's ridiculous. Yet it is a human perspective. :shrug: I don't like it.

i totally agree that she's a true weirdo and i love it! i just hope she is able to continue expressing and sharing her strange eccentricity as freely as possible, although i kind of doubt that it'll ever be the same as when she didn't have a big audience hanging on her every word and watching her every move. i'm still curious to see her evolution...after the born to die paradise edition, a phase in her life will be over. what'll follow is a mystery i'm looking forward to :)

THIS too. I love her so much. Love you guys too. :wub:

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I think Video Games, Blue Jeans, and Born To Die are sooo overrated

BTD is my favourite out of the 3, but I really do think VG is overrated. I'd even call it a weaker track on the album, things like 'Carmen' in my opinion are better.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest Chloe

BTD is my favourite out of the 3, but I really do think VG is overrated. I'd even call it a weaker track on the album, things like 'Carmen' in my opinion are better.

My worst song is Blue Jeans, to be honest I kind of hate it..