Mileena

How do you feel about Lana's leaked songs?

i didn't listen to paradise when it leaked shortly before it was released because i wanted the first listen to be ~*~special~*~ but i'm listening to the newer songs bc the new album hasn't even been announced yet. i hope lana doesn't use the leaked songs for the next album. i know she wanted black beauty to be the first single but i'm sure this will affect sales and it just takes the surprise away. i'm sure she's written plenty of other songs she could use.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I don't think the leaks are intentional but I do believe they're not that actively fought against - because of the publicity / promotion angle? I don't know, maybe. Or maybe simply because they're ultimately not that important to them; I really don't know.

I mean, this is a professional artist who, during her relatively brief career (in the public eye, I mean), has had around what, 150? 200 leaks? It's not normal and doesn't make any sense to me. If she and her team - and most especially her label, who invested money on her and surely has every interest in getting it back with profit - were that concerned about it, they could have done a lot more to prevent more recent songs from leaking imo - not allowing so many people to have access to / keep the songs, take legal action in order to discourage further leaks, etc. Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice...

How else do we explain that pretty much every other artist of her calibre manages to control this type of thing to a certain extent? How is she always the only apparently defenceless victim in all these leaking sprees?

I can't find any other explanation. Either that or she's surrounded by a bunch of utter incompetents.

Or, yeah, she's leaking them herself, grabbing the popcorn and laughing herself silly reading all the ensuing tumblr & twitter meltdowns. :troll:

EDIT: FYI, this is by no means an apologist take on the leaks. Since this is all speculative, my default position is - I assume they're unwanted & can potentially be harmful to her, so imo it's ethically wrong and irresponsible to leak all this recent stuff./spoiler]

Excelent points. Maybe the leaks are not fought against properly. Which in another words they are encouraged to a certain extent and in other words they are useful and a good thing. There is no way in a competetive market like the music industry a Label would let all those leaks happen if wasnt a good thing for her sales in the end. And when I say sales I dont mean only albuns I mean concerts (tour), product campaigns in general, spontaneous media e etc.

Spontaneous media is something everyone craves for. Just take a look at Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Beyonce....Lana is not the type to put a crazy outfit like Gaga made entirely of raw meat or show her ass and boobs each 10 seconds like Rihanna but she has tons of songs, good songs. I fin it actually a pretty clean way to advertise herself tbh. She uses her work other than crazy things. That's just my opinion anyway I could be wrong I can't know for sure. It's just logical.

About her label I think they do a pretty shitty job.

glgcDdT.gif

i didn't listen to paradise when it leaked a shortly before it was released because i wanted the first listen to be ~*~special~*~ but i'm listening to the newer songs bc the new album hasn't even been announced yet. i hope lana doesn't use the leaked songs for the next album. i know she wanted black beauty to be the first single but i'm sure this will affect sales and it just takes the surprise away. i'm sure she's written plenty of other songs she could use.

This.

If the album was coming out and announced and finalized, and say these were on it and it leaked a week before, then I wouldn't listen. But we don't even know what these songs were for (minus BB), so it's not really a huge deal. I'll still buy the album like I bought all the rest.

Also hoping she doesn't use these songs on the next album although I wouldn't mind BB or JFK being on it.

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

I rearranged my Paradise adding the 5 new songs and it now functions as her Grammy award winning follow-up to Born to Die, spawning the hit singles American and Hollywood and the Oscar winning short film music video for the single Black Beauty.

Her leaks are brilliant, I don't think it bothers her that much so I'm enjoying them! It's not like we didn't have or hear live versions of over half of BTD before it came out.

No, I didn't listen to Paradise when it leaked shortly before the release either but that wasn't for Lana's sake or anything, just because of the fact I'd bought the box set which is very special and it arrived one or two days after anyway. I had it on my computer and everything, my younger sister even listened to it with headphones right in front of me but I didn't mind - I hate ruining  surprises but I'll listen to the new leaks because we don't even know for sure if they're going to be on this album that hasn't even been announced yet.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

I mean, this is a professional artist who, during her relatively brief career (in the public eye, I mean), has had around what, 150? 200 leaks? It's not normal and doesn't make any sense to me. If she and her team - and most especially her label, who invested money on her and surely has every interest in getting it back with profit - were that concerned about it, they could have done a lot more to prevent more recent songs from leaking imo - not allowing so many people to have access to / keep the songs, take legal action in order to discourage further leaks, etc. Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice...

I can't find any other explanation. Either that or she's surrounded by a bunch of utter incompetents.

While I completely disagree with the leaker's decision to leak the Nowels tracks (and this is in no way meant to excuse that person's actions) ultimately this was primarily Rick's fault or his web designer's. Considering the vast number of leaks Lana has had already, leaving unreleased tracks in the same public directories that the streaming music on his site streams from with the index pages accessible for months until rather recently was grossly negligent.

Also, as a side note, these leaks were bad for everyone in the long run-- even people thirsty for leaks-- because it's quite possible additional tracks would have been posted either without password protection or with filenames that could have been guessed. If people could have waited at least until a tracklisting announcement, we could have had these leaks and possibly more without risking disrupting an album. This is why we can't have nice things.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

When they said prolific, they weren't kidding :makeup: :taylor:

i didn't listen to paradise when it leaked shortly before it was released because i wanted the first listen to be ~*~special~*~ but i'm listening to the newer songs bc the new album hasn't even been announced yet. i hope lana doesn't use the leaked songs for the next album. i know she wanted black beauty to be the first single but i'm sure this will affect sales and it just takes the surprise away. i'm sure she's written plenty of other songs she could use.

lola NO. We have EXACTLY ZERO Paradise demos and will probably never get any. I want fully produced versions of these to be on the album if only for the sake of seeing them developed fully. Also they're both really good and encapsulate what she's described so far and she said she's writing the album slowly so just no they must make the cut

Those of you who were around when the demos for National Anthem and This is What Makes Us Girls leaked: Was it this dramatic?

I don't think that these leaks will affect her sales. I guess that outside of her stanbase very few people have heard the songs plus it was probably just the demo version of Black Beauty. Her fanbase will buy the album regardless.I think the difference between now and then is a) Lana had lots of buzz that time around (which still hasn't faded) and b) we don't know when the new album is comming out. Lana is not really a trustworthy source when it comes to releases and we haven't heard a single thing from Universal about the new album.

I also can't believe how incredibly stupid her and her team are letting these songs leak.

While I completely disagree with the leaker's decision to leak the Nowels tracks (and this is in no way meant to excuse that person's actions) ultimately this was primarily Rick's fault or his web designer's. Considering the vast number of leaks Lana has had already, leaving unreleased tracks in the same public directories that the streaming music on his site streams from with the index pages accessible for months until rather recently was grossly negligent.

I completely agree. In fact, I'd made a similar comment not long after the leaks. But I also reiterate what you said about this not excusing the leaker in any way.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I got to know more about Lana through all her leaks, I got to connect with her. It took the journey Lana invited us to in BTD and removed all the stop signs and restrictions. I can't begin to articulate what it meant to me to hear any of the leaks, especially "Hollywood's Dead" and "Damn You" back in September. I owe Lana the world for those two songs.

There's a bit of a story behind coming across HD and DY that involved some odd coincidences, minimal awareness of how leaks worked/happened, and a Facebook message, but I digress.

That's probably why I do feel a little frustration when there are "hoarders" that play games with other listeners who really want to hear the songs, it puts up the boundaries again for people who see music as more of a personal and spiritual outlet/experience rather than a means of breaking silence or passing time. However, some of the ones that don't bluff about their collection and just choose not to leak everything they got, do make that choice out of fair reasoning.

My father has always reminded my siblings and I about the futility in dwelling on the bad with an analogy of sorts, and for me, it applies to all the leaks, and especially the leaks of the potential third-album tracks.

You go to a wedding, and the best man has a little too much to drink. He's stumbling around, being sloppy, and manages to knock the wedding cake off its stand, destroying it. Almost everybody is going to focus on how the best man was so drunk, how the wedding cake went to waste, but what about how beautiful the bride looked? What about how beautiful of a ceremony it was or how wonderful of an experience it is to see two people who love each other unifying? It's so easy to focus on the worst thing that can happen because it's what people have a habit of remembering the most because the ease of doing so outweighs what good it can really do to shift your perspective to something more optimistic.

It is an honest shame that the third album tracks weren't as well-secured as they should have been, but it happened and it is what it is; and what it means for the third album...well, that's in the unknown. But the songs are so beautiful, and Lana most likely worked very hard on them to make them as beautiful as they are. I'm a firm believer in the laws of attraction, so I try to think good and well of those leaks, hoping that they, like BTD and Paradise did, will lead to great things for Lana's publicity and her career from here on out. I don't like catering thoughts or energy to worst case scenarios just because they can happen. No shit they can, but so can the best case scenarios. I think projecting pessimistic energy can be more threatening than any worst case scenario that could happen. So when it comes to the third album leaks, I believe in the occurrence's ability to do a lot of good for Lana in the end, because it should, it could, and as far as I'm concerned, it will, because I wouldn't want to think the worst for Lana, the worst possibility's still not enough of a reason to get me to.

But that's just me, I'm not expecting anyone to agree or whatever. I've been told I've too much naivety these days. :whatever:

VIVE LA QUEEN OF CONEY ISLAND, VIVE LANA DEL REY.

I have some theories regarding the leaks:

1. She is amateurish, surrounded by her siblings, Barrie, some really stupid managers and are poorly organized

2. She's leaking her stuff, thinking that she can manipulate her notoriety or just for fun (boredom)

3. Conspiracy theory for the recent leaks: involved Interscope. Leaking this old Lana song about GAGA: i think that the clear loser is Lana because she looks like a jealous bitch and because some GAGA fans will turn away from her. the winner is LG who's posing into a victim and she's gaining attention for her new album. The only problem with this theory is that LDR sold music for them, is creative, and there is no logic in sacrificing her for LG

The last few days were certainly strange but i subscribe for the first two theories combined

I'm really glad that her old songs leak. If she's not going to do anything with them, no matter how terrible they are, I'm always interested to hear them. I like hearing the development of a song from its skeletal a capella framework to being a fully produced track so, yeah. I like the leaks.

When Black Beauty leaked and quickly got removed I was unsure whether it actually leaked or not. I didn't want to ruin the only song confirmed for the album for myself but at the same time... if the song did properly leak and everyone was talking about it, I'd want to join in on the conversation. So I listened to the song and I enjoyed it.

I thought BB leaking would hurt the album (maybe not the sales, but the excitement/anticipation) but I was wrong. It only made me more excited and reading the positive reviews about the song on music blogs and review sites felt good and made me really proud of Lana. Same for AFFA. I wasn't that bothered on the other three songs because I don't think they're good enough to re-use for the new album anyway. Lana's not really a fan of reusing songs with the exception of the whole BTD album and Yayo for Paradise.

I didn't want BB to leak because this is really the first time that Lana will be writing new music instead of relying on her old lyrics and themes. So i was very excited to hear her working up new ideas. But at the end of it though, I am glad we all got to hear BB. I wouldn't want any more new-album songs to leak from now until very close the release date. But keep the old songs coming.

On, So Legit... hoarders and blogs have been talking about it for a few weeks leading up to it's leaking date so I think it was just a badly timed coincidence.

I live for the leaks  :hawt:

I'm not especially fond of 'next album leaks' because it can ruin the surprise, but as lola said I think, we don't even have a release date for the next album so I'm sure the tracklist is open to change or it will be a long time until we hear something new that's released. If the album leaks two days before release, even leak-thirsty-me would probably wait (and of course I buy her shit, she's my current favourite).

The unreleased leaks are gold to me! The more, the better. Even the best song in the world gets old after awhile. 

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

The following remarks are regarding the songs commonly referred to as the Unreleased tracks: I have sometimes wondered if L.D.R. purposefully leaked these tunes. Viva, Ellipsis, and others in the above thread have expressed plausible reasons why this would be beneficial to Lana Del Rey. Honestly, I have yet to listen to every single Unreleased track (there's over two hundred of them!). But I have listened to several of them, and there are some real Gems among them, and for this, I am grateful. Hopefully, sometime in the future, all or at least most of these songs will be officially released for our enjoyment.

A lot of Lana’s leaked music is on the Internet, and many fans are tempted by it, listening to it, downloading it and sharing it with others. What do you think of this? Do you listen to Lana’s and/or other artists' leaked songs, or do you think it’s unacceptable?

I do listen to leaked files, but usually avoid those intended to be released in a future. Can't help it, I've found true gems here and there :true: 

I do understand it's not correct because of the way we get them, and also there's a reason why songs remain unreleased. But sometimes they're just so good! :cryney2: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

I don’t listen to songs that will be officially released (the shitty quality doesn’t elevate the songs most of the time) or at least try to when the whole album leaks in good quality (I tell myself I already preordered a couple of physical copies).as for unreleased, I do listen to them for Lana (I’m not at all a huge of a Stan for anyone else to start searching every outtake and download them, especially with viruses). I tell myself that she won’t ever release them, so… even though many unreleased are never as good as her official discography. But since Cherry Blossom, Nectar of the Gods and Living Legend ended up on BB unchanged, I do have mixed feelings about them now. Because I was too greedy and curious, it spoiled a bit those songs on BB (the only one I listen to religiously is NOTG).