Beemo

Grimes

I really just cannot get into her, but I kinda want to.

I need like a 5-step "Get Into Grimes" program.

Help me out. :3

for me it was her 'halfaxa' album that really got me into her, but it depends on what sort of music you like. 'geidi primes' is great if you're a fan of a more guitary-ish sound (wow my musical knowledge), 'halfaxa' is great if you like the sound of meditation music and 'visions' is perfect if you're into electronic. 

on 'visions' my personal favourites are 'circumambient', 'vowels = space and time' and 'colour of moonlight'. just listen to the album all the way throughout with an open mind.

on 'geidi primes' i really love 'rosa', 'shadout mapes' and 'grisgris', but a lot of people don't like the 'geidi primes' album.

and then on 'halfaxa' which i dare say is my favourite album, 'dream fortress' is absolutely phenomenal and so is 'favriel'.

on youtube there's a 40 minute long video (or about that) which features fan favourites from all 3 albums as well as things from 'darkbloom'. just listen to a track that you like the name of(:

4r9w86.jpg

Bumping this thread quite a bit, but I've REALLY gotten into Genesis a lot again lately so I'm hoping maybe the whole Visions album can become a thing for me :) I know a lot of people also really like Oblivion and Circumbient, so we'll see :P

H0bDaqU.gif

Bumping this thread quite a bit, but I've REALLY gotten into Genesis a lot again lately so I'm hoping maybe the whole Visions album can become a thing for me :) I know a lot of people also really like Oblivion and Circumbient, so we'll see :P

Oblivion and Be a Body, try it.

She's great. Not only do I love Grimes, the artist, but I really like Claire, the person. Her interviews are always so much fun, plus I love her attitude towards life and respect most of her opinions on social issues.

Anyway, much as I love her 3 albums, the first thing I ever listened to was Darkbloom so that holds a special place in my heart (ew, how sappy) and Vanessa is still one of my favourite songs. Particularly love this performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks4LoTBJTtE

And Oblivion really broke my heart when I finally found out what it was about, and made me admire her even more.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I'm really getting into Visions :defeated:

The beats are really what I love her music for I guess, they are sooo good. Her voice is so calming, like a soothing lullaby or something. I can just completely relax when I listen through the album. It's very different to what I normally listen to, but I enjoy it. It's great to fall asleep to as well. Idk somehow it's so dark and very light at the same time!

H0bDaqU.gif

I like her but I don't LOVE her. I was really into Oblivion and Genesis, and a few songs on Visions, Vowels = Space and Time, Circumbient or w/e, and something else. I forget the track names of her songs lol. I like her but something about her voice bothers me, like I hate that it's SOOO calming and airy, it's like I can't really sing along or get super into it. Even her more electronic and pulsating songs are a little too lo-fi for me. I wish there was a BIT more pop structure to it. But maybe I'm saying she should dumb her music down, which I don't want her to do. So idk. There's just something about Visions that I feel like if it were SLIGHTLY more solid and less like a relaxing cloud, I'd like it more. If that analogy makes any sense to you...

I like her but I don't LOVE her. I was really into Oblivion and Genesis, and a few songs on Visions, Vowels = Space and Time, Circumbient or w/e, and something else. I forget the track names of her songs lol. I like her but something about her voice bothers me, like I hate that it's SOOO calming and airy, it's like I can't really sing along or get super into it. Even her more electronic and pulsating songs are a little too lo-fi for me. I wish there was a BIT more pop structure to it. But maybe I'm saying she should dumb her music down, which I don't want her to do. So idk. There's just something about Visions that I feel like if it were SLIGHTLY more solid and less like a relaxing cloud, I'd like it more. If that analogy makes any sense to you...

I actually agree, but in the right mood I think Visions is perfect. I mean I would love to see Grimes go like a minuscule bit closer towards mainstream pop, but still stay pretty unique and experimental. I like Visions because it really is soooo different to anything else and is a nice change.

H0bDaqU.gif

Oh and can someone tell me what the robotic voice is saying at the beginning of "Eight"?

I always thought it was "zwei", like the German word for "two", but I'm probably wrong :flop:

I'm really getting into Visions :defeated:

The beats are really what I love her music for I guess, they are sooo good. Her voice is so calming, like a soothing lullaby or something. I can just completely relax when I listen through the album. It's very different to what I normally listen to, but I enjoy it. It's great to fall asleep to as well. Idk somehow it's so dark and very light at the same time!

I totally agree with how you describe the album as being light and dark simultaneously. It's great to get into Grimes because I found that Oblivion and Genesis were very east to love whereas the album tracks are a bit more difficult but you really want to like them so once you've listened to the Visions two or three more times, you're all of a sudden in love with her and you're ready to listen to her other albums.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

I totally agree with how you describe the album as being light and dark simultaneously. It's great to get into Grimes because I found that Oblivion and Genesis were very east to love whereas the album tracks are a bit more difficult but you really want to like them so once you've listened to the Visions two or three more times, you're all of a sudden in love with her and you're ready to listen to her other albums.

Yes, that's exactly how it is!! On fact I just downloaded Halfaxa today and I'm sort of struggling to get into it, but I'm sure I will after a few more listens :) At least I hope!

H0bDaqU.gif

for me it was her 'halfaxa' album that really got me into her, but it depends on what sort of music you like. 'geidi primes' is great if you're a fan of a more guitary-ish sound (wow my musical knowledge), 'halfaxa' is great if you like the sound of meditation music and 'visions' is perfect if you're into electronic. 

on 'visions' my personal favourites are 'circumambient', 'vowels = space and time' and 'colour of moonlight'. just listen to the album all the way throughout with an open mind.

on 'geidi primes' i really love 'rosa', 'shadout mapes' and 'grisgris', but a lot of people don't like the 'geidi primes' album.

and then on 'halfaxa' which i dare say is my favourite album, 'dream fortress' is absolutely phenomenal and so is 'favriel'.

on youtube there's a 40 minute long video (or about that) which features fan favourites from all 3 albums as well as things from 'darkbloom'. just listen to a track that you like the name of(:

geidi primes is my favourite!!

tumblr_mnu5unziQx1qztgoio1_500.gif