Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

A lot of people do. For women, it often manifests as something called Intense World Syndrome. Usually IWS makes people want to avoid intense situations (because they are overwhelmed sooner/more easily), but sometimes it expresses itself in thrill-seeking behavior. Or so I've read. I don't think this discussion is mean at all; I think it's exciting that our society is becoming more open about these things, and learning more about what diverse issues different people cope with every day.

Her "un-feminist" lyrics don't strike me as superficial, but rather complex. Sometimes our culture oversells Power Feminism (IMO, like women aren't allowed to have human needs/weaknesses/failings because at this point in history we have to "represent"), and I see Lana's strong perspective of apparent submissiveness as partly in reaction to that -- a stand for individuality. Yet, I also see her sometimes-submissive demeanor as apparent, an act. Not only because it's fun to role-play, but also to some degree because one effective way to subvert a patriarchal mindset is to infiltrate it and bring about change from within. (I may be projecting this, though, based on my own life story. It resonates so much with me.) For example, I see the video for PMIAM, more than the song, as participating in sexual "exploitation" to regain a sense of personal agency, while at the same time protesting it by interspersing clips of a man being taken away in handcuffs. And again, I may be projecting, but I imagine that she could be doing a similar thing in OTTR, to an extent, though perhaps with more participation and less apparent protest.

So anyway, that's what I mean when I say I think Lana subverts both the patriarchy and Power Feminism :)

Hard living (drugs, thrill-seeking, possible cosmetic surgery) can definitely take a toll. But things like heavy makeup and lack of sleep will temporarily age a person as well. Check out recent airport candids; I think she looks more fresh-faced in them. Also, look at these photos from the Tartan Clef Awards last year -- she's the same Lizzy she always was!

http://lanadelreyonl...p_display_media

http://lanadelreyonl...p_display_media

THIS. I am both an egalitarian and a feminist. (I even occasionally call myself a "masculinist," to what I hope is a healthy and beneficial extent, though I don't tend to focus on it as much.) My life has taken me from a casual feminism through patriarchalism into a fierce egalitarianism that seeks to promote and protect women and girls, men and boys, and those who don't quite feel they fit into those categories. But I am uncomfortable with both Power Feminism and Victim Feminism, and I'm seeking a happy medium, though I don't quite know what to call it yet. (I'm toying with "Shalom Feminism." Might be too obscure.) I believe it is the responsibility of each one of us to see, support, and promote the dignity in every human being, whether or not they make it easy for us.

The GQ cover and the boob-groping pic are SO NOT egalitarian, it's ridiculous. Yet it is a human perspective. :shrug: I don't like it.

THIS too. I love her so much. Love you guys too. wub.png

This is why i love reading your posts and why you’ve always been one of my absolute favorite members!

I'd like to add that, despite any perceived simplicity and superficiality, Lana--her persona, her lyrics, the breadth of her recorded output--is complex. I wouldn’t be here right now if i didn’t think that. She's certainly not easy to box in, though journalists seem to love doing just that, while simultaneously singling her out as highly individualistic. What makes her interesting and engaging is that she’s highly idiosyncratic and filled with paradoxes, which she embraces. A lot of her work has an uncomfortable quality to it that can often fill the listener with uncertainty. Lines often get blurred. There’s a vulnerability, a rawness, and ambivalence in the simplicity of a lot of her lyrics and themes. And, you know, she’s flawed. But that’s great--she’s human. Post-feminists and detractors of feminism tend to make the dubious case that women who are seen as feminists should basically be infallible. It’s yet another bogus, flawed, and unrealistic argument aimed at discrediting feminism and oppressing women. Change from within is definitely my stance as well. bell hooks makes that argument a lot. There are clear ties there to the civil rights movement and the progress that came about due to the different “sides” working together. The oppressed obviously need the compliance of the oppressors, it can't just all come from one direction. This is why it’s important not to isolate feminism and designate it as a strictly female mindset/ideology. I also think feminism needs to stop toiling away in academia, but that’s another discussion, though very much related.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Interesting--I've heard things about Lana's age not being quite exact, but never that she physically looks to be in her 30s. I don't see it.

I'll keep the opinions going: Her deep voice is forced as hell, she should drop it. I want to hear "Blue Jeans" sung in her natural AKA voice, so she doesn't sound like she's barking in concert.

Guest Chloe

Interesting--I've heard things about Lana's age not being quite exact, but never that she physically looks to be in her 30s. I don't see it.

I always thought she looked her age, but I was kind of shocked when I met her.. she really did look old. Of course really beautiful, but more like a woman who's got young kids and used to be a model.

I'll keep the opinions going: Her deep voice is forced as hell, she should drop it. I want to hear "Blue Jeans" sung in her natural AKA voice, so she doesn't sound like she's barking in concert.

It seems like she makes her voice lower than it naturally is.. also that Shakira style thing in the second Blue Jeans chorus is so forced!

Guest MissDaytona

Yeah, she even says that she makes her voice deeper and its not her natural voice.. it was in an earlier interview

Agreed -- I've yet to find a live version of "Blue Jeans" whose line "make my eyes burn" doesn't make me cringe. (The studio version is so perfect, though!)

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Yeah, she even says that she makes her voice deeper and its not her natural voice.. it was in an earlier interview

I remember that interview, I kinda of assumed she meant going from her sweet, angelic Sirens voice to her Lizzy Grant-era voice, but it just seems to keep getting deeper as time goes on. With the help of a studio or intimate setting, it's convincing, but live she really goes for those LOW notes and it sounds more like a groan. That isn't to say she can't sing well with this style--Goodbye Kiss, for instance--but she shouldn't push it to the extremes as much as she does.

LMAO at the flying fajita! :D

now, precisely because i agree with you that a musician's looks shouldn't really matter - especially when you've got the beautiful voice and the songwriting talent lizzy grant has - is that it kind of irks me that she felt the need to alter her looks to be successful - which, since it worked, tells you a lot about how music is consumed in this era. btw, i am fully aware that she created lana del rey as an artistic persona/project, i mean that i think it's unfair that she didn't recieve recognition just being her wonderful, unique, non-gimmicky self - although maybe it's just because the world wasn't ready for her. timing is everything in life :/

That's true, I mean if she came on to the music scene as Lizzy Grant now she'd probably be a lot more successful. You're totally right, the music industry is more about timing and luck than talent a lot of the time.

4r9w86.jpg

I think Lana's too skinny, from a health standpoint. That's the main reason I'm hoping she's not into modeling long-term, actually. Girl's gotta eat.

Judging from pictures, I'm about the same size as her but I'm a bit more busty and I'm at an average weight. But then again, she's a grown woman so maybe it isn't healthy on her.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest Chloe

I think Lana's too skinny, from a health standpoint. That's the main reason I'm hoping she's not into modeling long-term, actually. Girl's gotta eat.

Same, I think she'd look even better if she was a bit fatter..

Yeah, it does seem a bit forced. I mean, obviously her voice would've matured a little since her younger Lizzy days but she sometimes sounds a little like she's in pain when singing live.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

Lucky Ones is the most underrated song in BTD.

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

That's what I'm thinking. :( Now granted, she's gorgeous, and in a lot better shape than I am. But extremes usually are not good when it comes to weight.

i think she always looks good, but you can see that years ago, in her early days performing as lizzy grant, she wasn't as thin as she is now, even though she states in current interviews that every day she has spaghetti and cake for dinner. but do you guys remember that interview from 2010? check around 1:27, where she says that she drinks a lot of coffee and usually just does her lemonade-maple syrup diet. um...not super healthy :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_h3ayM3Ow

but do you guys remember that interview from 2010? check around 1:27, where she says that she drinks a lot of coffee and usually just does her lemonade-maple syrup diet. um...not super healthy :/

Yeah. Man, I hope that was super-short term.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Guest MissDaytona

A lot of what she has said makes me think she has had an eating disorder.. and that's an ongoing thing. Hopefully she's healthier now.

Also, I'm pretty certain she calls paparazzi (only when she's in Hollywood)..but a lot of celebrities do that.

That's what I'm thinking. :( Now granted, she's gorgeous, and in a lot better shape than I am. But extremes usually are not good when it comes to weight.

Lana's also probably taller than me so I don't know lol. But I don't think she looks /too/ skinny, I think she does like just about okay, but maybe she could do with a bit more meat on her bones.

4r9w86.jpg