shelaughslikegod

Lykke Li

Spoiler

Ngl I got into her in 2019 so I lowkey feel I shouldn't opine much but WR is my favorite album. The vocal delivery was sterling in tracks like Sadness Is a Blessing, Unrequited Love, Silent My Song, etc. I also love its apocalyptic/chaotic sound, which gave me Ultraviolence vibes. :creep:

YN is really different compared to the rest of her discography but issa tender and lovely record but i barely listen to it

I Never Learn is... fine but extremely cheesy and monotonous to me. The title track is gorgeous and gripping though, one of my favorite songs. I really like NRFTW, Gunshot, Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone, Heart of Steel.

I find SSSS stronger than INL because I guess it's more diverse thematically (kinda) and also 'cuz some tracks are really nice and sticky. I prefer the alternate/acoustic versions of SSSS and Deep End tho.

anneways I like her new song based on my first listen. Swedish queen!

x7iNTuN.gif

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

her albums before i never learn were just a noisy mess, her debut album was a snooze fest, then that seaside album was just noisy imo, then i never learn was kinda cute as it sounded more ethereal and pretty, then we have her magnum opus so sad so sexy, which was mediocre trap but it slapped, i said what i said

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I think she's very talented. 

I absolutely adore Wounded Rhymes and the Mark Roson collab.  I think most of her other work has some great strength and as well as weaknesses.

My ranking :

1. Wounded Rhymes

I think it's an album that sounds really unique yet cohesive and accessible. I think she found her best balance here between Youth Novels' very pop and very experimental sound and breathy vocals, and I Never Learn's overdramatic sound and vocals.

2. I Never Learn

I think that album is really emotional. I love it but I've got to be in the mood for it (sometimes the overdramatic sound, lyrics and vocals are too much for me. And that's coming from a Lana Del Rey fan.). My favorite track is Gunshot, it really strikes a chord. And I love how the music video was like a fuck you to the Peugeot commercial it was used for. 

3. Liv

I don't know what happened to that super band she formed with Andrew Wyatt and friends. I liked the indie sound and seemingly more careless creating process. They released no album and they didn't even bother collecting the 4 singles as an EP but in my mind it is some kind of Likke Li EP and Era.

4. So Sad Sexy 

I think that the sound worked a lot for some songs like the sophisticated Hard Rain that was really surprising and the emotional So Sad So Sexy . It gets tiring for more uninteresting songs like Jaguar in the air.

I think the tracklist and the album title sounds very Lana-ish. I mean So Sad So Sexy. It reminds me of seing the tracklist for Ultraviolence for the first time and thinking it was fake. Did anyone else get that feeling ? 

5. Youth Novels

This album was a real surprise when it got released. I think she struck me as a very unique pop artist. I think it gets complicated to listen to the whole album at once. Dance, Dance Dance is one of my favorite songs to sing along to and to dance to. It's so simple yet effective. And I love the fragility and childlike quality of her vocals here.

I need more listen to that new song to have a proper opinion.

This might be a reach but does anyone have mp3s of her I Follow Rivers Lost Sessions EP and her cover of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? She released them as free downloads in like 2009 but obviously all the links are dead. And I don't want to rip from Youtube lol.

On 9/3/2016 at 7:44 PM, sweetie said:

I couldn't find LMLINMOS, but here are the rest of the INL instrumentals for whoever is interested. Long overdue :) 

Sleeping Alone

Silver Line

No Rest For The Wicked

Never Gonna Love Again

Just Like a Dream

I Never Learn

Heart of Steel

On 9/4/2016 at 1:47 PM, sweetie said:

Sorry for spamming the thread, but I found some more instrumentals and wanted to share them :)

Youth Knows No Pain

Get Some

Sadness is a Blessing

Silent My Song

Jerome

On 3/20/2020 at 10:31 PM, AKASAKA SAWAYAMA said:

Hi! Quite late to the party, but does anyone have a new link for these please? 

44 minutes ago, LykkeGrant said:

Hi! Quite late to the party, but does anyone have a new link for these please? 

Sure, here you go

Edit: Thanks for the quote btw. I just remembered about Lykke Li. For some reason I haven't listened to her since 2019 despite her being my absolute fave for like 5 years :noparty: I need to get into her again. And we NEED that new record! 

Edited by sweetie

11 hours ago, sweetie said:

Sure, here you go

Edit: Thanks for the quote btw. I just remembered about Lykke Li. For some reason I haven't listened to her since 2019 despite her being my absolute fave for like 5 years :noparty: I need to get into her again. And we NEED that new record! 

Thank you very much!

I saw she's been posting shots from the studio so hopefully we're getting some new stuff soon. :party:

What happened to her new album? 

I thought it would be released last year and since her last single she has been so quiet

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

7 hours ago, EXODUS said:

What happened to her new album? 

I thought it would be released last year and since her last single she has been so quiet

She seems to have worked on the album during the pandemic and released BRON as a standalone single to tide people over. It doesn't seem to have ever been planned to be part of the album itself.

She posted a tentative tracklist a little over a year ago and it had a bunch of notes on it about how all the songs needed to be changed. Most of the changes were pretty big, like "re-write completely". I think she just decided to keep working on it until she felt it was done.

15 minutes ago, Beauty King said:

She seems to have worked on the album during the pandemic and released BRON as a standalone single to tide people over. It doesn't seem to have ever been planned to be part of the album itself.

She posted a tentative tracklist a little over a year ago and it had a bunch of notes on it about how all the songs needed to be changed. Most of the changes were pretty big, like "re-write completely". I think she just decided to keep working on it until she felt it was done.

Thanks for the info, didn't know this 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

that tyler the creator remix on the reissue was kind of unlistenable...

i thought she would put all of the songs from the wounded rhymes era that weren't on the album (the only, paris blue, ladies love) on the reissue but we got made you snooze instead

18 minutes ago, paradiso said:

that tyler the creator remix on the reissue was kind of unlistenable...

i thought she would put all of the songs from the wounded rhymes era that weren't on the album (the only, paris blue, ladies love) on the reissue but we got made you snooze instead

Ladies Love is just the instrumental section at the end of I Know Places; it was originally a separate track so that’s why it had its own name!