Mileena

How do you feel about Lana's leaked songs?

I've noticed many people around the web saying that they get upset when a Lana song leaks. But if that's the case, then why do people listen to them if they feel so strongly about it? I do think it's down to Lana to leak songs if she wishes, however I won't say no to a newly leaked song. It's inevitable as a musician to get that sort of thing, I guess. I also love seeing how her style continues to evolve and get better.

4r9w86.jpg

And I think there are so many fans that agree with you, about loving how lana's style has evolved. It paints a fuller picture for fans.

Exactly! Some of her songs are crap but every artist has a crap song, it shows that they're at least experimented. I get bored of a lot of artists very quickly because they usually have just one style - however Lana's tried everything so I never get bored of her.

4r9w86.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I think thats what's so mesmerizing about her. She has a HUGE range of style and everything. So, it makes me hopeful about where she will go musically and how far she's come as an artist. I love SO many of her songs.

I am so pleased someone's mentioned this! Yes, it's probably not nice for Lana when her songs unexpectedly leaks but although I sympathise with her, especially when people hack her, I'm not exactly going to turn down a fabulous Lana tune, am I? And as you guys have said, it's really interesting to hear how her songs have evolved from Sirens to BTD and every little detail inbetween.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

I am so pleased someone's mentioned this! Yes, it's probably not nice for Lana when her songs unexpectedly leaks but although I sympathise with her, especially when people hack her, I'm not exactly going to turn down a fabulous Lana tune, am I? And as you guys have said, it's really interesting to hear how her songs have evolved from Sirens to BTD and every little detail inbetween.

Exactly, but it's not only Lana that gets leaked songs. Every artist does, and actually a lot of the time it's record people, the artists team and even people who have something against the artist. When you see how much hate Lana gets - it makes sense that her songs leak a lot.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest MissDaytona

Lana doesn't leak songs though. I love hearing leaks, I'm not gonna lie. What bothers me is the hypocrisy of some people. Complaining about leaks and tweeting Lana how sorry they are and silly things like "Fuck whoever leaked this" and then next thing you know, they're talking about how great it is, quoting the lyrics, etc. 'Shut the Fuck Up' haha

Guest Chloe

I hate that people leak songs, but I listen to them as it's not my fault they leaked.

Guest MissDaytona

Her fans act like she is the only one that get her songs leaked by someone, most of the artist does, also I read that the leaks are unusuable smh she can sell them to another artist and re-worked them, just like she did with Ghetto Baby

lmao IA with this.. like britney always has leaks and it isn't this big of a big deal.. same w/ marina.. and lady gaga, etc.

I love it :teehee:

It's just the name of the game! Provides intrigue. Of course there are negatives, but I am greedy. However, can someone give me an example of leaks ruining opportunities for an artist? That would be where I'd like it to stop, methinks.

To be honest, the people who leak the songs have no right to, but once they're out there for the public eye, the best thing a fan can do is appreciate it & Lana and not shun it because it's a leak.

I love it :teehee:

It's just the name of the game! Provides intrigue. Of course there are negatives, but I am greedy. However, can someone give me an example of leaks ruining opportunities for an artist? That would be where I'd like it to stop, methinks.

there's no ONE example, Ke$ha & KAty Perry are 2 examples that you can sale your leaked demos, they did it with Girls Generation, Selena Gomez, Kelly Clarkson & Jessie James, all this girls got songs from one of them, also I know for fact that Britney re-worked at least 3 already leaked songs, I think Gaga is doing the same with Nothing On, so yeah people usually act so dramatic about Lana's leaks forgettig about all the others artist out there.

tumblr_nqgjv3rg7p1si48w3o1_540.gif

What's weird though (on the subject of leaks hurting sales) is that you have to take into account the fans' subjectivity: for a lot of people they'd be kind of bummed out to get a previously leaked song on an official album. It would be seen as a wasted opportunity. What unheard music could have been on there instead? And these people may very well not end up purchasing something because of this. Yet, on the other hand, for many other people--and i would argue that this is probably determined by what sort of an audience it is (which is typically dictated by the sort of artist and music, and i think more and more by generation)--having a previously leaked song show up on an official album is a great, exciting thing and reason to celebrate because they get to have, on an official product that they can hold in their hands, the music in full quality (a 320 kbps mp3, the highest mp3 encoding, which we're lucky to get, is far from that, and keep in mind also that a lot of unreleased stuff isn't always mastered, and sometimes not even properly mixed, not to mention that a leaked song might take on a new life on a released album if new overdubs are added or if different elements are rerecorded). That's important to a lot of people. There are factions in the large landscape of music fans, and they all have differing interests and priorities, which affects what they place value in.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

What's weird though (on the subject of leaks hurting sales) is that you have to take into account the fans' subjectivity: for a lot of people they'd be kind of bummed out to get a previously leaked song on an official album. It would be seen as a wasted opportunity. What unheard music could have been on there instead? And these people may very well not end up purchasing something because of this. Yet, on the other hand, for many other people--and i would argue that this is probably determined by what sort of an audience it is (which is typically dictated by the sort of artist and music, and i think more and more by generation)--having a previously leaked song show up on an official album is a great, exciting thing and reason to celebrate because they get to have, on an official product that they can hold in their hands, the music in full quality (a 320 kbps mp3, the highest mp3 encoding, which we're lucky to get, is far from that, and keep in mind also that a lot of unreleased stuff isn't always mastered, and sometimes not even properly mixed, not to mention that a leaked song might take on a new life on a released album if new overdubs are added or if different elements are rerecorded). That's important to a lot of people. There are factions in the large landscape of music fans, and they all have differing interests and priorities, which affects what they place value in.

Shorter Monicker: Leaks do not necessarily equal reduced sales.

I've also shared some of my thoughts on leaks in this post in another thread.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I am not sure if I loved Lana so much if I had listened to only her official Born To Die album. All her leaks add so much variety to her officially released songs and make me appreciate her as an artist even more. It's great to see how much her music has evolved during the years and honestly I love many of her unreleased songs even more than the album versions. They seem so much more genuine and emotional.

I don't understand why people complain that leaks are bad for a singer but still continue to listen to them when somebody else leaks them on the Internet. Isn't that a bit hypocritical? If you disapprove so strongly of the new leaks then you shouldn't be the one to praise these songs and help to spread them even further. I love leaks. I don't know how Lana feels about these songs spreading among fans but I hope that she isn't too upset when true fans get to enjoy some more of her talent. Isn't that why she has written her music in the first place?

I used to like the leaks and listen them, but then the Ahmed story came and I discovered that Lana wanted to keep the leaksprivate, so I won't download and listen to new leaks...

I admire your strenght to stay away from so much Lana. No music, no home-made videos, no old photos. :defeated: