Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

8 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I am all for sensual art, which goes back to the dawn of recorded time, and the entire southern European approach to sex, relationships, and art, but one slice of that pie is abuse, exploitation, harassment, and all other negative, intrusive forms of approach to sexuality, and in a world where people are definitely it all civil and respectful to others, we have to take that ‘bad’ with the good. Laws help, but they’re always ‘after the fact’ of base human nature, which is never going to be eradicated. 

Certainly, responsibility starts with the individual, in this case, Lana. She can’t argue that she can show her breasts provocatively but then say, “There’s only one acceptable response from my public regarding my revealing my breasts, and that’s one of appreciation and respect.” No. People are going to act in any number of ways, which they have the right to as long as those responses remain within the law. If they want to yell out, ‘Great tits, babe!’, or worse, we may cringe, but it’s their right to speak freely. Middle class American decorum and ‘nice’ values are never going to be embraced by a great portion of the world’s population. 

I agree with this, especially in the way that you acknowledge the reality of human response. And I think you’re spot-on about how certain sociopolitical doctrines are never going to be fully legitimized by the public as we’re a divisive population. I WISH things could be ideal, and that’s what I was expressing, but I appreciate how you ground this discussion back into the real world application. The best we can do is adapt ourselves to yield the results that we want, regardless of whether or not that’s the most ideal thing. :whatever2:

6 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I agree with this, especially in the way that you acknowledge the reality of human response. And I think you’re spot-on about how certain sociopolitical doctrines are never going to be fully legitimized by the public as we’re a divisive population. I WISH things could be ideal, and that’s what I was expressing, but I appreciate how you ground this discussion back into the real world application. The best we can do is adapt ourselves to yield the results that we want, regardless of whether or not that’s the most ideal thing. :whatever2:

Thank you. Yes, I think the best we can do is try to remove ourselves from individuals who have proven themselves to be coarse, crude, exploitive, intrusive, and disrespectful. I think this is what most of us do, or attempt to do, the world over. But the problem continues, so in a sense we’re just burying our heads in the sand. As a society, we can try to educate and civilize people via education in all its forms, but as we know, some people cannot be taught civility, people that are sociopaths and psychopaths, or just your garden variety thug that likes intimidating, bullying, and harassing others. From such people, you’re never going to get a respectful response to the erotic or sensual; everything to them is boiled down to the lowest common denominator. 

I agree with both the people who are put off, and those who are titillated, with the "fuck me to death" line. However, the LDR apologist in me wants to suggest that what LDR is tapping into is the rather strange-bedfellow relationship between sex and death. Namely,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_petite_mort

I'm sort of familiar with it from some horror literature I read, which can be erotic at times (not familiar from real life, lol). FMTD line does indeed shock me, but the line that comes after shocks me even more: "Love me until I love myself". Well, ok.  She obviously doesn't read (or like) Ayn Rand, and the significant other seems to have replaced God in these existential times. BTW, if God exists (or is at least sentient in the sense I am), It loves her. If I believe in It that way, I believe that. 

As for her breasts ... she's been rather creative with them (e.g., that picture where she inverts the concept of bikini), but she's also been rather diverse in her public physical portrayal and fashion sense, which is a good role model for those who value diversity (IMHUO). 

3 hours ago, slang said:

I agree with both the people who are put off, and those who are titillated, with the "fuck me to death" line. However, the LDR apologist in me wants to suggest that what LDR is tapping into is the rather strange-bedfellow relationship between sex and death. Namely,

The tunnel is the threshold from the ordinary world to the reveal of the heart. This is an esoteric, not exoteric, death.

3 hours ago, Motherdelreyy said:

Ultraviolence is Lanas worst album 

:wtf2:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

8 hours ago, Vertimus said:

I don’t care for the ‘fuck me to death’ line at all for a lot of reasons—it’s just tacky, at the very least—but as far as her breasts are concerned, Lana herself has been parading them all over social media for half a year or more, so there’s no one to blame but her. And the new album graphics even have that illustration of her with bare breasts. So if we’re complaining about it, we have to start at the source. 

be f*cking serious  ... "parading them around" first of all where does that even come from? sometimes you see her breasts in photos/selfies cause newsflash she has them????

of course when she wears certain tops you're bound to see some cleavage etc... who cares???  Breasts aren't inherently sexual anyway 

also even if she was straight up Britney-posting her breasts-  IDC, it doesn't mean being gross is justified.

"No one to blame but her" nah ill blame those creeps anyway 

3 hours ago, DeadAgainst said:

The tunnel is the threshold from the ordinary world to the reveal of the heart. This is an esoteric, not exoteric, death.

The "tunnel" is also a constraint by men? "Handmade beauty sealed up by two man-made walls". Also, orgasms are exoteric, while death, by its very nature, is esoteric.

BTW, in Wikipedia-ing some of your terms, I've seemed to have found a Rosetta Stone for your latest post in the Paradise and the Esoteric Origin of mankind Thread. I mean I was immediately struck by the picture of the "tree of life represented by the Kabbalah" on the right (of the first link), which reminded of that (esoteric, as in puzzling) post. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_esotericism

and that has a link to here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_life_(Kabbalah)

The problem with esotericism, for me, is basically: TLDR; I mean that as a serious constructive criticism. I like exoteric axioms (even about esoteric topics), because you can at least read axioms fast and know very quickly what you're arguing about, and/or what conclusions, one is attempting to derive from the axioms. Both philosophy and mysticism need to be more axiomatic, imo. For instance, I can say something like this axiom: "The universe loves repetition and variation", and some people (e.g., me) will think that's plausibly true. However, if I accept that as true, with some more work, I can derive an objective morality (e.g., say "objectively" what I think good and evil mean). It doesn't matter whether I can actually do this, but this would be an example of how much faith I have in saying something axiomatically (and simply) and then using general reasoning processes to get to interesting conclusions.

BTW, Hotel California and Nillson's Don't Forget Me (both exoterically referenced in Ocean Blvd) are pretty creepy songs too. They seem to have lots of death/life/existence references in them, but it's too late for me (ooh, which "late" did I mean?) to think about such things.

I don’t really get the discourse 💀 I’ll start by saying I am a man but I do consider myself a feminist-I don’t think you can apply very left leaning feminism to Lanas music because even she has stated or implied mutiple times she doesn’t identify with aspects of feminism besides liberation and basic equality-the cover is a homage to pin ups fgs  so she does like tapping into aspects of the male gaze whether you find this reductive or not. There’s a lot of views about men being attracted to women that I just can’t wrap my head around-the people straight up objectifying her breasts on the site are in the minority and have been called out(though it doesn’t stop them) but others(I assume some may be women) are just calling her sexy which really isn’t deterring or detrimental to her.

Again, I get that this could play into a larger picture or view of women but we are humans and attraction is a biological imperative so as long as it’s not a consistent focus on how she looks, I just don’t see how it involves Lana.

6 hours ago, burthday kake said:

be f*cking serious  ... "parading them around" first of all where does that even come from? sometimes you see her breasts in photos/selfies cause newsflash she has them????

of course when she wears certain tops you're bound to see some cleavage etc... who cares???  Breasts aren't inherently sexual anyway 

also even if she was straight up Britney-posting her breasts-  IDC, it doesn't mean being gross is justified.

"No one to blame but her" nah ill blame those creeps anyway 

Maybe you missed the photo she posted on IG where she's wearing some sort of crop top with the bottoms of her breasts exposed? It's Lana who seems to be reveling in her breasts lately (which do seem to have gotten larger as she's matured), and people are not all going to respond to what they might interpret as exhibitionism in a civil, respectful, 'Woke,' or politically correct way.

Breasts are not inherently sexual in terms of biological function, but women's breasts are a large part of what make women sexually attractive to others, certainly including heterosexual and bisexual men and lesbians/gay women/bisexual women.

Large buttocks are not inherently sexual either, but, like female breasts and male muscles, they have carried an erotic charge throughout recorded history. 120 years ago, even 'well-bred' middle class and upper middle class American WASP women wore bustles to highlight and exaggerate their backsides, and in the 1940s and 1950s, young American women often wore 'falsies' or specially padded bras to enhance their figures if they felt their breasts were not large enough.

If all of this is merely due to Madison Avenue and 'the male gaze,' then why, conversely, have women been drawn to taller, rough-hewn, and well-built men throughout history? The French high court knew nothing of Madison Avenue, nor did the Britsh gentry in the first half of the 19th century. The idea of beauty has been with us since ancient Egypt, and probably existed before. Everywhere anthropologists travel, they find people, no matter how isolated from the rest of the world, adorning, decorating, stylizing, and enhancing their appearances through whatever is available, including tattooing and painting their bodies. 

Are we really arguing about Lana showing her breasts? Can I ask why? Lmfaoooo y’all are too much! Let this woman live please. When you think about it, she’s one of the least problematic pop stars despite all the controversy surrounding some of her one liners.

There’s pop stars putting their whole azz/pussc lips on display and we’re complaining because she’s been showing her breasts. Looooordddttt. She just feels sexy let her be happy. 

5 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I don’t really get the discourse 💀 I’ll start by saying I am a man but I do consider myself a feminist-I don’t think you can apply very left leaning feminism to Lanas music because even she has stated or implied mutiple times she doesn’t identify with aspects of feminism besides liberation and basic equality-the cover is a homage to pin ups fgs  so she does like tapping into aspects of the male gaze whether you find this reductive or not. There’s a lot of views about men being attracted to women that I just can’t wrap my head around-the people straight up objectifying her breasts on the site are in the minority and have been called out(though it doesn’t stop them) but others(I assume some may be women) are just calling her sexy which really isn’t deterring or detrimental to her.

Again, I get that this could play into a larger picture or view of women but we are humans and attraction is a biological imperative so as long as it’s not a consistent focus on how she looks, I just don’t see how it involves Lana.

Right like what is this discourse? I really think some of these fans critiques about Lana showing her breasts may be rooted in fat phobia, because no one had anything negative to say when she was pretty much naked for that GQ spread in 2012/13.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a woman in this day and age exposing her breasts like in the photos Lana took with Neil for this album. It’s very subtle to me imo. And clearly she feels confident which is a great thing! Why are we shaming her?! 

If you feel uncomfortable or disgusted by seeing those pictures, I promise it is a personal problem. 

Some y’all really showing you’re hardcore Conservatives lol 

5 minutes ago, This Feeling said:

Are we really arguing about Lana showing her breasts? Can I ask why? Lmfaoooo y’all are too much! Let this woman live please. When you think about it, she’s one of the least problematic pop stars despite all the controversy surrounding some of her one liners.

There’s pop stars putting their whole azz/pussc lips on display and we’re complaining because she’s been showing her breasts. Looooordddttt. She just feels sexy let her be happy. 

Read through the thread. We're not complaining. We're discussing, and it started with the "fuck me to death" line and how some are reacting to it. 

1 minute ago, Vertimus said:

Read through the thread. We're not complaining. We're discussing, and it started with the "fuck me to death" line and how some are reacting to it. 

The lyric is typical Lana. What’s wrong with it? She’s written similar lyrics. Fuck It I Love You? What’s the issue now? I really don’t get it.

1 minute ago, This Feeling said:

The lyric is typical Lana. What’s wrong with it? She’s written similar lyrics. Fuck It I Love You? What’s the issue now? I really don’t get it.

Look, not everyone is going to agree with you about everything, or anyone else. There's thousands of members here, and they have thoughts and interpretations of their own. 

1 minute ago, This Feeling said:

People making this one lyric into a discussion on sexual violence and the mistreatment of women…I promise them it’s not that deep- it seems like there’s two flip sides on this discussion right now, we all know Lana would flip if this was directed to her on IG

I don’t like the lyric though