Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

29 minutes ago, Venice said:

I love Black Bathing Suit but can’t stand those birds bitches hollering in the first few seconds, like shut the fuck up

I’ll have to crop them out later 😒✂️ 

Lol I like them because it reminds me of butterfies G&M remix that I used to listen to (still do) 

https://youtu.be/Uc90SY5wskk

4 hours ago, Venice said:

I love Black Bathing Suit but can’t stand those birds bitches hollering in the first few seconds, like shut the fuck up

I think it's to add beach vibes? Seagulls? Idk they don't bother me but in my country there's no shortage of noisy arse birds (or noisy arse animals in general)

I am, however, annoyed by the lyric about laughing at poor people. That's incredibly cringe coming from a multi millionaire

:wtf3:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I've seen so many people mention that they've liked BB way more than they thought they would, and I kind of agree with them. As I've mentioned in other threads, I really do love all the singles, but I don't feel as though they best represented the album throughout its pre-release promotion. Dealer, IYLDWM, BBS, and others have some more grungy vibes that I feel like didn't really shine through from the promo. So many of us on here were nervous about getting an entire album full of piano ballads (which I would have been more than happy with, but this album had many more sides to it). That said, I am glad that Lana chose the songs that meant most to her, and that's the most important thing, but I do think even replacing one of the singles, or dropping one or two more from those I've listed, would have definitely given more hype to the album's release to some of her more casual listeners. 

I don't know how unpopular this is, but Trash Magic, Disco or Get Drunk should've been put on AKA instead of Brite Lites. The Steve Mertens demo is fantastic, but the final version is kind of a disaster?? Like, I like and it's fun, but it's really incohesive with the album and is generally a track I'd survive without. The only part of the final version I really love is the "the film is fading look at me" section 

imageproxy.jpg

1 hour ago, uhauIjoe said:

Lust for Life final > any of the demos

Fax no printer.. 

I just don't understand how people can hate or dislike that song. It's amazing, the beat, the melody and the feature. Yes it's repetitive But it's still catchy af. 

for example the beat is so dope. It sounds "witchy" if that makes any sense lol. I love it.

8 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

I don't know how unpopular this is, but Trash Magic, Disco or Get Drunk should've been put on AKA instead of Brite Lites. The Steve Mertens demo is fantastic, but the final version is kind of a disaster?? Like, I like and it's fun, but it's really incohesive with the album and is generally a track I'd survive without. The only part of the final version I really love is the "the film is fading look at me" section 

i personally think aka is perfect the way it is, i couldn't imagine anything about it being changed, i used to think the tracklisting was off-putting, but now i think it's perfect since it's so different & unique, but i can understand why some people may think that brite lites is a weak track, but i think having a track like that balances out the more "rock" inspired tracks, since i think it goes with the vibe of mermaid motel & kill kill well, the album is very diverse, yet balanced, there's "surfy" cool-toned tracks like kill kill, mermaid motel, & brite lites, "rock" inspired tracks, like queen of the gas station, for k, pt. 2, jump, & raise me up (mississippi south), ballads like oh say can you see, pawn shop blues, & yayo), & "pop" inspired tracks like gramma (blue ribbon sparkler trailer heaven), put me in a movie, & smarty, i think it's structure & soundscape is so intriguing & maybe even a little genius :wink: 

i will say though, i am TOTALLY here for the existence of david kahne versions of trash magic, disco, & get drunk! :smile: :true: 

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

i personally think aka is perfect the way it is, i couldn't imagine anything about it being changed, i used to think the tracklisting was off-putting, but now i think it's perfect since it's so different & unique, but i can understand why some people may think that brite lites was a weak track, but i think having a track like that balances out the more "rock" inspired tracks, since i think it goes with the vibe of mermaid motel & kill kill well, the album is very diverse, yet balanced, there's "surfy" cool-toned tracks like kill kill, mermaid motel, & brite lites, "rock" inspired tracks, like queen of the gas station, for k, pt. 2, jump, & raise me up (mississippi south), ballads like oh say can you see, pawn shop blues, & yayo), & "pop" inspired tracks like gramma (blue ribbon sparkler trailer heaven), put me in a movie, & smarty, i think it's structure & soundscape is so intriguing & maybe even a little genius :wink: 

i will say though, i am TOTALLY here for the existence of david kahne versions of trash magic, disco, & get drunk! :smile: :true: 

I honestly think that the disservice done to Brite Lites and what might be part of why I don't love it is the fact that it follows Pawn Shop Blues, which I think is a hard track to follow. Besides that, though, I've always thought the tracklist was genius. The way that each track flows perfectly into the next one is part of what makes the album what it is for me. That PMIAM to Smarty transition...literally seamless :trisha:.  AKA as a whole has so many smart little details through it's instrumentals, you have to listen to it multiple times to notice everything. 

The only reason I ever would want an AKA re-release would be to get some David Kahne bonus tracks that didn't make the cut. I know that Axl Rose Husband (studio version) and Ben (studio version) are sitting somewhere on that man's hard-drive and I would very much so like to hear them :true:

imageproxy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

I honestly think that the disservice done to Brite Lites and what might be part of why I don't love it is the fact that it follows Pawn Shop Blues, which I think is a hard track to follow. Besides that, though, I've always thought the tracklist was genius. The way that each track flows perfectly into the next one is part of what makes the album what it is for me. That PMIAM to Smarty transition...literally seamless :trisha:.  AKA as a whole has so many smart little details through it's instrumentals, you have to listen to it multiple times to notice everything. 

The only reason I ever would want an AKA re-release would be to get some David Kahne bonus tracks that didn't make the cut. I know that Axl Rose Husband (studio version) and Ben (studio version) are sitting somewhere on that man's hard-drive and I would very much so like to hear them :true:

i was actually watching the trailer park interview right now and i don't think i'll ever get enough of the lizzy grant era, especially the "aka" era, which i'd say starts with fall of 2007 - early 2008 where she was working with steven mertens & making beautiful, strange, melancholic surf noir songs, while also making demos for ldrakalg & working with david kahne, as well as early 2007 where she was working with her friends, making demos for aka songs, or working with arthur lynn, 2007-2008 are definitely my favorite years of lana's career, so mysterious, nostalgic, & beautiful :flutter: it's really interesting to think of certain songs and speculate when she recorded them & where she was, for example "4th of july" samples the early mix of put me in a movie so i would assume she recorded it in late 2007, so she was likely living in the trailer park, which just feels so evocative :flutter:

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i was actually watching the trailer park interview right now and i don't think i'll ever get enough of the lizzy grant era, especially the "aka" era, which i'd say starts with fall of 2007 - early 2008 where she was working with steven mertens & making beautiful, strange, melancholic surf noir songs, while also making demos for ldrakalg & working with david kahne, as well as early 2007 where she was working with her friends, making demos for aka songs, or working with arthur lynn, 2007-2008 are definitely my favorite years of lana's career, so mysterious, nostalgic, & beautiful :flutter:

It's definitely one of my favorite eras as well. I think it was because you could tell Lana was so excited to be making music at that time and she was first dipping her toes into the water. The fact that there's still so much we don't know about that point in time somewhat draws me to it too. If I could go back in time, I'd probably follow Lana on myspace in 2007. And the shoot she did with Chuck for the album is one of my favorites. I honestly feel like that's part of why I love songs like Black Bathing Suit and Dealer so much now because to me, they feel really reminiscent of that era. 

imageproxy.jpg

3 hours ago, athena said:

paradise is her worst album

not really an unpopular opinion

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

11 hours ago, Venice said:

I like them. Every time I hear crows or ravens outside, I now think of this song.