Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

On 3/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, Enchanted Mansion said:

I did not read your message before posting and I think exactly like you.

The artist she was at the beginning and now has changed, yes in the meantime she has become a superstar, an icon, but until 2015-2016 she still had this "old Lana" thing that reminded us of her art at the top.

Now we feel that she has succeeded, she has achieved her goal and her dream, she knows that her fans will buy everything she offers since she has understood the magic recipe for making good music and no longer cares about the rest.

She is very self-centered, bordering on narcissism, and her recent scandals remind me of an authentic girl who has become too spoiled, a princess like a rich 18-year-old girl.

I miss her awkwardness at the start, her smiles, her red cheeks and her shyness. Her garage jackets too haha. She has gained confidence, that's good, but part of her authenticity is definitely gone. She's calculating her image too much now and it ties in with my post where I think she lost that "lana del rey" thing where she seemed so proud of her music videos, her songs, her life, everything.

The advantage is that she will never release bad songs and thank God, but yes this old Lana, shy, young in Hollywood, emotional, her so particular way of making her songs with arrangements of her own has disappeared to make way has a rich star far from reality as Lady Gaga has become over time...

She would have entered the music market with what she offers today, I wouldn't have really paid attention.

Authentic Lana before> Lana Del Rey today

I agree to a certain extent.

But I also feel like part of the dynamics goes the other way. She used to be shy during interviews, but her LDR persona used to be really impressive, talking about heavy topics, about having a tormented, glamorous life, about killing people, about sleeping with countless men, about doing hard drugs. Now she sings about doing the laundry. And the music videos followed that, and so did the production, at least on Born To Die - it was very dramatic, very glamorous, very polished, very heavy. Every time she would appear in public she would have elaborate makeup and elaborate hair etc. Now, she sings about things that are much more mundane, much more within reach for everyday people. This is also why she has lost her cinematic, theatrical touch. But it results in her having more, somehow, of a regular human being - and in her being more authentic, less calculating her image, in the end. I feel like her awkwardness has always been there and still is. There's also the fact that she's gotten fatter and older and that she appears without makeup all the time and that she posts whatever random stuff goes through her mind on instagram etc. Although she's much more settled now, and has this LA lifestyle, she  has also gotten much simpler in a way, and I kinda like that - even if I miss what she used to have, at the same time. I also think her political opinions weren't necessarily better than what we've seen with qftc - she just didn't say them out loud back then.

Also this really isn't against you but I sometimes get the feeling that just because we all agree LFL is her worst album, people always draw the line between pre-2016 and post-2016. But there actually is a lot of continuity between 2015 and 2017. As for her warmth and humility, which you talk about, I feel like she evidenced much more of those with LFL than with Honeymoon. LFL was literally her being positive all the time and saying how she loved the fans and having cinematic music videos and trailers too, and also trying to stop being self-absorbed and talk about the problems of the world, and having guests on her songs, and she also seemed really proud of her album, although we can agree its quality isn't that of Honeymoon, so that's not where I'd draw the line.

On 3/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, Aphrodite said:

When the World was at war we kept dancing is a masterpiece. It's so beautiful and makes you feel alive :grinds:

I completely agree!! the chorus feels like the equivalent of like.... wind rushing thru ur hair!!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

On 3/6/2021 at 12:48 PM, Enchanted Mansion said:

The artist she was at the beginning and now has changed, yes in the meantime she has become a superstar, an icon, but until 2015-2016 she still had this "old Lana" thing that reminded us of her art at the top.

Now we feel that she has succeeded, she has achieved her goal and her dream, she knows that her fans will buy everything she offers since she has understood the magic recipe for making good music and no longer cares about the rest.

She is very self-centered, bordering on narcissism, and her recent scandals remind me of an authentic girl who has become too spoiled, a princess like a rich 18-year-old girl.

I miss her awkwardness at the start, her smiles, her red cheeks and her shyness. Her garage jackets too haha. She has gained confidence, that's good, but part of her authenticity is definitely gone. She's calculating her image too much now and it ties in with my post where I think she lost that "lana del rey" thing where she seemed so proud of her music videos, her songs, her life, everything.

The advantage is that she will never release bad songs and thank God, but yes this old Lana, shy, young in Hollywood, emotional, her so particular way of making her songs with arrangements of her own has disappeared to make way has a rich star far from reality as Lady Gaga has become over time...

She would have entered the music market with what she offers today, I wouldn't have really paid attention.

Lana has become this lazy 'eh whatever' person in her work. You have artists like Madonna, Jack White and Beyonce who have been around for 20+ years and with every album release, they put effort to the aesthetics, visual and energy in their shows. Visuals is part of the package. Lana denies that but she's been off her rockers in the last few years. She's lying to herself if she thinks people paid attention to Born To Die first because of the music entirely. For most people, they saw what she looked like and her vintage aesthetic and that brought people into her music.

If Lana came out today with the music she's released the past two releases and her boring imagery, I wouldn't have paid her no attention.

Like I said, never seen anyone this lazy in the industry.

If Stevie Nicks who's in her 70's can go on stage with her 6 inch stiletto boots and sing and dance around the stage, then what's up with Lana?

On 3/6/2021 at 4:19 PM, ShadesOfFool said:

I would not pay to go to a Lana concert post 2018

Me either. To think people shell out $300 + to see her in concert appalls me. She's not worth more then a basic club price of $10. Sorry. Not Sorry.

21 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Me either. To think people shell out $300 + to see her in concert appalls me. She's not worth more then a basic club price of $10. Sorry. Not Sorry.

not to be shady but someone had to say it :hottie:

19 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

why would you say that?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, baddisease said:

why would you say that?

I wouldn’t say she’s worth $10 :toofunny: but she does not put effort in her performances anymore, addresses the same 10 people that religiously go to her concerts, is always like an hour or two late, and her concerts seem really short compared to other artists I’ve been to. Doesn’t help that most of her set list is BTD songs. I’ve been to two different tours and the set list was almost the same

sgopYhV.gif

6 hours ago, baddisease said:

why would you say that?

i don’t wanna be mean to lana but her shows definitely aren’t worth a lot, at least not £60. i’ve been to better shows for just £15 with artists who seem like they genuinely want to be there even though i find lana’s music better 

this is barely an unpopular opinion but even in the first pages of THIS thread people were asking lana to be different, to go back to her lizzy days, saying her old lyrics and songs were better, she should go back to that... i'll never understand why this fanbase has always been SO unsatisfied with whoever lana is in the present and so obsessive over the past :um2: i love and miss all her past albums and eras but sometimes we just have to move on :xcry:

sUcVobB.png

On 10/2/2014 at 1:04 PM, 50ShadesofCool said:

"Bel Air" and (especially) "Yayo" still bore the fcuk out of me. in fact i hate all versions of yayo. probs her most overrated song tbh.  :flutter:  :smokes2:

omg side not but this might be one of the most atrocious opinions i've seen on this thread :crying2: aside from the one that said lana shouldn't try to be an alternative artist

sUcVobB.png

27 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

omg side not but this might be one of the most atrocious opinions i've seen on this thread :crying2: aside from the one that said lana shouldn't try to be an alternative artist

:whoopi: bel air & yayo are gorgeous... 

WGe8ynS.gif

On 3/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, Enchanted Mansion said:

i wanna disagree, i see the self-centred aspect of her but i think she has always been that way, being self-centred isn't always a bad thing. 

i think she is more authentic she has ever been, her music and creative process is a lot more raw and personal, she seems to care less about flashy imagery and wants to keep things down to earth and simple, that tends to happen as people get older. i disagree with that she's "calculating" her image, she is simply defending herself against people who take her words and twist them into something else. the glamorous old hollywood film lana seems to be no more, and you know what that's okay, she's grown out of that and is taking new approaches. nfr is her best work to date in my opinion.

she has a care-free attitude now sure, but that's actually a sign of growth as a person. i can appreciate that sort of attitude because again, it brings out authenticity and caring less about image and promoting oneself. yeah she is that stage in her career where she can do that, and fair enough, i don't blame her.

she has just matured, people change with age. some people don't stay shy forever. she gained more interest in politics quite obviously but i don't see that as a bad thing either, she wants to be more open and speak up on what she believes in.