Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

how?

Well, it's a narrative about a poor faithful boy who dindu nufin wrong and who loves his girl even though she's a slut fucking a whole town.

It ends with said protagonist deciding he is better off fapping on his own and considering murdering his significant other for being evil. Because apparently being unfaithful is worse than being a murderer lmfao. 

It's like an incel wrote a story about how a typical relationship goes according to the wisdom of 4chan. It's a typical male narrative about how women are evil slut and how it justifies murder. There is a lot of such crap on the internet and in media, if you learn to recognize it it's hard not to see it.

I was not suprised to see Sublime had a song about date rape tbh with the author having the below to say about it:

“I’ve never raped anyone as far as I can remember. We were at a party a long time ago and we were all talking about how bad date rape was. This guy was like, ‘Date rape isn’t so bad- if it wasn’t for date rape, I’d never get laid.’ Everyone at the party was bummed out about it, but I was cracking up and I wrote a funny song about it.”

Wow, imagine having to state that you have never date raped anyone.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I get that women can be shit to others as well. Doesn't change the fact that those Sublime lyrics are peak incelcore. 

i am nothing and should be everything

Till this date, I still have difficulty in listening to Get Free. I know it's a happy song, but it makes so damn emotional  :poordat: and then this puta puts that Lizzy feat there  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat: How am I left? That's right: ugly crying on the floor  :cryney:

"Out of the blaaaack  :blush3:  

(OUT OF THE BLACK!) :hae:

Into the blueeeee :blush3:

(INTO THE BLUE!) :hae: "

Ugggghhhh  :icant:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

Till this date, I still have difficulty in listening to Get Free. I know it's a happy song, but it makes so damn emotional  :poordat: and then this puta puts that Lizzy feat there  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat: How am I left? That's right: ugly crying on the floor  :cryney:

I love that song "Get Free", its soooo emotional, but it gives me such good vibes. 

I don´t know why (?)   I just like it.

I must see a doctor about this problem     :facepalm:  

-

The UV era always kinda reminded me of Twilight. Lana’s whole look that era always made me think of Bella Swan, and the whole hazy washed out aesthetic of the photoshoots and videos always reminded me of the aesthetic the Twilight films had. Even the album’s themes itself itself kinda reminded me of Twilight. Sorry if this is controversial, I know Twilight is kinda polarizing.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

what lizzy feat.?

May Jailer era is Lana's most mature and intelligent work despite being her earliest

100% agree

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

I'm a grad student who has been a Lana fan ever since late 2011-early 2012 (I don't remember the exact date but it was BEFORE the January 2012 SNL thing everyone had a popcorn party with, so I am pretty sure I was a Lana fan since I saw her "unreleased" music on YouTube in 2011) ...my unpopular opinion is that a lot of it is a myth or construct grounded in her personal experience. I've read articles or theses of other people who graduated with a Master's in Lana Del Rey (actually Women's Studies, or Sociology or something) and I agreed with what they were saying, though I am actually focused in environmental science and anthropology.

1) Lana is embodying different feminine characters, or different manifestations of Goddess, so it's not always necessarily "her."

2) Lana's running commentary on America, men, hetero-normativity, and pop culture is an inner conflict (part of the "war in" her "mind") I am a firm believer some of her songs are ironic or outsider perspectives on American ideals or heteronormative ideals. An example of this is that the NFR cover is ridiculous. The man in it is objectified as a person staring off in the distance, as she vaguely holds his waist, but reaches for you. 

3) I have never believed that she is actually straight. I think this is fool's errand. She's not lesbian, but she's something like bisexual or pansexual, evidenced by videos like Summertime Sadness, photos of her kissing women, and a kind of sharp irony towards heteronormativity that makes LGBTQ fans quite comfortable, including numerous young gay men who came out with Lana's "support" through her music. Because she is also queer in some way. Duh.

4) I'm pretty sure I have more to say about this (I could write my own dissertation) but I want to impress you with how SMART she is...some of the references she makes are to classic literature or philosophy, and her openness, that exciting lack of boundaries she has, that authenticity, is countered by an intellectualism where she's not just putting on a show for you, but she's telling you stories about the culture you live in or grew up in, and she's doing it in a detached way that has little to do with her personal life. 

I think I am one of the few people that still want that Machine Gun Kelly and Lana feature. I like some of his music and Lana is my favourite artist and I'm curious how this song sounds( I know we have snippet but it is to short for me)

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

I think I am one of the few people that still want that Machine Gun Kelly and Lana feature. I like some of his music and Lana is my favourite artist and I'm curious how this song sounds( I know we have snippet but it is to short for me)

Same. It would smash

As would whatever she did with Jesse Rutherford. I want all of her collabs to surface. Even the other two demos with A$AP Rocky because why not, it would be fun  :teehee:

what lizzy feat.?

100% agree

Sorry for the late reply. It's the "Out of the black", "Into the blue" parts I'm referring to. Someone here pointed that out once and it just got stuck in my head.  :flutter:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

NFR is her worst title track

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

LFL says hi

NFR says "goddamn, manchild, you fucked me so good that I almost said I love you"

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I'm a grad student who has been a Lana fan ever since late 2011-early 2012 (I don't remember the exact date but it was BEFORE the January 2012 SNL thing everyone had a popcorn party with, so I am pretty sure I was a Lana fan since I saw her "unreleased" music on YouTube in 2011) ...my unpopular opinion is that a lot of it is a myth or construct grounded in her personal experience. I've read articles or theses of other people who graduated with a Master's in Lana Del Rey (actually Women's Studies, or Sociology or something) and I agreed with what they were saying, though I am actually focused in environmental science and anthropology.

1) Lana is embodying different feminine characters, or different manifestations of Goddess, so it's not always necessarily "her."

2) Lana's running commentary on America, men, hetero-normativity, and pop culture is an inner conflict (part of the "war in" her "mind") I am a firm believer some of her songs are ironic or outsider perspectives on American ideals or heteronormative ideals. An example of this is that the NFR cover is ridiculous. The man in it is objectified as a person staring off in the distance, as she vaguely holds his waist, but reaches for you. 

3) I have never believed that she is actually straight. I think this is fool's errand. She's not lesbian, but she's something like bisexual or pansexual, evidenced by videos like Summertime Sadness, photos of her kissing women, and a kind of sharp irony towards heteronormativity that makes LGBTQ fans quite comfortable, including numerous young gay men who came out with Lana's "support" through her music. Because she is also queer in some way. Duh.

4) I'm pretty sure I have more to say about this (I could write my own dissertation) but I want to impress you with how SMART she is...some of the references she makes are to classic literature or philosophy, and her openness, that exciting lack of boundaries she has, that authenticity, is countered by an intellectualism where she's not just putting on a show for you, but she's telling you stories about the culture you live in or grew up in, and she's doing it in a detached way that has little to do with her personal life. 

this was very interesting to read, I'd love to hear more about it.

giphy.gif

i think you're giving her way too much credit. i think at times she subconsciously instills themes like that into her songs, but i think mostly she loves romanticizing American culture, but also showing the dark side of it. i mean, the girl expressed how america suddenly "turned bad", even though america was always shit, but as a white woman who was born rich, of course she thinks this

and those photos where she's kissing a girl...that girl is her sister

On 3/19/2020 at 4:58 AM, BeckoningCat said:

I think a lot of her stuff isn't ironic, she actually romanticizes that stuff.

I do believe that she is straight, but I obviously don't know. In the Summertime Sadness video she is portraying a character, it isn't necessarily based on her life or feelings. She also shot a video where she was getting married, but from our knowledge, she is just playing a character. 

About her "commentary", should we really be calling it that? most of her lyrics and visual storytelling reinforce stereotypical gender roles. Also, where is this sharp irony towards heteronormativity that you speak of? the photo of her kissing a girl was her kissing her sister for a project. And many of her gay and queer fans are uncomfortable with the fact the she attends an anti-LGBTQ pro-conversion therapy megachurch. 

"I want to impress you with how SMART she is...some of the references she makes are to classic literature or philosophy.” reading a book is not the same as understanding a book. people can quote Whitman and Burgess all they want, but it does not mean they understand. 

i feel like your "take" wasn't very thorough, but you have no requirement to be i guess. i just feel like a lot of people would disagree with what you've said.

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189