Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I am going to be brutally dragged for this, possibly even outcast and banned from ever returning to LanaBoards again, but here goes...

I find California to be one of Lana's most contrived, low effort, cringe-worthy and boring songs. After some time it's finally listenable to me, and hell I can even enjoy it on occasion if I'm in the mood to ignore the lyrics, but yeah, I just think it's bad.

I actually find some of the fanbase's most hated or ignored songs way more enjoyable than California.

Summer Bummer > California

Beautiful People Beautiful Problems > California

When The World Was At War > California

American > California

Paradise Edition Yayo > California

I could go on but I'm gonna save myself  :hoe:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Now that the novelty factor has had plenty of time to wore off, I can definitely call NFR my least favourite (and least played) Lana record. It still has its great moments, but I'm just not as astonished by its perfection as I was with BTD/UV/HM. There's just... nothing pulling me back to listen for more. No sonic universe to immerse myself in. The production is flat and lifeless at times. Her vocals are half-assed.

Honestly, her last great album was Honeymoon.

Edit: Also, Bartender is the best song on NFR.

I am going to be brutally dragged for this, possibly even outcast and banned from ever returning to LanaBoards again, but here goes...

I find California to be one of Lana's most contrived, low effort, cringe-worthy and boring songs. After some time it's finally listenable to me, and hell I can even enjoy it on occasion if I'm in the mood to ignore the lyrics, but yeah, I just think it's bad.

I actually find some of the fanbase's most hated or ignored songs way more enjoyable than California.

American > California

I actually don't dislike California (it's definitely a rather weak song though, essentially Lana in autopilot mode), but the songs you listed are all easily better than it; especially World At War, I think that one's terribly underrated among the fans.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Now that the novelty factor has had plenty of time to wore off, I can definitely call NFR my least favourite (and least played) Lana record. It still has its great moments, but I'm just not as astonished by its perfection as I was with BTD/UV/HM. There's just... nothing pulling me back to listen for more. No sonic universe to immerse myself in. The production is flat and lifeless at times. Her vocals are half-assed.

Honestly, her last great album was Honeymoon.

Edit: Also, Bartender is the best song on NFR.

I honestly tried to pin point something specific that resonated with me the most in your comment, but everything on here is valid af.

The Lana most of us knew and fell in love with peaked at Honeymoon. Everything after that has been for the most part half-assed, generic and especially low effort (even by her so called standards). I honestly hope she pulls something great and Lana-esque on COCC. I'm honestly genuinely excited for this upcoming album, but judging by Lana's track record (and also current collaborator) I feel like it's foreshadowing yet again a lazy, flat, self-important, pseudo-introspective and beige album.

I can't stand when fans try to make sense of this laziness by saying that she matured and that things sound the way she wanted them to. Like, it's great that she matured and doesn't feel like exploring similar themes lyrically. However, if that's how she really wanted her music to sound like, it honestly sucks for her because this is genuinely uninteresting and subpar for the most part, very middle-of-the-road.

Anyway.

On that note:

Femme fatale/rock-y/mysterious songstress Lana >>>>>>>> Vagabond poet from the Canyon/Soccer mom/Instabaddie addicted to matcha tea Lana

I actually don't dislike California (it's definitely a rather weak song though, essentially Lana in autopilot mode), but the songs you listed are all easily better than it; especially World At War, I think that one's terribly underrated among the fans.

I'm surprised (but relieved) it's not just me that feels this way!

period!

but they're not ready for this conversation!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

American > California

Yes all of those songs are better than California. But California is still in the better half of NFR lol .

But it's obvious Lana doesn't think so. On a Livestream she sounded surprised that so many people were mentioning California. 

I can't stand when fans try to make sense of this laziness by saying that she matured and that things sound the way she wanted them to. Like, it's great that she matured and doesn't feel like exploring similar themes lyrically. However, if that's how she really wanted her music to sound like, it honestly sucks for her because this is genuinely uninteresting and subpar for the most part, very middle-of-the-road.

Exactly. I could never call her LFL and NFR material mature when the message she's trying to get across is still only new to her, and has not matured yet, nor is it even clear to me. She's only beginning, and her maturity is really not evident to me at all yet.

There are a few songs that truly do sound matured, like MAC and 13 Beaches, but that's it, seriously, they don't make up for the rest unfortunately. 

But once again, I put too much faith in her and still hope shell blow me away next album  :cuteface:

idk if i'd wanna watch Lana live if i could. i'd probably go anyways but i see too many of her videos barely singing its like you cant hear her at all and she'll even cover the mic sometimes for the effect or something

also i wish she was never so hung up on the image of being mysterious. back in her lizzy grant days she was much more open about what her songs meant 

I definitely would not go again. It was nice to just go, and it felt pretty unreal to see her onstage even when I was far away, but would not do again, especially if I'm just going to hear the same songs played again with a couple from NFR. 

This post has me realising that what I remember most from the show is actually just the look of the stage and her backup dancers moving around, more than her actual voice and whatever she did :( 

especially World At War, I think that one's terribly underrated among the fans.

I've had World at War on rotation lately, and I have realised that it really is quite good. 

No comments on NFR because it's been discussed to death and I'm bored. Thank God she's (allegedly) releasing COCC soon, because ... 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

American > California

I could go on but I'm gonna save myself :hoe:

Thank you for this. California is one of the worst songs she's ever done. Music is standard and lazy, lyrics are damn terrible, structure and composition are worse than a demo. The only thing that makes it look a bit better is that it's followed by an even worse song as TNBAR is (even if I'm not truly sure which of them is more terrible).

No comments on NFR because it's been discussed to death and I'm bored. Thank God she's (allegedly) releasing COCC soon, because ...

Who doesn't like beating a dead horse? :hooker:

American > California

California is my favorite song off NFR y'all are SICK

Thank you for this. California is one of the worst songs she's ever done. Music is standard and lazy, lyrics are damn terrible, structure and composition are worst than a demo. The only thing that makes it look a bit better is that it's followed by an even worse song as TNBAR is (even if I'm not truly sure which of them is more terrible).

Omg this makes me so sad. Truly a tragedy. 

It's even worse than the reworked Beautiful People followed by TNC on LFL

Omg this makes me so sad. Truly a tragedy. 

It's even worse than the reworked Beautiful People followed by TNC on LFL

Hahaha... Its funny cause I dont dislike none of those songs, but can feel your pain, bro

American > California

its among a lot of other cheesy lyrics on the album. the worst part about NFR is that the lyrics can't be saved by lush and grand instrumentation like on BTD. but anyways yeah California is just lazy sounding like i can imagine her just sitting down and writing the whole thing in one go. it makes me want to unstan her but i still have hope for COCC for some reason

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

I actually love the Honeymoon cover and truly don't understand the hate

The thing with the HM cover for me it's that it feels too empty. There's huge, giant letters at the top and the bottom (on the car) and the middle is just a tiny Lana. On top of that, the sky looks pretty boring. It perfectly reflects the mood of the album (not saying it's boring lol, You know what I mean) but I would've LOVED some other photos from that shoot as the cover 'cause that shoot is amazing, probably one of her best, again, thank you Neil. (of course she chose Chuck's pics  :facepalm:

Or maybe the same concept but with a closer angle and Lana looking down from that stance and the sky takes the majority of the pic with some cool ass cirrocumulus or cirrostratus clouds and with Neil's magic colours that fit Lana so well. 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe***