evilentity

Alice BrightSky releases album with "Lover's Fate" featuring Lizzy Grant

Alice BrightSky finally released her album Box of Me several years in the making and including the song "Lover's Fate" on which Lizzy Grant sang background vocals and I posted about back in December. Alice was a fellow musician in the Williamsburg music scene with Lizzy and won third place in the WLSC 2006 in which Lizzy competed. You can listen to previews of her album and buy it here on CD Baby.

In my sleuthing, I've listened to music by a number of artists I wanted to contact. I do this for a couple reasons. It seems rude, somehow, to contact an artist and only ask them about another artist's work. I like to have something positive and genuine to say about their own work. And as Mae West said, "Flattery will get you everywhere." Often I'll only listen until I find something nice to say. That didn't take long with Alice, but I kept listening anyway because I love all her songs, especially "Pry Me Away", "I Am", "Up Up and Away", "Tie and Untie", and of course, "Lover's Fate". I really like her songwriting and voice. Her music has sort of a 90s girl-with-a-guitar Lilith fair folk rock feel to me, and I mean that in a good way. She reminds me a bit of Ani DiFranco, except I like Alice better. She was super nice and friendly when I contacted her and really helpful with Early Shows questions, so I hope some of you will show the forum's appreciation by buying her album and get to hear some good music as well.

4kS0N.png

Alice & Lizzy performing "Lover's Fate" at the "Winners of WLSC 2006" show at Galapagos

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I really like this song! It doesn't sound like anything you hear anymore. This is such a good find. Though, I find it strange how she features Lana for just a small amount of time when she could probably have used her own vocals although I guess the contrast of two voices sound good together.

I'm interested in her music now, I wonder what she thinks about Lana's current career and vice versa. :flutter:

Thanks for this!

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

lover's fate is a really pretty song but lizzy's few vocals sound so much better than alice's imo, like the song would've sounded better with lizzy singing it

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Though, I find it strange how she features Lana for just a small amount of time when she could probably have used her own vocals although I guess the contrast of two voices sound good together.

I'm interested in her music now, I wonder what she thinks about Lana's current career and vice versa. :flutter:

Here's what Alice said when I asked her about Lizzy's vocals on "Lover's Fate":

It is her on the backing vox. I wasn't happy with my background vocals so I asked her to step in and she didn't disappoint. We've never done anything else together. Honestly, I haven't seen or spoken with Lizzy in a few years. I lost track of what she was up to until a mutual friend of ours let me know she had just performed SNL.

Will she be crediting her as Lizzy Grant ya think?

I'd imagine so since that's what she called herself when she knew her.

I wonder how it feels to have a super star in the making doing your "little things" and then realize it years later, I'm thinking about Madonna being a backup dancer to some singers or having Mariah Carey as your background vocals. And in that case having the now-so-popular/award-winning/million-ablum-selling/object-of-million-fans'-fantasies Lana Del Rey whispering on your chorus.

I find it interesting, it makes you realize that they are just human like us after all, not only pop/super stars.

up45I.gif

Thank you for this - I really like Lover's Fate. It's nice finding good music by accident. (Not that this is an accident, as of course it's linked to Lana). Even so. Lana's voice works well as back up for this. 

alice shared this post on her facebook page, how nice!

you can get the album on itunes as well https://itunes.apple.com/album/box-of-me/id642928519?l=fr&v0=9989&ign-mpt=uo%3D1

I checked my e-mail when you posted that and saw this message expressing her thanks to us:

XE3Scm5.png

And as Mae West said, "Flattery will get you everywhere."

Wow. Truer than I knew.

What did you ask her?  :O

I asked her about some things for the Early Shows section. Dates, setlists, stuff like that.

Cute!

Lover's Fate gives me life because it's pretty much the only song where her voice sounds Sirens-esque apart from the album itself. Even "Fordham Road" and "Money Hunny", supposedly from the same year, sound deeper.

when i saw she only had 24 followers i cried. I dunno.. its just seems so heartbreaking and unfair how Lana gets so much recognition nd shes just forgotten about :(