Guest Maru the Cat

What's Your Favourite Song Off Ldr Aka Lg?

185 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite song off LDR aka LG?

• Kill Kill
    • Queen of the Gas Station
    • Oh Say Can You See
    • Gramma
    • For K Part 2
    • Jump
    • Mermaid Motel
    • Raise Me Up
    • Pawn Shop Blues
    • Brite Lites
    • Put Me In a Movie
    • Smarty
    • Yayo

Yay, Kill Kill finally got a vote! :D

"Kill Kill" is my second favorite after "Yayo". I suspect "Kill Kill" is probably a lot of people's second favorite. Sigh, always a bridesmaid, never a sister-wife bride.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

My order kind of goes like this:

1. Put Me In A Movie and Mermaid Motel tied

2. Kill Kill

3. Yayo

4. Pawn Shop Blues, For K Part 2, and Oh Say Can You See tied

I love every song except Brite Lites. I like the Jump demo more than the album version.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

My order kind of goes like this:

1. Put Me In A Movie and Mermaid Motel tied

2. Kill Kill

3. Yayo

4. Pawn Shop Blues, For K Part 2, and Oh Say Can You See tied

I love every song except Brite Lites. I like the Jump demo more than the album version.

One more step into the mind of Monicker. :flutter:

I know I spew out so much hate for Jump, but I actually really love the NKF/demo/whatever version. It's a great song, I just feel like the album treatment ruined it. The album version tries too hard, while the first version is so effortless and flawless. I can't be fucked to make a legitimate list order-organized right now, but I'd have to say my top five are Yayo, Smarty, Mermaid Motel, Gramma, For K Part 2.

14417469274.gif

I know I spew out so much hate for Jump, but I actually really love the NKF/demo/whatever version. It's a great song, I just feel like the album treatment ruined it. The album version tries too hard, while the first version is so effortless and flawless.

Interesting. I want you to elaborate. Album "Jump" just seems like a more refined version of the demo, with a louder vocal take. Is it the vocals, then? I don't know, I think she nails them on the album, whereas on the demo they seem kinda...reserved and muffled, which doesn't really fit the spirit of the song.

I don't know. Go on.

(I'll just look past Monicker's ignorance to how amazing Brite Lites is for the sake of discussion that doesn't venture into Mo's hated realm of #pettybutplayfulbutpetty.)

I love every song except Brite Lites.

Yes! I've always felt the same way. And we can say this safely since Maru's been taking a break from the forum lately. Though I LOVE the live alterna-rock and NKF versions of "Brite Lites".

Interesting. I want you to elaborate. Album "Jump" just seems like a more refined version of the demo, with a louder vocal take. Is it the vocals, then? I don't know, I think she nails them on the album, whereas on the demo they seem kinda...reserved and muffled, which doesn't really fit the spirit of the song.

I'm with you on all of this Sitar. I'd love to hear Monicker and HDB's explanations for why they think the demo is so much better.

I don’t hate Brite Lites, but i don’t particularly like it. I appreciate that it’s going for another sound/style and adding more variety to the overall sound of the record, and i do like some of the sounds it uses and the musical turns that it takes. But overall i don't think it amounts to that interesting of a song. I think the beat sounds cheap (in a bad way), i wish it was dirtier. I wish that the sample of the sliding on guitar strings wasn't a(n) (obvious) sample and that instead someone had actually done that live and done variations of it. I don't like some of the more "dance music" timbres. Melodically it leaves a lot to be desired. Give me the brite lites? Eh, i don't know, Lizzy.

I also don’t hate, or even dislike, the album version of Jump, i simply prefer the demo. Why? Because of the lazy, plodding, slightly drugged-out energy it has. Its somewhat haunting quality affects me more for whatever reason. I appreciate the recording quality of the vocal, how it sounds like she’s singing into an empty freezer (which i’ve done before!) The ending “just do what you love...” sounds more urgent and earnest on the demo and i like that. The demo also just generally reminds me a little of Ween, a music group who i have been a fan of forever, so that makes me feel happy. The album version is a little too sprightly and clean. Which is not to say that i don’t like it because i really do. That also doesn’t mean that i don’t love bubbly, energetic pop songs, because i really do. So, in short, i don’t know, IT JUST APPEALS MORE TO ME FOR NO REAL GOOD REASON. Y’all need to stop expecting such insight from me. Maybe HDB can weigh in here with something more substantial?

Oh, also, i don’t really like how Kahne generally handles the drums on the record--too much separation, the cymbals are too bright, and the overall drum sound generally sits too loud in the mix for my tastes.

voted for jump!

EDIT: i have changed my mind! although the above is glorious, Queen of the Gas Station and Pawn Shop Blues win my heart always and forever <3

4VgqAMv.gif

~xxx~

Maybe HDB can weigh in here with something more substantial?

I just came back to this thread and it's really nice seeing that you guys wanted my input! I wasn't expecting that. :) Well, firstly, I don't like the album version of Jump because when compared to the demo, it's too poppy. I feel that the lyrics and the melody are much more suited for the darker/haunting tone that the demo gives off, how Monicker described it. That isn't there in the album version. Also, I hate that the guitar literally jumps from speaker to speaker in the album version, it is annoying and it takes away from the simple beauty of itself. In the demo, it's in both speakers and it's not jumping around, so it's a lot more calming and appreciable. Also, the AKA one has too much emphasis on the drums. I want more of the guitar, it makes the song. Her voice may seem more muffled or whatever in the demo, but that's why I like it. It fits the dark theme of the song. The album version sounds like a cheery song, too upbeat and poppy when it's really about drugs and suicide. It's not fitting at all. The demo is more refined and alluring. I feel like I'm talking in circles so I'm just gonna stop now.

Edit: Sitar, after posting this I scrolled back up and read your initial comment. "her muffled vocals in the demo don't fit the spirit of the song." uh... SPIRIT OF THE SONG? IT'S ABOUT SUICIDE AND HEROIN. DO YOU REALLY THINK THE SPIRIT OF THOSE THINGS ARE HAPPY AND CHEERY? WRONG.

14417469274.gif

I just came back to this thread and it's really nice seeing that you guys wanted my input! I wasn't expecting that. :) Well, firstly, I don't like the album version of Jump because when compared to the demo, it's too poppy. I feel that the lyrics and the melody are much more suited for the darker/haunting tone that the demo gives off, how Monicker described it. That isn't there in the album version. Also, I hate that the guitar literally jumps from speaker to speaker in the album version, it is annoying and it takes away from the simple beauty of itself. In the demo, it's in both speakers and it's not jumping around, so it's a lot more calming and appreciable. Also, the AKA one has too much emphasis on the drums. I want more of the guitar, it makes the song. Her voice may seem more muffled or whatever in the demo, but that's why I like it. It fits the dark theme of the song. The album version sounds like a cheery song, too upbeat and poppy when it's really about drugs and suicide. It's not fitting at all. The demo is more refined and alluring. I feel like I'm talking in circles so I'm just gonna stop now.

Edit: Sitar, after posting this I scrolled back up and read your initial comment. "her muffled vocals in the demo don't fit the spirit of the song." uh... SPIRIT OF THE SONG? IT'S ABOUT SUICIDE AND HEROIN. DO YOU REALLY THINK THE SPIRIT OF THOSE THINGS ARE HAPPY AND CHEERY? WRONG.

Babyyyyyyy :defeated:

I LOVE the album version of Jump. I voted Kill Kill, because it's flawless and the best song she's composed so far, but after Oh Say Can You See, my favorite song is For K and it's perfect transition to Jump :love: I just feel like the whole album has this 90s teen movie feel, but juxtaposed with her dark lyrics and I feel like Jump kind of pulls it off the best! The demo is good too, but I feel like the new version is just a burst of energy and poppy and has this gorgeous Californian vibe to it. I kind of see it in the same way that I see the Ride video, how it's like you didn't expect her to be hooking up with like, actual bikers but she's into it and actually lived that life. That contrast is really interesting and lends itself to the believability of the song. Jump is a sweet sounding song with a dark theme and that contrast makes it more believable. I can actually picture her riding shotgun in a convertible with some cracked out dude she's in love with down the coast of California. She's really into that contrast, I remember reading somewhere that she liked to play her super atmospheric music, but be wearing casual clothes to make it even more weird (although I think she just doesn't know how to dress :creep: ).

End rant :defeated:

Guest OPRAH

Yes! I've always felt the same way. And we can say this safely since Maru's been taking a break from the forum lately. Though I LOVE the live alterna-rock and NKF versions of "Brite Lites".

What is this shit? :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

Fuck it, I'm releasing the bees. :wtf:

oprahbees.gif

It is not about suicide, boo :bye:

The melody lends really well to some upbeat vocals. It's in the melody, all the way. I couldn't give a shit if she says the word "heroin". It's comparable to her whispering...any other song that's written in a genuine upbeat style. I don't know if it has anything to do with major keys but I probably should so I can explain this better.

And your "jumps from speaker to speaker" argument will nevarrr convince me!

oR9aN.gif

Babyyyyyyy :defeated:

I LOVE the album version of Jump. I voted Kill Kill, because it's flawless and the best song she's composed so far, but after Oh Say Can You See, my favorite song is For K and it's perfect transition to Jump :love: I just feel like the whole album has this 90s teen movie feel, but juxtaposed with her dark lyrics and I feel like Jump kind of pulls it off the best! The demo is good too, but I feel like the new version is just a burst of energy and poppy and has this gorgeous Californian vibe to it. I kind of see it in the same way that I see the Ride video, how it's like you didn't expect her to be hooking up with like, actual bikers but she's into it and actually lived that life. That contrast is really interesting and lends itself to the believability of the song. Jump is a sweet sounding song with a dark theme and that contrast makes it more believable. I can actually picture her riding shotgun in a convertible with some cracked out dude she's in love with down the coast of California. She's really into that contrast, I remember reading somewhere that she liked to play her super atmospheric music, but be wearing casual clothes to make it even more weird (although I think she just doesn't know how to dress :creep: ).

End rant :defeated:

Yes, abandon ha! :mariah:

Guest OPRAH

Also, I hate that the guitar literally jumps from speaker to speaker in the album version, it is annoying and it takes away from the simple beauty of itself.

What?! I just caught this! I love this technique (panning, I think it's called?) :defeated:

I don't want to have to release the bees on you :(

It is not about suicide, boo :bye:

It's not?

Despite my preference for the demo of Jump, i've always loved what Kahne did with the guitar on the album version. I think it's pretty clever and it sounds cool. It's two guitars panned hard left and right, playing straight 8th notes but they're alternating so that the guitar on the left is playing on every beat and the one on the right is playing every off beat and combined they make that 8th note rhythmic phrase but it has that ping pong effect. And then the synth in the center is playing the same rhythm as the combined guitar parts but it's single notes rather than chords. Pretty rad. And then there are two hi-hats, Right and Center, that sound great together and combined make a really great rhythm. And i love how the bass line and the drums lock in together but there's all that space in the bass line. Oh, and how about those hand claps? Fuck, the album version of Jump is great too haa. This is just a great song. I'm grateful we have both versions.

It's not?

I really don't think so, and I at least attempt to pride myself on paying close attention to lyrics and themes. I suppose one could interpret "Do you wanna jump?" in the "we got a jumper"/"jumping off-a bridges" sense, but nothing else particularly suggests that. Seems like a drugged-out love song to me, with a typical Lana Del Rey vagueness hinting at the demise of the relationship in the third verse.

Let me emphasize again that I like the demo about as much as I like any other solid demo that's pretty similar to the album version. I'm totally lost when it comes to the arguments against the album version for that very reason. And to hop on the bandwagon: I'm a fan of the guitars-jumping technique (in a song called "Jump", har-har) because it's clever and pleasing to my ears. I like a less straightforward delivery. Really, the final just seems like a spiffed-up version of the demo.

I really don't think so, and I at least attempt to pride myself on paying close attention to lyrics and themes. I suppose one could interpret "Do you wanna jump?" in the "we got a jumper"/"jumping off-a bridges" sense, but nothing else particularly suggests that.

Maybe it's a typically Australian term or perhaps even just amongst my social group but to jump rope is just slang to take drugs. I assumed jump was just a shortened version of that.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I suppose one could interpret "Do you wanna jump?" in the "we got a jumper"/"jumping off-a bridges" sense, but nothing else particularly suggests that.

Agreed. Even though I've made suicide jokes referencing this line (yeah, I am evil), I don't think it's literally about jumping either. I relate it more to the "Just do what you love, just do what you can / Just do what you love, do it better than" lyrics, in the sense of taking a risk and going for something. Or possibly an exhortation to do drugs with her, as ataraxia suggested, or both. (I think the references to death in the song refer to overdosing, probably but not necessarily unintentionally.)

And I agree with everyone else that the panning of the guitars, which has the potential to be really gimmicky if done wrong, is awesome. Sorry HDB. Same with the hand claps. And the bass line in this song doesn't get enough love either, simple as it is.