Wryta Thinkpiece

Angus & Julia Stone

There are a few male artists that I have a celebrity crush on, but if there's one I can say I may be in love with, it's Angus Stone. He carries this wanderlust-fueled, free-bird energy about him and his music; everything about him is so beautiful, and I love his beard.

He was part of the sibling duo Angus & Julia Stone, but both of them have started their own music careers, too, so I figured I'd keep them in one post and just show their stuff all together. Julia's absolutely gorgeous as well, I love her voice, though I haven't taken a peek at her solo work entirely just yet. I'll post some of her stuff when I get more familiar, but I'll at least show some of the tracks she sings from when they did work together. "And the Boys," "What You Wanted," "Walk It Off," and "Choking," are some of my favorites that she sings, so I put links up for them.

Happy listening! :kiss:

ANGUS STONE SOLO WORK:

ANGUS & JULIA STONE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceup8anv94A

I've been listening to Pandora a lot lately, and I always get their music under the Lana station. <3

I'm telling you, Angus & Julia Stone, Lana Del Rey and Sucré were pretty much the artists I listened to the most in the Spring.

Reviving this thread for the first time in 8 years!! Wow!! 

Angus & Julia Stone released a new album together titled 'Life is Strange' last week which is set to be the soundtrack for the Life is Strange video game. I've only given it a few listens so far, but I really love it! It's reminiscent of their past works, which I adore. This was a totally out of the blue surprise announced just a few days before it was released, as it sounded like they weren't planning on doing another joint album any time soon and rather just focusing on solo projects. Even their 2017 record was somewhat unexpected, as they claimed to have disbanded the group after their 2014 record. I'm so happy they created another record together - I love them separately, but I love them even better together! My favourite song from the new album so far is 'Living Underground' which I'll link below.

yaqwss4gf8h9a_600.jpg

I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion about them here. They're a great brother-sister indie/folk duo from Australia. They're also managed by Lana's managers Ben & Ed as well! I actually discovered that fact in 2017 after I had already been a fan for a couple of years before and was really surprised lol. For anyone unfamiliar with them, here's some of my favourite songs:

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I need to give Life is Strange more listens since I haven't really warmed up to it yet. Love Song is really cute and catchy though!! 
BUT I like their previous three albums a lot. Especially their self-titled, which contains one of my favorite songs ever (A Heartbreak). :wub:

12 minutes ago, bonkbanisters said:

I need to give Life is Strange more listens since I haven't really warmed up to it yet. Love Song is really cute and catchy though!! 
BUT I like their previous three albums a lot. Especially their self-titled, which contains one of my favorite songs ever (A Heartbreak). :wub:

Ooo 'A Heartbreak' is one of my favourite A&J songs too! That album has sooo many gems. I think their self-titled album & Snow are tied for my favourite A&J album x

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

14 minutes ago, Elle said:

Ooo 'A Heartbreak' is one of my favourite A&J songs too! That album has sooo many gems. I think their self-titled album & Snow are tied for my favourite A&J album x

Right?? The production on that album is just fantastic. Snow would be my very close second favorite of theirs - I think I like Oakwood or Cellar Door the most. It has such a warm and comfy sound to it :)

12 minutes ago, bonkbanisters said:

Right?? The production on that album is just fantastic. Snow would be my very close second favorite of theirs - I think I like Oakwood or Cellar Door the most. It has such a warm and comfy sound to it :)

Oakwood & Cellar Door are my top 2 from Snow!! Taste!! Snow just has a very sentimental value to me as it was released right when I moved to Brooklyn and I was always listening to that album while on the subway and walking around the city, so it brings back those memories when I listen to it now. It's undeniable though that the tracks on the self-cited record are just flawless in terms of production, melodies, etc.. see, this is why I can't decide!! I go back and forth with those two all the time, they're always just in an equal tie for my favourite lol x

On 9/17/2021 at 9:22 PM, Elle said:

Oakwood & Cellar Door are my top 2 from Snow!! Taste!! Snow just has a very sentimental value to me as it was released right when I moved to Brooklyn and I was always listening to that album while on the subway and walking around the city, so it brings back those memories when I listen to it now. It's undeniable though that the tracks on the self-cited record are just flawless in terms of production, melodies, etc.. see, this is why I can't decide!! I go back and forth with those two all the time, they're always just in an equal tie for my favourite lol x

Ooh that's great! It's amazing when you get to connect music with important chapters of your life!! :D That explains why it's hard for you to choose...

Have you listened to any of their solo projects? I think Julia's new album had some cool songs on it. But I haven't really been able to get into Angus' solo work with Dope Lemon. I love his song Broken Brights though!

I've been loving them for a long time. Their self titled is definitely my favorite with great production (by Rick Rubin who produced Ride with Lana by the way) and they have better interaction than they did before in writing and singing. I think Rick was one of the reasons they rebanded and he encouraged them to have a more cohesive process.

I couldn't get into the last album. I just don't understand the vocal Treatment on Angus. It's underwhelming. Did his voice change as well ? I might give it more listen though

3 hours ago, saith said:

I've been loving them for a long time. Their self titled is definitely my favorite with great production (by Rick Rubin who produced Ride with Lana by the way) and they have better interaction than they did before in writing and singing. I think Rick was one of the reasons they rebanded and he encouraged them to have a more cohesive process.

I couldn't get into the last album. I just don't understand the vocal Treatment on Angus. It's underwhelming. Did his voice change as well ? I might give it more listen though

I also had to get used to Angus' vocals on the new album lol. If you listen to his newer solo work, you can definitely hear he's using the same vocal style there.