Sitar

Lorde

On 11/14/2021 at 11:33 AM, Volta said:

i feel like i’m the only one who really likes solar power… it’s personally my favorite by her

Honestly.. same

I barely listen to Pure Heroine anymore; it’s amazing but it feels soooo dated. I still listen to melodrama on the regular but idk, solar power is just, really really great - i feel like it’s exactly the album she needed to make

3 hours ago, brandon said:

Honestly.. same

I barely listen to Pure Heroine anymore; it’s amazing but it feels soooo dated. I still listen to melodrama on the regular but idk, solar power is just, really really great - i feel like it’s exactly the album she needed to make

honestly couldn't agree with this more. solar power was nice on first listen but as time has gone on it gets better and better and is now my fave album of 2021.

i kinda feel like it's my fave lorde album too, and i never thought she'd top melodrama personally

On 11/14/2021 at 1:43 AM, TrashMagiq said:

I thought solar power would've grown on me more by now but with time I started liking it less. I don't think it's a terrible album, I'd still put it on as background noise, but it's just so bland. Especially when you compare it to her last 2 albums. Like, it really has nothing going for it. I remember listening to it for the first time being so excited about the bridge of Fallen Fruit cause it had a beat lol, that's so sad. The Path also started out beautifully, an amazing way to start an album, but then halfway through the song just turns into Herbalife the musical.. I didn't expect her to top Melodrama, but I just expected more.

& People can go on and on with their "this is a weed album, it's meant to be boring. you can't relate to it cause it's happy. your brain is too small to understand that acoustic guitar is far superior than synths!" but that really won't make the album any less boring lol. Going from an album as good as Melodrama to this is just tragic. Solar Power was a big disappointment.

How was it any different from NFR though, people slated solar power but loved NFR which has exactly the same issues lyricism wise, production and mixing wise. 

where are the 346 videos she made for the album? someone please bring her a fucking phone we're tired 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

2 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

How was it any different from NFR though, people slated solar power but loved NFR which has exactly the same issues lyricism wise, production and mixing wise. 

they’re 2 different albums, NFR being a far better one

qfrWuBl.png

6 hours ago, TrashMagiq said:

they’re 2 different albums, NFR being a far better one

I’m not going to recant my opinion on this, objectively they share the same sound.

the only difference is Lorde is preachy and Lana like the life has been sucked out of her vocal.

Can‘t thank Lorde enough for giving me the album of the year. This piece of music is magic. 
I gave it to my big brother who loves it too and it reminds him of our trips we have done together for years. 

16 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I’m not going to recant my opinion on this, objectively they share the same sound.

the only difference is Lorde is preachy and Lana like the life has been sucked out of her vocal.

just because two albums have the same sound doesn't mean they are of the same quality??

like what the fuck??' lmaoo

NFR is far better executed than SP, doesn't try to be fake deep or have some sort of commentary on every issue that's hot rn, the melodies are much better and is not half fillers, etc...

like i really don't know how you can just equate same sound (which isn't even 100% true because SP is much more guitar-y whereas I don't think NFR has a single guitar in it) = same quality

14 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

just because two albums have the same sound doesn't mean they are of the same quality??

like what the fuck??' lmaoo

NFR is far better executed than SP, doesn't try to be fake deep or have some sort of commentary on every issue that's hot rn, the melodies are much better and is not half fillers, etc...

like i really don't know how you can just equate same sound (which isn't even 100% true because SP is much more guitar-y whereas I don't think NFR has a single guitar in it) = same quality

Have you actually listen to NFR? BAR, Venice Bitch, MAC, The Greatest all have prominent guitars as lead in the instrumental. 

if the albums weren’t similar-nobody would be comparing the two as they were when solar power released. 

But besides the point-most of NFR is ruined by Lanas vocal take on the songs-The Greatest for example is a brilliant song ruined by her mumbled vocals.

you can’t have a soft instrumental and soft vocals-it doesn’t work.  

If she did a slight chest register note at the climax it would of really scored it to another level. 

11 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Have you actually listen to NFR? BAR, Venice Bitch, MAC, The Greatest all have prominent guitars as lead in the instrumental. 

if the albums weren’t similar-nobody would be comparing the two as they were when solar power released. 

But besides the point-most of NFR is ruined by Lanas vocal take on the songs-The Greatest for example is a brilliant song ruined by her mumbled vocals.

you can’t have a soft instrumental and soft vocals-it doesn’t work.  

If she did a slight chest register note at the climax it would of really scored it to another level. 

I thought I was off today but I guess I gotta go in.

Saying that Lana’s vocals are mumbled/soft and only that throughout the entirety of NFR is just as false as saying NFR has no guitars. Not even close to being up for discussion - just plain and objectively false.

The chorus in The Greatest, the outro of the title track, the almost-desperate-wailing in the final stretch in Hope is a Dangerous Thing (among a few others) are good examples of the vocal diversity that permeates through NFR - as opposed to Solar Power which alternates between typical Lorde snark and full blown monotony (everything about The Man With The Axe is absolutely abhorrent and that includes her vocal performance). The thing about Lorde is that she surrounds herself with a lot of vocal layering and she has Clairo and Phoebe Bridgers in a lot of songs backing her up while Lana only used her own voice and didn’t even resort of choirs or back up vocalists; plus her voice is typically much more emotive than Lorde by nature. Lorde can be an expressive singer when she wants to (see: Melodrama) but in SP it seemed like she was being put to sleep with chloroform. And this is coming from a Lorde fan.

I know it’s easy to bash NFR because Jack Antonoff became Enemy No. 1 around here and the overall reception the album got makes it easier for the fans to criticize since the GP doesn’t but to say Lana ruined the album with her VOCALS is a total reach. 

IMG-7960.jpg

I know this is subjective, but..

I don’t really hear too many similarities between NFR! and Solar Power, personally. I don’t have a music theory background, but the harmonies on Solar Power are very distinct from those on Lana’s record; it often appears that SP’s harmonies are just as prominent as the lead vocal.

The use of guitar on SP is often fairly saturated with what sounds like a phaser effect common in psychedelic music (see The Path), whereas Lana’s is a bit more organic with the exception of Venice Bitch. NFR! is also largely dominated with front-and-center mellotrons and piano. The use of drums is also very different in the use of their drumming patterns and the fact that Lorde and Jack used an 808 throughout. 

The melodies also seem pretty distinguishable: Lorde’s are a bit more meandering and atonal(?), whereas Lana’s follow more chord progressions that generally stay within the same key throughout. 

While both have many modern lyrical markers, Lana’s songwriting is significantly more accessible, memory-grounded, and and conversational with a few exceptions. Lorde’s are often a bit indirect in conveying the song’s thesis, and you can see this implemented pretty well in tracks like Fallen Fruit; this isn’t inherently a bad thing at all, but yeah. 

I’m a massive Lorde fan, and while I didn’t care for Solar Power, I do have a hard time relating the two outside of the presence of current social commentary and a bit of 70s influence. That’s just me, though!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath