Guest Maru the Cat

What's Your Favourite Song Off Ldr Aka Lg?

185 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite song off LDR aka LG?

• Kill Kill
    • Queen of the Gas Station
    • Oh Say Can You See
    • Gramma
    • For K Part 2
    • Jump
    • Mermaid Motel
    • Raise Me Up
    • Pawn Shop Blues
    • Brite Lites
    • Put Me In a Movie
    • Smarty
    • Yayo

It is not about suicide, boo :bye:

The melody lends really well to some upbeat vocals. It's in the melody, all the way. I couldn't give a shit if she says the word "heroin". It's comparable to her whispering...any other song that's written in a genuine upbeat style. I don't know if it has anything to do with major keys but I probably should so I can explain this better.

Don't ask for my opinion if you're going to refute it.

Sorry HDB.

You don't have to apologize for disagreeing with me. Although for the sake of the entire argument, I am still convinced that the song is about some drug form of suicide.

I'll just leave now. :)

14417469274.gif

the panning of the guitars, which has the potential to be really gimmicky if done wrong, is awesome. Sorry HDB. Same with the hand claps. And the bass line in this song doesn't get enough love either, simple as it is.

Yeah, totally, that's a good point.

And more love for the Jump bass line! Simple but effective. Serves the song perfectly, which is, in my opinion, what songwriting should always be about--not aiming for complexity just for the sake of it or being hung up musicianship, but doing what works best for the song as a whole, whatever that may be, no matter how simple it is.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Don't ask for my opinion if you're going to refute it.

Asking for your opinion doesn't automatically implicate that I'm going to agree with it, or that I should, that's ridiculous.

I didn't say anything of the sort. You can disagree without refutation.

I'm really not going to say "That's okay, but I disagree" every time my opinion differs from yours. That's not a conversation. Sorry.

I'm really not going to say "That's okay, but I disagree" every time my opinion differs from yours. That's not a conversation. Sorry.

Nobody else said that and they carried on the conversation just fine. I'm not asking to be agreed with, I can't change your opinion on the matter. I'm just asking that when you, or anyone, disagrees with me, that they can do it without seeming to put my opinion down. No one else agreed with me but they didn't refute my opinion, either.

It's not?

Despite my preference for the demo of Jump, i've always loved what Kahne did with the guitar on the album version. I think it's pretty clever and it sounds cool. It's two guitars panned hard left and right, playing straight 8th notes but they're alternating so that the guitar on the left is playing on every beat and the one on the right is playing every off beat and combined they make that 8th note rhythmic phrase but it has that ping pong effect. And then the synth in the center is playing the same rhythm as the combined guitar parts but it's single notes rather than chords. Pretty rad. And then there are two hi-hats, Right and Center, that sound great together and combined make a really great rhythm. And i love how the bass line and the drums lock in together but there's all that space in the bass line. Oh, and how about those hand claps? Fuck, the album version of Jump is great too haa. This is just a great song. I'm grateful we have both versions.

Agreed. Even though I've made suicide jokes referencing this line (yeah, I am evil), I don't think it's literally about jumping either. I relate it more to the "Just do what you love, just do what you can / Just do what you love, do it better than" lyrics, in the sense of taking a risk and going for something. Or possibly an exhortation to do drugs with her, as ataraxia suggested, or both. (I think the references to death in the song refer to overdosing, probably but not necessarily unintentionally.)

And I agree with everyone else that the panning of the guitars, which has the potential to be really gimmicky if done wrong, is awesome. Sorry HDB. Same with the hand claps. And the bass line in this song doesn't get enough love either, simple as it is.

What?! I just caught this! I love this technique (panning, I think it's called?) :defeated:

I don't want to have to release the bees on you :(

Babyyyyyyy :defeated:

I LOVE the album version of Jump. I voted Kill Kill, because it's flawless and the best song she's composed so far, but after Oh Say Can You See, my favorite song is For K and it's perfect transition to Jump :love: I just feel like the whole album has this 90s teen movie feel, but juxtaposed with her dark lyrics and I feel like Jump kind of pulls it off the best! The demo is good too, but I feel like the new version is just a burst of energy and poppy and has this gorgeous Californian vibe to it. I kind of see it in the same way that I see the Ride video, how it's like you didn't expect her to be hooking up with like, actual bikers but she's into it and actually lived that life. That contrast is really interesting and lends itself to the believability of the song. Jump is a sweet sounding song with a dark theme and that contrast makes it more believable. I can actually picture her riding shotgun in a convertible with some cracked out dude she's in love with down the coast of California. She's really into that contrast, I remember reading somewhere that she liked to play her super atmospheric music, but be wearing casual clothes to make it even more weird (although I think she just doesn't know how to dress :creep: ).

End rant :defeated:

14417469274.gif

Nobody else said that and they carried on the conversation just fine. I'm not asking to be agreed with, I can't change your opinion on the matter. I'm just asking that when you, or anyone, disagrees with me, that they can do it without seeming to put my opinion down. No one else agreed with me but they didn't refute my opinion, either.

I'm really not seeing where I attacked you. An emoticon? Is that it?

For K Part 2 slays.

I haven't really listened much to AKA besides Smarty, Jump and Put Me in a Movie though so how would I know..

Anyways, is there a full album download for AKA because I'm too lazy to make my own

:imbeingsarcasticbitch2: Obviously everyone was going to choose Yayo. Ugh. Getting pretty sick of that song now, tbh.

I chose Gramma. That song is the shit. :thankyou:

I haven't listened to any Lizzy Grant tracks before. I will someday soon before the end of the world :)

:whoopi:

FEET DON'T FAIL ME NOW. TAKE ME TO THE FINISH LINE.

Just listened to the National Anthem demo, she sounds like a chipmunk in parts, if that's what the Lizzy Grant music is like Im afraid I wont like it :(

Sweety. She has tons and tons of songs from her Lizzy grant days. Some I don't like either, some I love & some take time to get use to.

You should listen to 'Children of the bad revolution' and 'Pawn shop blues' that'll start you off.

FEET DON'T FAIL ME NOW. TAKE ME TO THE FINISH LINE.

Sweety. She has tons and tons of songs from her Lizzy grant days. Some I don't like either, some I love & some take time to get use to.

You should listen to 'Children of the bad revolution' and 'Pawn shop blues' that'll start you off.

Thanks I'll have a listen to those.

Currently listening to Yayo, not liking it either. Think I'm a lost cause haha