Rate Lana Boards

71 members have voted

1. 1. How fast does the site load for you

• Very fast
    • Fast
    • Not slow or fast
    • Slow
    • Very slow
  2. 2. How often is the site down for you? (Please leave comments with more details)

• It's down all the time!
    • It's down sometimes
    • It's only been down once or twice
    • It's never been down!
  3. 3. If we were to add premium membership, would you be interested?

• Yes
    • No

I can see how it would be hard for new members to feel welcome here sometimes. It's like they have to post a lot right off the bat for people to get to know them well enough to take them seriously. And if a newbie comes in with both barrels blazing, being generally offensive or especially if they're rude to a long-time member, they're really not given much of a chance to redeem themselves. :( I find it disappointing but understandable when regular members react this way. I've been more dismayed when I see mods joining in the piling-on. But usually when that happens, they're reacting to someone who's been truly obnoxious and unwilling to change.

But if more casual new members are finding the atmosphere to be intimidating as well, then maybe it's time for the mods to discuss among themselves how they want to go forward?

That said, I think this fansite does attract more awkward-seeming, stream-of-consciousness conversation than maybe other fansites do. Part of it is that there's so many people involved in the discussion. But part of it is just a personality style too. I think if you give us a chance, you'll see there's an inner logic to some of our responses even if they seem random at first glance :) But if you don't want to have to analyze it that much, and prefer more straight-forward dialogue, I can see how that would be frustrating.

I think other people's comments above are right, that you're going to have a better chance of finding straight-forward dialogue in personal messages one-on-one, or tinychats with fewer people. But I think if you post around LanaBoards long enough, eventually you'll start to feel more at home. I hope so, at least! Remember, just because someone doesn't "like" your post or comment on it directly, that doesn't mean you're not being heard and appreciated. (Sometimes I feel like I have to restrain myself from "liking" everything in sight! :D) There's just a lot going on sometimes.

I hope you'll stick around, Nickster :)

I really like the idea that the mods do need to have some communication on how to make Lana Boards a more friendly environment. :)

And don't worry, I'm definitely going to stick around. Sure, I may lurk a lot around these parts, but maybe as the forum grows I'll have more opportunities to post. I'm just glad I've been able to use this thread to express my true feeling of the current state of Lana Boards.

MkWI4Ns.png

I think it's sometimes hard for 'newbies' to stay for very long, seeing as sometimes they might feel they don't fit in with members who have been here longer and who have already have made their place in the forum. There's always been the 'n00b' aspect, and the disliking of newbs. Imo, here it's mainly because newbies have the tendency to post threads and posts that can be seen as 'useless'' or stupid.. Remember Hovag? He could of been a very popular member by now if it wasn't for that 'useless' thread he made. I know outside of here there's a lot of dislike towards LanaBoards. Saying that people can be assholes here, but most of it is because of leaks and the 'invasion of Lana's privacy' or whatever. But I can see how the community can come off as hostile to some and some things should change. 

VyIsfwC.jpg

wouldbang/10

The whole board? Man, why does the A-TL call me the slut? 

---

On the topic of the original intention of this thread, my experience has been the site mostly loading fast but every once in a while everything will load incredibly slow and sometimes not even finish loading entirely. The site is not usually down although in the last week or so it's been down a good amount. 

---

As for the conversation that has sprung up here, i think there seems to be a bit of a schism--there's a wide gulf between those with a ton of posts (the most active users) and then...everyone else. So it can get pretty clique-ish, which i don't like, but i admit to contributing to it simply because it's hard not to when a certain rapport and banter has been long established. Amongst active posters, i would say it's quite the opposite of what Nickster is saying about the atmosphere being impersonal--things often get so far away from anything Lana related that sometimes it seems we're only talking about personal things, or inside jokes, or just engaging in general tomfoolery, the Fortress of Bullshit, if you will. But i can see how that aspect of this forum, which tends to be a big part, can be off-putting to some people, especially new members. I don't think this is an unfriendly place, but things have occasionally turned in that direction. 

One of the recurring causes of unfriendliness has been toward certain kinds of new members. There has been a tendency here with new people to register and immediately start making several threads before checking to see what has already been covered. Additionally, i've seen many new people start off posting in a brash style that seems to be an attempt to get noticed. This seems inevitable, but i don't see how that sort of thing is going to ever be received well. No, i don't think anyone should be shot down and made to feel like shit for starting redundant threads that cover very basic information. But this goes both ways--there is also a rudeness to coming in to a new place without making any effort to familiarize yourself with the way the place runs and just asserting yourself however you see fit. I think both sides can handle themselves better in these cases. Differences in opinion can be handled better as well. Although, i think in general, we are nowhere near as bad as that sort of thing can get. I think, when it comes down to it, this place is very mature and mostly civil. There is a lot of sass here though. I’m not into that scene, but it’s a big part of this community, so i’ve come to accept it and i try to not pay it much attention. 

One thing i think absolutely needs to happen--and this applies anywhere, whether on the internet or “in real life"--is that if someone “prominent” (i.e. they have a lot of posts, or they’ve been here since the beginning, or they know a lot of information) is being a dick, they should be called out on it. There’s no excuse to let shitty behavior slide simply because the shitty behavior is coming from someone who is “somebody” rather than a "nobody." We're all nobodies :)  

Ultimately, i think there is a strong sense of community here, it just gets splintered into smaller communities within the main one. And, in the end, even though we're all brought together by the same interest, each of us is here for different aspects of said interest, and i think that’s actually what makes any place like this thrive. I say embrace the disparity and multitudes. I don’t think it’s hopeless for new people. Look at ataraxia and lola, they were once new and now they are two of the most active and welcoming/accomodating people here. 

Oh, one more thing...i, too, have never seen anyone correct anyone's grammar here, at least not seriously, so i'm not sure where that came from. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Guest GhettoDrugStarHooker

Monicker you said it so well! and in relation to the grammar I will rephrase it they made a remark about my word choices and said "you should get a dictionary" or something along those lines. And they then acted superior towards me and I was like wtf? why you so mean

Anyway I havented said these things which is truly borthering me about Lanaboards and many people are suggesting this so Ill just say it

The moderators/forum staff/ people with speical benefits don't seem to want to help people and sometimes seem the most mean people on here (because of their postions or whatever) and they have an air of self supeiority about them.

The forum jobs dont seem to be given out very fairly and some people only got it because of their popularity or other reasons which didnt fit the reasons for being a staff member ect.

A helpful post I made hasn't been stickied but im not sure if I should ask for this and I just sometimes feel under-apprciated in the hard work I did setting up the Lana Home Made video directory but this is probably my fault but Im not sure even if I asked it to be stickied my requests would be ignored or told no.

Theres other things probably but i cant think off them.

The moderators/forum staff/ people with speical benefits don't seem to want to help people and sometimes seem the most mean people on here (because of their postions or whatever) and they have an air of self supeiority about them.

The forum jobs dont seem to be given out very fairly and some people only got it because of their popularity or other reasons which didnt fit the reasons for being a staff member ect.

Thats bull. All of the moderators registered within the first week of the launch, (with the exception of ataraxia) They made Lanaboards, without them I doubt we'd be as big as we are now. 

As for the stickies, you've never PM'd me about this, have you PMd any of the other mods? Or were you just going to keep it to yourself. 

tumblr_mxx8avPa6n1s4it03o1_500.gif

Guest GhettoDrugStarHooker

Thats bull. All of the moderators registered within the first week of the launch, (with the exception of ataraxia) They made Lanaboards, without them I doubt we'd be as big as we are now. 

As for the stickies, you've never PM'd me about this, have you PMd any of the other mods? Or were you just going to keep it to yourself. 

Not all of what I said is 'bull' or whatever.  And I don't PM you because you have only answered me once and what I said about moderators being unfreindly is true and ill pm you the link now then and i loved this forum and im just telling you what I think and other people because It be nice to have more members and more back.

Not all of what I said is 'bull' or whatever.  And I don't PM you because you have only answered me once and what I said about moderators being unfreindly is true and ill pm you the link now then and i loved this forum and im just telling you what I think and other people because It be nice to have more members and more back.

You're trying to disrespect people you don't even know.

tumblr_mxx8avPa6n1s4it03o1_500.gif

are you chinese?

Yes

What, find me a place with a more comprehensive amount of topics involving Lana. Everything there is to talk about, there's a thread for.

Not always a good thing :hillary:

I get your point actually... apologizes

You are a flop if u didn't see all the discussion tbh, check your facts. You're welcome  :smokes3:

Love everything but the fact that I'm missing the tinychats is killing me  :icant:

And about the premium membership  :judgingu:

I expressed myself in a wrong way, sorry... What I really meant is that the "Hi, I'm new" topics are always (at least when I log in) showing up first, as if they were actually relevant stuff... I thought it would be like GGD tbh, sorry if anyone got offended by the way  :ohno:  sorry for the use of "flop" word, anyways you didn't have to be rude (undelined phrase)    :(

slow, it's only been down once or twice,  :lanasrs: please no

You have made 3 posts, I don't think you can really judge yet. The forum has 64,262 posts at the moment, those aren't all from introduction threads. You should maybe read Lanalysis first to get to know something about Lana, her lyrics, her relationships etc first because we talk about that a lot, even outside that thread. We also discuss the latest news about Lana and lately we have talked more and more about current events which can be quite interesting as well. Maybe you should also participate in a Tinychat sometime to get to know some of the users more and to see ataraxia's/Maru's/Billy's sexy face. Most of the topics here are about Lana or offtopic conversation, not just welcoming new members.

Topics to check out:

Lana Thoughts:

Latest News:

Conversation Area:

I have 3 posts made (4 now), but I'm always lurking through the "recent topics"   :facepalm:

I think I have to dig on Lana Daily itself, I was lazy, I was scared I could not satisfy my Lana's thirst   :ohno:

please forgive me    :(

btw, thanks for making it easier with the links    :icant:

You guys think lanaboards is a rude/abrasive community? Spend five minutes on 4chan. Many of the boards are racist, misogynistic and intentionally provocative. There's zero sense of community and no one really likes anyone tbh. I'll level with you all here and say I think we need to adjust our expectations. While this is a forum full of many good and intelligent people, that's just what it is, an internet forum. It's so easy to log on and post exactly what you think for a good half hour because there's no consequences. The worst that can happen to you is that you get banned which isn't a real life consequence at all. Basically, people can be real dicks when they know that they can get away with it. The fact that the majority of this forum (and i do believe it's the majority, mods and casual users alike) are so forthcoming and civil is kind of incredible to me.

I'm actually kind of hurt and guilty to read so many of you don't feel welcomed here. I feel very close to a lot of people on this forum, I like a bunch of you more than I like some of my irl friends and would much prefer to fangurl over lana or just generally talk shit with you then get dressed and go to uni ew what is that? I try my best to be welcoming and show love to all of you and I ask nothing but the same in return. That being said, it can't be expected that you'll join this community and become insta-bestfriends with everyone. It takes time. I didn't start an actual rapport building PM with someone until almost a month after I joined.

My best advice for those of you wishing to be more immersed in the community is to get involved. Join a tinychat, send someone a random PM, post something thought provoking or new. You could even do a yayo and show us ur butt six times. You need to do a little more than just post one comment per thread. If you put yourself out there I guarantee there's going to be someone ready to talk to you.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I mean it can get a bit cliquey so I can understand how new members could be like ...wtf is this.. but I mean it's just an online community so there's no need to feel alienated.  Some people get their feelings hurt and then they come right back. (sly dig 2 myself)

I do think we have to be careful with how many uh... wanky? topics we have here. They r interesting 2 discuss but I feel like they always end up w/ an argument / someone upset

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Lana Boards is the most welcoming forum that I have ever been to (and I have been to a lot of ones within the last 6 years), and the amount of people here with the desire of building up a community and helping others is overwhelming when you have visited worst places before.

How come people don't feel welcomed? Most of the most active users welcome you as soon as you arrive and tell you that you can PM them at anytime (like I always do) and so on. When you post interesting things and stuff that sounds just right you'll probably get a lot of likes in your post. People always comment on status updates.

Obviously, I haven't talked to tons of users here, but 99% of the ones that I directed posts to replied to me friendly, all my PMs have always been responded and so have my questions. I guess there might be a difference between being shy/don't posting much and being in an unwelcoming community.

Im throwing in my actual opinion here:D

I love LanaBoards and I've said it before. I love all of you! I might not know all of you that well, or speak to you very much but i still love you and think of you as my friends. When I first joined i didnt really know what to do with myself tbh, but i soon got into the flow of things. I can gladly say because of the friendly people here:) Ive never been anywhere like Lanaboards, sure people disagree with eachother sometimes but other than that everyone is so cute and sweet with eachother:) And i love the fact I can tell you guys my Lana confessions and Lana Del dreams and stuff and nobody judges, because we all do it haha. And I love that when I post my shitty cover art, people are so polite about it!

Aw man, I love you all. I dont care how old you are, where you come from, what language you speak or anything. You're my friends and I'm happy to say that.

:aw:  :smile2:

lH7Zs6V.gif      

I do know there are plenty of nice people here. I've come in contact with some of them around the boards. It's just that the obnoxious and rude people are more prominent here than the nicer people. And on other forums I've been to, they keep the flamebait/rude comments/attitudes down to a lower tone, while some of the senior members here at Lana Boards just endorse it all, like SitarHero has been doing the entire time I've been trying to prove a point. 

Like I said, I know this place will grow and become a nicer place to visit, so I plan on lurking around the boards until that point.

I really don't think I'm THE example of "senior member endorsing shittiness" and if I am please find me some examples outside of the thread and call them out. As that guy with the most posts on the forum, I felt offended by your generalization so I ran with it but I'd much rather converse about the issue now, so please forgive that.

I suppose we are cliquey at times, but it's not a hard clique to get into. Some people I've known since last May with lanadelrey.fm and others I met here pretty recently and became friends with because they were active and offered good conversation. I don't know, to say we're all just talking and not conversing stings because I feel I've met a lot of friends here.

I expressed myself in a wrong way, sorry... What I really meant is that the "Hi, I'm new" topics are always (at least when I log in) showing up first, as if they were actually relevant stuff... I thought it would be like GGD tbh, sorry if anyone got offended by the way  :ohno:  sorry for the use of "flop" word, anyways you didn't have to be rude (undelined phrase)    :(

Sorry, I use to get very defensive over thing, everything cool, right?  :kiss:  

tumblr_nqgjv3rg7p1si48w3o1_540.gif

I have been on many forums throughout the years, and there was one in particular which had gotten so ugly that I couldn't but leave it. I think I know the differences between music forums, but I hadn't seen something like LanaBoards before. In fact, I was so happy and overwhelmed with it all that I created this thread shortly after I joined. 

I have to admit, though, that in the beginning I was pretty intimidated by the prominent posters, especially in tinychat (still blushing), because they seemed so awesome and larger-than-life great if that makes sense. They are, but after spending more time on here I think that applies to everybody else, too. LanaBoards is a wonderful mixture of people and thoughts, and this is one out of two forums in which I have observed such a strong sense of community. That doesn't mean that there are posts that I don't agree with, but no matter how heated up those discussions have gotten sometimes, and how much I disagreed, I think those conversations were still performed on a level of respect and mutual acceptation. 

As for the thread's actual question: LanaBoards has been down maybe once or twice for me. I think sometimes the site froze while I was writing an extremely long post (I had a slight aneurism when that occured) but other than that the site loads pretty fast. I don't know where the difference is between fast and very fast, but I think it's just fast. ( :toofunny:

I've been a member for a rough two months now and sometimes I do wish that I had discovered the forum earlier. As DUKE pretty much summarized very nicely when you're new to a community all you ever wish for is acceptance. I easily get quite shy and awkward especially since English isn't my first language. I constantly feel the need to keep up on comprehending most of the things being said here (even though it often isn't that difficult. It is however hard to pinpoint whatever's being sarcastic, genuine and/or internal sometimes, but I can live with that  :tea:)

I recently made the choice to support the forum because I strongly believe that I finally found home. It's just such a great atmosphere around here. And yes, you'll almost always see me finish my paragraphs with an emoticon. I feel so naked and exposed otherwise  :crossed:

They have no idea what it's like to seek safety in other people - for home to be wherever you post your thread.

EQFO7rX.png

There are two things I want to say:

1. Your forum experience is what you make of it, plain and simple. 

2. I noticed a couple of members referring to "senior members"/"prominent members"/moderators being poor examples or endorsing this sort of bad behaviour... Now that we're on the subject, I'd like to take the opportunity to say that I am aware that I am the most guilty of this and I apologize for my behaviour. Ever since I came back, I've been trying to temper this... and like to think I've been largely successful? :ohno:  If you notice me slipping back into old habits, don't hesitate to call me out!  :creep: 

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Well, there's not much more I can tell you guys... All of my opinions have already been put out in the open. Saying anything else would just be redundant. I appreciate everyone chiming in with how much Lana Boards really means to them, and I definitely respect that, but I don't know if I can become a committed member of the forum until the friendliness seen in the last page of this thread can be seen throughout the entire forum. So until I can notice a massive change in the overall environment of the forum, I'm just going to continue to casually post.That's all the more I can say on the subject at the moment.

MkWI4Ns.png

I've felt this same way. I've lurked around the forum since it opened, but rarely post. It doesn't feel like we're a community, but rather just a bunch of random strangers screaming their opinions.

Well, I mean... that's your fault. If you don't make the effort to stick around, post and become involved in a conversation, of course everyone will be a stranger to you. That's kind of how it works, no?

I've been to many a forum and I can assure you that our mods are some of the nicest, most humble mods you'll ever come in contact with. :biblio:

2. I noticed a couple of members referring to "senior members"/"prominent members"/moderators being poor examples or endorsing this sort of bad behaviour... Now that we're on the subject, I'd like to take the opportunity to say that I am aware that I am the most guilty of this and I apologize for my behaviour. Ever since I came back, I've been trying to temper this... and like to think I've been largely successful? :ohno:  If you notice me slipping back into old habits, don't hesitate to call me out!  :creep: 

I'm guilty of this as well, specifically in my treatment of pinup. In my (our?) defense, it's all facetious, though I guess it's illogical to think new members would catch onto this immediately.

Sorry? :defeated:

tumblr_nbdq8rb2Ps1qz85zpo1_400.png