Sitar

Lorde

I honestly love this album… I feel like it spoke to me but I can see why it’s polarizing. It’s such a specific taste!!

faves aside from the singles: big star (CRIED!), california, the man with the axe, dominoes, & fallen fruit 

so aside from California and FF I feel like my faves are the ones every hates lmao

my favs were California, Secrets from a Girl, Mood Ring and Oceanic Feeling - also really liked SP, Stoned, The Man with the Axe, Dominoes, and the 2 bonus tracks!!  Hold No Grudge is especially a bop- idk if it's truly phenomenal but i like it a lot more than people made me think i would

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

i am completely baffled by secrets from a girl and leader of a new regime, and even the path tbh. i think lorde was trying to be quite "classic" with the songwriting (maybe?) but a lot of it just comes across as banal and cringey unfortunately. i think some of it for me has to do with the fact that lorde denounces being the "voice of a generation" but then in a lot of these tracks, a lot of the lyrics are cultish and an attempt at simplistic "iconic" classic songwriting - it comes across as quite affected, disingenuous, and as that one article said, sophistic

stand-out tracks:

- fallen fruit (mostly for the way it all sounds and comes together)

- hold no grudge (refreshing and fun!)

- california (one of the better pieces of songwriting, i think)

- the man with the axe (same as above)

mUENGN9.png

1 minute ago, Poor Stacy said:

Jack's yelling of 'marijuana' and 'cocaine' was removed from Dominos on streaming, and made it boring. :toofunny:

no im screaming tew cuz i originally disliked it but now that its gone i want it back :rip:

2 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

Jack's yelling of 'marijuana' and 'cocaine' was removed from Dominos on streaming, and made it boring. :toofunny:

Wuttt. Did they upload a different version by accident? Does he say it at the same time she says it?

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

I LOVE

Fallen Fruit, The Path, Oceanic Feeling, California, The Man With the Axe, Stoned at the Nail Salon, Mood Ring, and Hold No Grudge

I need to spend more time with the rest in order for them to hopefully get into the 'love' category!

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

Ok after first full listen I def understand reviews saying the songs are tuneless- the vocal melodies in many of the songs are barely there. I love the path, SATNS and oceanic feeling, California is good and will prob grow on my more. Otherwise I am kind of perplexed- maybe the sparse melodies will grow on me?

I also have to say that I just really, really don’t care for the early 2000s stuff she’s channeling. But even so, I’d be down to go there w her if there were killer melodies- they just aren’t there,, aside from the few songs I mentioned. The spoken word part from secrets is…so bad, goofy and sort of charmless?

aOaIzH2.gif

ok i listened on my way home from work and here are my thoughts:

i liked it, but again, didn't really connect with any of the songs. i didn't hate it by any means and i plan to listen to it again tomorrow in order to see if my mind changes, but it just...falls flat? it didn't disappoint me, but i am by no means sitting here thinking 'wow, im so glad she spent 4 years making this' :bye: also, nothing about this album screams psychedelic?  you tell me something has psych vibes im gonna think of the seeds, the flaming lips, etc.  it's giving me very much sheryl crow vibes in the 90's lmao. 

stand out songs for me:

1. the path
2. california
3. secrets from a girl (who's seen it all)
4. the man with the axe

im surprised to see so much hate towards SFaG......i actually loved it and thought the outro was cute. Solar power sounds much better when listening to the album as a whole. still can't vibe with mood ring or stoned though. I'm gonna have to look up some links to the deluxe tracks. based on what ya'll are saying here, im intriqued.

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

So far I like Fallen Fruit, Mood Ring and Solar Power :hair:

Stoned somehow clicked and somehow it didn't... I only like the first half of the song :tsk:

I'm indifferent towards the rest of the album, but can't listen to The Path, California and the outro of Secrets :cat: