teethclick

Björk

Just finished my first listen

vloletsforoses-that-was-too-good.gif

So yeah, it is very eclectic, some parts are giving me Volta, Medulla, Biophilia, Utopia and Vulnicura, though that's not a bad thing. Many many more listens ahead

Allow is sooo precious, I love it, Sorrowful Soil - brilliant, Fungal City - amazing. The melody for Ancestress's first chorus and the background vocals are so beautiful, they've been stuck in my mind since it came out. Atopos, Ovule and title track are all fantastic as well. Victimhood is very moody and Freefall is very pretty.

Though, I must say, I wish it were more the 'underground fungi' album as it was promised or, at least, that's how I expected it. It's neither too long or short, really pleased with it :gclap:

i LOVE the instrumentation on this record but again, don't see myself revisiting much. i know she's more into playing with vocal melodies that wander rather than more conventional pop structures but imo the vocal lines all sort of sound similar in their wandering and don't do much for me. that said, i think it's cool as hell that she has never stopped trying new things, and re: instrumentation that really pays off on this record.

aOaIzH2.gif

Haven't said anything yet because I wanted the album mature for a bit but that said, I've been listening to it like crazy and I love it. There's not a single bad track on the album and it feels so short after the 75 minutes of Utopia and the three interludes. However I do have to say that Ovule and especially Allow pale in comparison to the rest - Ovule is kind of forgettable in the bigger picture and despite being cute, Allow definitely feels like the Utopia outtake that it is and is immediately overshadowed by Fungal City which is one of the cutest and homeliest tracks, definitely one of the record's highlights.

Victimhood is amazing, it reminds me of late Jóhann Jóhannsson's work at times and gives Hans Zimmer's Blade Runner 2049 score vibes. I was astonished by Freefall, her vocals are so good in the first half but oh my god the strings in the second half are so beautiful. Atopos is a good opening track and sets the mood for the record quite well, and the title track remains one of the superior tracks on the record - despite me listening to it like a lunatic the outro is still so insane. When I first listened to the record in full I listened to my CD rip which has Ican's vocals on the title track and I found them distracting and they watered the outro down for me so I'll just keep listening to the digital version with B's vocals only.

Summa summarum, despite me expecting just a little more gabber it's a cohesive body of work, quality from beginning to the end and I'll spend a lot more time listening to it. That said it's too early to know where I would rank it in her discography but as for the time being it's a bop and I doubt I'll change my mind about it being so. However I would trade Allow for a longer Trölla-Gabba with vocals, Allow is so repetitive turning it into an interlude instead wouldn't take anything away from it.

Highlights (in tracklist order): Atopos, Ancestress, Victimhood, Fungal City, Freefall, Fossora