Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

16 hours ago, JehovahThikness said:

In My Feelings has to be one of the worst songs in her discography lol

Well, you are protected by the "sanctuary" of the Unpopular Opinions cathedral, as am I, of course, but I got to wonder if your post really means the majority of LBers actually loves IMF!

My own thoughts about this song are rather complex. I generally like it a lot as a kind of terrain exploration in her released work that sort of goes into something like RnB. I mean, wouldn't Mary J. Blige have killed for a song like this (wow, that's possibly unpopular)? I also view the song (and here comes a really unpopular part) as the spiritual-Siamese-twin song to Adele's Rolling in the Deep. I mean it sounds like LDR was shooting for that kind of a song, but it came out with a really heavy Lana distortion/perversion to it.

Finally (and perhaps most unpopularly), given her recent interview in Interview Magazine, this may be the most important song in her released discography.

I don't think Lana has ever released a fully conceptual album. Like some fans make 'Honeymoon' or even 'NFR' to be concept albums, but they are not. None of her albums hold a main narrative in their entirety. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's kinda cringy to me when fans say that such or such album is a conceptual one.

I didn’t find Question for the Culture to be controversial at all, I had read it as I would read any other announcement she has made and didn’t think too much about it. It wasn’t until I went online the next day and saw everybody attacking her that I was more aware of the culture she was referring to and I think the public’s reaction and them turning it into a race war just proved the point she was making.

Her listing those women in the admiring way she did was to say “look at these women who sing about the same stuff that I do, but are seen as empowering figures in the feminist community, whereas I am seen as archaic in my beliefs that allegedly set women back hundreds of years.”  I get that fans say they’re “traumatized” by her posting that because it’s never fun to watch someone you care about be berated by the masses, but I think that kind of indirectly trivializes the things that Lana was saying and contributes to the erasure of inclusivity of women in feminism and perpetuates the narrative that women need to adopt traditionally-masculine characteristics in order to be empowering (and by the way, I’m not saying women who adopt those characteristics are doing so on purpose just to fit a standard of feminism, there are so many more factors besides gender that play into why someone is the way they are). Why can’t women just be the way they are, even if that’s more “fragile” as Lana has identified herself to be, and still be empowering?  I admire her ability to come out and say something like this - something that people may not be able to metabolize in times like these. 

3 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I didn’t find Question for the Culture to be controversial at all, I had read it as I would read any other announcement she has made and didn’t think too much about it. It wasn’t until I went online the next day and saw everybody attacking her that I was more aware of the culture she was referring to and I think the public’s reaction and them turning it into a race war just proved the point she was making.

Her listing those women in the admiring way she did was to say “look at these women who sing about the same stuff that I do, but are seen as empowering figures in the feminist community, whereas I am seen as archaic in my beliefs that allegedly set women back hundreds of years.”  I get that fans say they’re “traumatized” by her posting that because it’s never fun to watch someone you care about be berated by the masses, but I think that kind of indirectly trivializes the things that Lana was saying and contributes to the erasure of inclusivity of women in feminism and perpetuates the narrative that women need to adopt traditionally-masculine characteristics in order to be empowering (and by the way, I’m not saying women who adopt those characteristics are doing so on purpose just to fit a standard of feminism, there are so many more factors besides gender that play into why someone is the way they are). Why can’t women just be the way they are, even if that’s more “fragile” as Lana has identified herself to be, and still be empowering?  I admire her ability to come out and say something like this - something that people may not be able to metabolize in times like these. 

second paragraph hits the nail right on the head. you said it perfectly

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

1 hour ago, IanadeIrey said:

Lana received a lot of shit for that "Culture" letter because she basically made it seem that all those black women she named weren't fragile like her because they are black. That's why the black community was pissed. There's a negative stereotype that black women are loudmouth and rough and Lana going on and on about "fragile like me" made it worst. Then she added another black woman into her list ( FKA Twigs) and whined about Twig's pole dancing being referred to as art by the public but when Lana does it she's called a whore. What FKA Twigs does on the pole IS art, what Lana did was nothing but typical boring stripper pole moves. Lana was wrong and should have apologized. Instead she doubled down and made it worse. Lana has/had a lot of black fans. Months later they are still pissed. They sure as hell don't look at that letter she typed as admiration. The thousands of videos lambasting Lana on Youtube about what she said is evidence that people weren't having it. If you still don't get it, ask a black person to explain it to you.

I wonder how this might affect her new album sales. 

Lana should make up those UK tour dates. She has a big following in the UK and I know the fans will come out if she makes up those dates. The cancellation of those dates were too abrupt and it’s not Lana’s fault but I think she should use a new tour promoter that does not have as much red tape. 

22 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Lana received a lot of shit for that "Culture" letter because she basically made it seem that all those black women she named weren't fragile like her because they are black. That's why the black community was pissed. There's a negative stereotype that black women are loudmouth and rough and Lana going on and on about "fragile like me" made it worst. Then she added another black woman into her list ( FKA Twigs) and whined about Twig's pole dancing being referred to as art by the public but when Lana does it she's called a whore. What FKA Twigs does on the pole IS art, what Lana did was nothing but typical boring stripper pole moves. Lana was wrong and should have apologized. Instead she doubled down and made it worse. Lana has/had a lot of black fans. Months later they are still pissed. They sure as hell don't look at that letter she typed as admiration. The thousands of videos lambasting Lana on Youtube about what she said is evidence that people weren't having it. If you still don't get it, ask a black person to explain it to you.

I wonder how this might affect her new album sales. 

It's just weird that people took her simply mentioning names as negatives. Her mentioning of Twigs was not done to put her down or drag her. She was making a comparison from her perspective. She may have been wrong because I've heard that Twigs has gotten a lot of criticism for her own pole dancing, but I still don't think her intention was to "drag" anyone. That seems to be the thing a lot of people are not seeing. Why does everything have to be a "drag"?

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

26 minutes ago, MAX DEL REY said:

Why do people hate 'Lucky Ones' exactly?

The orchestration and production makes the piece mawkish. The Born to Die version sucked the life out of the originally which was fun and very playful. I still like it but it's objectively bad.

Also it has one of the only production fuck ups on the entire record, with the loop pop in the outro.

3lfQEhw.png