teethclick

Björk

Btw has anyone also seen Drawing Restraint 9 ? If so, what did you think? Because...

Spoiler

...the scene where Matthew Barney and Björk cut their legs off with Holographic Entrypoint playing in the background was excruciating to watch, despite not being that graphic or gross. That was the weirdest film I've seen lol

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

The biggest issue with the cover I have is the image proportions, she feels so distant...something I didn't like about the atopos cover, but this is even worse. The image itself and/or the styling is actually beautiful and with some few tweaks this could've been one of her best covers

329200.jpg

20 hours ago, Coney Island King said:

And that last vagina birds album is fucking terrible minus The Gate, which i like. That album is so boring and all sounds the same. I loathe it. 

never met anyone who felt the same way about utopia as me before, i feel seen now :thankyou:

6 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

Can someone tell me why Utopia is so hated (in general) ?

Not to be ageist but honestly mostly her old/longtime fans hate the "new Bjork", you know, the Arca-inspired Bjork. From what I've read, they feel she has no melodies, instrumentals don't go with her voice, they hate how "disgusting" her art can be nowadays (vagina references, her turning into an alien birdlike animal with makeup and wigs, etc.). I've read countless times that "Arca is a bad influence for Bjork" :deadbanana: When Arca has accompanied Bjork through her healing process and has inspired her endlessly. They're best friends.

Anyway here's my ranking:

Vespertine

Vulnicura

Homogenic

Utopia

Medúlla

Debut

Biophilia

Volta

i don't hate utopia it just didn't stick out to me very much. same with volta. but maybe I just need to give them a couple more listens 

1 hour ago, LunaeManifestum said:

IN MY PERSONAL CASE it's not because of Arca's involvement* - she was involved with Vulnicura and it's one of my all-time favourite Björk albums. In my case:

1) I don't like flutes much

2) I don't feel quite the connection with most of the tracks

3) I perceive it, in most cases, more noisy than what I expected from a flute-driven album (aka Sue Me, Arisen My Senses, Loss the most notable examples)

4) the mixture of flutes and heavy electronic beats didn't sit as well as it worked with, say, strings in Vulnicura

and 5) not quite a fan of the mixing of the album - it feels like it needed more balancing and polishing

BUT once again that's just me, I cannot speak by others when saying why it receives a lot of hate. I would not call it a horrible album by any means, I just don't think it's her strongest by far.

Probably, like @PARADIXO pointed out, some fans blame it on Arca's involvement but I don't think that should be a reason to hate on the album tbh.

*I'm not a fan of Arca's solo work, literally the only productions of hers I've enjoyed are Vulnicura and Utopia. So it's not bias I guess.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

I like utopia, I think the flutes are gorgeous, and I really think sonically it’s captures the “utopian” sound she was going for excellently. It’s also not accessible melodically or harmonically, there are no tracks to just throw on casually, so I think it doesn’t have as much replay value. Like I can certainly get stoned and put it on as a soundtrack to a beautiful walk or something, but I’m not listening to the tracks individually ever. 

2 hours ago, LunaeManifestum said:

Because it’s boring.

No melodies, way too experimental to the point of it just being soundscapes and tweeting, and the whole album sounds the same. No variety, no structure, it’s just…..sounds for 1 hour.

The only good thing I’ll say about it is that it has atmosphere. If she wanted to capture the sounds of air/clouds/birds or however she described it, she certainly accomplished that. But i need a little more than a “concept” and avant garde music from her, she certainly used to give more than that. 

And yes, i’m one of the older fans. I’ve been listening to her since i was in my early teens in the late 90’s. I don’t expect her to go back to her alt electronic music she used to do back in the day, that was literally 30 years ago…..she’s obviously evolved as an artist since then. But i feel like an album like Medulla, which is very high concept, manages to find a good balance of experimentation and music that actually is enjoyable. 
Her album run from Debut to Medulla is incredible.

Apparently the new album will be feature bass this time, so i’m hoping that means we at least get some more depth and layers to the music and not just air sound effects with moaning. I’ll keep my expectations very low though.

Regardless of all of this, i still love and respect her as an artist. And no matter whether it’s my thing or not i will always give new material from her a listen because she’s one of my all time favourites.

I'm a big Utopia apologist because it really hits my sensitivity. I especially enjoy this track by track description on i-D which captures its vibes perfectly. 

Idc flutes were an interesting choice and there's a great contrast between them and the beats. Personally, I've never felt bored while listening to it. Saint makes me want to cry honestly

Sue me all you want 

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

4 hours ago, ALIEN SUPERSTAR said:

If I wanted to get into her, where should I begin?

You can start at the beginning and work your way through, I’d say. Debut is a good place to start, but if you really wanna start with a bang I’d say go with Post first, go chronologically, and then hop back to debut when you feel like it. vespertine is my (and many others) favorite it seems.