Sign in to follow this  
JhnMabius

Ours

What do you guys think about this band? I found them thanks to Lana, and I was surprised at what I found. How in the world aren't this guys famous? That is some quality rock music! Their first album Sour is epic, and Jimmy Gnecco's voice is completely out of this world... If you haven't heard them listen to "Fallen souls".. :)

PD: Is Justin Bieber a lesbian or transex? I can't figure it out! :(

What do you guys think about this band? I found them thanks to Lana, and I was surprised at what I found. How in the world aren't this guys famous? That is some quality rock music! Their first album Sour is epic, and Jimmy Gnecco's voice is completely out of this world... If you haven't heard them listen to "Fallen souls".. :)

PD: Is Justin Bieber a lesbian or transex? I can't figure it out! :(

I'm a little perplexed that Jimmy Gnecco's openning for LDR's US tour (apparently the first show is tonite) has not made the news section yet.  I can't help but think that's related to your question of why he or the band OURS is not way more famous. OURS sounds different than Gnecco alone, but they both sound very striking (I've been sampling on youtube and spotify). The quality of the songs are good, although the variety of styles is not as impressive, though I still don't know a lot of their work yet. As you point out, Gnecco's voice is extremely impressive compared to other successful and established male artists (e.g., at least as good as Timberlake or Mars, though not similar to them). So why is he not as popular as them or let's say Ed Sheeran who might be more comparable on superficial dimensions? The type of emotion expressed by Gnecco is a bit more intense than people can take as casually consumed music would be the obvious guess. 

I really like Distorted Lullabies record. It's so dark and full of emotions. It's a perfect winter record, I think.

I can't get over Jimmy Gnecco's Brian Molko look phase. Just compare their looks ... also, the beginning also sounds sorta similar:

i am nothing and should be everything

Ours is apparently going to have a live stream performance tommorrow. I got the youtube link from Jimmy Gnecco's Facebook (where it was announced June 8th). I've grown a lot fonder of this group since my post in this thread above. Also I wonder if JG remembers (or knows) that it's Lana's birthday tomorrow.

It's hard to keep up with so many new releases happening, but Ours (not to be confused with the French group "Bear") is back with their *self-titled* album (released last May 14th). While maybe not surpassing earlier Ours (except in length, and perhaps production, which is good enough to get most of their weird and simple -- in a good way -- lyrics), there is more of the same-old uniform excellence in writing and audacious singing you expect from Mr. Gnecco. OURS certainly "checks the boxes" for me, so not getting reviewed by the gatekeepers of popular music (this album and their last) is definitely a cosmic conspiracy. 

I can't really pick a track such that if you don't like (or like) that track you'll not like (or like) the album. So I'll pick two [so  if you like neither ... ] ). I'd say the album is banger heavy with percussion very prominent. For instance, several songs remind me of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk-song percussion, but permuted and grungified over songs. Here's an example of that:

Also ballads and ballady stretches, where Mr. Gnecco can show off his real falsetto. Here's an example of that:

Oh yeah, he's obs singing about LDR in both songs (jk, sorry, not sorry). I also like the LDR-esque in-your-face (but with nose ring!) album cover, and wonder whether she influenced him (or vice versa).