Jump to content
Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Recommended Posts

I miss Jack Antonoff :'( 

 

I mean I love everything about BB so far, but I dream about another album like NFR 


578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Honeymoon came out, ai thought it was such a snoozer. Her videos during UV were lazy but the Freak video was so boring. After LFL came out I got a whole new appreciation for Honeymoon though and I’m sad because we will never get another thematic album like that from her ever again. LFL has some of her best songs but the album as a whole is so in-cohesive and some of the songs are garbage. NFR is amazing but the lyrics aren’t anywhere close to BTD/ PE/ UV. Neither is the production. it sounds LAZY.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

The Arcadia music video is a complete trash. We like it because it's from Lana, but it's terrible. The visual effects make it worse and she really needed to stick her tongue and show the middle finger twice?

 

At least the song is better than LMLLAW

I dont think its good either, but compared to most of her videos from the last 3 years, its one of the best I'd say. Actually what bugs me the most about it is the fact her face doesn't move at all, almost no expresivity. But that has zero to do with the video itself, we know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I really don't like Lana vs. Lorde comparisons because they are two completely different artists and humans, however, I feel that it illustrates my point, so: Solar Power is about Lorde's everyday life. There's a song about her dog that passed. Lyrics about imposter syndrome. Etc. But the thing is, none of the songs sound like diary entries. I really feel like Lana's songs of late sound like diary entries, and maybe that's what she's going for - and maybe that's even what most people here like - but there's more to a good song than just recounting your feelings.

I feel like, if you're going to do that, you've got to be discerning and know what to leave out. This is why you have a diary in the first place - because nobody wants to read that shit, really. She's doing the lyrical equivalent of dumping every single photo from your phone onto your IG, including the blurry selfie and the accidental picture of a tablecloth. I think she thinks it's endearing, and it was to a point, but now my interest is waning. I think people eat it up more than they should just because they are stans and she was so reticent in the past, and now she isn't.

"My body is a map of LA" - we get it. She likes living in LA. We've heard about LA in how many songs and poems? I get that she lives there. But does Lorde write about New Zealand in most songs? No. Do Florence or Marina write about the UK in most songs? No. Do other American artists write about America in most songs? No. At this point I really wish she'd come up with something else. American themes are okay when they are purposeful and tie in with the meaning of the song but when that meaning is just "I live in LA and my friends come over and swim in my pool, teehee," and variations of that over and over, it's boring.

Idk maybe I am unstanning without consciously meaning to. I am looking forward to the UV outtakes, though.

 

I wanna bold this entire post! But I'll have to keep it strict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 2:29 AM, Enchanted Mansion said:

It's been a while since I last came here for lack of time, but I'm back, and it's good to see you again. :flutter:

 

As for Lana I followed a bit what she did this summer and I was happy to see that she was doing well and all these beautiful selfies, these covers and Blue Banisters finally with a date of the beautiful visuals, that's great. She has always been beautiful but I love how the photos are really pretty and worked out.

And the picture of Barrie they were the perfect couple, I'm glad she didn't shut the door on this guy, he looks so cool and sweet. :wub:

 

Well I'm going to repeat myself with my long text boring, but I was once again honest about what I learned from Arcadia: :ohno:

 

As for Arcadia well it's a good title but it's still light years away from Video games as she described it. Although I liked the 3 titles released, I am really fed up with piano vocals, she can do so much better. The outro is original that said, I liked it.
So yes it's beautiful, it's slow, Lana Del Rey in her lust, it's perfect for her fans to make aesthetic videos with it, but I found that to be an abysmal void. It's really empty.
The clip is cool but we are far from the authenticity of his old home made which had something more in the scenarios, the effort which made them so fascinating and interesting.

In addition, this video seems to me to have been shot during the Chemtrails era (hairstyle and makeup) so no effort to dissociate the 2 eras.

She is at the point where she knows that the critics will give her a 10 because they do not like daring and prefer very clean songs, flat without risk, so she does not bother anymore and besides why she would do ? She has understood that she no longer needs to make efforts to sell.

She writes what she has in mind and does her clips anyhow, she knows she will always have applause and that's a problem.

Lana is unfortunately better with big orchestrations and without all that you feel it's pretty empty, elevator music (and I like it a lot). It's redundant and boring, I like her old computer guitar demos, it doesn't have the same flavor.
I know she's not on the same musical level anymore but it's pretty pretentious to say that her new music is really good when she does. I'm really waiting for the day she wakes up. I know Blue Banisters will be very beautiful, but once again I'm afraid of something forgettable and drowned among the thousands of piano voices she has done her last few times, and the worst thing is that everyone looks to like it and not realize the mess it makes available to us...

I'm waiting for the album to see how it all comes off, she's an artist who can surprise.

 

Warning: I still love her and she owes me nothing, but I think I'm crumpled because it's been 3 years since I really liked a song from her 100%, don't take this text as a hateful thing. :flop:

 

It's okay, go hit me :(

 

I didn't realise someone had basically said what I was trying to say before me, so I just wanna say props to you, I agree 100%!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 10:08 AM, Rorman Nockwell said:

I really don't like Lana vs. Lorde comparisons because they are two completely different artists and humans, however, I feel that it illustrates my point, so: Solar Power is about Lorde's everyday life. There's a song about her dog that passed. Lyrics about imposter syndrome. Etc. But the thing is, none of the songs sound like diary entries. I really feel like Lana's songs of late sound like diary entries, and maybe that's what she's going for - and maybe that's even what most people here like - but there's more to a good song than just recounting your feelings.

I feel like, if you're going to do that, you've got to be discerning and know what to leave out. This is why you have a diary in the first place - because nobody wants to read that shit, really. She's doing the lyrical equivalent of dumping every single photo from your phone onto your IG, including the blurry selfie and the accidental picture of a tablecloth. I think she thinks it's endearing, and it was to a point, but now my interest is waning. I think people eat it up more than they should just because they are stans and she was so reticent in the past, and now she isn't.

"My body is a map of LA" - we get it. She likes living in LA. We've heard about LA in how many songs and poems? I get that she lives there. But does Lorde write about New Zealand in most songs? No. Do Florence or Marina write about the UK in most songs? No. Do other American artists write about America in most songs? No. At this point I really wish she'd come up with something else. American themes are okay when they are purposeful and tie in with the meaning of the song but when that meaning is just "I live in LA and my friends come over and swim in my pool, teehee," and variations of that over and over, it's boring.

Idk maybe I am unstanning without consciously meaning to. I am looking forward to the UV outtakes, though.

 

You're right, I really like it when you say that she sings her diary and some things should stay private, kind of like she's the center of the world after all.
The story with LA haha I thought about it too, it's the best to describe the United States in an avant-garde way but her lyrics for a while are super boring and don't mean anything. And when we have nothing more to say in depth, we should think of changing the theme or incorporating "her" LA in a less coarse and more subtle way in the songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, shady said:

The only thing I noticed about her mighty progression in lyricism is more words and more random themes. No catchyness. In terms of the melody and production, the song Guns and Roses sounds like a masterpiece compared to her recent discography, since people love to say how that's one of her worst songs. I prefer the cringy 'kiss me with your blue jeans on the balcony, daddy' because it was at least catchy, cool, edgy and different from the rest of the artists. 

 

Yeah, her voice doesn't really sound that good when singing higher and louder. Sounds kinda shaky. She sounds really good in that Summertime cover and WW tho, I couldn't say the same for Arcadia. 

 

Like literally. She had a million ways to make a cheap homemade "authentic" video. Why is everything for her so mediocre since Chemtrails? She is really starting to give uncool mom vibes. 

 

Really agree with that. Even Guns and Roses which is not my favorite remains so much more instrumental and lyrically interesting than its last texts, Ultraviolence remains an absolute masterpiece and it hurts to see that she's remains in a comfort while doing the minimum.

Exactly, not everything has been really good since Chemtrails and it is not for lack of trying to deeply appreciate her work. BB's little trilogy had potential, I like WW but it's still weak. I think her new producers give him too much freedom and don't dare to give her directions because it's Lana, they are intimidated. Result Lana thinks she has a lot of experience and is mature enough to carry out her projects and go where she wants with confidence, but that doesn't come, we feel that not everything that comes out of her is really good. She needs a good musical team that leads her so that she does not go wrong (and incidentally new friends, less Karen). I hope this is only a phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/09/2021 at 14:15, BluebirdXO said:

The Arcadia music video is a complete trash. We like it because it's from Lana, but it's terrible. The visual effects make it worse and she really needed to stick her tongue and show the middle finger twice?

 

At least the song is better than LMLLAW

 

You said what I thought. The house clip does not look like her house clips that she knew how to do so well, maybe the iPhone filter too high quality or her face which does not show any more emotions? We add the fact that it is quite overplayed and that makes the video really artificial, quite contrary to what she wanted to do. The fingers are not at all useful, she is not rebellious and this song is not here. It will appeal to his younger stans but I don't see the point of all that, it makes the video a little embarrassing. As a bonus, the video doesn't match the song at all, it could have done something more subtle. Little by little, she becomes a caricature of herself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 2:55 PM, tulsadevilfreak said:

lust for life is better than norman fucking rockwell

 

LFL has been criticized and hated but it is the last record where his musical imprint remains. She has major songs from her discographies (White Mustang, Get Free, Heroin, Love, Lust for life, 13 beaches...) and very successful unlike NFR where everything seems generic (except Doin time maybe). I wish I had more clips and the video of Cherry that she teased in the void.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 6:17 AM, Rorman Nockwell said:

No I agree wholeheartedly

Also, lots of lyrics are worded very awkwardly. "In the month of mid July" was the beginning and now we've arrived at "run your hands over me like a Land Rover" 

I know what she's trying to say but it's expressed so awkwardly that I think it makes it sound like a Land Rover has hands that run over people. Bad attempt at expressing that metaphor imo

I haven't found any of her lyrics to be particularly brilliant lately. Insightful maybe, but not cleverly crafted. Wildfire is probably the best of the four lyrically

Her lyrics used to be very nuanced and filled with subtle messages that you had to really contemplate and Arcadia's lyrics are so simplistic and transparent that they almost sound like they belong in a song by The Wiggles explaining the circulatory system to 4 year olds

 

Before 2018 it seems to me that his writing was much better. Even though in LFL she tried wobbly things (Coachella), there was effort. She had a very particular way of writing by placing words, thoughts, maybe several times everywhere, references to many titles but it was good, it made her personality. It was repetitive but fascinating I don't know why, she had her style and we wanted to stick all her songs together and it gave a kind of great unpretentious journey. Her handwriting was lighter, more distinct.

Since describing herself as a poet she feels compelled to make big sentences with pretty words but they don't mean much. Arcadia in particular, I do not find that it is well written, the sentences are coarse and the turns of phrase not terrible. I also see where she's going with that but she really needs to lighten her pen and not write songs like she posts on Instagram.

But I like WW, and it's the only one that stands out lyrically in ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, Arcadia said:

 

FUCK you spilled! 

 

Some very valid points you made here:

 

As for Arcadia well it's a good title but it's still light years away from Video games as she described it - Very true. I'll admit I probably said it was like Video Games in the pre-release thread at some point, but I also know that it was the sheer excitement clouding my judgement. Having piano and strings in a song won't make it akin to Video Games just because of those things

 

She is at the point where she knows that the critics will give her a 10. She has understood that she no longer needs to make efforts to sell. - I think this is my biggest gripe with Lana. And this is also a problem many singers succumb to. Obviously it's good she can be more relaxed in the industry, but it's a slippery slope. If the slope gets too slippery then the music and artistic integrity start to suffer. I mean most people here didn't even like COCC that much and what did we do? We bought all the COCC vinyls anyway. Lana knows this. She knows we'll buy/stream whatever she puts out. She knows she doesn't have to impress us anymore. This is why I've barely listened to the 3 BB singles, I just can't love it and I'm not going to stream it just because Lana's name is slapped on them.

 

Lana is unfortunately better with big orchestrations and without all that you feel it's pretty empty, elevator music - Watch the Lana stans come out of the woodworks to scold you for mentioning orchestrations. But you're right here. I noticed when everyone heard the strings in Arcadia, they were floored and loving it. It goes to show that people will trash orchestral music just because it's trendy in the Lanasphere atm, but we all know she peaked with those strings behind her. 

 

I like her old computer guitar demos - Ugh they are amazing, aren't they? :true:

 

Thank you and happy to know that I'm not the only one to think that, you have to be lucid sometimes even if you like the artist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

 

 

Really agree with that. Even Guns and Roses which is not my favorite remains so much more instrumental and lyrically interesting than its last texts, Ultraviolence remains an absolute masterpiece and it hurts to see that she's remains in a comfort while doing the minimum.

Exactly, not everything has been really good since Chemtrails and it is not for lack of trying to deeply appreciate her work. BB's little trilogy had potential, I like WW but it's still weak. I think her new producers give him too much freedom and don't dare to give her directions because it's Lana, they are intimidated. Result Lana thinks she has a lot of experience and is mature enough to carry out her projects and go where she wants with confidence, but that doesn't come, we feel that not everything that comes out of her is really good. She needs a good musical team that leads her so that she does not go wrong (and incidentally new friends, less Karen). I hope this is only a phase.

 

Speaking of Guns n Roses, Lana's post NFR eras (not including NFR) reminds me of that awful era of Chinese Democracy - When an artist becomes too confident with their art that instead of attempting to sound more mature, they sound messy, empty and uninteresting. NFR, although not my cup of tea, is different and creative, everything after NFR sounds like outtakes of it or watered down. These stans keep convincing people that there is a huge difference between eras but it's only because we know they're different eras. If the songs were randomly played we wouldn't notice a thing except for a couple of country sounding songs. Arcadia literally sounds like an NFR outtake, sorry not sorry. 


I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arcadia song and video is pure terrible accomplishment. I will reserve my opinion on where she is at in her work though, until we get the full album. Lana could still deliver a great album despite one first single.


Baby now You do~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 9:11 AM, House of Balloons said:

I haven't looked forward to a LDR tour/festival since 2017. She has been recycling the same BTD/UV dominated setlist for years now and it's so tiring, it probably tires her too considering how apathetic she was during her recent shows. A part of me understands why she would perform her greatest hits on festivals but I don't think it would be necessary to ghost her recent albums in favor of BTD on her own tour. 

 

i havent seen her since 2015 but from all the videos i've seen i agree– and of course the setlist horror! i will hold out hope for a better setlist through the next tour BUT if she pulls another tour setlist like NFR again i'm giving up...that said would still like to see her live again :flop:


aOaIzH2.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alison by Slowdive said:

the title 'nectar of the gods' isn't clicking w me (yet)

 

Oh same! I actually wish she had kept "Color Blue" - simple and sweet :toofunny: but maybe she changed up some parts of the song

 

In other news, my unpopular opinion: I don't really vibe with her super long titles in general. They sound/look like journal entry titles rather than song titles :rollin:


the lana experience™ — where the mood is a bit ⤴  ⤵  ↗  ↩  ↖ ↪

 

mignon.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...