Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

18 minutes ago, Lustformoney said:

nfr is a boring flop. i never understood how yall say its some godly masterpiece. flop instrumental with flop lyrics to appeal to critics and bald old dudes

Even the opening strings don't do much for me, because the rest of the song isn't worth it. 

:pft:

2 hours ago, past the bushes said:

It's a nice song and I don't think it's repetitive like some say it is (it's actually hard for me to find a Lana song I don't like) but it really feels like so many outtakes could use its place in the album.

Also with how big of a sound all of UV had it kinda feels like it's missing something?

it definitely has way more open space, sonically, than anything else on UV– and i love all the stillness in the song, it helps hold the tension imo. but yeah i def hear u re: not fitting in with the UV sound.

aOaIzH2.gif

15 hours ago, sexyslutboy said:

I know Billie Eilish has stated lana del rey to be one of her biggest inspirations but they are completely different and constantly seeing  comments on how lana "invented" her is annoying. the only thing they have in common is that they sing about sad things, but i can name you a billion other artists who do the same

billies music, in terms of both sound and lyrics, are extremely simple but they're effective. Lana is known for her work that is extremely grandiose and prose-y. 

completely different. they're even sort of opposites. 

I'm now realizing that i already posted something just like this on this thread already. but the reason it's coming back to me again is cause i've finally decided to look into billies music and it really does stand out 

how does billies music stand out?

y’all might kill me but i genuinely think NFR the album shoulda been scrapped... her vocals on some takes r a struggle. 

also old money should’ve been scrapped to. her voice sounds so forced. 

and religion too

gonna give one unpopular opinion for each album :hooker:

BTD - Lucky Ones is terrible, borderline unlistenable

Paradise - American is 10000% underrated

Ultraviolence - Old Money doesn't do much for me :tsk:

Honeymoon - The Blackest Day is good but imo a little overhyped

Lust For Life - Summer Bummer is one of my fav ever Lana songs

Norman Fucking Rockwell! - I don't like California

Wq9zHLl.jpg

22 minutes ago, lanasdaddy said:

how does billies music stand out?

a lot of her songs are really emotionally effective. before getting into her it was easy to assume that her music would just be another kid making lazy "edgy" lyrics but I actually found myself invested in what she was singing in 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

19 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

Agree except regarding lucky ones and old money 

29 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

American is the best song off Paradise :typewriter:

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

28 minutes ago, MAX DEL REY said:

Question for the culture ages do people really view 'California' as like this superior/career defining Lana song? Like really?

do people hype it like that? from what i've seen it's either hated or met with indifference. i like it, but looking at her whole discography id say it's forgettable.

since we're on the topic though, what would you view as her career defining song(s)?

UguUCJc.gif

1 minute ago, Party Favor said:

do people hype it like that? from what i've seen it's either hated or met with indifference. i like it, but looking at her whole discography id say it's forgettable.

since we're on the topic though, what would you view as her career defining song(s)?

Off the top of my head: Off To The Races, Ride, West Coast, Shades of Cool, Brooklyn Baby, Terrence Loves You, The Blackest Day, Heroin, Get Free, Venice Bitch.

I've said this multiple times. I've always loved Guns and Roses, but I definitely admit it's not in the right place in her discography. Though, it is a nice track between the Ultraviolence era and the soothing trippy vibes in some Honeymoon songs like HBTB, Freak and MTWBT.

Flipside and Is This Happiness (ESPECIALLY ITH) belonged on UV. Is This Happiness is so softly violent, it's perfect for the album and even nicer and more beautiful than Old Money. It actually would have made a beautiful wrap-up after The Other Woman, closing the album with the themes of violence and loneliness explored from every angle. 

Production-wise, sometimes I think the NFR songs were trying to aim for what ITH had, with the piano ballards and the vintage sound (what even is that sound? Organs? Muted strings? Sorta what HIAB and HTD had in them).

ITH feels so quiet but it has such beauty in it that it doesn't need to be anything more. 

5 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

here are mine :hoe:

btd - the album version of lolita is the absolute worst version. also i never really cared for blue jeans.

paradise - burning desire is boring, the rework of yayo should never have happened.

uv - guns & roses is one of the best songs on the album. 

honeymoon - the demo version and album version of freak are both equally amazing in different ways.

lust for life - love is a cute song, but it doesn't do anything for me, and cherry is by far her most overrated song, ever.

nfr - hiadtfawlmth - bihi is such a great song, it's such a raw and honest song and i really appreciate it for that.

WGe8ynS.gif

3 minutes ago, LemonadeHeavens said:

here are mine :hoe:

btd - the album version of lolita is the absolute worst version. also i never really cared for blue jeans.

paradise - burning desire is boring, the rework of yayo should never have happened.

uv - guns & roses is one of the best songs on the album. 

honeymoon - the demo version and album version of freak are both equally amazing in different ways.

lust for life - love is a cute song, but it doesn't do anything for me, and cherry is by far her most overrated song, ever.

nfr - hiadtfawlmth - bihi is such a great song, it's such a raw and honest song and i really appreciate it for that.

leave album lolita alone 2020

UguUCJc.gif

5 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

Love this idea! 

BTD- I never really got into video games and only liked it cause the piano was easy to learn 

Paradise- I always skip Body Electric unless I'm listening to Paradise as a full album on purpose. Tasteless, I know.

Ultraviolence- florida kilos is her second worst released song after coachella

Honeymoon- Freak is perfect 

Lust for Life- Groupie Love is such a nice song and everything about it is so Lana

NFR- should have had more than one producer

numero tokyo was such an amazing shoot and i can't stand that we still have zero outtakes from it. about to dive back into the buying scene and see if my seller can find any im that desperate :typewriter:

UguUCJc.gif

51 minutes ago, MAX DEL REY said:

Off the top of my head: Off To The Races, Ride, West Coast, Shades of Cool, Brooklyn Baby, Terrence Loves You, The Blackest Day, Heroin, Get Free, Venice Bitch.

The taste this list exudes :illumilana2:

~album unpopular opinions~

BtD: I don’t rly like the album version of million dollar man, the production does weird things to her voice in it. 
Paradise: cola has never moved me and I never really listen to it voluntarily

UV: Sometimes I still get confused between sad girl and pretty when I cry. The fact they are right next to each other on the tracklist bothers me. 
HM: I actually really like her version of please don’t let me be misunderstood. She’s cute. 
LfL: I don’t seem to dislike it as much as everyone else. I get that it’s not her most cohesive artistic statement but it has some damn good songs on it. Love, 13 Beaches, Summer Bummer, Groupie Love, Heroin, God Bless..., Get Free. The strength those songs have. :oprah3:

NFR: I love her vocals. Her whispery high voice is so beautiful to me. The last few lines of hope are so stunning. 
COCC: unpopular opinion but I hate how it doesn’t exist