Real Deal

BANKS

i haven’t heard such a good album in a while amidst all the new trash music

The Guardian's review gave me diarrhea

they literally made the claim that the album felt scattered but didn’t explain why at all. Never read a good review on the guardian

i’m loving the lyricism, this album definitely has some of her best written songs. sawzall is such a breath of fresh air, never heard an artist admit their shortcomings in a past relationship the way she’s done it. the lyrics on this one are so tailor made for that specific person it almost feels intrusive that we get to hear it

Never read a good review on the guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/dec/04/troye-sivan-blue-neighbourhood-review- :hooker:

i’m loving the lyricism, this album definitely has some of her best written songs. sawzall is such a breath of fresh air, never heard an artist admit their shortcomings in a past relationship the way she’s done it. the lyrics on this one are so tailor made for that specific person it almost feels intrusive that we get to hear it

OMG exactly! Her lyrics are SO specific, it's really special!

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

In case y'all haven't seen this yet – Godless has quite a backstory:

“I dated someone during the Goddess era,” she begins. “We broke up. He’s amazing, but we had quite an intense relationship. I wrote about him on The Altar, hadn’t spoken to him in years. I know he heard it – I was super anxious about it, didn’t warn him, blah blah blah – all that stuff that probably most musicians and writers feel! Didn’t talk to him for a few years, and then met up with him years later. It was all good. We became friends again, but he was like, ‘I wrote this song about you, but I never finished it. I couldn’t finish it’. It was a verse – and it was “Godless”.

I write all my own music, of course, and I’m kind of a psycho about it. People try and tell my a lyric or a melody, and I’m like, ‘Who are you!?’ But I heard this verse, and it really messed me up. It’s so beautiful. I was about me, and I was like, ‘Give it to me! I wanna finish it!’ So I finished a song that my ex wrote about me, and I called it “Godless”, because of a million different reasons. Isn’t that so twisted? I mean, twisted in a really serendipitous way. It’s the most closure you could possibly get from a relationship! Let’s separately write about each other, then let’s come together and put a bow on it – we’re friends now! That’s crazy shit.”

Like WOW! That's such a powerful, inspiring example of turning misery into art and eventually getting closure! 

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Am I the only one who's not really feeling the last two tracks? It's weird, I'm usually an absolute sucker for her ballads, but IDK about those two. The production on If We Were Made Of Water is gorgeous, but her voice is a bit too whispery for me on this one. And What About Love is beautiful, but it doesn't really touch me like her ballads usually do, and it also reminds me of Pink's What About Us in a really weird way. Like, literally, every time she sings "What about love?", I'm expecting "What about trust? What about us?" to follow. She even sings it i the same tone as Pink... :toofunny:

Also, I kinda miss Sohn's production on this album, he only did some additional production on Till Now and Godless. And I kinda hate myself for feeling this way, because I actually really appreciate the fact that she got out of her "comfort zone" and started working with producers outside of her previous "main producers" Sohn and Tim Anderson, and I generally do love the sound of III. I guess I've really got used to that "typical" Banks sound that she created with those two in particular, and now I need some more time to adjust to this new sound lol.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

hawaiin mazes and if we were made of flop are probably my least favorite songs on the album

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

i keep coming back some of the tracks like The Fall, Till Now and Stroke. i cant digest them right away I NEED TIME for other tracks too... miss banks really delivered...

to me this record has totally some MAJOR banks elements like beats and lyrics and some other new elements like tropical(??) sounds and some new lyricsism. she combined everything deliciously past 3 years and really delievered AN ALBUM....

tho goddess is my fav album ever it's like a collection. the altar surely has a cohesiviness too but ||| is on different areas like.....idk i cant explain but I LOVE ITTTT. all those autotunes, over production, distortion.....YESSS BITCH

everytime i listen to a track from ||| her voice always sounds different... i love it...i love itttttttttt

All I've played the last 274 hours was... STROKE

The distorted bass + vocals, that motherfucking CHANGE on the Bridge where the song just goes into a total hyper-80s-bass-direct-from-sewer...whew girls.

The bad side I guess is that the whole distortion trick starts to get a bit boring after Stroke.

Godless was incredible for 3 minutes and suddenly I just got tired of it.

Haven't really been into the second half of the album so far but I know that Alaska is a bop and every now and then my mind goes JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY.

This album is GOOD. I wasn’t sure about it the first listen but having listened to it all weekend, I’ve come to the conclusion that she did that.

Only songs I’m not big on are Propaganda and The Fall