Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I love Cinnamon Girl and it doesn't aged like milk for me and I actually like the album cover of NFR! (without the text)

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

with a few exceptions (such as the amazing Hope... and a couple others) i hate how lazy lana's songwriting/lyricism has become. don't get me wrong, i know she's always had her moments and that's fine - a good song is a good song and sometimes it's more fun for music to be catchy and addictive and create an atmosphere than to act as a lyrical masterpiece. but still, there are so many songs that just make me wince because of how little effort i can tell was put into the lyrics.

take California for example - i have lots of problems with the track, but the lyrics are probably my biggest. "if you come back to america you should just hit me up" is just.... bland, low effort and sounds like something you might text to a friend. "faster than my fastest cars" is a horrible lyric that - and i'm sorry to be so negative - sounds like something a 9 year old boy who's obsessed with cars might write for an elementary school homework project. like... of ALL the things you could've written lana you choose to write that??  :awkney:

i also hate how she rhymes "mind" with "mind" on FIILY lmao. it's a minor nitpick but again, so lazy. The Greatest is one of my absolute favourite lana songs EVER and i'm so so so happy we have it, but i definitely hate how often she repeats the same lines because, i assume, she was too lazy and unbothered to try think anything else up.

however, this isn't a NFR exclusive thing at all. in fact, the title track, Hope, MAC, and a couple others i really really REALLY love lyrically. this album has some of her finest lyrical moments. this has been a bit of a theme with lana for a little while. just look at Freak - those lyrics are awful. lana has an abundance of songs with lazy writing. i just wish she'd refine her lyrical work a little more before recording i guess  :defeated:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

My admiration for an artist as a person directly affects the way I appreciate his art (I can't dissociate myself). And lately, I don't feel like listening to Lana (Which I did every day). She became uninteresting to me for a few reasons. And I feel very bad about that...

Same, except I don't feel bad, 'cos it's all her fault. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

My admiration for an artist as a person directly affects the way I appreciate his art (I can't dissociate myself). And lately, I don't feel like listening to Lana (Which I did every day). She became uninteresting to me for a few reasons. And I feel very bad about that...

Ps.: Sorry for my English. It's not my official language, I'm still learning.

Don't apologize your English is fine!  :)

Also I relate to your comment a lot. Here's my unpopular opinion too: I went from listening to Lana almost daily, to barely listen to her every other day. I can honestly say that I've listened to maybe 3-4 songs off NFR more than 10-15 times. I've listened to that album from start to finish 4, maybe 5 times at the most? Same thing happened with LFL if I'm being honest. But this era I'm just over her antics and laziness.

with a few exceptions (such as the amazing Hope... and a couple others) i hate how lazy lana's songwriting/lyricism has become. don't get me wrong, i know she's always had her moments and that's fine - a good song is a good song and sometimes it's more fun for music to be catchy and addictive and create an atmosphere than to act as a lyrical masterpiece. but still, there are so many songs that just make me wince because of how little effort i can tell was put into the lyrics.

take California for example - i have lots of problems with the track, but the lyrics are probably my biggest. "if you come back to america you should just hit me up" is just.... bland, low effort and sounds like something you might text to a friend. "faster than my fastest cars" is a horrible lyric that - and i'm sorry to be so negative - sounds like something a 9 year old boy who's obsessed with cars might write for an elementary school homework project. like... of ALL the things you could've written lana you choose to write that??  :awkney:

i also hate how she rhymes "mind" with "mind" on FIILY lmao. it's a minor nitpick but again, so lazy. The Greatest is one of my absolute favourite lana songs EVER and i'm so so so happy we have it, but i definitely hate how often she repeats the same lines because, i assume, she was too lazy and unbothered to try think anything else up.

however, this isn't a NFR exclusive thing at all. in fact, the title track, Hope, MAC, and a couple others i really really REALLY love lyrically. this album has some of her finest lyrical moments. this has been a bit of a theme with lana for a little while. just look at Freak - those lyrics are awful. lana has an abundance of songs with lazy writing. i just wish she'd refine her lyrical work a little more before recording i guess  :defeated:

Just curious: do you like her poetry a lot? Because one would think she's *never* intending to be lazy when writing a poem. As for lazy vs. great lyrics in her songs, couldn't help but be reminded of this:

The concept of her lyrics being 'much more mature' kind of confuses me. I get it for songs like hope and mac, but it's presented as her older songs just being lists of things or phrases repeated, while NFR has narratives and messages, etc. You can see narratives in songs as far back as AKA imo. I think people mistake dropping personas for immaturity tbh. There's nothing immature about ultraviolence's writing, for example (in the messages of her songs, before anyone quotes saying 'sad girl sad girl blah blah blah'). There's nothing immature about saying that you've slept with people to gain your current position, for example. I think a big thing with critics saying that her writing is good this time has to do with the more subdued music and messages being more palatable (and retroactively approving of her older work). Idk. I feel like with NFR people see what they want to see much more.

locals only

The concept of her lyrics being 'much more mature' kind of confuses me. I get it for songs like hope and mac, but it's presented as her older songs just being lists of things or phrases repeated, while NFR has narratives and messages, etc. You can see narratives in songs as far back as AKA imo. I think people mistake dropping personas for immaturity tbh. There's nothing immature about ultraviolence's writing, for example (in the messages of her songs, before anyone quotes saying 'sad girl sad girl blah blah blah'). There's nothing immature about saying that you've slept with people to gain your current position, for example. I think a big thing with critics saying that her writing is good this time has to do with the more subdued music and messages being more palatable (and retroactively approving of her older work). Idk. I feel like with NFR people see what they want to see much more.

Whether or not something's mature depends on intention somewhat. So FMUTTT in the context of MPG (being the song before it) and the way critics viewed her in the past seems a sophisticated and biting counter-attack (aka very mature), but the interpretation (we talked about it at LB) that had Lorde as the hypothetical diss object would not have been very mature. I think you could argue UV lyrics are simpler than NFR lyrics, but who cares about that as the torch singing was far better on UV. But full agree. NFR is not more mature (although she's older now) or more magnum than her previous albums. For me, if I loved NFR only 3/4's the amount of what I love AKA, I'd still want to buy NFR.

My thought exactly. There's a huge difference between more palatable lyrics (or dumbing down lyrics sometimes) and being more "mature" lyrics wise. I agree that some songs on NFR! display character development, or artistic evolution. But to say that with each album she got increasingly more mature with what she decided to sing about, is a bit inaccurate. LFL was notoriously juvenile lyrics wise, and there were juvenile and subpar/weak lyrics on NFR! as well. 

To me Honeymoon remains her most intelligent work to date, Ultraviolence her most raw and Born To Die her most melodic lyrically.

Ps.: Sorry for my English. It's not my official language, I'm still learning.

This speaks to my soul

Lucky Ones is Prom Song (Gone Wrong) all grown up.

Video Games is Oh Say Can You See all grown up.

You need to give a reasoning when you write something like this.

Like what about Oh Say Can You See lyrics makes you think it's a juvenile version of Video Games when Lana said that in her mind Yayo is the prequel to the BTD-VG-BJ trilogy so if any song from AKA is connected to Video Games it's Yayo.

I can't believe groupie love is so hated by fans... I thought that apart from the rap feature Its one of the most classically lanaesque songs (lyrics, vocals and inflections, and instrumental) on LFL, along with heroin

the opening verse with the male backing vocals almost reminds me of honeymoon

Groupie love is getting the guns and roses treatment, criminally underrated song hated because of its repetitive and monotone chorus

I can't believe groupie love is so hated by fans... I thought that apart from the rap feature Its one of the most classically lanaesque songs (lyrics, vocals and inflections, and instrumental) on LFL, along with heroin

the opening verse with the male backing vocals almost reminds me of honeymoon

Groupie love is getting the guns and roses treatment, criminally underrated song hated because of its repetitive and monotone chorus

guns & roses is everything ... 

if you like my face just thank my surgeon | your friendly local trans - catch me modeling for: https://dragunbeauty.com/

You need to give a reasoning when you write something like this.

Like what about Oh Say Can You See lyrics makes you think it's a juvenile version of Video Games when Lana said that in her mind Yayo is the prequel to the BTD-VG-BJ trilogy so if any song from AKA is connected to Video Games it's Yayo.

in an atmospheric way.

oh say can you see, to me, has this raining at night walking down the road with headlights in your face and a clear moon above your head feeling. this feeling of being happy with your loneliness and being able to see the beauty in sad situations. like you're hanging out with friends laughing and you're so happy, but you know it will end and you'll be sad again. where the world moves fast, but your mind moves in slow motion. similar to the crying in the club feeling. video games gives me the same atmosphere. being happy and sad at the same time. enjoying life, but having this deep, unmovable feeling of loneliness.

as for lucky ones and prom song (gone wrong), they both have this "this is true love and there is literally no sadness in the world. let's escape this and spread our love and fire. c'mon baby" vibe. true love and running away together vibes. 

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

On 12/2/2019 at 3:41 PM, Ultra Violet said:

For me I just like her vocals in the chorus. The layering sounds so good and the way she sings sounds desperate and it's one of the only parts of the album where we hear that old style of hers, the same way Ultraviolence had it. 

The verses of california are trash.

jack antonoff wants to be dan auerbach, and the fact that this album is more recognized than ultraviolence is just another example of how whimsical politics run the music business. 

On 12/3/2019 at 10:58 AM, MXDH said:

The guitar solo/instrumental climax sounds flat too, it lacks bass as well.

that's jack antonoff for you!

On 12/4/2019 at 5:09 AM, Jiggy said:

I never listened to NFR after September

i listened to it the night it was released and that's it (because i can't afford google play anymore anyway)

i just play the chords on my guitar and sing it myself when i want to reexperience it