evilentity

Black Beauty

I dont think she means drugs, but hey Lana makes drug references all the time. I think this song is called Black Beauty because she sees the beauty in his darkness. She sees the good in all his bad, his dark, sarcastic, dull, look at existence with pessimism attitude. He doesnt see the good in life, and she loves his view even if she might not understand it.

You know, I just had a really intense moment listening to this song a few times, and I know the line's pretty much been settled on, but I figured just for the sake of discussion, I'd share a lyric I interpretively heard.

You said if you could have your way,
You'd make the/your nighttime maul today,
So it'd suit the mood of your soul.

Highly unlikely that that's the lyric, I'm certain, as the "the" in the second line was interpreted as a really soft one, and the "your" was just another interpretation; but it was just interesting how that verse struck me after interpreting it like that. Poetically brutal and reflective of the internal ravaging going on in the mind of the "you" in the song. The destruction of optimism and light, the wild, indiscriminate manifestation of something dark and brooding.

I loved the song already, probably not as much as I loved AFFA, but after catering thought to its ranking in the Top 10, along with being in the mood for the song as of late, I gave Black Beauty a different kind of chance to capture me and thrill me. And I'm glad I did. BB is a great insight to the new era of Lana, and will be a great addition to ULTRAVIOLENCE if Lana doesn't scrap it.

I’ve just listened to this song for the first time in a while since it leaked and I’ve finally formed together my complete theory of its meaning. I believe this song is very influenced by Barrie, more specifically, his battle with depression. From Barrie’s lyrics, tweets, and dark influences I think it’s obvious that he is struggling, or at least has at some point in his life, struggled with depression.  Here’s my interpretation:

We all know that Lana has spent her whole life making her world into something she, personally, finds beautiful. This is most apparent in the Ride monologue. She has been attempting to mold her life into a work of art since she was a teenager, even before that. So, when she entered her relationship with Barrie, she was inviting him into her world of ideal beauty. In doing this, I think she hoped Barrie would then find himself “beautiful” since he was worthy of a spot in her self-created lifestyle. However, he didn’t. Barrie was still finding himself immersed in a life of blackness and depression. In Black Beauty, Lana is singing to Barrie, trying to find a middle ground between her beautiful lifestyle and Barrie’s dark attitude.

In the verses of the song she sings about making changes to her appearance and surroundings, making everything around her “black". She is trying to almost recreate a world where Barrie will feel beautiful (since his personal idea of beauty is very dark and twisted). I think that instead of trying to make Barrie’s mindset adapt to her idea of beautiful, Lana is altering herself to “suit the mood of his soul” as a last attempt at finding equilibrium in their relationship.

In the chorus, she sings, “Oh, what can I do? Life is beautiful but you don’t have a clue. Sun and ocean blue, their magnificence, it don’t make sense to you.” In this part of the song, I believe Lana is feeling exhausted in her attempt to make Barrie feel like he belongs in her much brighter “work of art” lifestyle. I feel as if she has almost given up. She’s saying that life doesn’t have to be dark to be beautiful, but Barrie doesn’t understand that. The sun and ocean blue references are there to symbolize the simplistic beauty in life in a sort of “the best things in life are free” sort of way. Also, the sun (yellow) and the ocean (blue) represent the brighter colors Lana finds attractiveness in opposing the black and dark blue Barrie finds beautiful.

Basically, I just think this song is a venting session for Lana. She feels as though nothing she can do can convince Barrie to live a much more optimistic life. She fears he will never find the magnificence in something as simple as sunshine and that he will forever be trapped in his dark universe. I think the song takes a very sad yet beautifully haunting tone on purpose; it’s something Barrie himself would find beautiful. I think considering all this, the song is much deeper than I originally thought. Any questions or critique on my theory would be greatly appreciated!

"You'd make a night time of the day, so it'd suit the mood of your soul."

(The Dark Night of the Soul)

"But on some summer nights, it could feel like Paradise--Paradise Lost." http://www.sacred-texts.com/myst/myst/myst13.htm

Paradise, says Boehme, is still in the world, but man is not in Paradise unless he be born again. In that case, he stands therein in the New Birth,  256 and tastes here and now that Eternal Life for which he has been made....

Such a perception of the Divine in Nature, of the true and holy meaning of that rich, unresting life in which we are immersed, is really a more usual feature of Illumination than of Conversion. All the most marked examples of it must be referred to that state; and will be discussed when we come to its consideration. Sometimes, however, as in the case of Brother Lawrence, the first awakening of the self to consciousness of Reality does take this form. The Uncreated Light manifests Itself in and through created things. This characteristically immanental discovery of the Absolute occurs chiefly in two classes: in unlettered men who have lived close to Nature, and to whom her symbols are more familiar than those of the Churches or the schools, and in temperaments of the mixed or mystical type, who are nearer to the poet than to the true contemplative, for whom as a rule the Absolute p. 192 “hath no image.” “It was like entering into another world, a new state of existence,” says a witness quoted by Starbuck, speaking of his own conversion. “Natural objects were glorified. My spiritual vision was so clarified that I saw beauty in every material object in the universe. The woods were vocal with heavenly music.” “Oh, how I was changed! Everything became new. My horses and hogs and everybody became changed!” exclaims with naive astonishment another in the same collection.  375 “When I went in the morning into the fields to work,” says a third, “the glory of God appeared in all His visible creation. I well remember we reaped oats, and how every straw and head of the oats seemed, as it were, arrayed in a kind of rainbow glory, or to glow, if I may so express it, in the glory of God.”  376

Amongst modern men, Walt Whitman possessed in a supreme degree the permanent sense of this glory, the “light rare, untellable, lighting the very light.”  377 But evidences of its existence, and the sporadic power of apprehending it, are scattered up and down the literature of the world. Its discovery constitutes the awakening of the mystical consciousness in respect of the World of Becoming: a sharp and sudden break with the old and obvious way of seeing things. The human cinematograph has somehow changed its rhythm, and begins to register new and more real aspects of the external world. With this, the self’s first escape from the limitations of its conventional universe, it receives an immense assurance of a great and veritable life surrounding, sustaining, explaining its own. Thus Richard Jefferies says, of the same age as that at which Suso and Brother Lawrence awoke to sudden consciousness of Reality, “I was not more than eighteen when an inner and esoteric meaning began to come to me from all the visible universe.”

"Life is beautiful, but you don't have a clue

Sun and ocean blue
Their magnificence, it don't make sense to you"

I’ve just listened to this song for the first time in a while since it leaked and I’ve finally formed together my complete theory of its meaning. I believe this song is very influenced by Barrie, more specifically, his battle with depression. From Barrie’s lyrics, tweets, and dark influences I think it’s obvious that he is struggling, or at least has at some point in his life, struggled with depression.  Here’s my interpretation:

We all know that Lana has spent her whole life making her world into something she, personally, finds beautiful. This is most apparent in the Ride monologue. She has been attempting to mold her life into a work of art since she was a teenager, even before that. So, when she entered her relationship with Barrie, she was inviting him into her world of ideal beauty. In doing this, I think she hoped Barrie would then find himself “beautiful” since he was worthy of a spot in her self-created lifestyle. However, he didn’t. Barrie was still finding himself immersed in a life of blackness and depression. In Black Beauty, Lana is singing to Barrie, trying to find a middle ground between her beautiful lifestyle and Barrie’s dark attitude.

In the verses of the song she sings about making changes to her appearance and surroundings, making everything around her “black". She is trying to almost recreate a world where Barrie will feel beautiful (since his personal idea of beauty is very dark and twisted). I think that instead of trying to make Barrie’s mindset adapt to her idea of beautiful, Lana is altering herself to “suit the mood of his soul” as a last attempt at finding equilibrium in their relationship.

In the chorus, she sings, “Oh, what can I do? Life is beautiful but you don’t have a clue. Sun and ocean blue, their magnificence, it don’t make sense to you.” In this part of the song, I believe Lana is feeling exhausted in her attempt to make Barrie feel like he belongs in her much brighter “work of art” lifestyle. I feel as if she has almost given up. She’s saying that life doesn’t have to be dark to be beautiful, but Barrie doesn’t understand that. The sun and ocean blue references are there to symbolize the simplistic beauty in life in a sort of “the best things in life are free” sort of way. Also, the sun (yellow) and the ocean (blue) represent the brighter colors Lana finds attractiveness in opposing the black and dark blue Barrie finds beautiful.

Basically, I just think this song is a venting session for Lana. She feels as though nothing she can do can convince Barrie to live a much more optimistic life. She fears he will never find the magnificence in something as simple as sunshine and that he will forever be trapped in his dark universe. I think the song takes a very sad yet beautifully haunting tone on purpose; it’s something Barrie himself would find beautiful. I think considering all this, the song is much deeper than I originally thought. Any questions or critique on my theory would be greatly appreciated!

♥♥♥♥♥ this post

ljZXOe0.jpg

I'm surprised this is even a question, I've always heard:

You'd make the nighttime more to day (I guess you could argue for "today", but the general concept stands).

Meaning -- if he had his way, he'd extend nighttime so there was less time for daylight.  So the world is a more darker place, etc.  Dark, mysterious, depressed people like the nighttime, pretty commonly used theme.

The next line reaffirms, "So it suits the mood of your soul" -- the real world doesn't match his internal world.  If it were darker more often, the world would be much more like how it is inside of him (apparently it's pretty deep since it's his soul).

Seems reasonable to me :$

u6pq4c9.gif

:gclap:

Living with a GF who has no moral compass or fixed personality can be really hard. I think Barrie was really happy with the other guys in Kassidy, it was an uncomplicated life. Now lost in LA, with no income, supported by Lana. I would feel out of place too. Lana is certified weird, that's why she can make such beautiful art, and that's why she's so admired around the world. But where does it leave Barrie? He needs to connect with his roots even if that means going home to Scotland. I'm a "Lana Worshipper" but I feel for Barrie. I've said it Before; Barrie is an ordinary (almost) guy in way over his head.

Yep, definitely about Barrie's depression. 

I've recently lost a friend and I've been listening to the demo version of this for so long. Now listening to the mastered version is just :icant: I think she wrote it about Barrie but it can also be interpreted as we wish :)

"life is beautiful but you don't have a clue...." 

tumblr_m7ggbemthf1r7oj7fo1_500.gif