Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Guest Dot

I like the this is what makes us girls demo 2 better than the original. It couldve been a great single 

Both demo version are better than what ended up as the final version! :defeated:

I like the this is what makes us girls demo 2 better than the original. It couldve been a great single

This is so true. That version is one of her best recordings :oprah:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I think Born to Die is repetitive and that Emile stripped away her charm and diversity for the sake of his "fresh" hip-hop spin. Her work pre and post is much better.

You might want to consider that "Born To Die" has sold millions of copies and made her famous around the world, while the rest of her music didn't sell at all.  That said, I would love to see her in concert singing all of the songs that didn't sell or were never released, songs like that killer live version of "You Can Be The Boss" on Youtube she sings with blonde hair and the New York accent.

Yes, of course! I think that the album version is overrated, it's one of my least favourite on the album because it's too plain. But I love both demos more and I think she should've done a faster version, and based it more on demo 2. It's that bit at the end (particually on the first demo) 'this is what makes us girls now baby, it's why we rule the now baby oh, baby oh...' - that kills me.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

You might want to consider that "Born To Die" has sold millions of copies and made her famous around the world, while the rest of her music didn't sell at all.  That said, I would love to see her in concert singing all of the songs that didn't sell or were never released, songs like that killer live version of "You Can Be The Boss" on Youtube she sings with blonde hair and the New York accent.

Sales =/= Quality

Gangnam Style and Call Me Maybe are the two biggest-selling singles of this century and I don't think anyone with eardrums would consider them quality.

Had she kept the original versions of songs like Radio, Lolita, and Summertime Sadness, the album would have sold just as well or even better.

Emile did great work on some pieces like Blue Jeans, National Anthem, and Born to Die, but having him re-do every song made the album repetitive and when you hear the Rick James sample every 8 bars and the auto-tuned loon every 32 for an hour straight, it becomes tiresome.

tumblr_mjtygmUvm11rtm6dso1_500.png

Guest Dot

Ooh Baby might be a top 10 song for me if I'm really being honest with myself.

I LIVE for Ooh Baby!!!

:crying:

I'm on page 28 of this gargantuan thread. Dear Lord.

I'm not at all a fan of (most of) the lyrics in Born to Die. Lyrically, the best song on the album is Video Games. I think most fans choose something like Off to the Races or National Anthem, because of the quick succession of references/"pretty lyrics". That's probably what I dislike most about the lyrical content of the album -- most of lines seem "tumblr-ready" to be made into edits with muted colors and the lyrics in Helvetica transcribed on top.

I'm not sure what Lana's writing-process is like -- she's spoken about it a few times, but has never gone into great detail -- but her lyrics make me think that she thinks of "pretty" lines/phrases/couplets first and foremost, and then strings them together. Something along the lines of, "Oh, I like the lines "soul as sweet as blood-red jam" and "every inch of my tar-black soul", how can I incorporate these into a song?" I think many songwriters use a similar technique, but it just seems like the entirety of most of her songs were written like this. (Again, I admit that I don't know her writing-process and this very well may not be the case). When I listen to a song like Video Games, I don't have the same thought. It strikes me as a very organic song to write, very natural and just... sincere.

Sure, the lyrics are simple, but I like the simplicity. You don't need to be trying to cram in every pretty phrase/60s reference/hip-hop slang into every damn line you write! I'd like to state that I don't inherently hate 60s references/Americana... but I do think that Lana has approached this theme before with much more positive/beautiful results. LDRakaLG is a great example of how the Americana themes and "pretty lyrics" can marry a much simpler songwriting style and have the outcome be something incredibly beautiful, more beautiful than Born to Die. This is the Lana I fell in love with, and will probably always be in love with. <3 LDRakaLG is just so beautiful and sincere and ...not contrived. How someone can listen to Oh Say Can You See and Raise Me Up and believe the lyrics aren't as good as those on Born to Die is beyond me! O _ O

So, you can imagine that after having heard Body Electric the first time, I was so, so disappointed. I still am. I think the music is beautiful, but the lyrics really aren't. I was going to type something like, "Lana's becoming a caricature of herself", but I realize now that she already is. :\ I know that this song is on a re-release, so the new songs will be in the same vein of those on Born to Die. I've accepted that whatever new songs will be similar, as disappointing as it is. So instead of bitching and moaning about how the lyrical content on the re-release is horrible, I'll be looking forward to her next effort and hoping that unlike the time between LDRakaLG and Born to Die, she grows as a songwriter. And instead of complaining and writing long-winded rants on forums, I'll appreciate Born to Die for what it is -- just one "phase" in what will hopefully be long-lasting career -- and a phase that is necessary and on route to Lana's future definitive masterpiece.

Yes! A lot of times her lyrics feel like stringing together a bunch of pretty phrases that don't come together to make anything bigger. It reminds me of something that a classical composer once said about "inspiration," and that was something along the lines of too many composers rely on inspiration and make pretty things, but stringing a bunch of these together does not a great piece make. There needs to be development and you have to work on it, etc.

i think million dollar man was the best thing that came out of BtD,
i hate "lucky ones" (sorry)
i don't think she'll write songs as perfect as her old ones once she settles down, (happy for her regardless)
in a hypocritical way, i wish she still lived that eccentric lifestyle so she would write songs like get drunk and go go dancer and all that.

Pick a sassy gif of your choice to insert here. Lucky Ones is beautiful.

I do agree that once she settles down, she'll probably "put love first" and not really make interesting music, but she's not unique in this way.

I like the songs, but I just can't get into the album because of the acoustic guitar.
All the songs just sound the same to me.

There is some great songwriting on Sirens but sometimes I can't tell where one songs ends and another begins. A shame.

i bloody love maha maha, come when you call me, catch and release and i don't wanna go.

i think the album born to die is absolute perfection, i wouldn't change anything about it. it's the sound that got me into lana, it's dark, cinematic and moody, i love it. i much prefer it to wannabe-rap stuff like 'hundred dollar bill'. 

i think her lana del rey look is perfect. it fits her music, it fits her vintage appeal, it's better than damaged bleach blonde hair.

i think paradise is just as good as born to die, i actually really love the new yayo. the only track i could live without is bel air. 

4r9w86.jpg