Sitar

Lorde

I feel like this album would have been much better of she would have been more consequent with the concept of "laid back, summery songs that poke fun at upper class wellness cults".

I really dig that concept and when you press play on the album and get the 1-2-3-punch of The Path, Solar Power and California it's very tangible, both sonically and lyrically. 

But then the middle part of the album is dominated by 4 gloomy, ballad-ish tracks (Stoned, Fallen Fruit, Axe, Big Star) where Lorde stays in her comfort zone. While those make up only 1/3 of the album they still kind of hit the breaks on its momentum and drown out other tracks like Secrets or Dominoes (which aren't particularly strong songs to begin with)

We then return to the concept with the last 3 tracks. Mood Ring is the smartest song on this album in my opinion. The faux-upbeat sound combined with the lyrics make it hit so much harder than any of the stripped back ballads.

After the record ends, it feels like we're only left with the frame of a very intriguing concept-album, which has a blind spot in its middle.

After listening to the bonus songs I feel like they should have been on the standard edition and would have been a good opportunity to mix up the middle section of the record.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

The album is such a grower. I mean I've liked it from the start but now that I've had more time with it I'm completely obsessed. It's easy to write it off as superficial and fluffy but in fact a lot of these songs are very tongue in cheek if you read between the lines (especially paired with the cultish visuals she's been serving).

PS: Whoever said she forgot how to write good melodies needs to get their ears checked because this record contains some of her strongest yet. Just my two cents.

:nails:

16 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

a box with no CD which won’t count towards sales

Honestly, that still makes no sense, they used to count merch sales with a download code for the album as long as it surpasses like $10 dollars ... but not this?

What is the difference between buying a digital copy on iTunes? 

It's not like the box was going to be shipped months from now like other artist's singles on CD/Vinyl/K7 ... is out in stores, it should count

4 minutes ago, Sonofmoonshine said:

Honestly, that still makes no sense, they used to count merch sales with a download code for the album as long as it surpasses like $10 dollars ... but not this?

What is the difference between buying a digital copy on iTunes? 

It's not like the box was going to be shipped months from now like other artist's singles on CD/Vinyl/K7 ... is out in stores, it should count

If you can make heads or tails of Billboard rules these days you deserve an award. Nobody here can it’s all illogical. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

15 hours ago, lil aerosol said:

When is it going to click that she release a box with no CD *because* she doesn't gaf about sales? Her main focus w this album seems to be creating an experience of an album for her listeners, which I think she's done, I'm loving every second of it. She explicitly said there are no hits on the album; she is already big enough and has made passion rather than chart success her main focus with her music. Why is it so hard to grasp that charts don't define an album's success, and its meaning to the artist?

You are absolutely correct, but if you can do something that makes money and get’s you number 1 on the chart then why not? Surely her label care about money and her success ? I just like to see artists get praise and recognition who deserve it primarily.  I think it’s possible Lorde wants to stick to a niche fanbase as she doesn’t handle the media pressure and fame so well.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

17 hours ago, lil aerosol said:

When is it going to click that she release a box with no CD *because* she doesn't gaf about sales? Her main focus w this album seems to be creating an experience of an album for her listeners, which I think she's done, I'm loving every second of it. She explicitly said there are no hits on the album; she is already big enough and has made passion rather than chart success her main focus with her music. Why is it so hard to grasp that charts don't define an album's success, and its meaning to the artist?

I think that her label thought that would count

She's not an indie artist that makes music for her only joy. She's signed to a label that wants profit

i like lorde, but i’ve never been fully invested in her music but i think solar power might be a gateway to me becoming a fan :-) i like mood ring, california and fallen fruit. if anyone has any recommendations from her past albums that aren’t singles i’d love to hear them 

7 minutes ago, peachlipgloss said:

i like lorde, but i’ve never been fully invested in her music but i think solar power might be a gateway to me becoming a fan :-) i like mood ring, california and fallen fruit. if anyone has any recommendations from her past albums that aren’t singles i’d love to hear them 

her first two albums are v electronic, so quite diff from SP, but i'd recommend these tracks:

Pure Heroine: Buzzcut Season, Ribs

Melodrama: The Louvre, Liability, Writer in the Dark, Supercut, Sober

aOaIzH2.gif

33 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

I think that her label thought that would count

She's not an indie artist that makes music for her only joy. She's signed to a label that wants profit

Yeah but she also never promoted SP so she clearly has a contract that allows her to do whatever she wants

Solar Power came on the radio and at the part where Lorde repeats "he's taking picturesssss" in her high pitched voice my mum thought she was actually saying "you stinky bitchessss" in a really smug voice and now I can't unhear it

Wq9zHLl.jpg

On 8/21/2021 at 10:12 PM, tulsadevilfreak said:

how are the reviews? any review that hasn't entered yet or some new?

MIM8HhZ.gif

This site does a good job at keeping up with reviews. https://www.albumoftheyear.org/album/378462-lorde-solar-power.php

The album still hasn’t grown on me too much but it’s kind of ridiculous how low it is rated by critics. I think Justin Bieber is the only mainstream artist with a lower score. 

11 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Was the album any good? None of the singles appealed to me and mood ring sounded like a dido b side 

Yes :cuteface:

Oceanic Feeling, Hold No Grudge, and The Man with the Axe are the best

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

11 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Was the album any good? None of the singles appealed to me and mood ring sounded like a dido b side 

I read that as "dildo b side" and im really not sure what I thought you meant by that

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I think the only songs I can say right now that I don't even know if I'll end up liking at all are Secrets From A Girl and Dominoes. Something about them just wasn't clicking with me - maybe it will in the future

imageproxy.jpg

It was really interesting to hear what inspired this song

Even tho I feel like the concepts behind this song could have made way better lyrics had she made it more sarcastic, since that song literally sounds like a Live, Laugh, Love anthem :toofunny:

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

10 hours ago, Townie said:

It was really interesting to hear what inspired this song

Even tho I feel like the concepts behind this song could have made way better lyrics had she made it more sarcastic, since that song literally sounds like a Live, Laugh, Love anthem :toofunny:

This is so interesting to hear, I totally didn't get the sarcasm vibes :suicide: I thought she was totally genuine, I'm cackling

She's going in :godlaugh: and now that she's explained it I totally see what she means, we love fake wellness

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />