Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Well... it's been two days since the release and I think the initial excitement I had for this triple release has died down a bit. I find the so called title track to be somewhat forgetful, dare I say it's in the same league as 'LMLYLAW', it's not a bad song, but it's kinda dreary. I initially did not care all that much for 'Wildflower Wildfire',Β but it's a pleasant song, it's definitely a departure from the type of piano ballads we had on the past two records. It's a good song. 'Text Book' remains the superior song out of the three imho. The melody is what stands out the most to me, I like how it breaks down in three distinct part, it's giving me 'West Coast' meets 'Get Free' and I like that about it. I feel like all these songs are very personal to her... but does that make them better/greater for that reason? That's debatable. I'm not going to comment on the lyrical nature of the songs just yet, I like to have the context of the full album for that, but I think they are certainly interesting in that regard.

Β 

I agree with other people in this thread, I did not care much for 'NFR!', despite it being a successful and critically acclaimed album, it did not and still does not resonate with me, except for a few key songs, but y'all already know this. Unlike some other people, I have overall enjoyed 'Chemtrails' a whole lot more than 'NFR!', but again, except a few key tracks, I do not find myself re-listening to the album all that much. I guess I have just been slowly groing out of Lana, her albums used to be an experience from start to finish, but since 'Lust for Life' I have not found myself able to enjoy the albums all the way through, and after the first couple listens I find myself skipping songs more often than not.

Β 

I have hopes for 'Blue Banisters' to change that. I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, Bunny Mozart said:

13 Beaches deserves more love

Β 

my most listened song of 2020

it's just PERFECT

1.jpgΒ  3.jpgΒ Β 2.jpgΒ 

I'm scared of the lyrical content of the next songs. I hope we have at least one lighter song to bring light to the record, otherwise it's going to be unlistable for meΒ 

Β 

Β 

Spoiler

Empaths never win do we?Β :krylie:

Β 

1 hour ago, domandapiano said:

I feel this is pretty divisive but her lyrics now are MILES more deep and intricate than they were on her first few albums. It blows my mind some people look at the lyrics to Blue Banisters and the Lyrics to say, Summertime Sadness (a song I love tbh) and think she’s taken a lyrical nosedive.Β 

Β 

I've always had the feeling that her lyricism was being (self?)restrained in order to fit the genres and industry patterns she was moving within. These last 3 songs showcase -as nothing on her career has, from my point of view- where her songwriting potentials truly lie. I truly, truly hope, that she feels encouraged to keep walking this path. Not that her previous music has been bad (although I was never a huge fan of her lyricism, which made me cringe many times to be honest), but the phase she's starting right now is absolutely the most brilliant she's ever been at.

I'm just gonna skip over this albumΒ (if the rest of theΒ songs also sound like these 3) and just hope for the next one lol

It's not that I necessarily want BEATSΒ or some big bop song, I just want some decent production, kind of like how the chorus change up part in Text BookΒ moved me for a while.Β I'm tired of all these stripped down piano ballad snooze fests, it all sounds the sameΒ over and over and each era I like less and less of them, this time being zero so farΒ :facepalm:

Β 

I love her to death like I've never been into an artist the way I have with Lana... She's been a massive part of my youth and life and I doubt I'll ever completelyΒ let go of her, so this is really hard for me, but I do look forward to a future eraΒ :wub:

Β 

Also I've seen people who've posted similar opinions get chewed upΒ lmao - just a reminder that this is an opinionΒ thread,Β and most of us are fans of many many years. Everyone should be able to share what they love and don't love without someone feeling personally attacked damn

2 minutes ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

Bartender is a great song.

It's true, it's true!

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β 

I really didn’t care for the new tracks and Mike Dean’s production reallyΒ underwhelmed me. I feel like I’m missing something with these tracks but I guess that’s how some people felt when NFR was released. I do like Textbook overall butΒ the BLM line is cringy sorryΒ 

sgopYhV.gif

19 hours ago, honey dew said:

I can't stand when people claim objectiveΒ truths about something as fundamentally subjective as music girl even though I've probably done it in the heat of the moment but I'm getting defensive bc these songs all affected me frankly on another level than what Lana's music has before but you won't hear me lamenting that there's no fire on HoneymoonΒ because what does that even truly mean? WW is maybe her most firey song for me because it's so powerful and soul-baring.Β I found the instrumentals to be deeplyΒ emotional like the droning synths in BB trap me in this intensely depressive state it's hard to listen to. That's because as an individual I'mΒ susceptible to being affected by the kind of sound in BB for whatever reason. On the flip side YosemiteΒ didn't affect me at all.Β IΒ rebuke the idea that a song necessarily needs to have "sonic variation" or this or thatΒ to be emotionalΒ like that is justΒ pretentious it's all just aestheticism and subjectivity and what resonates with you based on your life experience. Also for want of a less crude descriptionΒ you CAN take a poem andΒ employ repetition on a few lines and say it's a song because that's essentially what most of our best singer-songwriters have been doing for decades

What are you even talking about? It's my opinion, not an objective truth.Β 

:wtfney:

It IS fundamentally subjective and that's why you have an opposing opinion. And both are okay.Β 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

some of yall need a reminder that this thread is dedicated to unpopular opinions and you don't have to agree with or rebuttal against themΒ 

nothing in here is objective or factual, it's all personal.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

4 hours ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

I find the 3 singles above the Chemtrails album that I really didn't like, I like the fact that they talk about her private life but they are still weak even if I see where she wants to go.

Β 

I agree with your opinions and I miss part of her. I know that everything is far away now, she has grown up; evolved blah blah but I need to fall in love with herΒ songs again. Like the very first time I heard each new song in his repertoire, going from Born to die to Lust for life, this excitement, the heart that rises... She misses this time where herΒ songs were very marked and timeless, without boredom.

Β 

Damn, I'm hoping that the leaks will give me that because I know that his new music / poem will no longer have this effect.

Β 

Mike lied saying that these 3 tracks would be fire, yes they are from Lana but it's not as hot as that and we come back to the same point: there is better but we are going in circles.

Β 

Sometimes I would like her to stop taking herself for a poet who writes so many things that they no longer make sense. I think we praise her writing so much for nothing and now she does too many headlines thinking that every stroke of the pencil will be genius. It could, but it is no longer the case.

I really need to travel again through her songs, to feel a texture, a heaviness, a marked universe. She set the bar too high to give up.

Β 

I think she has no more inspiration and the fact that she tries to do too many songs as if her life depended on it is damaging her talent. We revolve around the same themes, the same sounds, the same universes, everything is so similar since NFR that we do not realize that she is going to release another album...

Β 

She is productive but more in a good way, for me it takes out funds from the drawer that should remain in its hard drive. So its productivity is not really useful because the songs are less quality, she has become lazy through the promo, photos, covers... We do not know where we are.

Β 

The girl relies a lot on her prestigious name and she knows it, but until when? It's frustrating.

Yes I 100% agree

She can, obviously, sing about whatever she wants but if she's electing to sing about everyday normal life (eg: Chunk baking a cake) then I need more than someone playing the same four chords on a piano in the background. Spilling some tea about her mother shouldn't be the main point of interest.Β 

And this is my unpopular opinion not my unpopular objective fact

Even though I’m on the side that enjoys the new songs, I think I see where @Rorman NockwellΒ is coming from regarding the poetry comment. Okay, we know that someΒ artists, including the great Leonard Cohen, were essentially composing music over their poetry and turn them into songs, but with Lana it’s a bit different I think. Cohen’s poetic diction always read like it could easily be a song lyric, whereas Lana’s is more Ginsberg and Whitman style, and I don’t find anything in VBBOTG as similar to her former lyrical content. So, with the new songs, I think it sometimes sounds like they were scrapped into a song with a change of mind now that we know her poetic style. That said, I enjoy them, but I can see why someΒ people might not. And that’s okay. Don’t know why it even became an issue. Everyone can have their opinions, otherwise why would there be Lanaboards? Again, I don’t want to put wordsΒ in your mouth rorman, this is just my take on what you said. Much love to everyone ?

2 minutes ago, lili said:

Even though I’m on the side that enjoys the new songs, I think I see where @Rorman NockwellΒ is coming from regarding the poetry comment. Okay, we know that someΒ artists, including the great Leonard Cohen, were essentially composing music over their poetry and turn them into songs, but with Lana it’s a bit different I think. Cohen’s poetic diction always read like it could easily be a song lyric, whereas Lana’s is more Ginsberg and Whitman style, and I don’t find anything in VBBOTG as similar to her former lyrical content. So, with the new songs, I think it sometimes sounds like they were scrapped into a song with a change of mind now that we know her poetic style. That said, I enjoy them, but I can see why someΒ people might not. And that’s okay. Don’t know why it even became an issue. Everyone can have their opinions, otherwise why would there be Lanaboards? Again, I don’t want to put wordsΒ in your mouth rorman, this is just my take on what you said. Much love to everyone ?

Yeah no this is exactly what it is. When I listened, I pictured the lyrics typed up on a page like in Violet and heard her reciting them like the spoken word. Maybe that's my own fault because I have very goodΒ imagination, but they just seemed to fit.Β 

And I'm not even saying that there's anything inherently wrong with turning a poem into a song, just that, coupled with the very bare instrumentation, that's how these seem to me.Β 

I enjoy them for what they are but I don't find them to be fully developed songs, especially not when compared to her past work. Music is part of a song and the instrumentation in these doesn't match the lyrical depth and emotion and I find it jarring.Β 

The argument can be made that that was done so as not to overwhelm her (Mike said as much) but at what point does the music just become inconsequential? And then if it's inconsequential then why is it even there and why aren't the words presented as just a poem to give them focus, and therein lies my issue.Β 

:agree:

14 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Yeah no this is exactly what it is. When I listened, I pictured the lyrics typed up on a page like in Violet and heard her reciting them like the spoken word. Maybe that's my own fault because I have very goodΒ imagination, but they just seemed to fit.Β 

And I'm not even saying that there's anything inherently wrong with turning a poem into a song, just that, coupled with the very bare instrumentation, that's how these seem to me.Β 

I enjoy them for what they are but I don't find them to be fully developed songs, especially not when compared to her past work. Music is part of a song and the instrumentation in these doesn't match the lyrical depth and emotion and I find it jarring.Β 

The argument can be made that that was done so as not to overwhelm her (Mike said as much) but at what point does the music just become inconsequential? And then if it's inconsequential then why is it even there and why aren't the words presented as just a poem to give them focus, and therein lies my issue.Β 

:agree:

Yeah, I understand. It’s hard to say where the music becomes inconsequential, and I might not be a good one to comment on that because I’m anΒ English Literature graduate but English is still a foreign language to me. So the lyricsΒ don’tΒ hold the same immediacy they holdΒ for native speakers which I assume you are? So I can ignore the lyrics. But I see what you mean, I agree they’re somewhere between spoken word and a song.Β 

The poetry music discussion is interestingΒ because of what she said inΒ her September interviewΒ with jackΒ 

"I don’t really care if you mush an amazing life story into an alternative record. If the melodies don’t stun me, I kind of don’t care. I think it’s interesting if you’re yelling and shouting and talking about where you’re going and what it’s been like, but to me that’s not a record. That’s a therapy session.Β 

ANTONOFF: You could have a great idea for something, but if you can’t find a beautiful melody, then maybe it’s just a podcast.Β 

DEL REY: And that’s where the poetry comes in. It’s a diary you should read for Audible or something."Β 

I figured that's why she was publishing VBBOTG and BITG. I'm guessing other songs on the record will be more traditionally structured especially if she put dealerΒ 

2 minutes ago, rhubysyrup said:

The poetry music discussion is interestingΒ because of what she said inΒ her September interviewΒ with jackΒ 

"I don’t really care if you mush an amazing life story into an alternative record. If the melodies don’t stun me, I kind of don’t care. I think it’s interesting if you’re yelling and shouting and talking about where you’re going and what it’s been like, but to me that’s not a record. That’s a therapy session.Β 

ANTONOFF: You could have a great idea for something, but if you can’t find a beautiful melody, then maybe it’s just a podcast.Β 

DEL REY: And that’s where the poetry comes in. It’s a diary you should read for Audible or something."Β 

I figured that's why she was publishing VBBOTG and BITG. I'm guessing other songs on the record will be more traditionally structured especially if she put dealerΒ 

Yesss ive been thinking about this, like what changed lana:crying2:Β why why why. Those 3 songs have absolutely no melody

1 hour ago, rhubysyrup said:

I meanΒ maybeΒ these are supposed to be spoken word and could even be from Iron Gates. We don't know because radio silence.Β 

But if they're not ... then that interview comment isΒ :coffee:

1 hour ago, Lustformoney said:

Damn so many ppl unstanning here its depressingΒ :bebe:but i feel the same. I really thought i would stan her till i die but this piano poetry thing is not it

Β 

tulsa jesus freak was her last powerful, melodic song imoΒ