Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

'violet bent backwards over the grass' is such a beautiful record even if she doesn't sing on it. i connect so deeply to lana's poetry, both the deep poems & the cute ones. and her speaking voice is so soothing and i love the parts where she adds a little extra emphasis to some lines. and of clurse the instumentals are so atmospheric & lynchian. its just so precious to me. like an old friend. and i love the book too but there's just something so emotional about listening to the record. i will never be able to fully communicate how grateful i am for this album and i'm really looking forward to her next spoken word album especially if it has more longer unhinged poems bc those are really something special.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

9 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

If the critics were paid, then Lana had spent a lot of money in 2019:

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2019/

;)

But I think there's also a kind of bias in the critic's world, so if one influential critic hypes something, everyone else likes it. Maybe she was just lucky to be on the right wave (or she missed the wave with other albums).

i don’t think they were insinuating that they were paid to give it good reviews specifically lolol.

just that not everyone critic (that’s being paid to publish work for a magazine/website/etc) has good taste :et:

10 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

If the critics were paid, then Lana had spent a lot of money in 2019:

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2019/

;)

But I think there's also a kind of bias in the critic's world, so if one influential critic hypes something, everyone else likes it. Maybe she was just lucky to be on the right wave (or she missed the wave with other albums).

Haha, that’s not what I meant. I was just stating how every other record of hers deserved the same acclaim, and critics’ opinions (that they are paid to offer) are not really on the basis of anything. With Lana, it’s often in bad taste that they write “reviews”.

I agree that there was some sort of groupthink or bandwagon effect to an extreme where it was suddenly “cool” to like Lana Del Rey in 2019, but a widely-accepted cultural phenomenon to bash her in the years before. Thank you to @brandon for getting what I meant below lol 

23 minutes ago, brandon said:

i don’t think they were insinuating that they were paid to give it good reviews specifically lolol.

just that not everyone critic (that’s being paid to publish work for a magazine/website/etc) has good taste :et:

Honeymoon would have gotten similar level acclaim to NFR! if it was released afterwards, or at a further point in Lana’s career. 

Lana’s recent work has been either some of her best, or some of her worst. (In my opinion, of course). I’ll never actually hate anything she puts out, but I definitely feel like the peaks of Chemtrails and peaks of Blue Banisters could have been combined into an even better album without the weaker tracks. I believe this has happened because she is so quickly coming up with ideas and concepts for her albums in the last few years, that she doesn’t properly sift through the tracks and leave certain ones out, and create an album of perfection like she did when she released every 2 years. Not to say that Chemtrails and Blue Banisters aren’t perfect or good, but in my opinion they’re not on the same level as previous records and the short period of time between them and NFR! is clear in their execution.  

For example, in my opinion White Dress, Not All Who Wander Are Lost, Yosemite, Dance Till We Die, Black Bathing Suit, If You Lie Down With Me, Dealer, Thunder, Nectar Of The Gods, Living Legend, Cherry Blossom and Sweet Carolina are some of the best songs she’s released in her career. However, most of these are old songs that she’s left unchanged. And in my opinion, Text Book, Arcadia, Beautiful, Violets For Roses, Let Me Love You Like A Woman and Breaking Up Slowly while mostly good - are some of the most boring and uninteresting songs she’s released in her career. They’re good, not bad, but compared to her discography, they’re not interesting. I hope for the next album, she either does a full 180 in sound and goes in a new direction, or takes a break (not long, just a year or two) to refine and polish the album :agree:

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

On 12/17/2021 at 3:46 PM, West Coast said:

Both Ultraviolence and Honeymoon deserve as much, if not more recognition from the industry as NFR.

They undoubtedly deserve more recognition. I feel like UV is still more popular, still more talked about and I come across to countless edits where UV music ia being used. Ask an average alt girl their favorite song and they will probably say Brooklyn Baby. HM is so criminally underrated. My theory is that she chose singles that didn't represent album properly. 

22 hours ago, Honeyyoung said:

no
for Lana Del Rey 🥀 on Instagram: “LDR is stunning at the Pre-Grammys 2020  with her boyfriend Sean Larkin ✨😍” | Queen

Sorry but that dress looks like it's "designed" by a 6 year old girl only in bright colors. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

26 minutes ago, partymonster said:

first of all exclude breaking up slowly from your narratives… real sexy good vibe people get it

So true. Breaking Up Slowly is the vibe — I am convinced that people would love it if it were a solo track, which is sad because Nikki sounds gorgeous on it. 

6 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

So true. Breaking Up Slowly is the vibe — I am convinced that people would love it if it were a solo track, which is sad because Nikki sounds gorgeous on it. 

Nikki’s verse is my favourite part :toofunny: I don’t get why people hate it so much

4 minutes ago, partymonster said:

Nikki’s verse is my favourite part :toofunny: I don’t get why people hate it so much

because apparently it's cool & funny to hate nikki lane on lanaboards :tsk: 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

I wish she never changed WHF to Chemtrails, and kept the ranch/nature aesthetic over the “opulent” cover art and title that really is only there for one song… I know she had a lot of controversy and “White Hot Forever” would have been misinterpreted to hell and back but it really fits the album so much more. If she never posted her QFTC maybe we could’ve gotten this but it’s all a part of her journey I guess. Looking For America would have fit perfectly on WHF too

UbsOye5.png

On 12/11/2021 at 4:15 AM, Thunder Revenant said:

WTF is wrong with you.

First of all, this is not an "expression" you should be throwing around like that Mr. Edgelord.

Especially not, if you are obviously not at all getting what I was saying. A bit less meth and a bit more humility would really benefit you I guess

Lol mr edgelord. And yeah ur right and it totally has benefited me! A puff of two on your end wouldn’t hurt either. Plus ur using humility wrong.. not sure how me needing more humbleness has anything to do with my uncalled for comment of which I do apologize for as I did misread what u had originally wrote.. 

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, Sugar Venom said:

I wish she never changed WHF to Chemtrails, and kept the ranch/nature aesthetic over the “opulent” cover art and title that really is only there for one song… I know she had a lot of controversy and “White Hot Forever” would have been misinterpreted to hell and back but it really fits the album so much more. If she never posted her QFTC maybe we could’ve gotten this but it’s all a part of her journey I guess. Looking For America would have fit perfectly on WHF too

True, people definitely would have twisted it, especially since (I could be wrong and embarass myself here) the song was about Sean. Yet I still would have preferred it. It sounded so blissful and it was exactly what I wanted.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:31 AM, BlueINK said:

Exactly! I also hate it when adult women call themselves "girls" in their songs like.. no. But anyway, maybe that's just a language thing. In my native language no grown woman would call herself a girl, it would just sound wrong.

I'm 25 and I'm really just transitioning out of calling myself a "girl". I think it's obviously better to call us from 18 and above what we are- women, but I'm not gonna go and say that it's our own fault we get sexualised for calling ourselves girls if we still feel too young (relating to previous lolita comment, not yours). 

On 12/12/2021 at 8:16 AM, Gravitate said:

I understand, I think it's a language thing. It's not super uncommon for women to call themselves girls because it's mostly not seen as an age thing more just as gender. So a woman could still say "I am a girl" in English and it make sense and not be weird lol.

Sorry for going kind of off topic :noparty:

Oh yeah I'm off topic too, and a whole week late... but it probably is just a language thing. The way the English language uses "girls" really is just different. Tbh it probably is a cultural thing and condescending (e.g. calling grown women girls as if they still don't have the right to be respected as an adult human being....), but if we want to keep using the term "girls" I think it's not totally a bad or distasteful thing. I see nothing wrong with feeling young and wanting to remain like your youthful self. 

6 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I'm 25 and I'm really just transitioning out of calling myself a "girl". I think it's obviously better to call us from 18 and above what we are- women, but I'm not gonna go and say that it's our own fault we get sexualised for calling ourselves girls if we still feel too young. 

as weird as it kinda sounds when you really think about it, i think the reason why women call themselves "girls" in music because it just sounds like a more appealing word than "woman", "woman" sounds a bit formal & girl sounds more "cutesie" & maybe relatable to younger audiences, & it just sounds more "casual", if that makes sense? i can see why it's a little weird when the singer is in fact a woman, especially if she's older, at the end of they day i don't think it's something to think too much about because it's just song lyrics, "girl" is also very easy to rhyme which is probably why it's used way more often, and lana is a girl, if you thinking of girl in the sense of "female", i'm still quite young (above 18) but i still think of myself as a "girl" :whatever2:

hopefully this made sense :bebe: 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

as weird as it kinda sounds when you really think about it, i think the reason why women call themselves "girls" in music because it just sounds like a more appealing word than "woman", "woman" sounds a bit formal & girl sounds more "cutesie" & maybe relatable to younger audiences, if that makes sense? i can see why it's a little weird especially when the singer is in fact a woman, at the end of they day i don't think it's something to think too much about because it's just song lyrics, girl is also very easy to rhyme which is probably why it's used way more often, and lana is a girl, if you thinking of girl in the sense of "female", i'm still quite young (above 18) but i still think of myself as a "girl" :whatever2:

hopefully this made sense :bebe: 

That's not weird at all because it's true! Also, when someone says "woman" in a song, the media expects that to mean whatever she's saying must be representative for all women, which is why there's such a difference in Lana saying girls in MTWBT vs woman in HIADTFAWLMTH. 

One of the worst criticisms I’ve ever heard about Lana’s music is that “it all sounds the same.” I honestly can’t imagine any song from UV being on Honeymoon and those albums were like a year apart. I feel like all her albums are super different from one another in the production and meaning. I get she has some recurring phrases and imagery but like.. Lust For Life and Chemtrails sound the same? Cmon now :scoff:

Edit: Now realizing this is the unpopular opinions thread. Probably not unpopular sorry

giphy.gif 

1 minute ago, Gravitate said:

One of the worst criticisms I’ve ever heard about Lana’s music is that “it all sounds the same.” I honestly can’t imagine any song from UV being on Honeymoon and those albums were like a year apart. I feel like all her albums are super different from one another in the production and meaning. I get she has some recurring phrases and imagery but like.. Lust For Life and Chemtrails sound the same? Cmon now :scoff:

Edit: Now realizing this is the unpopular opinions thread. Probably not unpopular sorry

anybody who's said this HAS NOT listened to her music, & i seriously believe that, there's no way you could actually delve into your discography & think that all of her music sounds the same, people also say that because they're all "sad" or they're all about the same things (which also isn't true) even though a lot of other singers are the exact same way, they have a certain style of music & they sing about a lot of the same things, it's just another thing they say to criticize her :tsk: