Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

On 11/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, regattasinthewind said:

Lust for Life is a great album with a terrible tracklist order 

Love to see some appreciation for such an amazing album of hers, but I actually really love the concept she executed for the tracklist - I don't think she's ever outright said this was her concept, but from what I can see, she was trying to divide the tracklist into two parts as if it were a double album of two 8-track records: "Lust" & "Life". It's clear that the first 8 tracks are all about the trials and tribulations of love and lust, while the latter 8 tracks are all sociopolitical or general reflections either of her own personal life or the world at large. Sort of like what Marina did with Love + Fear. Really the only change I would make is having the record open with 13 Beaches instead of Love. I think 13 Beaches as track 3 was really odd placement. & if not the opening track, I think 13 Beaches would actually make a great track 8 too as the opening monologue sample and the song overall makes a great little interlude and transition between the two sections of the record x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

2 hours ago, Doll Harlow said:

Carmen is a beautiful and interesting song and I don't get why it's so many people's least favorite from BTD.

Omg thank you! I was honestly shocked at how many people dislike Carmen!

For me, at least, it feels like one of the more intimate tracks on BTD that tells a story with a really clear direction. The imagery—even if repeated in other songs of hers—feels so intentional. 

Also, it’s rare that we see Lana refer to herself in third person (assuming it is indeed about herself) which is really refreshing 

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

11 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

Also, it’s rare that we see Lana refer to herself in third person (assuming it is indeed about herself) which is really refreshing 

i love carmen bc of the duality in the meaning of who/what "carmen" is

carmen doubles as a codename for lana herself as well as an addictive drug. sheer fucking brilliance

small-sq-lana-del-rey-ultraviolence.gife4d193ad6825522455102e1518efe3d6835b52da

1 hour ago, Elle said:

Love to see some appreciation for such an amazing album of hers, but I actually really love the concept she executed for the tracklist - I don't think she's ever outright said this was her concept, but from what I can see, she was trying to divide the tracklist into two parts as if it were a double album of two 8-track records: "Lust" & "Life". It's clear that the first 8 tracks are all about the trials and tribulations of love and lust, while the latter 8 tracks are all sociopolitical or general reflections either of her own personal life or the world at large. Sort of like what Marina did with Love + Fear. Really the only change I would make is having the record open with 13 Beaches instead of Love. I think 13 Beaches as track 3 was really odd placement. & if not the opening track, I think 13 Beaches would actually make a great track 8 too as the opening monologue sample and the song overall makes a great little interlude and transition between the two sections of the record x

This interpretation made appreciate the tracklist more. I end up forgetting about 'Lust' and 'Life' concepts entirely while listening through. It's a great concept though and I do almost wish she created two separate albums/EPs for this, as I find some of the transitions between the political and introspective songs jarring  

13 Beaches not being used an opener, especially following Honeymoon, will never make sense to me :trisha:

Just now, regattasinthewind said:

13 Beaches not being used an opener, especially following Honeymoon, will never make sense to me :trisha:

also considering her LA To The Moon tour opened with 13 Beaches…one could have only hoped:krylie:

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

i still lowk think Wildflower should have opened BB. it's just so powerful. those opening chords are so badass and , "here's the deal / i know you want to talk ab it" ICONIC

i also think IYLDWM and Dealer should have been sequences, the horn outro leads perfectly into the more alt-rock influences synths and drums on dealer for some reason

i be listening to it like

WW

BBS

Beautiful

Violets for Roses

IYLDWM

Dealer

Thunder

Nectar of the Gods

Living Legend

Text Book

Blue Banisters

Sweet Carolina

Spoiler

(no cherry blossom or arcadia bc i like to listen to them w/ chemtrails:kiss3:)

24 minutes ago, drugmunny said:

i still lowk think Wildflower should have opened BB. it's just so powerful. those opening chords are so badass and , "here's the deal / i know you want to talk ab it" ICONIC

I had the exact same thought!!!! While I love Text Book as an opener (the suspenseful pause, the mature spin on the “daddy issues” trope she was criticized for, etc), I love the idea of her opening with WFWF 

For one, WFWF is the epitome of BB to me: unfathomably personal, a concise response to the intrusiveness of critics, and a summary of her personal commitments with the record. 

I even think it could have made a great closer as a sort of self-revealing finale that ends “in flames.” I also just like the idea of the last word of Blue Banisters being “learn” to transition into the next record lol

Sylvia Plath 

2 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

COCC is her BEST SONG and I’m ready for this conversation 

it’s literally so good. I’ve seen SO many people (even outside of LB) have Chemtrails in their Top 5 songs

I never thought one of my favorite Lana songs would be something so soft and happy-sounding. We need another COCC

Sylvia Plath 

7 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

it’s literally so good. I’ve seen SO many people (even outside of LB) have Chemtrails in their Top 5 songs

I never thought one of my favorite Lana songs would be something so soft and happy-sounding. We need another COCC

The way it sounds so tranquil and serene and lullaby like but also has a sort of dark and twisted energy to it with the outro and bridge….HISTORY!!!!!

maybe we need Hack back after all. 

I don’t really want this to happen, but I’d be curious to see the end result of Lana working with someone like FINNEAS would be

I’m not a huge fan of the music he produces, but I can’t help but wonder what it would sound like with his music being more traditionally pop-oriented

Sylvia Plath 

1 hour ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

I don’t really want this to happen, but I’d be curious to see the end result of Lana working with someone like FINNEAS would be

I’m not a huge fan of the music he produces, but I can’t help but wonder what it would sound like with his music being more traditionally pop-oriented

hmmm.. now that u say that i think that would be really interesting. wish she would go for something like that and add her spin. i know he has said he was hugely influenced by the production of video games for his early work w/ billie so maybe it would be closer to that realm of alt-pop sound

10 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

im not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but i always feel the lana is pretty bad at putting together album tracklists - the flow is usually so off :crai:

I see this more in her newer albums though I thought COCC’s order was okay. NFR’s is atrocious 

sgopYhV.gif

4 hours ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

It would be great. Lana is dynamic and always comes up with something interesting no matter who she works with as a producer.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

18 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

im not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but i always feel the lana is pretty bad at putting together album tracklists - the flow is usually so off :crai:

Thanks for saying this! The only albums whose tracklists I totally like are COCC, AKA, Paradise and HM. As a person who cherish album experience over individual songs, this is the main reason why these are my favorite ones. I love the songs on UV, BB and NFR, but the tracklists and song choices always turn me off. 

21 hours ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I see this more in her newer albums though I thought COCC’s order was okay. NFR’s is atrocious 

not opening with MAC was a choice considering the final lines of the song are “are you ready for it?”, and also it would’ve meant the album opened with the words “you took my sadness out of context”, which seems very appropriate! love song after doin time was also a very bizarre choice :crossed:

the weirdest tracklist moment by far, tho, is diet mountain dew coming straight after video games. that was the originally “the trio coming straight after arcadia” moment :deadbanana:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

25 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

the weirdest tracklist moment by far, tho, is diet mountain dew coming straight after video games

I honestly consider BTD to have her strangest tracklisting. I mean, DMD after Video Games was a choice. And on top of that, there's also putting Radio in between Dark Paradise and Carmen. Honestly, her albums with the best tracklisting in my opinion are Chemtrails and AKA (except for Brite Lites right after Pawn Shop Blues lol)

imageproxy.jpg

32 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

not opening with MAC was a choice considering the final lines of the song are “are you ready for it?”, and also it would’ve meant the album opened with the words “you took my sadness out of context”, which seems very appropriate! love song after doin time was also a very bizarre choice :crossed:

the weirdest tracklist moment by far, tho, is diet mountain dew coming straight after video games. that was the originally “the trio coming straight after arcadia” moment :deadbanana:

4 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

I honestly consider BTD to have her strangest tracklisting. I mean, DMD after Video Games was a choice. And on top of that, there's also putting Radio in between Dark Paradise and Carmen. Honestly, her albums with the best tracklisting in my opinion are Chemtrails and AKA (except for Brite Lites right after Pawn Shop Blues lol)

well, here's my unpopular opinion... i think the born to die tracklist/flow is perfect :bebe: i never thought anything about diet mountain dew coming right after video games :bebe: 

i also like brite lites after pawn shop blues because of how strange it is... the entire flow of that album is weird, but i'd say that weird & offputting makes the album even better & really shows off it's cohesiveness despite it's variety of sounds & genres :dua: 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix